Stupid remodel question

sprite

I'm thinking I want to get rid of the tub and make the whole space the shower. Something with dual shower heads, steam a little bench and possibly a TV built into the wall, but not really sure how to even go about it? Do I need a plumber, a contractor or architect? I've never done any remodeling so no idea about the scope of what I want to do and how to go about it.

post-8895-1413327714_thumb.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You need a general contractor. He will subcontract all the work like the plumbing, electrical, etc.

Perfect, thanks :)

The tv in the wall could prove pretty challenging, with the special tv, getting cable to it, mounting the box somewhere, and getting the right remote for it. Don't let the cable company touch it unless you want wire stapled across your ceiling lol make sure the guy you get has some sense because it won't be easy. People ask us for the tv in the wall all the time but choose not to do it because of the labor involved but every situation is different, you might have cable right on the other side of the wall.

Is this a house or condo? You have access to the space above the ceiling?

Your biggest unknown is plumbing feeds, multi-head showers need big pipes. Or like fortis, a fire hose.

Other than that it's a cake job for a decent plumber and tile guy. GC is a little overkill imo, but it's insurance in that one guy is responsible for it not being a clusterfuck.

On the remodel scale, this is an advanced DIY job, don't overthink it.

I recommend perusing to houzz.com in order to pick out the style or design you most desire. What you see in your noggin may not be what a gc or tile fellow sees in his/her.

TV in the shower is going to be tough due to steam, hidden way to do it is behind the mirror in the sink area.

Some Linn sweetspots in the ceiling, hooked up to Sonos ConnectAmp and your good to go.

Heat the floor including shower floor, have a look at linear drains so you have no kerb and a clean floor look.

Curbless shower

7de76e411bef4821ae11e1d24b9baaab.jpg

Not in your area or I could have bid on your project.

TV in the shower is going to be tough due to steam, hidden way to do it is behind the mirror in the sink area.

Some Linn sweetspots in the ceiling, hooked up to Sonos ConnectAmp and your good to go.

Heat the floor including shower floor, have a look at linear drains so you have no kerb and a clean floor look.

Curbless shower

7de76e411bef4821ae11e1d24b9baaab.jpg

Not in your area or I could have bid on your project.

That looks awesome! I was going to suggest to Sprite why not get a shower/sauna installed in that space.

And remember once you start adding the steam showers and extra heat you'll probably have to open up some other walls for more electric for all the extra goodies.

Is this a house or condo? You have access to the space above the ceiling?

Your biggest unknown is plumbing feeds, multi-head showers need big pipes. Or like fortis, a fire hose.

Other than that it's a cake job for a decent plumber and tile guy. GC is a little overkill imo, but it's insurance in that one guy is responsible for it not being a clusterfuck.

On the remodel scale, this is an advanced DIY job, don't overthink it.

It's a condo, so I'm guessing that will complicate things. It's just something I'm considering, but not sure if it's worth the hassle, might just try to grab a penthouse or move to a newer building instead of starting to remodel. I just don't like the shower cause it's small and I never use the bathtub (I also have a bathtub/shower combo in the guest bathroom, so I don't see a need for one in the main bath). I think the ceilings have around a foot of space that I have access to where the AC ducts and sprinklers run.

It's a condo, so I'm guessing that will complicate things. It's just something I'm considering, but not sure if it's worth the hassle, might just try to grab a penthouse or move to a newer building instead of starting to remodel. I just don't like the shower cause it's small and I never use the bathtub (I also have a bathtub/shower combo in the guest bathroom, so I don't see a need for one in the main bath). I think the ceilings have around a foot of space that I have access to where the AC ducts and sprinklers run.

This is one of those things that will undoubtedly add value, but the "while we're in there" could turn into a $35k bathroom.

Steam generators are cool but pretty spendy and take up a decent amount of space. Moisture control will be a big (expensive) headache.

I do like the linear slot/trench drain idea eddie mentioned, they look super clean. If you need one you can drive a truck over i'm your man :D

With it being a condo you will have problems if you go for the "curbless shower" or as we call them wet room floor because you have to feature the water runaway and that would mean strengthening the floor and/or raising it. Tricky in a condo.

You could go for a larger built in shower with tray etc and that will be the path of least resistance, adding in a TV will be the challenge.

With it being a condo you will have problems if you go for the "curbless shower" or as we call them wet room floor because you have to feature the water runaway and that would mean strengthening the floor and/or raising it. Tricky in a condo.

You could go for a larger built in shower with tray etc and that will be the path of least resistance, adding in a TV will be the challenge.

Thanks. I think if I do anything that will be the way to go.

If your condo floors are constructed with planks(concrete planks) or post tensioned concrete you are in for a world of hurt. Moving plumbing around will be a nightmare and involve moving around in your neighbors units, which is never a good thing.

Came here to post the exact same advice!

:icon_thumleft:

Going through the early stages of this at the moment.

best advice I can give you for a bathroom remodel in a condo, "get ready for a shock when you get a quote"

Use a contractor and have him sub all the trades out, Make sure he has all licenses and insurances as a water leak in a condo can cause major damage to units below you. You might want to use a designer also so you know what you are going to end up with.

Going through the early stages of this at the moment.

best advice I can give you for a bathroom remodel in a condo, "get ready for a shock when you get a quote"

Use a contractor and have him sub all the trades out, Make sure he has all licenses and insurances as a water leak in a condo can cause major damage to units below you. You might want to use a designer also so you know what you are going to end up with.

Tell me about it. We had a water leak here due to some idiot on the 31st floor using the sprinkler as a coat hanger. 5 floors got water damage and it also broke the elevators as they shorted out. Luckily the condo was on the ball and there was 50 people here within an hour setting up heaters on all the floors, removing wallpaper and going through each unit with infrared cameras. My unit wasn't affected, but a friend ended up getting a brand new floor.

Just something to consider, you are actually reducing the resale value by pulling out the tub. Big showers are cool, but you are losing some of the functionality of the space.

Just something to consider, you are actually reducing the resale value by pulling out the tub. Big showers are cool, but you are losing some of the functionality of the space.

You think? That seems super buyer dependent, especially with a tub in the other bathroom. If I was forced to choose, I would take 50 sq/ft shower over a typical 3x3 with a secondary tub.

You think? That seems super buyer dependent, especially with a tub in the other bathroom. If I was forced to choose, I would take 50 sq/ft shower over a typical 3x3 with a secondary tub.

100% buyer dependent

If you have kids or are a woman you want a bathtub if you're a bachelor you want a sick shower.

100% buyer dependent

If you have kids or are a woman you want a bathtub if you're a bachelor you want a sick shower.

I agree but there are a lot more families than bachelors buying property.