Mileage vs Resale Value

Lfsglass

My '98 Diablo SV Monterey Edition currently has 44k miles & recently received over $20k worth of services including clutch, gasket replacement, fluids, filters, etc.

I've recently contacted several dealers about possible trades and so far I've only received lowball trade values.

Often Garage Queens are considered to be less reliable and it has been suggested that the non-use often increases the likelihood of future problems.

Although 44k miles may be higher than the norm, would it be enough to deter potential/future buyers if service history is available? Often when Classic cars or Muscle cars are restored, buyers couldn't care less about the original mileage. Does the "higher mileage" adversely affect the value of a Diablo significantly?

4c8bfaf6d12a8e99fb18536d9ec162f6.jpg

I see your problem in the fact you are looking for "trade" offers. Sell privately or on consignment with a reputable dealer . IF I were you I would contract with Nick Jones at Lambo newport beach or with Roy Cats of Cats exotics.

Get a pro like Brian Albertson to sell it for you. Exoticcarsearch.com

No hassle easy to deal with and very friendly.

Sell it on your own... Ofcourse a dealer will try and lowball you..

It's best not to get these trade offers in person in order to resist the temptation of kicking the fcuking dealer in the nuts.

Just to clarify does your ODO say roughly 70,800

I was under the assumption that all diablo cars came with KM odometers and not Miles ? that is why so many were thought of being tampered with when they did milage checking on them. Some would report it accurately and do the conversion, others assumed that the ODO was in miles making it a higher milage car then it really was. I thought after the 1999 or 2000 model this was altered for the US market.

If that is the case then you have 27500miles roughly on your car.

It's best not to get these trade offers in person in order to resist the temptation of kicking the fcuking dealer in the nuts.

Lol, al offers have via email.

I only considered a possible dealer trade to take advantage of the tax savings. Maybe private party sale is the better way to go.

Just to clarify does your ODO say roughly 70,800

I was under the assumption that all diablo cars came with KM odometers and not Miles ? that is why so many were thought of being tampered with when they did milage checking on them. Some would report it accurately and do the conversion, others assumed that the ODO was in miles making it a higher milage car then it really was. I thought after the 1999 or 2000 model this was altered for the US market.

If that is the case then you have 27500miles roughly on your car.

My odometer is in KM and unfortunately the conversion has been accounted for. 70k KM/44k miles

yes for sure it will hurt resale ,with those miles it will be for someone whos looking for a driver and not a collector .at the end of the day when you sell the car you had fun with it with and u didnt save the miles for the next guy glws

Sadly a regularly driven car with proper service will be way healthier than a 1200 mike 20yo car. Diablos seem to be more for collectors now then enthusiasts. Name your price and hold firm. A car guy may come along and offer what your looking for. Most of these collectors buy and park them.. If you buy a low mileage car and want to drive it they usually need a ton of sorting out.

Sadly a regularly driven car with proper service will be way healthier than a 1200 mike 20yo car. Diablos seem to be more for collectors now then enthusiasts. Name your price and hold firm. A car guy may come along and offer what your looking for. Most of these collectors buy and park them.. If you buy a low mileage car and want to drive it they usually need a ton of sorting out.

well said but a collector that wants to park it and cringes when he drives it and sees the miles go up will pass on this one,someone that wants to really enjoy the car will be interested.ive had a vt and a sv in the past and will get another one and when i do will get one with miles and sorted out.

So would you think a limited production and fairly desirable model with 44k miles fetch more or less than a early model low mileage car?

It's all a gamble! I don't disagree that higher mileage affects price but it all depends on finding the right buyer. It's a rare color on a limited edition car. I think it's more a matter of how quick do you want to sell.

So would you think a limited production and fairly desirable model with 44k miles fetch more or less than a early model low mileage car?

now less..not much

I have been watching Diablos for many years as a dreamer. I see the prices have gone crazy over the last two years= or have they? I see people asking the big bucks but those cars don't seem to go anywhere.

That is a beautiful car- wish I had the pockets for it as I want to drive my car, wrench on my car. 44k miles... no worries to me.

The other thread suggests the value of a 15k mile salvage title 99 SV to be 150k (or more)....

I would think salvage title on any model would affect value considerably more than mileage. At 44k miles, although higher then typical in the Diablo world, it's not that unreasonable compared to later model lambos, other exotics, Porsche, Mclaren, etc.

I guess the pursuit of a dealer trade is where I went wrong.

The other thread suggests the value of a 15k mile salvage title 99 SV to be 150k (or more)....

I would think salvage title on any model would affect value considerably more than mileage. At 44k miles, although higher then typical in the Diablo world, it's not that unreasonable compared to later model lambos, other exotics, Porsche, Mclaren, etc.

150k. Id like to see that car on the market and see what it really gets.

Put that car on ebay if you want to sell it. Hold firm on the price... A reg silver 98 SV went 125k, or 150k on ebay with salvage history, reserve not met. And then dissapeared. More than likely offsite negotiations. Couple of SV's (albeit not with 45k miles) have sold in the $250-325K range..

Put that car on ebay if you want to sell it. Hold firm on the price... A reg silver 98 SV went 125k, or 150k on ebay with salvage history, reserve not met. And then dissapeared. More than likely offsite negotiations. Couple of SV's (albeit not with 45k miles) have sold in the $250-325K range..

Do you really think ebay is the way to go? I know it is the easiest way to advertise around the globe but I always thought of ebay as having a negative effect on private party exotic car sales. I may be mistaken.