Makes me sick - civil asset forfeiture

jpohl402

Entertaining explanation

john oliver has been on a roll lately, he makes a lot of good points. Yes sometimes he goes on too much of a tangent but he still brings up good arguments and brings it to the common public.

This is just further proof of the fact that the loser mentality is now running and governing our country. No matter what you do, you never did it youself. You never earned it. The zeros have banded together, and made it the status quo.

4th Amendment:

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

So how does this nonsense about the property being "guilty" come up? That sounds like saying that the bullet was guilty of shooting someone, not the person. Jodie Arias didn't stab her boyfriend, the knife did.

I knew about this before this hit the media. I was buying a boat in the U.S., seller didn't want a cashiers check and also wouldn't do a wire, he wanted cash. In the U.S. you must report to customs any amounts over $10,000, either coming or leaving. I was over the limit coming, so I declared the cash. Agents searched my car, with the threat they'd seize the money if they found another penny in the car. The attitude over the cash was like being treated like a criminal. One nicer agent pointed out its stupid to carry even a few hundred in cash in the U.S. I asked why and he explained what the cops can do and have done. This was in the 90's.

Now since living in the states, I have U.S bank accounts and carry no more then $100 cash. In Canada, I never carry more then $20. Someone wants cash only, we go to the bank and I give it too them there. I'll never carry large amounts again, especially over the border!

and people wonder why i'm leaving america......sure there are stupid problems everywhere, i'm just tired of american problems

Police in quite a few other Westernized countries can get away with a lot more than American law enforcement.

Police in quite a few other Westernized countries can get away with a lot more than American law enforcement.

Like?

I HATE having opinions without first hand experiences but in this case I think I've seen enough so I can voice my opinion, LP Cop threads, recent and past riots on US soil triggered rightly or wrongly by Police misconduct/violence/brutality, watching YouTube videos on US cops and US Cop shows on TV and based on the fact that I lived in few different countries in various parts of the world, visited most Asian and European countries I think your statement is highly incorrect.

true, you should see the shit in Zimbabwe police get away with, yikess

i'm just burned out on america, need new grass under my feet.

Having a cousin in law enforcement and hearing their stories, I can say they are like the U.S police. Only foreign police I have experienced are the Cuban secret police. Think America is fucked try Cuba.

He said westernized countries, there are many lawless hellholes on this planet where I am sure cops and everyone else gets away with murder on daily basis.

Very broad statement. I have never seen similar powertripping anywhere else, even heard or read about it.

Like?

I HATE having opinions without first hand experiences but in this case I think I've seen enough so I can voice my opinion, LP Cop threads, recent and past riots on US soil triggered rightly or wrongly by Police misconduct/violence/brutality, watching YouTube videos on US cops and US Cop shows on TV and based on the fact that I lived in few different countries in various parts of the world, visited most Asian and European countries I think your statement is highly incorrect.

In the United Kingdom, you do not have a right to not talk to police. In Italy, the police do not have the limitations in interrogating you that they have here in the U.S. I am not claiming that police in other Westernized countries abuse their power like police in the U.S. have been known to. I have no idea on that. Just that you do not have the legal protections against law enforcement in certain other countries like you have in the U.S.

The real problem with the U.S. is too many laws. You get county ordinances, state and federal law. If the cops want to mess with you they have thousands of ways to do it. Give the police an inch and they take a mile.

The real problem with the U.S. is too many laws. You get county ordinances, state and federal law. If the cops want to mess with you they have thousands of ways to do it. Give the police an inch and they take a mile.

Good explanation of the above in this video (@5:25)

Good explanation of the above in this video (@5:25)

I have a friend who is a criminal defense attorney. He's says give name, drivers license, registration and proof of insurance only, when stopped by police. Say anything else and the cops can and will twist to their advantage. Cops are basically trained to lie!

He gave the example of the many ways they can mess with you. Cops are supposed to need probable cause to pull someone over. Now they just say they believed the driver wasn't wearing a seat belt, click it or ticket. Now they can pull anyone over for seat belt checks. If the cop knows the motor vehicle code, he can probably find a dozen violations and can even figure out away to search the car.

I have a friend who is a criminal defense attorney. He's says give name, drivers license, registration and proof of insurance only, when stopped by police. Say anything else and the cops can and will twist to their advantage. Cops are basically trained to lie!

He gave the example of the many ways they can mess with you. Cops are supposed to need probable cause to pull someone over. Now they just say they believed the driver wasn't wearing a seat belt, click it or ticket. Now they can pull anyone over for seat belt checks. If the cop knows the motor vehicle code, he can probably find a dozen violations and can even figure out away to search the car.

Part 2 of the video I posted above is commentary given by a former officer - it's eye opening for sure.

Regarding pulling you over for any reason - how about this gem in Ontario, Canada (I'm not sure how much success the program had).

Likening speed shops that make street racers to bomb factories or illegal drug labs, Attorney General Michael Bryant warns "juiced-up" cars could be seized and destroyed before even hitting the road.

"Just on the balance of probabilities if we can establish that a car is being used for the unlawful purpose of street racing, we will seize it and you will never see it again.

"We will crush your car, we will crush the parts."

"What I would say to anybody who is engaging in the illegal act of street racing is we don't need to wait until that car hits the road fully loaded."

http://www.thestar.com/news/2007/06/21/pro...acers_told.html