The itch is back.. Help me decide - Murc/Aventador/458/570

Chasing Tail

Hey guys, after a bit of an exotic car break (owned a gallardo '06 and a ferrari 360 spider '03 in the past) the itch is returning full force as my 36th birthday is coming up - early midlife crisis?! :) I initially had my mind set on a murcielago (pre lp640) until I heard that the lp640 is such a vast improvement from the early murcis that it's a no brainer. Comfortable with the idea of an lp640 I started watching youtube videos, reading forum posts and checking out reviews.

That's when things started pointing towards the Aventador. People kept saying it's less maintenance, (more audi parts/engineering) faster, pretty much just a superior car in every way. Now I'm second guessing my pursuit of a good lp640 :/

I don't want another gallardo or the huracan. They just don't excite me anymore. Yes, I know the huracan is a much better car than the gallardo, the looks of the G and H just don't do it for me anymore.

Convertible is a must, and I don't mind lots of attention.

I'm having a hard time justifying the almost 200% price difference between an lp640 roadster and an aventador roadster.

Is it worth getting into an lp640 and enjoy it for a few years and then upgrade to the aventador, or are the cars so similar that the novelty would wear off during the lp640 years and make the transition less exciting?

Thanks for all your thoughts.

I've had some seat time in an Aventador and Aventador Roadster and the A is simply amazing. The roof is also 1000% better. I think the transition will be quite exciting for you but I also happen to think the A is worth 200% more.

I've had some seat time in an Aventador and Aventador Roadster and the A is simply amazing. The roof is also 1000% better. I think the transition will be quite exciting for you but I also happen to think the A is worth 200% more.

:iamwithstupid: With the Aventador you have a large leap forward in reliability, feel, power and looks. The Aventador is a completely different animal than the murci, and in my opion is the most exciting car under $1 million you can get right now.

Dang it.. You guys are not making this easier for me! :) Having seen friends go through life changing tragedies in the last few years I have decided to live in the moment and am throwing a bit of my previously conservative mindset out the window. I think, however, my mental limit is $350K for a car right now, and I don't think that'll get me into a good lp700 roadster quite yet - so an lp640 still seems like a pretty good idea... Right??

By the way, the mclaren 570 and ferrari 458, as wonderful as they are to drive, simply don't do much for me either.

I think the Aventador is the best looking car on the road today, period. The lp640 is not THAT far behind, though, or maybe I'm just fooling myself.

Huracan Spyder, not sure how much they are where you live but it has to be less than an Aventador Roadster.

Also go drive all the cars you are interested in, I am sure once you do that you won't need our help to make a decision.

Drive everything possible, it answers every last question as far as desirability.

BTW, don't mix 36 and mid life crisis in the same sentence ever again. :icon_mrgreen:

Buy what makes you happy. I love the Murci. As you said, I loved the Gallardo, was a great car... but now the G and Huracan don't do it for me. The Aventador is an awesome car, but I personally prefer the rawness of the Murcielago. At 350K if your not hell bent on a convertible, I would get an LP670... you would probably even make money on it to finance your next Aventador purchase :)

Although....

If falling in love with the looks of your car ranks pretty high for you, don't forget how the M (just like every Lambo) looks different in the flesh. The roadsters have that low, flat sharp look suitcased. Everything looks taller surfing the web.

If being a convertible ranks pretty high, would you give any consideration to an '05-'07 roadster and then pick up the Aventador in a few years? Still, you have the same less-than-ideal Murci roof issue, but their prices are getting pretty darn low these days. I just saw one on eBay with a '640 body kit too, haha.

It really depends on what you want. The Aventador is a phenomenal modern Supercar and the lp640 is a previous gen one. The 640 feels old when you drive a vent. Drive both and it will be very easy for you to decide.

Thanks guys, it's weird how we are all different when it comes to choosing the perfect car. My mechanic said the best entry level exotic out there now is the 570. It's just built extremely well and handles amazing. Those were his words. I haven't driven it.

When I had the 360 spider and gallardo coupe I found myself driving the Ferrari way more. It became my daily driver (and I have an sl55 too - which now that my gallardo and 360 are gone is my one and only). The 360 was a lot easier to get up and go in compared to the gallardo, wasn't quite as fast and brutal but felt very raw and responsive. Nimble. Like an oversized go-kart. Had the tubi exhaust which didn't sound anywhere near as good as the gallardo (which had capristo). The gallardo got WAY more attention and just felt more exciting, but it always got me in trouble.. Girls loved it too. Anyway I digress. I think part of the reason I drove the Ferrari more was the fact that it was a convertible. Since I'm in California the weather is almost always great, and the sense of freedom in a convertible down the pacific highway, and up the mountain roads is just something very recreational to me.

I like that the lp640 roadster can never be a daily driver. It's just gonna be a big event every time I take it out. With a gallardo or huracan it could become a daily driver and lose its excitement.

I don't know about the 670, they are really hard to come by and probably would do better as garage queens since it is a collector's car.

One thing I was wondering, with the gallardo I know a lot of it was Audi, but I've heard people say the murcielagos are mostly lambo engineered, meaning they are probably much less reliable. My gallardo never had any issues in the 4 years I owned it. I loved that about it.

Murci is hand built, where Gallardo is assembly line. G uses way more audi components. Murci switchgear is still all Lambo. Murci has some audi sensors but mostly Italian. I find since Murci's are hand built they need time to settle in. Hence a properly used and maintained one will be better. Just my $0.02

Buy what makes you happy. I love the Murci. As you said, I loved the Gallardo, was a great car... but now the G and Huracan don't do it for me. The Aventador is an awesome car, but I personally prefer the rawness of the Murcielago. At 350K if your not hell bent on a convertible, I would get an LP670... you would probably even make money on it to finance your next Aventador purchase :)

:iamwithstupid: :iamwithstupid:

Murci is hand built, where Gallardo is assembly line. G uses way more audi components. Murci switchgear is still all Lambo. Murci has some audi sensors but mostly Italian. I find since Murci's are hand built they need time to settle in. Hence a properly used and maintained one will be better. Just my $0.02

Thanks, that's helpful information and advice. I suppose that applies to the lp640 as well, not just the early murcies?

As far as buying what makes me happy, yes absolutely! I remember when I bought the gallardo I was actually at the dealer looking at an f430 coupe. I drove it and as we came back around the block I noticed the gallardo sitting pretty in the lot. I asked them if we could take it for a spin, and 10 minutes later I made an offer. I drove the car home the next day :)

Dang it.. You guys are not making this easier for me! :) Having seen friends go through life changing tragedies in the last few years I have decided to live in the moment and am throwing a bit of my previously conservative mindset out the window. I think, however, my mental limit is $350K for a car right now, and I don't think that'll get me into a good lp700 roadster quite yet - so an lp640 still seems like a pretty good idea... Right??

OK ... This one really is a no brainer ... Considering, you said:

"I have decided to live in the moment and am throwing a bit of my previously conservative mindset out the window. "

Add to that ... Your screen name is ... Chasing Tail ... You live in California ... Which means:

It's a pretty safe bet that ... GIRLS ... Are a significant part of this equation ... Am I right???

Therefore, when you roll up, you gotta (yeah, that's a word), have the cool Lambo doors ... And it must be a Roadster ...

Which means you've now narrowed your choices ... Aventador or Murci ... Next Step ...

Go out and try putting the top on the Murci Roadster in pouring rain or beaming sunshine, and you'll have your answer ...

Aventador roadster is the only choice ... You'll be able to pick up a 2013 by 2nd quarter 2016 for $350K ...

You're Welcome ... Now go ... Chase Some Tail ...

Lol! Spot on.. 👍👌👏👏 I'd say it's about 50/50 passion for the Italian exotic and the fairer sex exotics.. I mean, let's be real right? Not gonna deny I don't mind showing off either, but not in a douchy way of course..

I think however I can live with the problematic roof. Doesn't seem worth the price difference!?

Part of me really wants an Aventador but to be honest I'm completely content with my 640 roadster and can't justify spending that much more for a different car right now - I don't drive this one enough as it is. Both cars are absolutely stunning so it really just depends on what you like best. Good luck either way!

TED_7863_X3.jpg

You need to decide what works for you. I love what the Aventdor is.. but prefer the simplicity of the Murci... the roof on the Murci is not THAT terrible... it gets exaggerated. Also the feeling of driving the Bull topless, engine noise in your ear, wind in your hair... pretty epic. Anyway the Aventdor is more in every way, but depends on what kind of $$ you are willing to spend. Haha either way I thin you'll be ok... as for chicks.. I find these cars attract more dudes then anything....

Lol! Spot on.. I'd say it's about 50/50 passion for the Italian exotic and the fairer sex exotics.. I mean, let's be real right? Not gonna deny I don't mind showing off either, but not in a douchy way of course..

I think however I can live with the problematic roof. Doesn't seem worth the price difference!?

You can't drive an Lamborghini roadster without being a little douchy and picking up the kind of golddigger tail that comes with it.

Though it's well known that Italian exotics are great for meeting teenage boys and middle aged men.

So this all depends on how mature your car-collecting taste is. I mean this in no demeaning way. I find that my taste has changed throughout the years as well. I thought long and hard about my first bull and ended up with an LP640 roadster. I also love in SoCal so the roof will always be off. So here are my reasons for picking up the Murcie:

I wanted a car that was more visceral and not overrun with tech. This is analogous to why I will keep my 16M and never move to a 458, 488, 518, etc etc. The 458 and the Aventador are far superior technical performance cars than their predecessors. But the 430 and Murcie models are more visceral and raw. I want to drive the car and feel it, not let the car drive me.

You can also see this in design change elements. If you like angular, aggressive lines, then Aventador and 458

Do this best. But if you like smoother, flowing lines, then the 430 and Murcie carry this timeless element...think CGT or Enzo.

Production numbers are low with the Murcielago, much more so than what they will produce with the Av. This will obviously sustain better value as you will likely see Murcies appreciate while Aventadors continue to depreciate.

The Murcie is the last of the Bizzarrini engine design that started in 1963. This is a piece of history.

If you could swing it, I'd really go for an LP670 any day, as it is the true last of the Kings of Murcies. But I missed the boat on these, as they are approaching half mil.

Don't buy a new McLaren unless you are ready to take a bath. I saw the 570 at Motor4toys and it looks amazing! But the brand has some work to do in terms of resale of its vehicles.

Loving the feedback guys! It's a big decision, and chatting it out is a big part of the excitement and anticipation preceding the purchase for me.

Luxeous, your car is an absolute beaut (assuming that's yours in M blue?). I think it's human nature to never be completely satisfied and keep lusting for more, but I always make a point, every single day to just remind myself how incredibly lucky I am to be healthy, and well enough off to live a lifestyle like this. No matter what we acquire, there's people who have more, and are as unhappy as the next guy. Yes, cars may be hard to justify from an investment perspective, but we can't drive houses or stocks and when we grow old memories are much more precious than wealth. There's also something to be said about not always being at the cutting edge of technology. It's a costly race. Lp640 seems the most sensible way.

Plastique, thanks for the detailed reasoning behind your choice of cars. I am with you 100%. Driving involvement and sense of driving vs. being driven is huge for me as well. The 16M is incredible. So incredibly raw and finely tuned. It's a pure drivers breed, no question. I always loved ferraris, in truth their cars are closer to my sensibilities as a creative and passionate individual, but I think maybe that's why I enjoy the lambos so much too. There's some excitement in the allure of the unknown.. Like dating a psycho bitch lol!

The perceived aesthetics of the cars are so subjective there's hardly any point in discussing it I think. I always loved the way the 360 looked in profile and back. Was never crazy about the front, but they addressed that with the f430, unfortunately pininfarina took away some of the hotness of the profile again so it was back to square one. The 458 isn't a home run for me. It's an incredible piece of machinery no doubt, but it's a little too soft looking for my taste.

I have to say, I think people's taste are influenced heavily and subconsciously by their budget, though. There seems to be this mental justification for the beauty of whatever is within ones price range. We tend to convince ourselves that what we can afford is the most attractive option. I'm trying to be honest with myself. I think the aventador looks better than the lp640, but not so much that it justifies the price difference. Now that you're telling me the ride is less raw that makes it an even easier decision. I need a car where I feel in charge of it rather than the other way around. I want control. I also have a feeling the murcielago has the potential to sound better with the right exhaust than the aventador, but this is assumption based on youtube videos and some limited real life experienced rather than actual factual knowledge.

What's the exhaust of choice for the lp640 nowadays? I see kreisseg mentioned a lot. I had capristo on my gallardo which was amazing. Fabspeed seems another popular choice, but the name has always put me off (maybe I shouldn't be so quick to judge, it just sounds like a joke to me). Lorini( sp?) seems popular too?