Have Diablo Prices started to Move

snakchmr

Countach prices are listed high but selling. I have seen that diablo prices have now gone up, that is asking prices, my Question is are they selling. What is the current market price for a 98 or 99 diablo Roadster. I saw the few on e bay and Cats, I can not understnd almost $400k, am I missing somthing?

Thanks

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to add to the OP's question - May I ask what has caused the price of these cars 98 - 2001 to go up so dramatically in the last few months? Last year if I remember correctly a 98 Diablo well kept would fetch 140 - 150, now the prices have doubled if not more. I see the 94-96 VTs are hovering around 140 now not as much of an increase. There is a 98 SV on ebay that the gent is asking 360K. I know you can ask what you want, but is this reality of what the market is pushing for these end of design years? I have a 98 Monterey Edition #5 with just about 13K miles and I sure hope this is true. I sure hope the market experts will chime in i.e. Roy Cats

The stock market has also run into headwinds and is slowing. A correction may be imminent based on prior market actions and interest rate adjustments. The speculators(as already said) are snatching up alternative investments and the Diablo has made that list. I think autos out-paced art last year for ROI and that gets attention from those speculators.

Given the production numbers, the value of the Countach and Miura leading the charge, the rawness of the car lacking in new cars, the ppl who had them on their walls as teens now having the money to buy them..... 3000 units produced... Im amazed it took this long. Also the cache of having been the worlds fastest car for a while.

Countach prices are listed high but selling. I have seen that diablo prices have now gone up, that is asking prices, my Question is are they selling. What is the current market price for a 98 or 99 diablo Roadster. I saw the few on e bay and Cats, I can not understnd almost $400k, am I missing somthing?

Thanks

There have been in excess of 10 confimed roadster sales in the past 2-3 months, one week saw 5 sold....and I participated in a couple as mentor for new owners. The best buy I've seen during that timeframe was a Millenium car for $180k. Sold in 3 days.

You better be prepared to pay $175k for a good '97 or '98 roadster and around $200k for a '99. That was the market 6 weeks ago, I'm hearing there has been additional movement since but you might be able to secure a car for those figures even now.

You throw up a wanted thread for those prices and I bet you get nibbles.

Just got back from a drive in my '99......top off, 50 degrees and sunny. Every drive is an occasion, can't beat it.

I would like to add to the OP's question - May I ask what has caused the price of these cars 98 - 2001 to go up so dramatically in the last few months? Last year if I remember correctly a 98 Diablo well kept would fetch 140 - 150, now the prices have doubled if not more.

The rise is WAY more dramatic than that. In January 2014 I ran a PPI on a '98 roadster with higher miles (27k), and the negotiated price was $100k flat. Good car too.

What has fueled it is how well vintage Ferraris have done (every media market reports on it), and the smart people are looking for what's next. And roadsters are very rare, less than 500 worldwide.

And what's not to like? Hand built, modern power, vintage feel, well received by the public, and the top comes off!!!

There is no way people paying these astronomical sums are concerned with the rawness, the way they drive, or even look for that matter. Remember people who pay these prices are expecting them to rise even higher. Do you really think they're going to drive them? It's pure speculation, has nothing to do with using the car.

So as long as people keep saying 6.0, 99SV 98-99 roadsters, that's where the speculative money is going.

There is no way people paying these astronomical sums are concerned with the rawness, the way they drive, or even look for that matter. Remember people who pay these prices are expecting them to rise even higher. Do you really think they're going to drive them? It's pure speculation, has nothing to do with using the car.

So as long as people keep saying 6.0, 99SV 98-99 roadsters, that's where the speculative money is going.

Don't know about everyone but the guys I've assisted are buying them for the right reasons. Its more a matter that they buy the cars now before they escalate past what normal guys can pull together.

One guy said very wisely that the market for a $100k car is quite different than that for a $200k one.....

I'm a regular guy, work a 9-5 for an employer, etc. I find most years I can put away $15k in a car fund that doesn't interfere with family obligations. So I 'm willing to save for 6-7 years for a $100k car......and cannot even consider in my wildest dreams a $300k car.

I still do not get why people are so puzzled about this. We saw it with the Countach. I don't see what the stock market has to do with this either. There were threads before where we discussed how exotic car market was not very effected by the depression. The increases seem to be effecting everything exotic in that year span. Porsches, Ferrari, hell even BMW M3s. And really, how many of a certain type of Diablo are even on the market? Less than a handful it seems. And they are all fairly unique so what you might be able to buy one for means nothing in regards to what you can buy another one for. Also, selling prices from one to another are meaningless. Some owner may not care about the money and/or want to get out of it quickly. Same to be said for the incredibly high priced cars...which I think there is nothing wrong with. But yeah, prices are definitely up and I don't see why they would get cheaper.

I have seen that diablo prices have now gone up, that is asking prices, my Question is are they selling.

IMO, The market may not quite be what everyone is speculating.

Lots of high dollar cars being listed. A few high dollar cars seem to have sold to collectors but the "good deals" don't seem to be selling at all. Several have been listed between 90k-150k and haven't sold. If they did sell, they certainly didn't sell as quickly as one would think considering the speculated "current market value".

Here in Australia, where there are more Lambos per head of population than anywhere else, Diablos sell instantly.

Last month, a '99 SV sold within half a day of the dealer listing it for AU$329k.

Another '99 SV, rougher than the other one, got listed last week for AU$350k and it got a deposit within the first day.

On Thursday, a dealer was BEGGING me to sell them my Diablos and promising me they would give me "really, really good money" for them.

And it was only a matter of months in the past when the AU$ was stronger than the US$.

And least I forget, my insurance company just agreed to bump both my Diablos to AU$500k each agreed value, when two years ago I had a sh*t fight with them to just get AU$250k agreed value.

I may just have to list mine on ebay for

eb2287c14ce8114369c83a3d2690cae5.jpg

Do it for sh*ts and giggles and just keep the ad there until the market catches up to the price in a couple of years (probably? / maybe?)

I put a serious bid in of $325k on the Orange 6.0 with just over 1000 miles and within 24 hours, was outbid!

I suspect this is a serious market and things really have gotten to another level.

I agree, list that SV for $1m and see where the road leads, should be an interesting spring and summer for the Diablo market.

I agree, list that SV for $1m and see where the road leads, should be an interesting spring and summer for the Diablo market.

:iamwithstupid:

That's it.......

I am listing my Ford Pinto for a Gazzillion dollars

They are very rare junk now

Well, that didn't take long, listed for half a million dollars and sold in 1 day!

Looks like that Pinto may be worth more than you think?

Crazy! I might have to eventually jump on the band wagon.

• 2 weeks later...

Right now, there are seven 6.0's on eBay including one salvage title 6.0 that looks like a serious basket case. The salvage title 6.0 has a starting bid of $150K (but no bids) and the others range from $279K to $386K. It seems to me, this crazy pricing started when two 6.0's showed-up on eBay for over $300K (one that has been for sale for about five years) and five other sellers decided to list their cars just because it looked as if prices had gone way up. As someone who's watched this market for a while, I'd agree prices have increased over the past year but I doubt that they've almost doubled, in spite of asking prices almost doubling. Buyers need to be careful. I recall in the late '80's when the same thing happened to 512BB prices. There were a few high sales before buyers realized the market was artificially high and prices dropped in half. It's taken 25 years for them to come back.

Right now, there are seven 6.0's on eBay including one salvage title 6.0 that looks like a serious basket case. The salvage title 6.0 has a starting bid of $150K (but no bids) and the others range from $279K to $386K. It seems to me, this crazy pricing started when two 6.0's showed-up on eBay for over $300K (one that has been for sale for about five years) and five other sellers decided to list their cars just because it looked as if prices had gone way up. As someone who's watched this market for a while, I'd agree prices have increased over the past year but I doubt that they've almost doubled, in spite of asking prices almost doubling. Buyers need to be careful. I recall in the late '80's when the same thing happened to 512BB prices. There were a few high sales before buyers realized the market was artificially high and prices dropped in half. It's taken 25 years for them to come back.

I agree there is some logic to your statement..HOWEVER I have sold TWO of these cars in the last 2 weeks for over $300K.

I have one for sale currently at $289K and have 2 more inbound, a 99 Diablo Roadster as well as another 6.0.

I think the days of a $150K car are long gone...I also think the prices I see of $350K plus are a bit over the high point right now as well...I think a fair price for such a rare car is in the 250-275K range...but you need to be careful your buying a car that is FULLY documented and KNOW what your getting as well as WHO your buying from...

Also keep in mind, your speaking of a still today "Supercar" by any standards and a car of such low production WORLDWIDE of less then 250 copies...which is way less then the Countach, Muira or some Ferrari's AND it is a more pleasurable car to drive and enjoy.

Roy Cats

I agree there is some logic to your statement..HOWEVER I have sold TWO of these cars in the last 2 weeks for over $300K.

I have one for sale currently at $289K and have 2 more inbound, a 99 Diablo Roadster as well as another 6.0.

I think the days of a $150K car are long gone...I also think the prices I see of $350K plus are a bit over the high point right now as well...I think a fair price for such a rare car is in the 250-275K range...but you need to be careful your buying a car that is FULLY documented and KNOW what your getting as well as WHO your buying from...

Also keep in mind, your speaking of a still today "Supercar" by any standards and a car of such low production WORLDWIDE of less then 250 copies...which is way less then the Countach, Muira or some Ferrari's AND it is a more pleasurable car to drive and enjoy.

Roy Cats

Well said :icon_thumleft:

Roy Cats

What Roy said !!!

This is why I am sending my 6.0 to Roy this week. He is fast becoming the authority and main reference source on this market.