StarWars; Spoilers there maybe

RobberBaron

Wheels, your words above have just become your best and most coherent post ever on this forum. Huge congrats!!! :icon_mrgreen:

We should add this quote to the new banner

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm...okay, lemme try a third time:

J.J. Abrams implied he didn't consider the prequels as canon. Some interpret this as being a snipe at George Lucas.

Hmm...okay, lemme try a third time:

J.J. Abrams implied he didn't consider the prequels as canon. Some interpret this as being a snipe at George Lucas.

The beauty of this whole canon or non-canon situation, since the prequels come before the originals, timeline-wise at least, they don't need to be considered, since EPVII moves forward from the events of the originals. It's easy enough for any competent director to gloss over the events that happened in the prequels, since nothing that happened in them was necessary to help shape the events in the originals.

As far as Disney and Lucasfilm is concerned, the prequels are canon. It is the diehard fans that don't want to consider them as canon.

Abrams didn't take a shot at Lucas, as he has no reason to.

The Force Awakens may have a trio of 'legacy' players at its centre in the form of Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill, but did you know JJ Abrams employed the talents of three additional Star Wars veterans for Episode VII?

The director has revealed to Entertainment Weekly that he recruited Ewan McGregor and Frank Oz to reprise their iconic Star Wars characters for voice cameos in the new film, which debuted last week and has broken box office records over the weekend. http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-12-20/...e-force-awakens

^A bit OT but cappy you just helped solved something that I had been wondering for a while.

I'll admit that although I saw all 6 movies, own the DVDs and even the limited-edition laser discs of the original trilogy, I never was too much a follower of Star Wars. I knew who played whom on the original series and that was it. When Yoda first appeared, I always thought that his voice sounded extremely familiar --- to Grover of Sesame Street (it's the audiophile in me I guess). Of course, I never bothered to look at the end credits but thanks to Cappy's post, it all makes sense now. Frank Oz was the voice of Yoda, the same guy that did Grover (and Bert & Cookie Monster and a list of other characters).

When Yoda first appeared, I always thought that his voice sounded extremely familiar --- to Grover of Sesame Street (it's the audiophile in me I guess). Of course, I never bothered to look at the end credits but thanks to Cappy's post, it all makes sense now. Frank Oz was the voice of Yoda, the same guy that did Grover (and Bert & Cookie Monster and a list of other characters).

ME TOO!! I had always thought the same thing as a kid when I saw Star Wars, that Yoda sounded the same as Grover.

Abrams didn't take a shot at Lucas, as he has no reason to.

Did some more Googling on this. Many wondered why make the statement? J.J. has since further explained this though, saying that if you were the age he was when the originals came out, then you find the originals as your favorite, whereas if you were that age when the prequels came out, you tend to find the prequels as your favorite. Since the originals were his favorite, he wanted to make The Force Awakens more like that. Also, he said Disney had pre-decided that they wanted to take the franchise in a new direction from what the prequels had been.

WARNING SPOILERS IN THIS POST!!!!! Do not read if you haven't seen the movie

I just watched it for the second time. A couple of thoughts. Obviously everyone wonders if Rey is Luke's daughter. What if the supreme leader is what survived of Palpatine? Also did anyone catch that Kylo Ren's name is Ben? At first I thought Fin was dead but this time I saw when they unloaded him from the falcon they said he had a heartbeat so he'll be back.

Wow that was.... terrible!

It wasn't the worse thing I've watched but not very far from it, as I suspected in order to enjoy it I needed some sort of point of reference but couldn't be bothered sitting through hours of old movies, at least I've tried LOL.

It must be very enjoyable for the cult followers because I've heard some of them calling it a masterpiece when we left the cinema :lol2:

It wasn't the worse thing I've watched but not very far from it, as I suspected in order to enjoy it I needed some sort of point of reference but couldn't be bothered sitting through hours of old movies, at least I've tried LOL.

It must be very enjoyable for the cult followers because I've heard some of them calling it a masterpiece when we left the cinema :lol2:

I know 100% that this movie wasn't made for new people not familiar with the series. It had so many references and allusions to the old movies that it would make no sense to a noob.

That's not unlike judging Lamborghini's from a "normal" car persepctive and giving them a lousy score: they get crap gas mileage, cramp as a sardine can, no outward vision, and getting in & out of it is a major PITA etc... All true to a certain extent but you have to be in the know to "get it". As afore-said, I am not much of a follower of SW myself but the series likely evoke some good old younger days when going to a theatre watching a sci-fi show on a gigantic screen with sound effects to match actually meant something. Typical good vs. evil story line but since it's suppose to happen "a long time ago in a galaxy far far away", the sky is the limit (pardon the pun) as far as characters and props creativity are concerned; there were no boundaries as physics literally needs not apply here. The allure is definitely there for the fans and cult followers. But for those who is not familiar with the SW universe, the movie will make as much sense as those Japanese Ultraman/Kamen Rider/Power Ranger movies :icon_mrgreen: (Fortis knows what I am referring to).

Fortis, see if you can find time to watch the original trilogy (episode 4, 5 & 6). Those would make T.F.A. more coherent and enjoyable.

So... I have some ideas but dont want to spoil anything....

I think rey is bens sister. She was thought to be killed when the Knights of Ren attacked Lukes training facility (with Boba Fett's help- yeah, I think he's in the flashback) and kidnapped ben. Luke did what he knew- hide her on a dessert shithole planet where nobody would look for her, have a Ben Kenobi type guy keep an eye on her from a far (Max Von Sydow) and he goes into exile like yoda, waiting for her to get old enough to protect herself, and complete her training. Which is why the two keys to the map are a (shutdown R2 who is programmed to turn on when she shows up) and Max Von Sydow.

Im not sure if Han or leia even know shes alive... But I think han suspected she was his daughter when shes on the falcon. Which is why the rogue who never wants a partner, suddenly offers her a job...

So... I have some ideas but dont want to spoil anything....

I think rey is bens sister. She was thought to be killed when the Knights of Ren attacked Lukes training facility (with Boba Fett's help- yeah, I think he's in the flashback) and kidnapped ben. Luke did what he knew- hide her on a dessert shithole planet where nobody would look for her, have a Ben Kenobi type guy keep an eye on her from a far (Max Von Sydow) and he goes into exile like yoda, waiting for her to get old enough to protect herself, and complete her training. Which is why the two keys to the map are a (shutdown R2 who is programmed to turn on when she shows up) and Max Von Sydow.

Im not sure if Han or leia even know shes alive... But I think han suspected she was his daughter when shes on the falcon. Which is why the rogue who never wants a partner, suddenly offers her a job...

I think you're right because I guess elsewhere in the SW universe it was revealed that Han had three kids. Twins and a third boy named Anakin.

One other tidbit.

Supreme Leader is rumored to be Darth Plaguies. He was Palpatine's master. Watch the video and it will explain who he is. Once you watch the video, it is to believe that Palpatine didn't actually kill him in his sleep. Google images of Darth PLaguies and you will see a resemblance of the character from TFA. One last thing. The theme from the scene below, is the same from the scene when Kylo Ren is speaking with Supreme Leader

That's not unlike judging Lamborghini's from a "normal" car persepctive and giving them a lousy score: they get crap gas mileage, cramp as a sardine can, no outward vision, and getting in & out of it is a major PITA etc... All true to a certain extent but you have to be in the know to "get it". As afore-said, I am not much of a follower of SW myself but the series likely evoke some good old younger days when going to a theatre watching a sci-fi show on a gigantic screen with sound effects to match actually meant something. Typical good vs. evil story line but since it's suppose to happen "a long time ago in a galaxy far far away", the sky is the limit (pardon the pun) as far as characters and props creativity are concerned; there were no boundaries as physics literally needs not apply here. The allure is definitely there for the fans and cult followers. But for those who is not familiar with the SW universe, the movie will make as much sense as those Japanese Ultraman/Kamen Rider/Power Ranger movies :icon_mrgreen: (Fortis knows what I am referring to).

Fortis, see if you can find time to watch the original trilogy (episode 4, 5 & 6). Those would make T.F.A. more coherent and enjoyable.

Please forgive me but I must aregue this :icon_mrgreen: I disagree on the parallels drawn here, you are discussing aesthetics and preconceptions without necessarily taking in the whole experience or at least prior having the ability of taking it all in.

I've never had a noob, first timer in a Lambo as a passenger or as a driver who wasn't completely floored by the experience, I agree some said why would you have one? quoting the reasons you've stated above but all enjoyed the craziness of it all and ultimately enjoyed the essence of what these cars are about and set to deliver to the audience.

To me a movie has to entertain me, evoke a series of emotions, I understand I shouldn't have gone to see it without having experienced the whole of the series but for me that's where the failure of this movie is, its inability of attracting and captivating a new audience by bringing us all up to speed and making everyone become a fan, possibly this wasn't their intent but rather a homage to their followers.

IMO it felt disjointed, like a series of small clips which they later morphed into a big one , I thought they felt compelled to tell everyone how every original character was doing by popping them on the screen in a fairly organised almost mechanical sequence, the rest of the story felt like a filler, not being intimately familiar with the characters and their past "history" throughout the series made it impossible for me to immerse myself in the story.

Anyway I have nobody else but myself to blame :lol2:

Lots of references to the original 3. If you were not familiar with them, you would not get it and would not understand a lot of stuff.

I thought it was great. Glad to see Star Wars is Star Wars again. You have not seen terrible till you have seen those Lucas shitpiles he called Prequels. May 2 hours of Pod Racers and Jar Jar Binks rot and never been seen or heard from again.

To me a movie has to entertain me, evoke a series of emotions, I understand I shouldn't have gone to see it without having experienced the whole of the series but for me that's where the failure of this movie is, its inability of attracting and captivating a new audience by bringing us all up to speed and making everyone become a fan, possibly this wasn't their intent but rather a homage to their followers.

IMO it felt disjointed, like a series of small clips which they later morphed into a big one , I thought they felt compelled to tell everyone how every original character was doing by popping them on the screen in a fairly organised almost mechanical sequence, the rest of the story felt like a filler, not being intimately familiar with the characters and their past "history" throughout the series made it impossible for me to immerse myself in the story.

Anyway I have nobody else but myself to blame :lol2:

Well two things, IMO:

1) I think they assumed that most people going to see this film have already seen the originals

2) It would be really difficult to bring people up to speed I think because there's just too much "stuff" with regards to the originals. You really need to watch them, then you will find the new film far clearer.

Please forgive me but I must aregue this :icon_mrgreen: I disagree on the parallels drawn here, you are discussing aesthetics and preconceptions without necessarily taking in the whole experience or at least prior having the ability of taking it all in.

I've never had a noob, first timer in a Lambo as a passenger or as a driver who wasn't completely floored by the experience, I agree some said why would you have one? quoting the reasons you've stated above but all enjoyed the craziness of it all and ultimately enjoyed the essence of what these cars are about and set to deliver to the audience.

All fair & valid points IF the driver/passenger was a car person and, perhaps, at a relatively young age. Do that to a middle-age person who sees cars as mere transport and you will see my point. To be fair, this a car forum, a Lambo one to boot so talking about those who has no interest in cars is a moot point. :P Nothing needs to be forgiven at all. I understand where you are coming from. :)

As you would concur, it's more or less a cult following. By simply diving into this film without much or any background knowledge would guarantee a fairly rough landing. Although I simply cannot picture you bringing yourself up to speed with the saga by going through 6+ hrs of the original trilogy. :icon_mrgreen: