Driving The Pacific Coast Highway

szabo_martin

Talk to one of your young relatives or a friend who's up for a free holiday and a bit of adventure get them a small rental car and tell them to follow, if they are into video and photography even better, problem solved, you welcome :icon_mrgreen:

:iamwithstupid:

I like the way you think

*I just did the drive from San Fran to Big Sur yesterday. I was unreal. Don't miss the tunnel at half moon day for noise in the Murci when you drop it down a gear...or two.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its great the whole way to Oregon and then some. I used to ride up it with my dad(i miss him) the whole way to Seattle. there are a few spots that are kinda boring but 80% of it is amazing,

• 1 month later...

This has been a really informative thread guys. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I was thinking of a similar trip in late April / early May for 7 days. How does the following itinerary sound:

-fly into SF

-2 nights / 3 days SF

-drive SF - Monterey

-1 night Monterey/Big Sur

-drive Monterey - Cambria

-1 night Cambria

-drive Cambria - Santa Barbara

-1 night Santa Barbara

-drive Santa Barbara - Santa Monica (with a stop into Mugu Rock)

-1 night Santa Monica

-drive Santa Monica - LAX

-fly home

Does this make sense? Suggestions on where to stay in Cambria / Santa Barbara / Santa Monica ? Thanks in advance.

This has been a really informative thread guys. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I was thinking of a similar trip in late April / early May for 7 days. How does the following itinerary sound:

-fly into SF

-2 nights / 3 days SF

-drive SF - Monterey

-1 night Monterey/Big Sur

-drive Monterey - Cambria

-1 night Cambria

-drive Cambria - Santa Barbara

-1 night Santa Barbara

-drive Santa Barbara - Santa Monica (with a stop into Mugu Rock)

-1 night Santa Monica

-drive Santa Monica - LAX

-fly home

Does this make sense? Suggestions on where to stay in Cambria / Santa Barbara / Santa Monica ? Thanks in advance.

Loews Santa Monica is a good place to stay in SM. You can also stay just a few miles down the road in Beverly Hills at the Beverly Wilshire or Peninsula hotel. You'll be relatively close to Santa Monica, and you can walk around Rodeo and drive locally into West Hollywood, L.A. and downtown to take in the sites.

This thread inspired me, took a day trip to Carmel. I have never done the 17 mile drive, so I decided to give it a go. I recommend it to everyone! Since they charge $10 to enter, you get to see some solid views of the coast without the crowd. Good idea is to bring a nice picnic with you, so you can eat and take in the coast semi-privately. This was at Pebble Beach last Wednesday:

ySJb5UK.jpg

6ocnCTC.jpg

d6his3h.jpg

Wish I was a picture guy! I like soaking it in my brain rather than take pictures :D

This thread inspired me, took a day trip to Carmel. I have never done the 17 mile drive, so I decided to give it a go. I recommend it to everyone! Since they charge $10 to enter, you get to see some solid views of the coast without the crowd. Good idea is to bring a nice picnic with you, so you can eat and take in the coast semi-privately. This was at Pebble Beach last Wednesday:

Wish I was a picture guy! I like soaking it in my brain rather than take pictures :D

Man, you woke up, read the C70 thread and picked up a new 4 convertible just for the trip.

Amazing. :icon_thumleft: :icon_mrgreen:

Man, you woke up, read the C70 thread and picked up a new 4 convertible just for the trip.

Amazing. :icon_thumleft: :icon_mrgreen:

:lol2: :icon_mrgreen: :D

BTW, you've been quite about the 9ers recently! I'm rooting for GB and NE next week!

Need to do this drive one of these days.

Hope to move to LA area from this Canadian cold one of these days (szabo_martin) can relate ha ha.

I just did the drive from San Fran, Monterey, Carmel, Santa Barbara, Pasadena, the flew out of LA over 7 days... was amazing!

That is a drive I am dying to do at some point. Do you have any pictures from along the way?

I just did the drive from San Fran, Monterey, Carmel, Santa Barbara, Pasadena, the flew out of LA over 7 days... was amazing!

What was the route you took and what places/hotels did you stop at overnight along the way? That's pretty much what I'm planning to do as well...