Backup power home generator

Redlambo

I have been considering installing a permanent propane powered backup generator at my house.

It is not uncommon for us to lose power at the house several times during the year.

Most of the time it is just of for a few seconds or minutes, however a few times we had been left in the dark for the better part of a day or two.

I was wondering if anyone here has a backup generator or has any experience with them.

I am not trying to run my whole house off of it, just the basics, refrigerators, stove, some lights, and power the fans in my LP powered fire place inserts.

Basically thinking about a 15KW unit with a 200 amp transfer switch that I can plumb into my existing 500 gallon buried propane tank.

Feedback is appreciated. Sincerely Vic

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have been looking into it as well. so far, key features are

dual fuel - propane and gasoline

automatic or remote start

noise level rating (besides keeping it quiet for yourself, you don't wanna attract unnecessary attention announcing you have power in an outage)

I was visiting my mom about a week ago when her whole city lost power. As I drove down her street, I saw one house completely lit up and could clearly hear the sound of a large generator running. I had two simultaneous thoughts; first, it must be nice to have that backup option, and second, wow that makes for a nice brightly lit target if there was an extended problem. I'll likely have a backup generator when I buy a house and I think they're great but just don't forget to keep your lights low and your shotgun ready if the outage drags on longer than a day or two.

my parents had a natural gas genny installed after their power went out a few times last year and the portable one annoyed the hell out of them (and makes you a target to get it stolen). I want to say the one they had installed was Generac brand 13kw or 15kw and powers all their "necessities". I want to say it was around $10k installed and as you'd expect, once they had it put in, the power has not gone out since :P

Every home I own has one. The smallest I would buy us a 20kw. Buy name brand with sound reduction. Air cooled is fine for most applications but I have a 45kw on my last house that was liquid cooled and super quiet, shop it around. In Florida they gouge you if you don't know your stuff. For my 20kw, I got prices from $10-16k installed. $10-12k is reasonable, buy the sevice package so they come and change the oil 1-2 times a year unless you are handy, it is super simple. But don't forget to do the service or you won't have electricity when you need it. You can ever monitor the new ones from your iPhone.

I would not live without one, a couple of years a go we went on vacation and the power went out in the winter due to a bad snowstorm, the lines were down for 5 days. Had we not had a generator, we would have come home to a mess.

Vic, I have a generac 17kw bought online new a few years ago for 3300. install cost extra 2000. for gas line s and electrician...works great when needed but for a long power outage it really eats the propane.

andyc

I've been looking into it as well... My house is ALL electric.... No propane, no nat gas.

I'm always worried I'm going to be sold more than I need though...

Don't know if anyone's home is near a moving water source, but if so, you could also install a water wheel that is tied to an electrical generator.

My best friend works for a mom/pop place that installs these for a living and when I was out of work 2 years ago I helped out on some jobs around the holidays. Feel free to ask any questions and I will get legit no BS answers from him. I do know they work heavily with Lowes and install only Kholer or Generac.

For what it is worth when I build I won't think TWICE about having one installed.

I've been looking into it as well... My house is ALL electric.... No propane, no nat gas.

20k will power most every home and will keep everything running, ac, heat, washer, dryer...etc. you can cut the size down, but then they out cut out switches in your breaker of to shut things off. You can do it yourself for lots less by purchasing thru lowes or Home Depot but then you are responsible. My houses have 2 or more breaker boxes and I just did not want to screw with it. Of all the people on here, you need one.

Have had a generac 15kw for 8 years ...powers the house, gate ,barn ,barn heaters, well pump,water line heaters for horses.....everything automatically. I love it and would never be without one.

Generac now makes a variable speed one that will ramp up as you use more power and slow down when you don't. Buy as big as you need to power your whole house. I never understood people only wanting a few things runnng. When the power is out I want the option to turn on anything

Have had a generac 15kw for 8 years ...powers the house, gate ,barn ,barn heaters, well pump,water line heaters for horses.....everything automatically. I love it and would never be without one.

Generac now makes a variable speed one that will ramp up as you use more power and slow down when you don't. Buy as big as you need to power your whole house. I never understood people only wanting a few things runnng. When the power is out I want the option to turn on anything

My buddy's company loves Generac more then Kholer; he says they offer better service for less money.

A reputable place shouldn't do that to you. If you get a quote you can PM the numbers ($ vs kW) and I can have my buddy look it over to tell you if they are taking you to the cleaners.

Its not propane powered but for others who want a basic portable system:

I have a Honda eu2000 with a separate 5 gallon tank for my toy hauler.

Supposedly it can run 9 hours on one gallon.

It cost me roughly $1100.

Here is a video of a guy using it to power the basic necessities of his house.

If you are going to strictly use it for your house, I would go with a bigger Honda generator.

What do you want to have running after the power goes out?

You're the cutest wheels :icon_pai:

Around where I live, there are lots of homes that are built alongside some big creeks. They often freeze up in the winter time, but otherwise, they move with a pretty strong current that could probably turn a water wheel. With a water wheel driving a generator, you can basically have a permanent power source that doesn't require fuel to operate it and also doesn't make any noise. I don't know if such a wheel could power a whole house, my understanding is the power would be limited given the size of wheel, but for running say a refrigerator, some lights, basic things like that, it can work.

There are also water turbines some companies make. Here is a site on water wheels and water turbines:

LINK

Also two water wheel manufacturers:

Water Wheel Factory

Water Wheel Place

We lose power if a swarm of butterflies go by. When Sandy hit, we were one of the few with a generator. RDad, there's no such thing as too big. If possible you want the whole house powered. That includes the AC and the Heating system. Better to have too much and not a lose a refrigerator and freezer full of food and or have pipes break in the winter.

You want it to be automatic. When the power goes out the genny panel takes over. I have a propane tank in ground that I use for the pool, generator and BBQ.

Edit: They also have generators that run on home heating fuel if you have that as an existing fuel source

Around where I live, there are lots of homes that are built alongside some big creeks. They often freeze up in the winter time, but otherwise, they move with a pretty strong current that could probably turn a water wheel. With a water wheel driving a generator, you can basically have a permanent power source that doesn't require fuel to operate it and also doesn't make any noise. I don't know if such a wheel could power a whole house, my understanding is the power would be limited given the size of wheel, but for running say a refrigerator, some lights, basic things like that, it can work.

There are also water turbines some companies make. Here is a site on water wheels and water turbines:

LINK

Also two water wheel manufacturers:

Water Wheel Factory

Water Wheel Place

No way state or federal land will allow you to put a contraption in their water to power your house unless it's regulated.

Around where I live, there are lots of homes that are built alongside some big creeks. They often freeze up in the winter time, but otherwise, they move with a pretty strong current that could probably turn a water wheel.

Proof that there is water on Mars!

No way state or federal land will allow you to put a contraption in their water to power your house unless it's regulated.

That could be doable. There are also ways to route water from the source onto your own property to use (might also require permission though). Also some people have such water sources flowing through their own property. And lots of members on here are fairly affluent and beyond, so they could well have their own water sources flowing on their property that they could maybe tap into.

That could be doable. There are also ways to route water from the source onto your own property to use (might also require permission though). Also some people have such water sources flowing through their own property. And lots of members on here are fairly affluent and beyond, so they could well have their own water sources flowing on their property that they could maybe tap into.

make_it_stop.jpg

:iamwithstupid: Wheels I lived in New York for 21 years, there is no fcuking way they would permit such a thing.

Besides I do not want to become a power company, I just want to keep my refrigerators running along with the forced air fans on two propane power fireplace inserts so my family does not freeze during an ice storm.