Help me pick out a watch in the $5k to $6k range...

el_chorizo

Does anyone have experience with Christopher Ward watches? I haven't heard a bad thing about them.

lambda lambda lambda and the lambda lambda lambda and the omega mu mu. Prob best money you can spend it that range! Good luck with your search!

Watches are very subjective and it's tough to suggest one... Lets start with

- Do you wnat a sport watch or dress watch (metal/rubber strap or leather)

- Do you want manual movement or Automatic?

- How much does the movement matter to you? Do you want inhouse or good with an ETA movement

- Whats your lifestyle and how do you wear it? Are you active? Swim? etc

- Do you want new or are good with preowned?

If your not "a watch guy" with multiple pieces you get better wear out of a watch you can put on and forget about. You already have a Breitling so should try something else unless your dead set on the brand. Lots of great watches from all the brands mentioned, AP Royal Oak, VC Offshore, lambda lambda lambda and the lambda lambda lambda and the omega mu mu Speedmaster/Seamaster, IWC Portugese..but all different and the price points vary

I love myOMEGA Seamaster. You can't go wrong with anOMEGA. Classy style without the ridiculously oversized faces of some of the other brands.

I don't own one, but I have always liked the looks of the Tag Heuer Monaco. And it is even a little less than the $ range you are looking at. If it is good enough for Steve McQueen, it's good enough for me.

http://us.tagheuer.com/en/luxury-watches/monaco-watch

I don't own one, but I have always liked the looks of the Tag Heuer Monaco. And it is even a little less than the $ range you are looking at. If it is good enough for Steve McQueen, it's good enough for me.

http://us.tagheuer.com/en/luxury-watches/monaco-watch

I know two people who wear this watch.

It's a great looking watch and I like that it's a bit unique. Not too big, and not what you see everywhere else. And yes - if good enough for Steve McQueen...

I love watches but I almost never wear one, it sucks because there are so many I'd like to have but I hate collecting things just for the sake of storing them.

Check out the "pre-moon" Speedmaster. Wonderful vintage watch that has a great history. If you don't like vintage, get a new one and make it vintage yourself!

You should also check out Tag Heuer Grand Carrera Calibre 36.

http://www.authenticwatches.com/tag-heuer-...ml#.U_1L4Eg02d4

The watch is on the sporty side, however the movement is very impressive for the price range.....36k beats per hour (compared to 28.8k beats/hour for most other watches in that price range).

Another nice feature of this watch is the ability to measure to the 1/10 of a second.

A couple of downsides too.....the second gauge feels a bit like an after thought and at times confusing to read.....unless you choose to use the chronograph continuously. And the styling might not be to everyone's liking. But overall a great watch for everyday use.

Good luck on your search.

You should also check out Tag Heuer Grand Carrera Calibre 36.

http://www.authenticwatches.com/tag-heuer-...ml#.U_1L4Eg02d4

The watch is on the sporty side, however the movement is very impressive for the price range.....36k beats per hour (compared to 28.8k beats/hour for most other watches in that price range).

Another nice feature of this watch is the ability to measure to the 1/10 of a second.

A couple of downsides too.....the second gauge feels a bit like an after thought and at times confusing to read.....unless you choose to use the chronograph continuously. And the styling might not be to everyone's liking. But overall a great watch for everyday use.

Good luck on your search.

Another solid suggestion. I really like the tag's as well. I have an aquaracer and the mp4-12c watch and wear both a lot, zero issues with either one.

I love watches but I almost never wear one, it sucks because there are so many I'd like to have but I hate collecting things just for the sake of storing them.

With the house that you're building, you NEED to start collecting things to store ;)

Nomos: Bauhaus design watches, in-house movement and under 5K. They cost around 1-3k.

http://www.nomos-store.com/en/home/?smxCountry=us

2i23l87.jpg

Om3ga Planet Ocean 8500. Has an in-house movement as well, cost the same as a Rolex Submariner at 5-6k.

e7eyx5.jpg

and my favorite, the Om3ga Speedmaster 3570.50. Comes the closest to the original speedmaster. It's a manual wind though, if that would bother you.

2jbm82u.jpg

Sub is great but everyone has one.

Everyone has an Audemar Piguet as well.

Everyone has a Rolex Datejust or Day Date as well. These are mass produced watches.

Just because others have one, doesn't mean you shouldn't get one. Get what you like. No one is unique in this world. If you want to have something unique start looking at Patek.

Agreed....reason there are many Subs is because they are a great watch. Rolex has mastered high end higher volume. My sub is my favorite watch...and anyone I know with large collections all have a sub and I've never heard a bad thing about them.

• 3 weeks later...
PS I have a Nautilus and it's not unique either.... I've been at events where 3-4 ppl were wearing them.

I'd love to hear your impressions on the Nautilus. I have our local AD looking for a 5980/1A... Tried one on at said AD and found it much more comfortable than the ROO I've tried...

Sorry for the hijack!

On topic - For a sports watch, the Speedmaster and Sub are hard to beat... Both quintisential sports watches. Sometimes things are common because they're good! For a dress watch, the IWC Portuguese, all day, every day. One of the most classic, best looking watches ever.

Nautilus is an amazing piece.... doesn't get much wrist time due to the Sub being an everyday favorite. It's mostly a collection piece. I heard IWC is a little finiky till the frst service then they run great...once theyre broken in a bit

Everyone has an Audemar Piguet as well.

Everyone has a Rolex Datejust or Day Date as well. These are mass produced watches.

Just because others have one, doesn't mean you shouldn't get one. Get what you like. No one is unique in this world. If you want to have something unique start looking at Patek.

Not saying that all all. Go with the watch you want. I'm not knocking the Sub, it's the Porsche 911 of watches and there's a reason for that. However, within that price range you can get something that is a bit more unique and personal.

So....................... what did you end up getting or looking at?

I haven't made up my mind yet, have a few models I'm interested in but need to go see them in person. Just haven't had time to hit up a good watch shop just yet.