Kevlar Clutches

szabo_martin

Quite a few threads on here about them. I don't know of any Diablo owners with Kevlar clutches that don't like them. I don't do an insane amount of miles but this Kevlar clutch has been on my car for 6+ years.

Thats good to hear. ECT has a segmented kevlar I am contemplating. My cars at Newport with Jeff and it needs a new clutch soon, so figured I'd get the best to do it while it's there

Thought I would share the sentiments of a Lambo tech that was well known by the factory for his knowledge regarding Diablos.

I had brought up Kevlar clutches while he had an engine out in the service department doing a clutch and a full service. I wanted his opinion, since he was actually replacing a Kevlar clutch. Basically his response in so many words; The clutch from the factory is meant to slip after a certain amount, so as NOT to break other components in the driveline(tranny, differentials, driveshafts, crank). He said the Kevlar clutch has no "give", so you risk breaking other components of the vehicle. On a rear wheel drive only diablo, it was not as big of factor, since the rear wheels would break loose, but once there was AWD Diablos there were much great forces involved to get "wheelspin" to take the stress off other components. Made a lot of sense. By the way, he was NOT a fan of Kevlar clutches, because he had seen the extensive and expensive damage done first hand.

I've also heard the same thing Brian just said, that they cause extra strain on drivetrain components etc because they are so grippy and don't give. Did you talk to Jeff directly? What were his opinions?

Jeff is an easy going guy, he says he's seen both good and bad kevlar clutches. He ultimately feels OEM is the prefered choice since they can warranty it. OEM lifespan with E-Gear is a joke, I bet if it were manual I could get double the mileage at least..... just hoping the kevlar would last longer

Prob only an issue if doing excessive launches, no? That should be the only time the driveline and components are under serious stress.

I also have a Kevlar clutch in my Countach.

Been in there since 2003. Works great.

I don't do any stop light street racing dumbass launches in it either.

I also have a Kevlar clutch in my E-gear Murcielago from Hi Tech Exotic. I got about 15,000 miles on my Hi Tech Kevlar and I still have about 70% left. The original stock clutch lasted only 7k miles. I've done some hard take off and I've never had any drive line issues.

I also have a Kevlar clutch in my E-gear Murcielago from Hi Tech Exotic. I got about 15,000 miles on my Hi Tech Kevlar and I still have about 70% left. The original stock clutch lasted only 7k miles. I've done some hard take off and I've never had any drive line issues.

Good to hear some other real life input. I really don't know if Lamborghini did some "beefing up" on certain components that had shown issues in the Diablo.I was also wondering how the clutch would react in an Egear. Thanks frank!

Prob only an issue if doing excessive launches, no? That should be the only time the driveline and components are under serious stress.

That makes sense.

I have a kevlar in the VI diablo. It is still currently AWD.. I just haven't had the time to RWD the car yet..

In the cold the kevlar clutch will actually slip a little as I slowly let out the clutch. You can hear it. If I let the clutch out a little quicker it grips instantly.

The feel of the stock clutch is def more smooth, but the grip of the kevlar can be felt. I can't imagine if you aren't doing a ton of launches you should be fine.

I also have a Kevlar clutch from Hi Tech Exotic in my 2004 E-gear Gallardo. I used to get a lot of bucking with oem but Hi tech Kevlar is a lot smoother. I've put more than 30,000 miles on my Hi Tech Kevlar and I still had 50% left when I did my last snapshot. My original only lasted 8k miles. With an E-gear, it really matters who you get your Kevlar from. The set up is really important when it comes to E-gear.

I have done probably about 10 track weekends with a lot of 8k rpm shifting and I have never had any drive line problems. I got over 40,000 miles on my Gallardo and the gearbox is perfect.

Btw at 8k rpm Hi tech shifts a lot faster and crisper. I can really tell the difference at the track.

Everyone that I know that has a Kevlar clutch in the stick shift cars.. CT, Diablo, and others... love it. (I have had them in two of my own cars with no problems)

All of the talk I have with the e-gear cars however is that no one has been able to get it "right."

• 2 weeks later...
Everyone that I know that has a Kevlar clutch in the stick shift cars.. CT, Diablo, and others... love it. (I have had them in two of my own cars with no problems)

All of the talk I have with the e-gear cars however is that no one has been able to get it "right."

I have a Murcielago with E-gear and Hi Tech Kevlar has been flawless.

Kevlar in countach since I owned... Only replaced it with a new one because the engine was out any ways...

Kevlar in countach since I owned... Only replaced it with a new one because the engine was out any ways...

So you replaced it with the same material (Kevlar)?

Smart move replacing the clutch while the engine is out already.

How did/do you like the Kevlar clutch in the Countach?

I had a multi-disc carbon clutch in my last Murci, it made a lot of noise and was difficult to engage. Ended up replacing with stock.

Multi-plate carbon clutches are great for making big power, but on a mostly stock car, it's useless. Carbon material (or stronger than the organic material) on a stock clutch disc with the factory pressure plate seems like the best option IMO.

I know what you mean and that's why I chose Hi Tech. 04 Gallardo with E-gear is known to have bucking. Mine used to buck a lot with the stock clutch. After installing the Hi Tech Kevlar, it was a lot smoother. Another important thing is that you shouldn't baby the throttle... That causes it to buck.