Ignition Aventador SV Review

Supercar Ace

Don't mind the host, but this segment is solid otherwise. Time to get the cash flow up so I can spring for one of these monsters :eusa_dance:

Don't mind the host, but this segment is solid otherwise. Time to get the cash flow up so I can spring for one of these monsters :eusa_dance:

Man talk about a massive build up and then a full face plant!!! I was loving the video and all excited until they showed the numbers. Is it true about the Super Ts in 2017? I hadn't heard anything.

Man talk about a massive build up and then a full face plant!!! I was loving the video and all excited until they showed the numbers. Is it true about the Super Ts in 2017? I hadn't heard anything.

Clean lap I'm sure the SV could beat the 918's time on the ring. At Willow Springs though, I wasn't too surprised by the result.

I've heard that the Super T's are coming later this year...only time will tell.

Clean lap I'm sure the SV could beat the 918's time on the ring. At Willow Springs though, I wasn't too surprised by the result.

My understanding is that the 918 runs out of battery on the long ring circuit so that equalizes the HP on the straight-aways. Plus the SV was running on experimental Pirelli's, not the stock Corsas.

Great video. Motor Trend's youtube channel is one of my favorites.

My understanding is that the 918 runs out of battery on the long ring circuit so that equalizes the HP on the straight-aways. Plus the SV was running on experimental Pirelli's, not the stock Corsas.

Great video. Motor Trend's youtube channel is one of my favorites.

SV was NOT running experimental Pirelli's - as stated "it's just awesome".

The 918 on the other hand is running far better tires and took multliple cars and an entire race team to get their time.

Nice video looking forward to the Trofeo's.

The 918 on the other hand is running far better tires and took multliple cars and an entire race team to get their time.

And I had heard from a source as well that when they got that time and wanted to go for a 3rd run they were told "hold back. we can't over shadow the other car" in reference to the 918 since Porsche/Audi are in the same family. Since they are pushing the hybrid agenda it would look bad if a NA V12 "dinosaur" beat the latest and greatest. Funny thing is the SV's ring time is probably quicker than the P1 and the La-Ferrari as well.

My pleasure to post, vids like this get me excited plus I love seeing all the roads I drive around here getting devoured by a big V12.

And I had heard from a source as well that when they got that time and wanted to go for a 3rd run they were told "hold back. we can't over shadow the other car" in reference to the 918 since Porsche/Audi are in the same family. Since they are pushing the hybrid agenda it would look bad if a NA V12 "dinosaur" beat the latest and greatest. Funny thing is the SV's ring time is probably quicker than the P1 and the La-Ferrari as well.

My pleasure to post, vids like this get me excited plus I love seeing all the roads I drive around here getting devoured by a big V12.

We all know the Trofeo's are available but being held back add the race exhaust - there goes two seconds plus.

Lamborghini got another 30hp out of the Centenario engine - hoping that's transferred to the SV for a price.

If the Centenario ever hits the track and or the SV receives the upgrades - game changer.

If the Centenario ever hits the track and or the SV receives the upgrades - game changer.

Yeah, it might even beat the Huracan.

We all know the Trofeo's are available but being held back add the race exhaust - there goes two seconds plus.

Lamborghini got another 30hp out of the Centenario engine - hoping that's transferred to the SV for a price.

Trofeo R s not worth two seconds plus on a track like Willow.

Highly doubt that the SV is faster than either 918 or P1 anywhere.

Nothing seen in any test by magazine shows that currently.

It sounds amazing and looks bloody good in that red.

:iamwithstupid:

Yeah, it might even beat the Huracan.

The Huracan is a weapon, the SL will be a game changer for Lamborghini. I've also heard rumors that they are planning a GT3 like RWD Huracan, excited to see if that materializes.

The Huracan is a weapon, the SL will be a game changer for Lamborghini. I've also heard rumors that they are planning a GT3 like RWD Huracan, excited to see if that materializes.

Agree Huracan is the faster platform.

2018 engines will be limited to 4L - if they can even make a V12 they have to add turbo or batteries to produce the power required to attract buyers no one wants less horsepower.

Turbo's Batteries on an exotic - no thanks.

Keep drinking that Kool Aid.....

You still think the SV is only 2secs slower than the 918 at the Ring? You still think the SV is faster than the P1 at the Ring? You think the SV is just as fast as the LaF/918/P1 on any track in the world? Oh boy....

You still think the SV is only 2secs slower than the 918 at the Ring? You still think the SV is faster than the P1 at the Ring? You think the SV is just as fast as the LaF/918/P1 on any track in the world? Oh boy....

Not to be a dick, but I dont find these hybrid hypercars performance to be surprising anymore. At first when they came out I was shocked, but now they seem to be not that far away from current high end supercars. Just look at what the tests suggest, SV is near those. Look at cars like Viper ACR, VetteZ06 and 675LT.

Race exhaust 60 to 100 hp Trofeo tires vs the 918 Wei soki soki don't forget the umbilical cord on track day.

:iamwithstupid: with factory tune and race exhaust they are claiming an additional 60-70hp that would change the game imo

Does the race exhaust add 60-70 hp on the top end, or it is like the LP700 exhaust update which adds 8-10% hp in the low-middle of the power range?

Does the race exhaust add 60-70 hp on the top end, or it is like the LP700 exhaust update which adds 8-10% hp in the low-middle of the power range?

they say the remapping makes most of the difference but I believe its mid-top end. it does suck more gas unfortunately :( but it is a beast!

I'm a bit leary of the claim that an SV is the fastest hypercar in the world around the Ring or most race tracks. As such how are we sure it's faster than an F12 TDF? I'm not sure that it is.

The base hp for the 918/P1/LaF are already comparable or higher than the SV without the hybrid motors, and I'm pretty sure they're all lighter by a decent amount too. I don't think it's a stretch to say the engineering is equal or greater given their general release dates.

Whether AWD is quicker than RWD is a non factor as you have both from the hypercar segment.

The bottom line is that it really doesn't matter. The SV is a pretty dramatic visual and performance improvement over a standard Aventador while offering unbelievable performance.

It fits the target market perfectly.

Not to be a dick, but I dont find these hybrid hypercars performance to be surprising anymore. At first when they came out I was shocked, but now they seem to be not that far away from current high end supercars. Just look at what the tests suggest, SV is near those. Look at cars like Viper ACR, VetteZ06 and 675LT.

Of the 3 cars you mentioned, only the Viper ACR gets close to the Hypercars with its high downforce set up. But when you have a longer proper GP track, the Hypercars will walk away from the Viper ACR due to the huge power difference. In the corners, yes, the Viper ACR is probably even faster with its ultra sticky tires and high downforce.

Honestly, the Aventador SV is not a proper fast car at the track. I know a lot of guys at the VAG group, so I know what went on in the SV test at the N-Ring. I also know Dr. Walliser when he was the head of the 918 department and I know exactly how much faster the 918 has gained since its 6:57 lap time with the additional development time. The Big Willow lap record set by the 918 was with the initial testing prototype, even so, the delta between the 918 (prototype, pre-optimization) and the SV (production) is almost 2 seconds. On a track like the N-Ring, which is 5 times longer, it's easy to extrapolate the real difference between the two. So I ask, do you really think the SV is only 2 seconds slower than the 918 at the Ring?

I think people on this forum is not realizing how good the Huracan platform is and the potential that it has to grow with future iterations of the SL or Trofeo. Now, that's a Lambo I'm looking forward to seeing at the track!

BTW, I'm more a fan of the Motor Trend youtube channel than Top Gear of late. A bit more focused on the cars and driving, whereas TG is IMHO more general entertainment with cars as the backdrop.

It doesn't matter to me if The Stig is quicker or not than Randy Pobst.....nobody outside Tiff Needell offers that level of subjective driver feedback on the cars being reviewed from the UK shows.

for a weekend warrior and occasional track day weapon there is nothing better than a SV IMO in the 500k and under price range.

I think it looks better than a 918 and p1 and performs almost as well IMO. (without electrical assistance)

that being said I am excited about the huracan SL!

Of the 3 cars you mentioned, only the Viper ACR gets close to the Hypercars with its high downforce set up. But when you have a longer proper GP track, the Hypercars will walk away from the Viper ACR due to the huge power difference. In the corners, yes, the Viper ACR is probably even faster with its ultra sticky tires and high downforce.

Honestly, the Aventador SV is not a proper fast car at the track. I know a lot of guys at the VAG group, so I know what went on in the SV test at the N-Ring. I also know Dr. Walliser when he was the head of the 918 department and I know exactly how much faster the 918 has gained since its 6:57 lap time with the additional development time. The Big Willow lap record set by the 918 was with the initial testing prototype, even so, the delta between the 918 (prototype, pre-optimization) and the SV (production) is almost 2 seconds. On a track like the N-Ring, which is 5 times longer, it's easy to extrapolate the real difference between the two. So I ask, do you really think the SV is only 2 seconds slower than the 918 at the Ring?

I think people on this forum is not realizing how good the Huracan platform is and the potential that it has to grow with future iterations of the SL or Trofeo. Now, that's a Lambo I'm looking forward to seeing at the track!

I posted the Huracan platform was a better set up so there goes that theory.

How can you compare a prototype 918 factory driver and race team vs the SV road car and say the SV is not a proper fast race car is nonsense.

You are so in the know but don't know what the SV can do with the additional 60 - 80hp race exhaust tune and Trofeo's.

918 guys are so into your precious bunny - private club that's great but it's simply wrong and the Huracan will most likely terminate all the 918 records if they allow it.

Let's get back to the SV Willow run - who knows how hard the SV was pushed personally think not at all from the video.

Your 918 party is ending it's not if it's when - the stock Viper at 120k no race support strong driver against strong driver there is zero notable difference.

Before we get too in the trenches...

I don't think anyone is denying that the Huracan is a great platform. And to the Viper ACR excample, any car can be tuned to go blazingly quick given he proper setup (mechanical, tires, tune, ect.). The point I'm getting at is that the SV as is could probably equal the 918 on the right track, but with a more aggressive tune (tires, race exhaust) it's not beyond the realm of realism to see an SV that equals if not bests the 918. I don't work for Porsche or for Lambo, so I have no materially vested interest in one beating the other, I just like the Lambo a lot more and will always root for it.

As mentioned in many other threads, all of these cars are insanely fast, and .02% of us will actually professionally race these things for times, so if one is 2 seconds faster or the other is a .1 seconds faster who cares? I love the fact that after growing up a die-hard Lambo fan and hearing from the Ferrari and Porsche snobs that Lambo's aren't "proper cars" Lamborghini has produced a car that not only looks more aggressively insane than anything else, but also runs numbers that can't be denied. I'm certainly biased since the Aventador SV is my present favorite car and my favorite Lamborghini ever (just ahead of my first love, the Diablo SV) but that aside the SV makes a very compelling case for itself with the numbers. Plus I love rooting for and seeing the last "old school" supercar DNA put the modern thinking on it's heels. A naturally aspirated V12 with a single clutch is right in the running with the new turbo-hybrids and it's at half the cost. Plus it looks nuts, sounds epic and the doors go up.

Carlos Lago of Motor Trend summed it up best when he first reviewed the Aventador in 2012: "This is the car that is a poster car for sure. but it's also the car that deserves to be on the poster."