My old LP640 6-Speed just showed up on Craigslist

Double

My LP640 just passed the 45k mile mark..... It has never run better in my five years of ownership.

Thats because I BROKE it in right from when it was brand new LOVE that car... a true one of a kind GATED 6 speed... BOY I wish I could have just kept all the cars that have gone through my hands.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering the last few comps on 6 speed LP640 cars...this price is not out of the neighborhood.

We have the Yellow 6 speed that was totaled recently in LA...insurance paid out over $300K if I recall correctly. Then the Gold one that sold at Auction, $315K PLUS 10% buyers fee, so $346,500.00

Makes me think my 4,400 mile Black 07 with CCB LP640 Gated one that I have coming back in is a $375K car

...and Ed's VI car, 08, 8200 mile 640 with CCB and gated is a $425K car..??

Have you done any major engine mechanical work at this point?

No, just the required services. I bought it with 30k miles.

i MUST SAY..it amazes me that everyone gets scarred of miles on a $350K plus machine...start asking "what major mechanicalo engine work you do at 20K",....

I mean WTF....do you ask if your 25K toyota had its engine rebuilt at 25K miles, HELL NO, it goes 300K miles EVEN when you beat the crap out of it...

WHY THE hell does everyone think a $350K car, 10 times the cost of a POS Toyota wont last past 25K miles with out MAJOR MONEY to fix it???

These cars are spot on if serviced AND DRIVEN...not left to rot away in a garage on a lift....

Give me a LAMBO all day long with some miles...it will kick ass up and down the street on these 4k mile garage queens!! P E R I O D ...

43K on my 6.0SE JUST put a new clutch in this summer, and thats all plus tiresw of course

29K on my 670SV, never been stronger, not a single issue AND still on the first factory clutch AND IT WILL hang with an AVENTADOR ALL DAY LONG...Just ask the ones that could not shake me on the Italian Stampede recently and ended up pulling a lane over to let me go by...cant say the speeds as I dont want to go to jail LOL LOL

Considering the last few comps on 6 speed LP640 cars...this price is not out of the neighborhood.

We have the Yellow 6 speed that was totaled recently in LA...insurance paid out over $300K if I recall correctly. Then the Gold one that sold at Auction, $315K PLUS 10% buyers fee, so $346,500.00

Makes me think my 4,400 mile Black 07 with CCB LP640 Gated one that I have coming back in is a $375K car

...and Ed's VI car, 08, 8200 mile 640 with CCB and gated is a $425K car..??

http://www.rmauctions.com/az16/arizona/lot...4-coupe/1078355

Lot 111

2007 Lamborghini Murciélago LP640-4 Coupe

Chassis no. ZHWBU37M77LA02595

Sold for $297,000

It's because of the horror stories.

Unfortunately, exotics aren't built like Toyota Corollas, and yes, that includes the Murcis. With Corollas, you can park your car in the rain without having it blow all your expensive coil packs, you can close your doors with the windows down without the glass falling off the tracks, you can leave your lights on while driving without clouding up the inside of the hard-to-open $7K-a-piece lenses, you don't have to worry about blowing a $15K clutch from just from loading/unloading the car from a transporter, you can press the buttons on the dash without them falling apart, you can put non-OEM set of tires without blowing up the $5-10K differential, you can check the engine oil level accurately and easily so you don't accidentally damage the engine, you can repair its steal body panels without having to replace them with $10-15K carbon fiber panels, etc, etc, etc. There's even been posts with pics of engines that have worn through their camshafts after 17K miles.

Look at Computerexpress on the other forum of how all this is working out for him. He bought a car that was advertised as perfect by the seller with no issues and like new but good amount of miles, and he's already $40K into months of repairs on a $105K car without barely driving it since he got it, and I would venture a guess that he's going to have many more expensive surprises before he's done.

It's important to really validate a Murci before buying one and ask questions. The car costs 10 times more because of the emotions it creates (according to their CEO), not because it's 10 times more reliable than a Toyota!!

i MUST SAY..it amazes me that everyone gets scarred of miles on a $350K plus machine...start asking "what major mechanicalo engine work you do at 20K",....

I mean WTF....do you ask if your 25K toyota had its engine rebuilt at 25K miles, HELL NO, it goes 300K miles EVEN when you beat the crap out of it...

WHY THE hell does everyone think a $350K car, 10 times the cost of a POS Toyota wont last past 25K miles with out MAJOR MONEY to fix it???

These cars are spot on if serviced AND DRIVEN...not left to rot away in a garage on a lift....

Give me a LAMBO all day long with some miles...it will kick ass up and down the street on these 4k mile garage queens!! P E R I O D ...

43K on my 6.0SE JUST put a new clutch in this summer, and thats all plus tiresw of course

29K on my 670SV, never been stronger, not a single issue AND still on the first factory clutch AND IT WILL hang with an AVENTADOR ALL DAY LONG...Just ask the ones that could not shake me on the Italian Stampede recently and ended up pulling a lane over to let me go by...cant say the speeds as I dont want to go to jail LOL LOL

I want to take both sides of the last few posts:

Yes they're expensive to fix. Yes they do not have the day-to-day-build quality of new common cars. The difference is - exclusivity. You buy one of these cars because you really want it - even moreso than most other people driving cars. So plan on paying the price, one way or another.

This spring I bought a one-owner Phantom with 24k miles and an absolute ton of service records from the same Rolls-Royce dealer. Sure I got it for a great price. Unfortunately it has needed $30k worth of work since I got it and I'm probably looking at a new transmission soon as-well. Am I upset about this? No. I look at the whole picture - first and foremost - what I wanted which included one-owner, non-smoker, certain colors, and provenance (paperwork). Then the uniqueness. And finally the value. It was worth it to me because of what I have, now.

Remember - very few people are total idiots in this game. If a car is unusually low-priced - there's a reason. And despite a decade of Roy saying otherwise about these cars, high-mileage exotics spook the uninitiated, which lowers the market value on that particular vehicle. Lifelong beliefs (including myths) are hard to shed.

Gratuitous Phantom pic attached. I don't usually name cars but this one is The Duchess.

13350269_10209548343856343_7585940804685451231_o.jpg

I guess I have been real lucky with my own cars. I agree there are always some story's to be told about a car, but I still think there are a lot less storys then good examples out in the world. Seems like negative stuff ALWAYS gets the print and positive stuff not so much.

No, just the required services. I bought it with 30k miles.

Wow that's beautiful you have the balls to enjoy it like that. I usually put around 1k a year on my LP640.

Well, I'm on both sides of the coin here. Here's my former Diablo VT Roadster hitting 70K miles with my exgf coming back from a club. I had the typical design flaw problem of the headers and after I replaced them the car was rock solid reliable....the gf....not so much lol. Sure, I burned through GFA's but I attribute that to early module designs.

20140831_020341.jpg

20140831_020441.jpg

Now, here's my Murcielago Roadster bought with 10k miles and just as I hit 18k, the egear stopped working correctly. After going through the whole car, 50 hours of labor later, they found some frayed wires inside the harness. This sent errant signals and burned out the ABS module. We're in the process of having it repaired to make sure where the signal originated from so we can back trace and make sure this doesn't happen again. I have NEVER had such stupid electronic issues with the older cars. The car is still out going on 2 months now. Poor Gabe and JeffLambo have been going crazy trying to sort this one out. They actually had to remove a good portion of the harness just to test every single plug and connector.

...and I do not have a bottom feeder Murci. I bought this one over a few LP640's Roy found because I know the full history on this car and it's the best condition Murcie Roadster out there.

I don't think there's anything wrong with high miles. It's the overcomplicated electronics that breakdown over time that's the main cause of the problems. Sure an Aventator is great now....how about when it's 10 years old?

20160726_190529_1469574510788.jpg

20160726_190558_1469574510437.jpg

20160726_190456_1469574510509.jpg

....at least I won a Platinum and Best In Show with the Murcielago at the Celebration Exotic Car Festival lol

Fortis - Have you owned a Phantom? They require a lot of maintenance. And parts are far-and-away the most expensive of any brand. I work with car dealers and the front suspension is known to go out on Phantoms every 12k miles, at a cost of north of $20k. And there's a 2014 Drophead with 8000 miles getting a new transmission locally. You might spend some time in a Rolls-Royce dealership before making a comment like that.

Fortis - Have you owned a Phantom? They require a lot of maintenance. And parts are far-and-away the most expensive of any brand. I work with car dealers and the front suspension is known to go out on Phantoms every 12k miles, at a cost of north of $20k. And there's a 2014 Drophead with 8000 miles getting a new transmission locally. You might spend some time in a Rolls-Royce dealership before making a comment like that.

Why are you getting aggravated? I was just having a laugh.

I don't really get where you are going with your first question and I don't want to jump to conclusions :icon_mrgreen: either way, if I wanted one I'd buy new so mechanical issues would be the least of my concerns having said that I have less than zero desire to own a Phantom so the answer is no, also I had no idea you have to spend time at dealerships before you can have opinions on cars LOL.

Based on your feedback now I want one even less, if that's even possible, if you think it's the norm and you are ok with spending a tone of money on a virtually near new car which is sort of accepted to be the benchmark in quality and class more power to you, personally I would hold the brand to a higher standard and wouldn't accept it.

That's crazy! I've been considering getting a drophead soon but I had always heard good things about them reliability wise. This is making me second guess that purchase.

That's crazy! I've been considering getting a drophead soon but I had always heard good things about them reliability wise. This is making me second guess that purchase.

Prices dropping and rr announced that there won't be a replacement when the next gen phantom comes out. I've been on the fence as well but now seems like a good time to get a used one through a dealer with warranty.

I don't really get where you are going with your first question and I don't want to jump to conclusions

No conclusion to jump to. My point was that without having owned one, you couldn't have known this.

if I wanted one I'd buy new so mechanical issues would be the least of my concerns

I'm too cheap to buy a car like this new. And though you wouldn't be out-of-pocket under warranty, you'd still have the hassle of dealing with repairs.

having said that I have less than zero desire to own a Phantom

A guy came to South Florida to buy a Phantom. He looked at it and was considering it. Given now close by our Shop is, he showed up to look at upgrade wheels for that car. I told him what I said here and he got so spooked that he ended up not buying the Phantom. (Yes, we probably lost a sale on some expensive wheels because of it, meh). For all-around reliability, the Ghost is a much better car.

car which is sort of accepted to be the benchmark in quality ... personally I would hold the brand to a higher standard and wouldn't accept it.

Understood. Let me be clear on this. The 2003 through 2016 Rolls-Royce Phantom, is the overall most problematic car I've ever heard of that is over $100k. I see Phantoms in the dealers and repair facilities that I'm in constantly, and out of curiousity I always ask what for. I think that the biggest problem, is the shear weight of the vehicles versus the suspension, and the transmission. Strangely, it's pretty-much an M5 transmission. But problems abound because of the weight. The front struts go at about 12k miles. They can only be replaced in pairs - cost of which is currently $18k. Related wishbones and suspension pieces wear in the same manner. $4k. Wacky electronics go. Things like a rear door latch which has a built-in lock actuator, is over $1k. The clocks constantly fall apart on these - literally the numbers fall off inside of the housing which rotates. Wood delaminates. Stainless pits. On-and-on-and-on-and-on. And everything I said - I've seen on cars under warranty. There's no aftermarket and there's no forums for help. You pay Rolls-Royce (at-least for the parts) and you're on your own.

Oh, lastly - with all of that girth and it's particular ride design, handling is akin to captaining a yacht.

Fortis and others - I hope that this helps. I don't want to derail this thread anymore so if anyone has questions just message me and I'll start a thread in the appropriate section elsewhere on here.

I can't take any credit at all.....just my credit card lol The car is still in the shop. Gabe Morales of Exotic Motors South in conjunction with JeffLambo have been working on the car. Gabe's shop is the offical Koenigegg service center. He also flies out to California where he works on them at Newport with Jeff. He found the frayed wire in the harness where it comes into the cabin on the driver's side. We still can't figure out how this happened in an inclosed wiring harness.

Wow Shamile! Where is that wire located?

Shamile that's awesome. Great job finding the fix.

The white hand should have given a clue it's not me.....but the WEDDING RING!! ....definately not me :D

We still can't figure out how this happened in an inclosed wiring harness.

The only logical explanation is "hand built Italian exotic car."

It's clearly not something that happens to a lot of these cars, or we would be hearing about it. Maybe too much wine before their shift that day?

Either that or crazy previous owner or mechanic that did something really stupid.

Fortis and others - I hope that this helps. I don't want to derail this thread anymore so if anyone has questions just message me and I'll start a thread in the appropriate section elsewhere on here.

You are a braver man than I am, thanks for the feedback.

Well, I'm on both sides of the coin here. Here's my former Diablo VT Roadster hitting 70K miles with my exgf coming back from a club. I had the typical design flaw problem of the headers and after I replaced them the car was rock solid reliable....the gf....not so much lol. Sure, I burned through GFA's but I attribute that to early module designs.

20140831_020341.jpg

20140831_020441.jpg

Now, here's my Murcielago Roadster bought with 10k miles and just as I hit 18k, the egear stopped working correctly. After going through the whole car, 50 hours of labor later, they found some frayed wires inside the harness. This sent errant signals and burned out the ABS module. We're in the process of having it repaired to make sure where the signal originated from so we can back trace and make sure this doesn't happen again. I have NEVER had such stupid electronic issues with the older cars. The car is still out going on 2 months now. Poor Gabe and JeffLambo have been going crazy trying to sort this one out. They actually had to remove a good portion of the harness just to test every single plug and connector.

...and I do not have a bottom feeder Murci. I bought this one over a few LP640's Roy found because I know the full history on this car and it's the best condition Murcie Roadster out there.

I don't think there's anything wrong with high miles. It's the overcomplicated electronics that breakdown over time that's the main cause of the problems. Sure an Aventator is great now....how about when it's 10 years old?

20160726_190529_1469574510788.jpg

20160726_190558_1469574510437.jpg

20160726_190456_1469574510509.jpg

....at least I won a Platinum and Best In Show with the Murcielago at the Celebration Exotic Car Festival lol

Tell us more about the state of those wires, is that how you found them? has someone else had a go at them prior to you owning the car?

• 2 weeks later...
We have the Yellow 6 speed that was totaled recently in LA...insurance paid out over $300K if I recall correctly.

Was this car fixable or was it real bad?

Was this car fixable or was it real bad?

It was orange. It has been purchased by someone with the intent to fix it but it will be a tough one to put back together.