My God Was This Funny

RobberBaron

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good video!

All of these kids keep wanting free college but I'm starting to think that college is more dangerous to this society than ISIS.

A good quote I read stated:

"Modern college campuses are a combination of Lord of the Flies and 1984 being played by people don't understand the references."

Everyone's dream was to go to some sort of university, I am happy (as selfish as it may sound) because I need a lot of them to work for me now :icon_mrgreen:

I always hated school considered it a waste of time, at 6 year old I could read and write at grade 4 level, my grandmother thought me at home, the first four years of school was a complete waste of time for me, I actually feel that it would've been better if I were left alone to progress with the rest of the children, I was always getting in trouble for not paying attention, mainly because I was bored out of my mind, I read The Adventures of Oliver Twist when my classmates just started to write their names on paper.

I found learning very easy, so the interest was never there, my mother forced me to finish high school and I'd never dared disobeying her but I wish I started to work earlier.

Let's just hope my kids don't get on LP and read this :lol2:

Everyone's dream was to go to some sort of university, I am happy (as selfish as it may sound) because I need a lot of them to work for me now :icon_mrgreen:

I always hated school considered it a waste of time, at 6 year old I could read and write at grade 4 level, my grandmother thought me at home, the first four years of school was a complete waste of time for me, I actually feel that it would've been better if I were left alone to progress with the rest of the children, I was always getting in trouble for not paying attention, mainly because I was bored out of my mind, I read The Adventures of Oliver Twist when my classmates just started to write their names on paper.

I found learning very easy, so the interest was never there, my mother forced me to finish high school and I'd never dared disobeying her but I wish I started to work earlier.

Education is very important though, IMO. However, schooling unto itself is not necessarily important. But people without education can end up extremely stupid with regards to important issues and subjects. For example, as you cite in the having children thread, so much of the world's population lacks education, which leads to all sorts of bad decisions on their part.

Education is very important though, IMO. However, schooling unto itself is not necessarily important. But people without education can end up extremely stupid with regards to important issues and subjects. For example, as you cite in the having children thread, so much of the world's population lacks education, which leads to all sorts of bad decisions on their part.

I never said education wasn't important but only to a certain level, a large percentage of students waste their time on useless degrees, ultimately everyone's goal is to get an education in order to pursue a career which leads to income wich leads to comfort and security in life, personally I decided to bypass a lot of the fluff and go straight for the income, if I lack certain knowledge I either ask Siri or pay for it, easy done.

You're an outlier though, my friend. I do not know too many people as successful as you without formal education. Your career arc has been the stuff of dreams, would be very tough for anyone to replicate, hard work and determination only get you so far, you have to be given classic intelligence and what I call a PhD in street smarts, you've got both.

Your kids might be able to follow in your footsteps given a lifetime mentorship from you, others might not be so lucky. The average Joe or Jolene's best bet would be formal secondary education to at least increase their chances of survival.

You're an outlier though, my friend. I do not know too many people as successful as you without formal education. Your career arc has been the stuff of dreams, would be very tough for anyone to replicate, hard work and determination only get you so far, you have to be given classic intelligence and what I call a PhD in street smarts, you've got both.

Your kids might be able to follow in your footsteps given a lifetime mentorship from you, others might not be so lucky. The average Joe or Jolene's best bet would be formal secondary education to at least increase their chances of survival.

:iamwithstupid:

The issue is defining specific career goals/objectives. Being wishy-washy is the pill of death for a career in my opinion...or any facet of life for that matter.

I switched careers myself and even after the which didn't have a clear idea of what I wanted to do...so I know how those my age (or younger and even older) feel/have gone through. Having said that I still got a degree in Finance which I knew certainly wouldn't be "useless" for finding a job (i.e. not like being a history major or something). Now that I've got a MUCH clearer idea and am taking specific steps to get to where I want to be....having said that I was lucky enough to have good parents AND went to a very good school.

This was always a favorite quote of mine, from Joe Lacob:

“Education is the answer to everything,” he says. “You look at the Middle East, for example. That’s the problem—education and opportunity.”

Yet, there’s no denying that some of tech’s greatest superstars, including Steve Jobs, Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg, never finished college. Then there’s PayPal co-founder Peter Thiel, whose foundation provides fellows $100,000 and mentorship if they skip or stop attending college for the two years of the program.

“I’m not in favor of that. That makes no sense to me,” Lacob says. “It’s true there are people in tech who make it without [a degree]. I’m not saying you can’t. If you’re going to be successful, you’re going to be successful. In general, people should get educated. There are a lot of better opportunities that result from it in the long run, and the odds are, you’re going to have a better life if you’re educated.”

When I was bored, I would go on Stanford's web site, Harvard, whichever university I wanted. I would look up the classes needed to get a degree in a subject, let's say Finance. Go to the online bookstore, get the books, and teach myself. I didn't get the degree, but the knowledge is there.

Degree or not, the most valuable thing we have in this world is information/education. It's sad to live life without having knowledge. It's almost like being blind.

But the most common trait of someone who is successful would have to be the street smarts. The ability to empathize with people, to apply the information you learn. Doesn't matter if you're book smart. There is a difference between being smart and intelligent imo.

Great thread, guys. I'd like to add a different side of it.

One overlooked beef I have with universities (in the US at least) is that the application process is very skewed and agenda based. If people want to talk about things "not being fair", this is the big one.

Colleges don't "grade out" high schools differently......to them, they are almost all the same. So a student with a 95 average at a subpar or mediocre school is seen as better than a low 80s average student from a great school, everything else being equal.

I know this because I was that low 80s kid once upon a time, and I went to one of the 3 specialized science high schools in NYC. If I went to my local school I could have easily killed it with less effort (and way less commute time), gotten into more schools, more scholarships, had more fun, etc.

In some ways I understand where they are coming from because you couldn't in theory just take an entire graduating class from a top school. But it just seems like they don't take everything into account.

Plus the liberalism of college admissions departments is nauseating.

In the end it's all good and I still probably wouldn't change my past if I could, but it's something I'll think about if I have kids.

One overlooked beef I have with universities (in the US at least) is that the application process is very skewed and agenda based. If people want to talk about things "not being fair", this is the big one.

Colleges don't "grade out" high schools differently......to them, they are almost all the same. So a student with a 95 average at a subpar or mediocre school is seen as better than a low 80s average student from a great school, everything else being equal.

I know this because I was that low 80s kid once upon a time, and I went to one of the 3 specialized science high schools in NYC. If I went to my local school I could have easily killed it with less effort (and way less commute time), gotten into more schools, more scholarships, had more fun, etc.

In some ways I understand where they are coming from because you couldn't in theory just take an entire graduating class from a top school. But it just seems like they don't take everything into account.

In the end it's all good and I still probably wouldn't change my past if I could, but it's something I'll think about if I have kids.

Definitely different in Canada...being from a good high school matters here.

What about standardized tests? Shouldn't you have rocked the sat?

Great thread.

I can say as a college student, I'm totally fine with the price of education. If you go about things smartly as I believe I have then there really aren't many barriers.

Out of high school I wasn't really sure what I wanted to do. I had applied to all my colleges under Mechanical Engineering but frankly was doubting whether or not I even wanted to do that. I considered two options: 1) go to Santa Clara and take out ~25k loans a year, or 2) Go to community college and reevaluate. I chose the latter, decided I wanted to pursue economics, and set myself up to transfer to a UC within 2 years. Community college cost about $2500 a year in total, luckily my father paid for that but I could've paid out of pocket. I transferred to one of the best UCs and thanks to grants and academic scholarship have been able to pay for my education with the money I earned working during the summer. I'm set to graduate on time with about 8k in student debt, might be 12k if I decide to do an extra year to double major. Not bad IMO. I have friends who are already 75k+ in debt and aren't close to graduating, it honestly sucks to watch.

Public universities don't need to be any cheaper, anyone that's on top of things could do what I did. At least in terms of going to in-state public schools.

Thank you for the kind words, you could be right but I don't see myself that way, I think what I do many can but certain factors hold them back, possessing the required level of education not being a crucial one. I think my major strengths aren't necessarily of intellectual kind, I possess other abilities which I admit come extremely natural to me and 99.99% of people I am involved with, very smart people in their respective domains, fail to see which really shocks me. To me it all makes sense and it's all logical because my self teaching is very raw, not clouded by what one was thought in some school by a professor.

This approach really helped me in my life combined with where and how I used to live, I believe without my previous life experiences I probably wouldn't be where I am.

As I said strictly from a selfishness POV I want to see people pursue further education, we need doctors, engineers, scientists, etc. but pursuing useless degrees such as arts, even business, etc. then ending up working low paid jobs while having a chip on your shoulder isn't something I see beneficial.

In relation to my children, I am sending them to the best private schools, I will admit that, mainly because I want to offer them the best things in life, they do well, do I push them, never, my wife is obsessed with education we often argue about it, she finished university and she's an English teach I am a bum who didn't want to finish high school but I was forced to of course we don't see eye to eye on the subject.

I will allow my kids to pursue their dreams only because I know they are financially secure but I will definitely tell them what and how they should be doing things if they decide to listen it's fine if they don't it's also fine, we all have to live with the consequences of our own actions, also they are girls, we will always look after them, my son's future on the other hand will be a lot tougher, he will have to do what his daddy does, I am dying to teach him :icon_mrgreen:

As I said strictly from a selfishness POV I want to see people pursue further education, we need doctors, engineers, scientists, etc. but pursuing useless degrees such as arts, even business, etc. then ending up working low paid jobs while having a chip on your shoulder isn't something.....

This ^^^. It's a shame that universities have become businesses rather than avenues for higher learning, because that has proliferated all of these pointless degrees that really don't contribute to society other than injecting money into the universities themselves.

I have 2 degrees, both quite specific, however are still no guarantee of a decent career, especially inthe current economic climate. I couldn't imagine what people do with qualifications on 16th century literature or art history etc in guessing working in retail or hospitality :/ with a $50-100k debt

What about standardized tests? Shouldn't you have rocked the sat?

I couldn't rock the SAT, just wasn't my thing I'll admit. It wouldn't shock me if I still couldn't crush it, LOL. I didn't rock the GMATs years later, either. I'm sure if I had to take the GREs I wouldn't kill it either.

At the same time, I passed the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam on my first try, right out of college. Math on this exam isn't so much SAT style logic questions but knowing how to do integration by parts, and a differential equation or two. This is stuff you either knew how to do or didn't.....SAT questions seemed more logic based, both math and reading comprehension.

It doesn't really add up on the surface but I'm sure there's an explanation for why we do well on certain tests and not others.

I never said education wasn't important but only to a certain level, a large percentage of students waste their time on useless degrees, ultimately everyone's goal is to get an education in order to pursue a career which leads to income wich leads to comfort and security in life, personally I decided to bypass a lot of the fluff and go straight for the income, if I lack certain knowledge I either ask Siri or pay for it, easy done.

Fortis, do you think book learning can help a beginner though in certain areas? For example, say you have great street smarts and learn really well as you go along. But there could be some really good ways you could improve your business or even avoid some blunders that you otherwise would make, from reading books. For example, if you are in manufacturing, if you read books on quality control, you might learn some things to improve your manufacturing operations that you otherwise didn't know and avoid some costly mistakes that you didn't realize.

IMO, I think there are four basic forms of education one ought to have:

1) Classical education/liberal arts education (the classical concept of a liberals arts education, not the politically correct modern versions)

Basically this consists of learning how to think critically and reason critically, how to question things. It also entails learning things ranging from history (knowledge of history is very important as a citizen IMO), government, civics, philosophy, arts, science, etc...all of which makes one into a well-rounded person and critical thinker. Basically, a whole knowledge of the history of Western civilization and all of its fruits, from political, to scientific, to artistic.

The modern American educational system is based on the Prussian system, which was very good at producing obedient people, i.e. soldiers and employees, but not critical thinkers. In Prussia at the time, only the small ruling elite were given the classical education. Industry and government otherwise wanted obedient people, industry because the last thing they wanted were any critical thinkers among the workers who could rally them and mess things up and also because stupid people are easier to market lots of products too, and government because dumbed-down people are easier to control and manipulate.

2) Political education

This consists of knowledge of political philosophy and economics and economic and political history. Very boring to most people, but IMO, of utmost importance to being a well-informed citizen and preventing politicians from misleading you and engaging in bad policies. Would consist of studying the major political thinkers and ideas, ranging from Aristotle to Cicero to Thomas Aquinas to Algernon Sydney, John Locke, Charles Montesquieu, Thomas Hobbes, Machiavelli, etc...and economic thinkers and ideas ranging from Adam Smith and Karl Marx and Frederich Engels to John Maynard Keynes and Milton Friedman to basics of modern economics. Also studying Lenin, Stalin, Mao, etc...as well.

I think economic and financial history can be especially important to businesspeople, for example, if times are really good, you can recognize that no matter how good times seem, many a time before when things seemed this way, it turned out to be on the verge of a major bubble popping, and thus can mean such a businessperson is more conservative in their actions then they otherwise might be.

3) Practical education

This consists of things like personal finance, home skills such as metal shop and wood shop (basic woodworking and metalworking skills used to be quite commonplace, now tons of people are totally lost regarding basic hand skills), sewing, cooking, etc...and then one's career education, whether it be a trade or profession. The trade or profession may not be something one is interested in academically, but it is a useful skill to society and hence pays and thus they can provide for themselves and their family.

Personally, I love learning myself. I do not at all think one should only learn for their profession and/or moneymaking opportunities, but the acquisition of knowledge itself. Of course, that is me. And for all the knocking on history as a useless degree, it is not at all useless knowledge. It is in fact one of the most important subjects there is and the lack of knowledge of it among people is a bad thing. No, it may not make you money, but it will mean you are damn well-informed overall when you know it.

4) Life Experience

Oh yes, this too, ranging from the basics of living life to travelling the world, meeting people, experiencing things, etc...as Fortis is always telling me to do :D

Fortis, do you think book learning can help a beginner though in certain areas? For example, say you have great street smarts and learn really well as you go along. But there could be some really good ways you could improve your business or even avoid some blunders that you otherwise would make, from reading books. For example, if you are in manufacturing, if you read books on quality control, you might learn some things to improve your manufacturing operations that you otherwise didn't know and avoid some costly mistakes that you didn't realize.

I don't think I am the right person to answer this for you, I am the type of guy who hates reading instructions :icon_mrgreen:

You learn very quickly when it costs you dollars, cold hard cash, sure you can read stuff in the books, try to prevent things, do you best to avoid certain situations, everyone does it but there is nothing like hands on experience. IMO anyway.

IMO, I think there are four basic forms of education one ought to have:

1) Classical education/liberal arts education (the classical concept of a liberals arts education, not the politically correct modern versions)

Basically this consists of learning how to think critically and reason critically, how to question things. It also entails learning things ranging from history (knowledge of history is very important as a citizen IMO), government, civics, philosophy, arts, science, etc...all of which makes one into a well-rounded person and critical thinker. Basically, a whole knowledge of the history of Western civilization and all of its fruits, from political, to scientific, to artistic.

The modern American educational system is based on the Prussian system, which was very good at producing obedient people, i.e. soldiers and employees, but not critical thinkers. In Prussia at the time, only the small ruling elite were given the classical education. Industry and government otherwise wanted obedient people, industry because the last thing they wanted were any critical thinkers among the workers who could rally them and mess things up and also because stupid people are easier to market lots of products too, and government because dumbed-down people are easier to control and manipulate.

2) Political education

This consists of knowledge of political philosophy and economics and economic and political history. Very boring to most people, but IMO, of utmost importance to being a well-informed citizen and preventing politicians from misleading you and engaging in bad policies. Would consist of studying the major political thinkers and ideas, ranging from Aristotle to Cicero to Thomas Aquinas to Algernon Sydney, John Locke, Charles Montesquieu, Thomas Hobbes, Machiavelli, etc...and economic thinkers and ideas ranging from Adam Smith and Karl Marx and Frederich Engels to John Maynard Keynes and Milton Friedman to basics of modern economics. Also studying Lenin, Stalin, Mao, etc...as well.

I think economic and financial history can be especially important to businesspeople, for example, if times are really good, you can recognize that no matter how good times seem, many a time before when things seemed this way, it turned out to be on the verge of a major bubble popping, and thus can mean such a businessperson is more conservative in their actions then they otherwise might be.

3) Practical education

This consists of things like personal finance, home skills such as metal shop and wood shop (basic woodworking and metalworking skills used to be quite commonplace, now tons of people are totally lost regarding basic hand skills), sewing, cooking, etc...and then one's career education, whether it be a trade or profession. The trade or profession may not be something one is interested in academically, but it is a useful skill to society and hence pays and thus they can provide for themselves and their family.

Personally, I love learning myself. I do not at all think one should only learn for their profession and/or moneymaking opportunities, but the acquisition of knowledge itself. Of course, that is me. And for all the knocking on history as a useless degree, it is not at all useless knowledge. It is in fact one of the most important subjects there is and the lack of knowledge of it among people is a bad thing. No, it may not make you money, but it will mean you are damn well-informed overall when you know it.

4) Life Experience

Oh yes, this too, ranging from the basics of living life to travelling the world, meeting people, experiencing things, etc...as Fortis is always telling me to do :D

You wrote two sentences about the most important part, God knows what you wrote in the other paragraphs because I didn't read any of it, get out, start living please!! :icon_mrgreen:

How about we've completly forgotten why the fcuk we send our kids to school.

College was a place you went to get your ideas challenged. Now it's a giant echo chamber of leftism. It was a place to get an education. Now it's a place to "change the world" never mind the fact that the people there haven't actually ever LIVED in the real world, so how do they know it needs to be changed, and by definition they don't have the education or experience to be the ones to change it. Yeah. The adults know it's all a bunch of mental masturbation and they aren't actually going to accomplish anything so we think it's all a bit cute, but I don't need to pay a half million dollars for my kid to learn to hate me.

brown university students: school is interfering with my social justice activities

And by the way. Free college has existed in this country since 1944. It's called the G.I. Bill. But in 1965 college became a place to go to stay out of the military. And most of those fuckers never left.

I went to college in a military town. There were two reasons the city existed. The university and the Air Force Base. So there were a ton of active duty military attending the school. And the shit they had to endure (with class and patience) from other students AND the fcuking faculty, was ridiculous. It's a wonder none of them ever drove their warthog over the mall and lit the place up.

You wrote two sentences about the most important part, God knows what you wrote in the other paragraphs because I didn't read any of it, get out, start living please!! :icon_mrgreen:

:lol2: Yes, it was a bit long :D It was the four important forms of education in my opinion, so one can be well-rounded. Here it is shortened:

1) Classical learning (how to think and reason critically, civics, history, etc...)

2) Political education (economics and politics so you can't be fooled by politicians)

3) Practical education (personal finance, career education so one can make money)

4) Life experience (travel, meet people, etc...)

:lol2: Yes, it was a bit long :D It was the four important forms of education in my opinion, so one can be well-rounded. Here it is shortened:

1) Classical learning (how to think and reason critically, civics, history, etc...)

2) Political education (economics and politics so you can't be fooled by politicians)

3) Practical education (personal finance, career education so one can make money)

4) Life experience (travel, meet people, etc...)

Still too long. See if you can get it down to a single sentence, 25 words or less.