" Nest egg " sitting earning next to nothing, What would you do ?

Zmydust

The business section seems a bit dead so I'm posting here. After selling a couple of my cars I haven't been driving , I've got some cash sitting and doing nothing and it has me thinking more and more about what it COULD do. Its nothing anyone could retire on , low 6 , but substantial enough that I think it should be earning me something someway. Is it worth looking for a small apartment or townhouse complex ? Open a couple coffee shops? I am currently and have been for the last decade plus been running a fairly successful car dealership for someone else but owning one isn't something I am interested in.

I know the easy answer is put it with the rest of my investments but I can't seem to shake the idea of wanting something more hands on with residual REAL income.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RE is a way to go. What's your local market. Back in the day my dad had places in Brandon (Northwoods?), Pearl, and So. Jackson. Three did well but the one in So Jackson got routed because of white flight.

RE is a way to go. What's your local market. Back in the day my dad had places in Brandon (Northwoods?), Pearl, and So. Jackson. Three did well but the one in So Jackson got routed because of white flight.

Brandon and Pearl are still doing very well , most of Jackson would be Section 8 .

:iamwithstupid:

We've been looking and find that in our area, Real Estate (flips, reno's and/rentals) seem to be the best return on investment. If you are willing and are capable to do a lot of the work, the payoff can be pretty good.

What have RE prices done over the past 5 years in your area?

What is the purchase price vs monthly rental income ratio like? Are you looking for monthly gravy or appreciation profit?

What have RE prices done over the past 5 years in your area?

What is the purchase price vs monthly rental income ratio like? Are you looking for monthly gravy or appreciation profit?

Prices have remained fairly neutral . Most $150k homes are still $150k but the rental rates have went from $1000/mo to around $1350/mo

Cars and hookers.

I think you spelt Coke wrong but other than that you are right.

You two have never seen Mississippi hookers :eusa_naughty:

Prices have remained fairly neutral . Most $150k homes are still $150k but the rental rates have went from $1000/mo to around $1350/mo

You two have never seen Mississippi hookers :eusa_naughty:

Lololol. I have.

How bad are property taxes? And do they index every couple years?

$1350/mo on $150k property isn't bad if the taxes are reasonable and stable. It's not a homerun, but good steady income if you're looking for a long term hold. Get a couple rentals and you can start writing off all kinds of shit. If you make over $150k/yr on a W2 you can't take losses on rental properties, but it would be super easy to zero out any income and carry the "losses" forward if/when you sell the place to offset cap-gains.

How is the rental climate? By that I mean, the people who are renters?

What is current availability of rentals? Lots of inventory or are vacant units in high demand?

I keep some investment ready cash in a tax free bond fund, FTABX, pays about 3.5% tax free that is paid monthly....

I keep some investment ready cash in a tax free bond fund, FTABX, pays about 3.5% tax free that is paid monthly....

Very interested in this.

Please elaborate. Sounds interesting.

I've been using it for 6 years or so to park cash instead of a lousy money market, etc:

https://fundresearch.fidelity.com/mutual-fu...mmary/316128503

you have to keep it in for 90 days, then it's totally liquid..... tax free returns at around 3.5%, pays monthly, effective rate around 4.7% depending on your tax bracket...

With the market doing what it is now, and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future, Real estate and tax free bonds are the way to go.

has never happened, but anything can happen I guess, local, state and government bonds would have to fail all over the country? it goes up and down a few cents per day....

How large is the risk? Can your 100k be 40k over night?

Me too. Can't stand just parking money at the bank. Does nothing for you. I just put in an offer for an apartment complex w/ a good 10% cap return. Hopefully they'll accept my offer. RE is a solid investment.

Terrible ROI ratio in my opinion.

Flips offer great ROI depending on your current income and the potential increased tax bracket you'd be in.

Larger Multi unit properties generally offer a good ROI as well.

4-plex's generally don't offer a good cash flow unless you purchase at the right price but 4-plex's are often listed for top dollar.

IMO, look for single family houses requiring renovation with flip potential but rent them out rather than selling. You will get the best of both worlds, equity & cash flow....