Huayra challenge in the US!!!

SV-N-IT

I highly doubt Kris has done 60 laps straight at any track, he has clue what he is talking about, and how taxing it is to both car and driver, assuming one is driving to 10/10 of his ability.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I highly doubt Kris has done 60 laps straight at any track, he has clue what he is talking about, and how taxing it is to both car and driver, assuming one is driving to 10/10 of his ability.

Not to worry. Neither of our cars will run 60 laps on a single tank of gas. These high-HP turbo motors are thirsty. The McLaren was getting about 4 MPG at Laguna, which translates into 30 laps per tank. Maybe that's how we should rate mileage on hypercars - LPT :)

Not to worry. Neither of our cars will run 60 laps on a single tank of gas. These high-HP turbo motors are thirsty. The McLaren was getting about 4 MPG at Laguna, which translates into 30 laps per tank. Maybe that's how we should rate mileage on hypercars - LPT :)

Random question... being the P1 is a "hybrid" do they circumvent the Gas Guzzler tax? I'm curious more for the irony than anything.

I'm looking forward to if you have any of the races on the best (left) coast.

Wasnt the original race supposed to take place at Sonoma? Not sure if thats still the plan but ill be there for sure if it is.

As for Kris betting on the P1's batteries going flat... Even without their extra power the P1 will outrun a Huayra. Its no competition, and thats before taking the drivers into consideration.

An update - after looking over the car in service today, we concluded the rear tires should have run with a bit less pressure. They measured 32PSI hot after that last session, and they were more worn in the centers than on the edge. So, for next time, 30 PSI hot all the way around.

Also, regarding driving style - the P1 takes a bit of getting used to. It has a race car chassis & brakes, and more than race car power, but street car tires (albeit good ones) and street car ABS. In the first video, it was being driven by an experienced pro who handled it like a race car: nail the brakes, quick steering wheel movements, etc. It worked OK, but as you can see, plenty of drama.

Here's a lap from my second time out. I was driving and decided to dial back the drama a tick, took my wife as a passenger, and focused on squeeezing the controls. The result: just 1 sec/lap slower (adjusting for 1.3 seconds longer in the sound check zone between 5 and 6), happy tires, and zero drama.

The trick for a really fast lap is going to be being smooth and staying within the tires' modest limits, getting her turned, and letting that awesome powerplant do its thing.

Finally - if Kris is hoping the battery conks out, it reached a steady state on lap 3. There are just too many places where you aren't using full throttle in a 900HP car, and the P1 uses those spots to regen the battery.

thank you, great vid BTW!

just curious does the factory know about this challenge?

thank you, great vid BTW!

just curious does the factory know about this challenge?

I spent this past weekend with McLaren's CEO and several of their senior staff, so I'd say it's safe to say they do now :) They're all enthusiastic about the idea and looking forward to hearing how it goes. Interesting note: they did not volunteer any "special" help at all - they want their product to really stand on its own as a customer car. I like that.

I spent this past weekend with McLaren's CEO and several of their senior staff, so I'd say it's safe to say they do now :) They're all enthusiastic about the idea and looking forward to hearing how it goes. Interesting note: they did not volunteer any "special" help at all - they want their product to really stand on its own as a customer car. I like that.

Good attitude by them. :icon_thumleft:

thats really respectable and bad ass of them. im sure if the car does really well they'll use it in their PR, especially to rub it in some certain italian companies face

I think this is the same P1 I saw at Laguna Seca on Saturday for my Mac track day.

She is stunning in person and they said the owner tracks it hard :)

IMG_7756.JPG

IMG_7757.JPG

Very unfortunate but this happened in Dallas this morning. The car was delivered to the owner just a couple of weeks ago. The driver was hurt (possibly with broken bones) and rushed to the hospital. Prayers to him. A reminder for all of us to be careful when driving these superfast cars, especially on public roads.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1095677...crash-in-dallas

IMG_9424.JPG

I think this is the same P1 I saw at Laguna Seca on Saturday for my Mac track day.

She is stunning in person and they said the owner tracks it hard :)

post-1321-1417028816_thumb.jpg

post-1321-1417028825_thumb.jpg

looks the same ;)

how was your Mac track day?

It was very wet and foggy :(

It was still fun to try out the 650S. We did a street drive, autocross, hot laps on the track and a ride along with a pro. The autocross was my favorite part!

I thought I would be really interested in a Mac after this weekend but it just seemed like it was missing something. It does everything really good but it seemed

like it didn't have the passion or soul that I get when I drive the Huracan or the LP560 for that matter. I do like the way the MP4 looks and love the doors but

not a chance I would pay anything near asking price for one. The 650 didn't look as nice as the MP4 to me.

It was very wet and foggy :(

It was still fun to try out the 650S. We did a street drive, autocross, hot laps on the track and a ride along with a pro. The autocross was my favorite part!

I thought I would be really interested in a Mac after this weekend but it just seemed like it was missing something. It does everything really good but it seemed

like it didn't have the passion or soul that I get when I drive the Huracan or the LP560 for that matter. I do like the way the MP4 looks and love the doors but

not a chance I would pay anything near asking price for one. The 650 didn't look as nice as the MP4 to me.

Try the 458 Speciale :)

I really don't like the front bumper on the 650, there is too much black on the lower part and it looks incomplete.

Try the 458 Speciale :)

or a lowered, full exhaust/race cats, trofeo R tires 650s ;)

its a completely different animal.

the 458 speciale is badass, but I really cant wait for the 458TT!!!!

Congrats with the new ThethetheFerrari FXX-K Treynor!! I want to see you race him in that instead :D

Congrats with the new ThethetheFerrari FXX-K Treynor!! I want to see you race him in that instead :D

^ X2

all these XX cars you have, Ferrari keeps for you? I'm sure it's nice to have the track support/transport/etc. but I think I'd wake up in the middle of the night on occasion and want to go out to my fleet of hyper-race cars and sit in them making car noises, or throw the "regular:" LaF plate on the XX and take it for a blast around town. I guess you have other cool cars for that though.

Have you met Jeff at Ferrari SF? He's one of my best friend and a really great guy.

• 2 months later...