Did anyone here decide to never have children?

MrDoctor

Can getting snipped have any nasty side effects? I've read of guys getting a lingering pain in the scrotum afterwards.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can getting snipped have any nasty side effects? I've read of guys getting a lingering pain in the scrotum afterwards.

Yes in rare instances you can.

I'm one of the guys that didn't go back to get checked because I was happily married and if a baby was made so be it. The urologist was my friend so I wasn't too worried.

I told my wife I'd just run home after but i didn't obviously. I wasn't a pussy though, I didn't take any Valium before.

When I got home and was sitting with a bag of peas in my lap my Labrador came up and put his head on my thigh and said, "she took you for 'the ride' too huh?"

I want to get snipped...very interested in hearing more about this particular procedure. Maybe we should start a "getting snipped" thread...

Basically there is an aerosol local anesthetic applied, it sort of felt like a little pinch. Then I felt nothing. Then the doc and I talked about sports cars for about 10-15 minutes, and then he went, "Ok you're done." it was about that quick. Of course, I was on Valium too so I didn't care.

I've heard some people who get chronic pain, but my understanding is that it is rare. Nothing feels different for me. There was some scrotal pain for like a week. Then the areas that were cauterized/clipped occasionally would hurt if I sat weird for another couple weeks. Then everything was fine, like nothing changed.

The failure rate is pretty low to be honest. It's a great idea to get samples checked once in a while. There's also a lot of people who get snipped and don't go back in to make sure they're sterile. A few studies have shown that almost 50% of people who get snipped don't even go back in to check sterility.

I refrained from anything until I knew I was 100% sterile. They make you do one check after 6 weeks, then you have to wait another 4 weeks after that to make sure the second sample is also clear. Once that's good, you're considered sterile. They recommend getting checked once or twice a year after that just to be on the safe side.

My understanding with modern vasectomies (in my case, a no needle, no scalpel) that they snip up to 1cm of the vas deferens, then clip and cauterize the ends on both sides. So it's sort of one of those, "Good luck mother nature" sort of things, but shit can happen. But like I said, failure rates are low, so be safe, get checked regularly.

Thanks for the info :icon_thumleft: L Power really has all the answers to life questions...

I want to get snipped...very interested in hearing more about this particular procedure. Maybe we should start a "getting snipped" thread...

Not a bad ider...

I am simplifying here....but I believe this ^ to be true, and it's easy to assume money is the answer to less stress and more happiness. Sometimes it is....but not always.

Sorry I couldn't help myself :icon_mrgreen:

image.jpg

BTW I agree with everything you said :turboalex:

All you people who says the kids are your reason for living would you kill yourself if your kids died? Or would you kill yourself if you didn't have children as you have no reason to live?

There may be a few that think like that but I would not take it that literally.

When I had my first child, I felt like I had purpose and a reason for being on this planet. I had a renewed focus on work so I can best provide for my family. Obviously I had enough reason to live prior to kids or I wouldn't have made it to the point to have them in the first place. Hanging out with friends, helping out parents, driving fast cars and chasing women is more than enough reason to stay alive. :)

If my child was gone, no way would I off myself...unless maybe it was my fault. I don't know that I would be strong enough to live with that guilt.

All you people who says the kids are your reason for living would you kill yourself if your kids died? Or would you kill yourself if you didn't have children as you have no reason to live?

I think that's taking the saying a bit too literal. Ive got a 6 year old step son through marriage who is my boy and another on the way due this april. I think when you say they are the reason for living, its just saying that, you stop worrying about all the physical shit, the toys, the empty luxuries in life. Don't get me wrong, those are great, but with kids, you just change your focus, and in many cases (I cant speak for all) it makes the other shit just not as important. You find happiness in your children in ways you never really thought possible before.

With that said, what a fcuking change having kids is.... Somehow you get energy you never thought you had before and find productivity you never thought existed before.....

There may be a few that think like that but I would not take it that literally.

When I had my first child, I felt like I had purpose and a reason for being on this planet. I had a renewed focus on work so I can best provide for my family. Obviously I had enough reason to live prior to kids or I wouldn't have made it to the point to have them in the first place. Hanging out with friends, helping out parents, driving fast cars and chasing women is more than enough reason to stay alive. :)

If my child was gone, no way would I off myself...unless maybe it was my fault. I don't know that I would be strong enough to live with that guilt.

I was asking half serious and half joking because I find it funny how many people say that the kids are their whole life or their reason for living. What did you live for before kids and what the frack you gonna do when they move out? You gotta have some common sense and balance in life

I will add that I have less stress after having a child. So many things that seemed important or bothered me are now completely insignificant. Yes there are a few new stresses introduced but they are feel more worthwhile, like keeping them happy and healthy.

A bad day at work ends when I come home and see a smiling child bounding toward me, just happy to have me back in his presence.

The increase in smiles and laughter in our home is truly immeasurable.

I was pretty content not having kids. Life was good. I think it would have continued to be good since I would not know what I was missing out on. Spending time with other people's kids, even relative's kids is nowhere close to your own.

To be honest all I have witnessed my whole life are miserable exhausted parents ,with some moments of happiness mixed in,regardless of income. Even well behaved children are a non stop grind .

There is some truth to that. But most find those moments of happiness worth the miserable exhausted times. I am in that camp.

Looking back, I would have done it earlier when I had more energy. Need Red Bull to keep up with em.

Sorry I couldn't help myself

".....I'd rather cry in a Lambo than on a bus"

Good one Fortis!!

Well.......maybe if the bus was a Prevost :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Reflecting back, I can't fcuking imagine having a kid when I was 25, or even 30, I feel like I could barely keep myself from fcuking things up too bad let alone a mini-me.

I know of people from high school who have kids that are now in high school... And here I am, with a moderate level of success and still wondering if we have enough $$ to raise kids properly and give them the best chance at life. How fucked up is that.

I also find it interesting (and not surprising) that a group of high achievers waited till later in life to have kids. That has to be more than a passing coincidence.

I was 37 when I had my first child and had the same thought. How could I have a child the way I was living when I was 30? Smart people adapt to their situation. If you were bar hopping, waking up in random apartments, etc....that would most likely come to a slow down as other priorities would have entered your life.

To be honest all I have witnessed my whole life are miserable exhausted parents ,with some moments of happiness mixed in,regardless of income. Even well behaved children are a non stop grind .

Thats probably because most people like to talk about negative things. Look at the patterns in corporate america...same thing. Walk into the office and the fat slob at the water cooler only likes to talk about whats wrong with the company, how process is broken, job sucks etc. A lot of people like to complain by default.

I honestly over prepared for kids. Always heard how tiring they were, what a financial burden they were, etc. I have 2 kids under the age of 3 and while it has not been a complete cake walk, it hasnt been "miserable" by any means. I have felt very little increased financial burden, and we get our sleep. My wife had both kids sleeping through the night by 10 weeks old.

The one thing that has drastically changed is my outlook on what is important (Like AG0M said)

Thats probably because most people like to talk about negative things. Look at the patterns in corporate america...same thing. Walk into the office and the fat slob at the water cooler only likes to talk about whats wrong with the company, how process is broken, job sucks etc. A lot of people like to complain by default.

I honestly over prepared for kids. Always heard how tiring they were, what a financial burden they were, etc. I have 2 kids under the age of 3 and while it has not been a complete cake walk, it hasnt been "miserable" by any means. I have felt very little increased financial burden, and we get our sleep. My wife had both kids sleeping through the night by 10 weeks old.

The one thing that has drastically changed is my outlook on what is important (Like AG0M said)

Oh course the other side of this is that I hear parents tell me all the time that they make the situation sound better than it is and they don't even know why they do it. I think it's biological to get non parents to breed.....oh it hasn't cause me much financial or personal stress and they sleep thru the night ever since they were new born! hahahah

Would you kill yourself if your kids died?

Me Quite possibly. I have a friend who recently lost his only child. She was 21 years old. He goes on but he and his wife are shells of the people they once were. They have her infant so to raise now though.

Your second question. You don't get it UNTIL you have the kids. It changes who you are. If you never have them you're life hasn't been impacted the same.

What do you do when your kids leave the home? I'll be in my 50's. I'll get some hobbies and relax happy in the fact that I raised some amazing people.

Would you kill yourself if your kids died?

Me Quite possibly. I have a friend who recently lost his only child. She was 21 years old. He goes on but he and his wife are shells of the people they once were. They have her infant so to raise now though.

Your second question. You don't get it UNTIL you have the kids. It changes who you are. If you never have them you're life hasn't been impacted the same.

What do you do when your kids leave the home? I'll be in my 50's. I'll get some hobbies and relax happy in my fact that I raised some amazing people.

50's just isn't that old anymore, prime time to start enjoy the fruits of a successful career.

When I got home and was sitting with a bag of peas in my lap my Labrador came up and put his head on my thigh and said, "she took you for 'the ride' too huh?"

:lol2: :lol2:

What do you do when your kids leave the home? I'll be in my 50's. I'll get some hobbies and relax happy in the fact that I raised some amazing people.

:icon_super: :icon_super: :icon_super:

I have had several friends tell me that having kids brought joy into their lives that they would have never thought possible. Hearing things like that definitely makes me reconsider "not" having them. :) We'll see.

:iamwithstupid:

I don't have kids and this feels instinctive.

A few fathers have told me it didn't even hit them immediately upon childbirth...some a few days after.

Oh course the other side of this is that I hear parents tell me all the time that they make the situation sound better than it is and they don't even know why they do it. I think it's biological to get non parents to breed.....oh it hasn't cause me much financial or personal stress and they sleep thru the night ever since they were new born! hahahah

Please don't take this the wrong way because I am genuinely curious.

What makes you happy? Excited, etc? Based on your Internet persona you must be an absolute joy to be around :icon_mrgreen:

Please don't take this the wrong way because I am genuinely curious.

What makes you happy? Excited, etc? Based on your Internet persona you must be an absolute joy to be around :icon_mrgreen:

My guess:

He probably gets some joy from arm barring or guillotine choke holding his opponents in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Based on his talent level, he has more than enough ability to defend himself in the real world and to continue training for the sake of getting better seems like a waste of time.

My guess:

He probably gets some joy from arm barring or guillotine choke holding his opponents in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Based on his talent level, he has more than enough ability to defend himself in the real world and to continue training for the sake of getting better seems like a waste of time.

Oops, time to beef up security you say? :lol2: