Huracan tested by Top Gear - Spoilers

falconsprint

You're first mistake was ever listening to people on the Internet! The second, would be assuming anybody on the Internet actually cared what you thought. :icon_mrgreen:

But like I prefaced it, a "bit" hyperbolic; not completely.

The cars performance and sales figures can't be denied. It's "popular" by whatever metric you so choose and that's great for the bottom line. It's the Lamborghini for the "trendy kids" and those who want to get noticed for having the "latest and greatest." In the most pejorative sense for 90%, it's the "Poser's Lambo." There are still 10% or less who love the brand, love the car and are excited for a new model. I won't deny that exists or doesn't have a place. That's good there is that genuine support and interest. But with that 90% in mind, I expect a high-rate of turnover with this new model, as something else from some other company inevitably comes out, and all of a sudden a ton of people "need to be in X instead," because it's vogue.

When I first saw the concept sketches and renderings and the strategy behind it, and then the result, I wasn't pleased. And sure driving fast brings a smile to my face, but I can get that same result in a handful of other cars. It's not just about "behind the wheel" for me, but I don't deny that i'm overly picky and particular about what kind of car excites me.

The older I get, the less and less the "new stuff" excite me. It's all just a video game, and that's not really my personal preference on cars. So the more I see it, examine it, evaluate it, the less and less I like it, the less it does for me, and the less I'm interested. And as I've never really cared for the non-V12 Lambo's, aside from the SL's and STS, the car does nothing absolutely nothing for me.

I'm curious, what do you like?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The cars performance and sales figures can't be denied. It's "popular" by whatever metric you so choose and that's great for the bottom line. It's the Lamborghini for the "trendy kids" and those who want to get noticed for having the "latest and greatest." In the most pejorative sense for 90%, it's the "Poser's Lambo." There are still 10% or less who love the brand, love the car and are excited for a new model. I won't deny that exists or doesn't have a place. That's good there is that genuine support and interest. But with that 90% in mind, I expect a high-rate of turnover with this new model, as something else from some other company inevitably comes out, and all of a sudden a ton of people "need to be in X instead," because it's vogue.

What are you talking about? "Poser's Lambo"? Deadmaus is building a "Purracan" and Dane Cook bought two of them to start his "car collection"!

post-145816-1422581062.png

danecook.jpg

All joking aside, of course there will be a large chunk who are buying to have the "latest and greatest". That's been happening since the birth of the automobile. The Huracan is the second Lamborghini built by accountants. The first was the G. Hopefully the Huracan SL will bring the crazy back and change a few minds kind of like the 991 GT3 did. Every Porsche purist bemoaned the lack of a manual, hated the idea of the new steering, and had no faith in the non Mezger engine. Then they drove it and some fell in love all over again. If the SLH is anything like the G versions, and doesn't catch on fire and have a halt in deliveries and massive recalls (GT3), maybe it will change some minds. I personally didn't like the looks of the Huracan at first and still wish the rear was a little less conservative, but it has grown on me... a lot.

My high school years were kind of a blur haha but something one of my teachers said to me still sticks with me, after telling her that the subject she was teaching was rubbish and useless (in much nicer words) she said:

"Never say you don't like something you know nothing about and/or you haven't experienced for yourself."

From that day on I was mainly judging things on aesthetics until I got to experience them if I ever had the chance.

How can I share my opinion on something I haven't fully experienced myself? Yes I could listen to rubbish you are spurting and take it as gospel but that's not in the nature of an egotistical asshole LOL

The thing is that none of what you just said matters if you get behind the wheel and enjoy the crap out of it, you might not but you just might, that's the point you are missing, none of your preconceptions or ideas have any value if you deprive yourself of the opportunity of experiencing it for yourself, what if?

I am sure if you will ever have the opportunity to enjoy one for a few days on your favorite roads you will think of what I was telling you,anyway, I've tried, my mission ends here, enjoy LOL

To that I ask, "Have you ever had sex with a man? And if no, why not?"

To that I ask, "Have you ever had sex with a man? And if no, why not?"

I am literally lost for words, is that the best analogy you could come up with ?? :lol2:

Ok I think it's about time to drop it, I will enjoy my shitbox Huracan and you enjoy whatever shitbox you've spent your hard earned on :icon_thumleft:

are you talking about why I like the Huracan over the 650s? Here is post I made awhile back comparing the 2

Yeah, awesome write up! Thx!

What are you talking about? "Poser's Lambo"? Deadmaus is building a "Purracan" and Dane Cook bought two of them to start his "car collection"!

post-145816-1422581062.png

danecook.jpg

All joking aside, of course there will be a large chunk who are buying to have the "latest and greatest". That's been happening since the birth of the automobile. The Huracan is the second Lamborghini built by accountants. The first was the G. Hopefully the Huracan SL will bring the crazy back and change a few minds kind of like the 991 GT3 did. Every Porsche purist bemoaned the lack of a manual, hated the idea of the new steering, and had no faith in the non Mezger engine. Then they drove it and some fell in love all over again. If the SLH is anything like the G versions, and doesn't catch on fire and have a halt in deliveries and massive recalls (GT3), maybe it will change some minds. I personally didn't like the looks of the Huracan at first and still wish the rear was a little less conservative, but it has grown on me... a lot.

Wasnt there a member here who bought two huracans? I know one was white, but i dont remember if the other was black or not.

We're never going to bridge the divide between buying priorities of old vs. new. Seeing Countach prices skyrocket toward 400k, a Lambo friend of mine asked if I were looking to burn 400k, would I still buy a Countach for that much or would I buy an Aventador. I didn't buy my "old" car because it's cheaper than a new one, or else it wouldn't have taken me two years to find the right one. I'd still burn as much cash on the Countach and he would not. No big deal. Hell, I'd still say the same thing for the Diablo if it were 400k. I can't force anyone to buy the Countach any more than they can force me to buy a new car. There will always be the new cars that old car buyers say are devoid of meaning and old cars that new car buyers think are tired junk. Both sides are trying to hit a nerve and hopefully everyone will buy whichever one their heart tells them is right, but understanding that priorities are different is the only way to get together. We can always have Lambos in common, we're just getting different things out of the relationship with the cars. Just because I don't buy other models with my money doesn't mean I can't appreciate their good qualities.

To the old car lovers, there's no going back. If there was, the old cars would be less special and we love them because they are so special. We love them because they take us to a different time and place, which a new car can't do. Lambo hasn't cornered the marked on sucking with all their new-fangled tech and spiffy stealth fighter vibe. Everything in our lives is getting suckier and less fun as human progress takes its course in the pursuit of safer, more comfortable, longer lives. It's just that old guys have something to compare today with, and generally won't like it. There are even a few old guys who love new cars, but again their priorities are different than most old guys.

To Nero's last points that the newer cars are,

"Not special" A function of production numbers and overall [exotic car] market saturation influencing the inflation of exclusivity. I would say it was unavoidable and out of Lamborghini's control. The degree of desirability becomes diluted when we have a market stratified into multiple already-high price ranges across a fleet of exotic car options. None of that existed in in 1965/75/85. Now, exclusivity comes at a price exponentially higher than it did thirty years ago. It's actually the old cars being so inspiring that are to blame for the market we have today.

"Boring" Maybe, maybe not, beauty being in the eye of the beholder. I like all Lambos, but would only pay money for certain ones. The Audis aren't really my bag, but my boy is still excited by them. Granted, his tastes lie more on the Sesto/Veneno fringe as I would expect of any normal little boy. If the polarizing Veneno is any judge, I think they're still capable of great things even if the company changes dramatically. Consumers are just a tougher crowd than they used to be.

"Fashion accessories" The Countach was the flashy accessory of the 80s just the same. I don't envision the average person who was buying a new Countach then as being a die-hard passion fueled enthusiast. I see the new car buyer in the 80s as being not much different from a lot of new car buyers today because the priorities in buying the newest car are the same. They bought the Countach, held onto it for a year or two, sold it, and bought something else. Their psyches weren't tied to it, emotionally enslaved by the icon or anything like what old guys go through, haha.

Complex and gimmicky? Simply satisfying consumer demands. Although I'd agree that consumers don't always know what they want and listening to them too much can stifle creativity. That's where I hope Lambo doesn't get too far off track and walks the line most effectively between what they want to do and what they can do and still be profitable. If anyone has a license to be extreme, it's Lamborghini, and they should exercise that to the greatest extent possible within their means or else they will lose touch with the singular element that put them on the map in the first place.

This is more interesting: Grip drives Huracan against stop watch on mountain road versus Audi R8 V10, Lancia Delta S4, and finally Walter Röhrl in Porsche Turbo S

I hate it when people talk in foreign languages. It makes it hard to understand and stuff.

We're never going to bridge the divide between buying priorities of old vs. new. Seeing Countach prices skyrocket toward 400k, a Lambo friend of mine asked if I were looking to burn 400k, would I still buy a Countach for that much or would I buy an Aventador. I didn't buy my "old" car because it's cheaper than a new one, or else it wouldn't have taken me two years to find the right one. I'd still burn as much cash on the Countach and he would not. No big deal. Hell, I'd still say the same thing for the Diablo if it were 400k. I can't force anyone to buy the Countach any more than they can force me to buy a new car. There will always be the new cars that old car buyers say are devoid of meaning and old cars that new car buyers think are tired junk. Both sides are trying to hit a nerve and hopefully everyone will buy whichever one their heart tells them is right, but understanding that priorities are different is the only way to get together. We can always have Lambos in common, we're just getting different things out of the relationship with the cars. Just because I don't buy other models with my money doesn't mean I can't appreciate their good qualities.

To the old car lovers, there's no going back. If there was, the old cars would be less special and we love them because they are so special. We love them because they take us to a different time and place, which a new car can't do. Lambo hasn't cornered the marked on sucking with all their new-fangled tech and spiffy stealth fighter vibe. Everything in our lives is getting suckier and less fun as human progress takes its course in the pursuit of safer, more comfortable, longer lives. It's just that old guys have something to compare today with, and generally won't like it. There are even a few old guys who love new cars, but again their priorities are different than most old guys.

"Not special" A function of production numbers and overall [exotic car] market saturation influencing the inflation of exclusivity. I would say it was unavoidable and out of Lamborghini's control. The degree of desirability becomes diluted when we have a market stratified into multiple already-high price ranges across a fleet of exotic car options. None of that existed in in 1965/75/85. Now, exclusivity comes at a price exponentially higher than it did thirty years ago. It's actually the old cars being so inspiring that are to blame for the market we have today.

"Boring" Maybe, maybe not, beauty being in the eye of the beholder. I like all Lambos, but would only pay money for certain ones. The Audis aren't really my bag, but my boy is still excited by them. Granted, his tastes lie more on the Sesto/Veneno fringe as I would expect of any normal little boy. If the polarizing Veneno is any judge, I think they're still capable of great things even if the company changes dramatically. Consumers are just a tougher crowd than they used to be.

"Fashion accessories" The Countach was the flashy accessory of the 80s just the same. I don't envision the average person who was buying a new Countach then as being a die-hard passion fueled enthusiast. I see the new car buyer in the 80s as being not much different from a lot of new car buyers today because the priorities in buying the newest car are the same. They bought the Countach, held onto it for a year or two, sold it, and bought something else. Their psyches weren't tied to it, emotionally enslaved by the icon or anything like what old guys go through, haha.

Complex and gimmicky? Simply satisfying consumer demands. Although I'd agree that consumers don't always know what they want and listening to them too much can stifle creativity. That's where I hope Lambo doesn't get too far off track and walks the line most effectively between what they want to do and what they can do and still be profitable. If anyone has a license to be extreme, it's Lamborghini, and they should exercise that to the greatest extent possible within their means or else they will lose touch with the singular element that put them on the map in the first place.

I hate it when people talk in foreign languages. It makes it hard to understand and stuff.

Most excellent post. Thank you.

To add to it, would I buy Countach/Diablo? Never, past dreams. Although I'd admire one (being in my neighbor's garage).

On the other hand, Aventador, Huracan, 650, 918, 458 are fair game being most advanced in design/technology.

I don't envision the average person who was buying a new Countach then as being a die-hard passion fueled enthusiast.

I think you hit the nail on the head right there :icon_thumleft:

SingleSeat excellent post, mature and intelligent, anyone who thinks Countaches in the 80's weren't bought by the majority for the same reasons modern Lambos are being bought for today need to brush up on their Lambo history textbooks :icon_mrgreen:

I don't remember seeing photos of your Countach, any chance we can see some?

Complete lap :icon_thumleft:

How does he know where he's going? LOL

Also the Huracan can be faster, they used the wrong color, everyone knows Rosso is much faster!

I am literally lost for words, is that the best analogy you could come up with ?? :lol2:

Ok I think it's about time to drop it, I will enjoy my shitbox Huracan and you enjoy whatever shitbox you've spent your hard earned on :icon_thumleft:

I figured you would get a kick out of that! It seemed the most entertaining for our discussion.

Enjoy that shitbox indeed 😉

SingleSeat excellent post, mature and intelligent, anyone who thinks Countaches in the 80's weren't bought by the majority for the same reasons modern Lambos are being bought for today need to brush up on their Lambo history textbooks :icon_mrgreen:

I don't remember seeing photos of your Countach, any chance we can see some?

I have a Diablo, and wish I had a Countach to go with it.

I have a Diablo, and wish I had a Countach to go with it.

Sorry my mistake, now that you've mentioned it I remember it reading that you own a Diablo.

you make many good, valid, and well thought out points

I would say however the 80s Countach owner was nothing like todays Aventador and Hurican owner.

I do think many were driving enthusiast, maybe not in the senc of Porsche or Ferrari. If you want pure driving you need a race car, period. NO street car can compare at all, so that neuters things quite a bit. While a good deal of *0s Countach buys were the chest hair and gold chain crowd they still were interested in driving that things out in the back roads and country, they did not come on message boards or wherever they went and discuss how easy it was to drive to work, or dinner, or showing off at the trendy club or coffee shop. The also sure as hell dint lease cars, get loans, worry about depreciation or trade in values. they wrote the check and had a blast in it, they weren't worried about trading it in in two years when Lamborghini has their require tiny little gimmicky change to create new sales to the same peole looking to show off two years ago wanting to one up current owners today with a special "nero edition" or "Louis Viton" or whatever BS they spew up. The Countach did evolve and got flashier for sure, but it was typical Italian passion and flair and oomph, not " we need to grow the 4th quarter profit, what body kit can we design for a car and charge 10x more for it"

Theres plenty of topics on here for people crying about how hard the SL shifts or rough the single clutch is....please. Those people just want a car as boring as an Audi or MB with the flash of a Lambo. They want nothing to do with the driving experience

I am exceptional at being grumpy, it's taken years of practice!

:) Don't forget about calling yourself an asshole. That honesty and bravery is unheard of.

If you you are an US citizen, you can run for a President! I'd vote for you in a jiffy! :)

How dare you apply common sense to the whole discussion? Complaining about a business run by capitalists, located in a capitalist country in a capitalist market that their intentions are to increase their bottom line by developing and marketing their product in such way is juvenile at best, those who do that should be handed a free ticket to their mother land N. Korea. they better hurry because those places are becoming scarcer by the day, I wonder why :eusa_think:

I don't care who you are and where you are the main goal of your day to day activities revolve around you doing things in order to put bread on your table, unless you believe the tooth fair owes you something and you are waiting for her to deliver.

There are many types of buyers, looks like the whole market is content with what they are given, new cars sell better than ever (they must be doing something right) older cars start to get the appreciation they always deserved, even older cars are becoming highly sought after and becoming the classics they deserve to be, new cars will be the classics of tomorrow because things go around in the same circle as they've been going for generations, I don't understand why some are lacking the acceptance, either way I think I've reached a certain maturity level in my life where I am done trying to save the world and unfortunately learning to accept that the world is quite full of assholes and there isn't a God damn thing I can do about it :icon_mrgreen:

Doing my best not to become one but it's getting harder by the day! LOL

+1

Well said my friend.

:) Don't forget about calling yourself an asshole. That honesty and bravery is unheard of.

If you you are an US citizen, you can run for a President! I'd vote for you in a jiffy! :)

Never for politics. :lol2: