Home Security Threat - Advice Needed

emissary

NVG and "zombie" ammo will get you in more trouble than it is worth. they will say you are baiting a trap.

+1. Anything unconventionally used by most gun owners will put you in a hairy situation. i.e. Suppressors, Fully Automatic Weapons, unconventional ammo types.

I doubt O.P. is going to use any crazy weapons or ammo but for anyone else, there was a court case in the 1980's where a worker for HK and his girlfriend were almost ran off the road, chased, and shot at by a felon. The worker had a fully automatic Ruger in the car because his job was to test weapons. Long story short, the worker made it back to HK headquarters which was in a secure compound and the attacker made it through the gate. The worker having to defend himself exited the vehicle with the Ruger and shot the attacker. The weapon being fully automatic and firing off multiple rounds (most I believe hitting the attacker) led to a very hairy court situation. The assailant was killed, but while the rounds hit him, he rotated his body which caused some rounds to end up in his back making it appear as though he tried to run away, further complicating the case. Heckler & Koch paid all legal fees for the worker and hired all of the lawyers who then had to explain:

1.) why a nonconventional fully automatic weapon was used to fight back instead of a semi auto weapon.

2.) why there were rounds in the back of the assailant.

Worker got off scott free from the case as the shooting was justified, but it was a difficult defense for him because of the uncommon factors in the situation.

Point in hand is just use what most people use for home defense. Don't try and get all special

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of the advise provided could take a bit of time to put in place, but if you want a quick and easy fix to put in place right now to make someone run from your front door that you don't want there, then maybe consider one or two of these type of things in the link below. Place it in a non visible place at the entrance to your front door, and run basically an invisible fish line from the device through a small opening in your front door (if you have such a small opening to fit a fish line). Then just pull on the fish line when desired to pull the pin from the device. It is loud as hell, so you will also need ear plugs if you need to go put the pin back in the device to make it stop. But by then I just don't see anyone sticking around your doorway when it goes off. Keep a mop handy too for cleaning their pee off your sidewalk after it goes off. Get one and pull the pin...you will see. I couldn't even imagine the sound with two of them rigged together onto one fish line, if you favor super extreme.

http://jrssecurityplus.com/130db-alarm-w-door-alarm.html

Sounds like you are ready to go to war LOL

Its what I do for a living :-) We have another team guy in here as well. The gun guys on here will know who Im talking about. He might chime in.. Also one of my guys lives across on your side of the pond.

And to the ones mentioned "zombie ammo" or "crazy weapons"....I dont understand your meaning behind that..Nor have I ever used "zombie ammo". And Ive used all types of ammo from HP, Tracers, custom loads, to Simms, and everything in-between. haha. Its probably not the best idea to put out bad info to someone trying to protect his home or family. No offense meant with that comment. I will use what ever legal tools I have at my disposal to protect my loved ones...And yes that also includes NODs/NVGs, Weapon system, Suppressor, and also my plate carrier if I need to dawn it or have my wife put it on to shield herself and my kids.

Now I understand that they is a very slim chance if it gets to court, they can say you modified your firearm. Well you do understand even changing the iron sights on your gun is still considered modifying....Now lets move onto that full auto/class 3 weapons. There is no average person that will be "legally" able to acquire one. If you fall into a category where you can have a Class 3 weapon or alike, I highly doubt you would care what happens to you in court if you just saved your families life, and they only thing they could say negative was the legal tool you used to eliminate that threat.

I really would like some of you guys to think about this for a second...Imagine someone making entry to you home and tied you up. You are USELESS to your loved ones...Your kids and wife are now open season for some of these sick fucks out in this world. I won't go into details on the things we actually see and here about in the field. But it is not pretty. So bad that you would wish they would of just shot them and not let them go through certain things...When I do train (training side is only 20% of my work) certain clients of mine on home defense we cover this part in detail and the man of the house does get tied up and things start to get real for him and the rest of the family. I hope nothing even comes close to this on any of your families or loved ones. Also I hope to NEVER have a business assignment (in this industry) with any of you or anyone you know, unless its Training or PSD/EP work.

Also Doc, did you go through the process of registering your firearms in Hawaii? Thats a pain in the ass...

Sorry for such a long post. I just would NEVER want any of you or your loved ones to be put in this position or have any harm done.

-Willis

Contacting police sounds good, they might be on the look out for that vehicle and crew and now you know where they move. Police might get them before they come back.

Also Doc, did you go through the process of registering your firearms in Hawaii? Thats a pain in the ass...

-Willis

Hey Willis! Haven't talked to you in a while. I hope all is going well! I did unfortunately have to register my cannons here. It was such a huge pain in the ass. Furlough workers that committed crimes freely roam the streets here while "working" and a few of them go missing every day. Meanwhile, for someone like me to have registered my weapons I can't take out of my home (except to the range), I had to pay $5 for parking at the police station, I was fingerprinted on all fingers at the station like a criminal, I had to have multiple background checks, and I had to stand in multiple lines at the police station for a few hours and have exact change to get my "permits" or move to the back of the line and try again, then wait for phone calls and then go back and do the process again just to pick up my permit. Such a pain in the ass. Meanwhile, we have police officers getting their personal vehicles stolen here while full of weapons, and we can't do anything about it but get shot because concealed carry isn't legal. Can't wait to move off of this beautiful rock!

For everyone talking about shooting someone, the laws from state to state vary WIDELY. Knowing the local laws and likely court scenarios can be a high challenge. You'll be a hero on the front page in some states, while in others your family would be slaughtered and you'd be vilified for life. It's truly staggering how assed up some places are. That's not to say whether or not you should defend yourself, but knowing the laws can at least help you come up with a strategy to stay on the offensive and cover your ass rather than reacting blindly in the short hairs, relying on blanket statements of what's important in life. We're all pretty clear on what's important. The "defending yourself" game plan shouldn't end at the muzzle.

For everyone talking about shooting someone, the laws from state to state vary WIDELY. Knowing the local laws and likely court scenarios can be a high challenge. You'll be a hero on the front page in some states, while in others your family would be slaughtered and you'd be vilified for life. It's truly staggering how assed up some places are. That's not to say whether or not you should defend yourself, but knowing the laws can at least help you come up with a strategy to stay on the offensive and cover your ass rather than reacting blindly in the short hairs, relying on blanket statements of what's important in life. We're all pretty clear on what's important. The "defending yourself" game plan shouldn't end at the muzzle.

:iamwithstupid: Case and point below. There are many factors in the case below and yes I believe it was right that he the home owner was found guilty.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/...-teens/8480047/

LITTLE FALLS, Minn. — A Minnesota homeowner who killed two teens during a break-in was convicted Tuesday of premeditated murder and will spend his life in prison without parole.

Bryon Smith, 65, had claimed he was defending himself during the break-in at his home in this city of about 8,000 on Thanksgiving Day 2012.

Minnesota law allows a person to use deadly force for defense, but that action must be considered reasonable.

During closing arguments, the six-man, six-woman jury heard two portrayals of Smith — one a man who feared for his life because of previous burglaries and another of a man who baiting the teenagers in what a prosecutor likened to deer hunting.

Smith, 65, was convicted of two counts each of first- and second-degree murder in the deaths of Haile Kifer, 18, and Nick Brady, 17. The cousins were killed Nov. 22, 2012, after Smith fired a total of nine shots from two different weapons when Brady broke into his house on the Mississippi River about 100 miles northwest of Minneapolis and Kifer followed about 11 minutes later.

AND...

Just when you think you've got it figured out for your locale, something new happens or an incident changes things. It's a moving target. Plus, in the search for opinions in your local area, there will always be more bad legal advice than good because 1) it's a moving target, and 2) neither the hardest-core gun advocates nor the rainbow peaceniks can have a clear understanding of reality. ...so frustrating.

I know of some state laws that talk about requirements for having a suitable exit plan and all sorts of stipulations defining what being cornered amounts to and how any situation other than what is defined in the law leads to your own crucifixion. ...pure insanity in writing.

Hey Willis! Haven't talked to you in a while. I hope all is going well! I did unfortunately have to register my cannons here. It was such a huge pain in the ass. Furlough workers that committed crimes freely roam the streets here while "working" and a few of them go missing every day. Meanwhile, for someone like me to have registered my weapons I can't take out of my home (except to the range), I had to pay $5 for parking at the police station, I was fingerprinted on all fingers at the station like a criminal, I had to have multiple background checks, and I had to stand in multiple lines at the police station for a few hours and have exact change to get my "permits" or move to the back of the line and try again, then wait for phone calls and then go back and do the process again just to pick up my permit. Such a pain in the ass. Meanwhile, we have police officers getting their personal vehicles stolen here while full of weapons, and we can't do anything about it but get shot because concealed carry isn't legal. Can't wait to move off of this beautiful rock!

I totally understand what your saying bro..It is just so crazy, look what just happened to that elderly lady in the store in Kalihi area. They choked her out and stole a soda. Really, thats not the Hawaii I grew up in. We took care of the people and land. So Sad. And Hawaii is the very state that SingleSeat and a few other members have mentioned about the laws that will throw you in jail really quick for defending yourself with a firearm. Oh wait till you go to that "only" range on the island. It is a pathetic range!! And RSO's are pretty clueless. Its a give and take thing living on that rock. Before crime was never that bad, so you really didn't need to worry about arming yourself. Ill definitely let you know when I fly back to visit!

Thanks bud. I've never shot that but have seen them at Bass Pro I believe. Looks like a marketing gimmick. But if it sells, then the marketing is working. :-)

People always thought it was weird that a psycho like me cared so much for his rose garden. I had a plaque "Rose Guardin'" and they kinda got it. Perimeter of attractive (but thorny) plants, dog, lights, cameras and a gun.

Be tacticool

12940270_771319723005031_960352245_n.jpg

Me in the garden:

meanwhile-in-russia-4.jpg

People always thought it was weird that a psycho like me cared so much for his rose garden. I had a plaque "Rose Guardin'" and they kinda got it. Perimeter of attractive (but thorny) plants, dog, lights, cameras and a gun.

Be tacticool

12940270_771319723005031_960352245_n.jpg

Me in the garden:

meanwhile-in-russia-4.jpg

Do you shoot the chicks with those cameras?

Do you shoot the chicks with those cameras?
I have done shoots with spy cameras, toy cameras, security cameras, homemade cameras using hoses, optics, water for a lense, even a broken overhead projector with a desktop scanner. It all depends on my mood and what i am playing with. Last few years I have preferred to be more of an engineer than an artist. I built an array of infrared LED when I thought my ex was gonna come back and rob me but wanted to catch her without tipping her off I had lights.