166 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you support?

• Hillary Clinton
    • Donald Trump
    • Gary Johnson
    • Jill Stein

Person in the pub last night: "omg have you seen what trump has done now?"

Me = "

I always find it interesting how the people of the UK seem to follow American politics as closely as their own. Reading the UK news publications, one would think they consider America their own country.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always find it interesting how the people of the UK seem to follow American politics as closely as their own.

That's not exclusive to the UK. What goes on in the US affects most of the world for better or worse, so it's no mystery most countries are paying attention.

I always find it interesting how the people of the UK seem to follow American politics as closely as their own. Reading the UK news publications, one would think they consider America their own country.

Shut up wheels.

Trump Synonym safety = fear. Continual attacks on media. Very Orwellian.

What's the over/under on how long Sean Spicer will last as press secretary? Is English his first language? I love watching him, grim comedy gold. Got that Chris Farley/Matt Foley feeling.

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/vid...er/n10432?snl=1

Trump (and this is from a Republican commentator, not me) has spent more time criticizing Nordstrom than Russia.

The delay in the ruling from the 9th circuit, indicates to me there will be probably be split ruling on the Muslin ban. I don't agree with it, but it's within the President's wheelhouse if he can show some sort of threat. Pretty low bar when Iran is on the list. Using Obama's list was clever cover which was developed and never instituted for a completely different purpose. This is purely for domestic consumption - if he was really serious UAE, Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Pakistan would be on the list.

Everybody happy about Devos?

Everybody happy about Devos?

Nope. I should just take it at face value but i'm wondering if there isn't more to this. I feel like this is preceding a massive restructuring of the entire gov't education dept, which very well may not include a Sec. of Education position.

Regardless, if they can turn the US public education system around and actually make it function again, it would be awesome. I love the idea of the voucher system and parents having more options for charter or private schools. In a lot of this country the public education system just flat out doesn't work, and something needs to change drastically. My divining rod is tuned specifically to the reaction of the unions, the more they scream and piss themselves, the more confident I become that we're headed in the right direction.

Nope. I should just take it at face value but i'm wondering if there isn't more to this. I feel like this is preceding a massive restructuring of the entire gov't education dept, which very well may not include a Sec. of Education position.

Regardless, if they can turn the US public education system around and actually make it function again, it would be awesome. I love the idea of the voucher system and parents having more options for charter or private schools. In a lot of this country the public education system just flat out doesn't work, and something needs to change drastically. My divining rod is tuned specifically to the reaction of the unions, the more they scream and piss themselves, the more confident I become that we're headed in the right direction.

There are a lot of shit public, charter and private schools. I don't see blowing up the system and I guess deregulating makes any of them better. Oversight and reform - yes, which would mean taking the unions to task. Devos isn't qualified to handle either brief - maybe an ice cream social for reader of the month at a private school.

Devos isn't qualified to handle either brief - maybe an ice cream social for reader of the month at a private school.

I agree, I can't come up with any kind of satisfactory conclusion. It's silly to expect we'll all like everything any president does, we'll just have to see how it plays out big picture. In the grand scheme of things I like his direction and the speed at which objectives are being tackled. Rest assured we're better off than with the alternative.

Truth be told most people reading this are more likely to have their kids at Harvard Westlake than anywhere in the LAUSD, so the deregulation might be a negative from this side of the fence.

I agree, I can't come up with any kind of satisfactory conclusion.

Then don't nominate her, I am sure Trump can find somebody "tremendous" that at least has a background in education or a basic understanding of the issues. I don't understand this lock-step mentality. Session's is a stretch, Devos (and Carson for HUD) are patently unqualified.

My kids attend a very good small public school (not LAUSD which has massive problems) and candidly I would prefer them to grow up in the real world rather than somewhere like Harvard Westlake et AL. Too many parents equate parking their kids in a good school, with getting a great education.

Why is sessions a stretch? It would be nice if they let the guy get his cabinet together and give him a little time to get things done before trashing his every word and move. The rabid lib meltdown is entertaining though.

Why is sessions a stretch?

Saint Reagan couldn't get him nominated as a Federal Judge 30 years ago. Republicans controlled the committee at the time and he was denied 10 - 8. Never made it to a Senate vote. The main reason Sessions is up for AG is, he was literally the first Republican willing to stick his head up Trump's ass.

Unsubstantiated claims of racism from the likes of Ted Kennedy 30 years ago is not a very good argument.

Unsubstantiated claims of racism from the likes of Ted Kennedy 30 years ago is not a very good argument.

Well enough for a Republican committee to pass on him...

Teddy was up for AG?

It's not. Don't equate confirmed with qualified.

[/

If holder and lynch set the bar I would say he is over qualified. The people have spoken, they want a different path.

Losing the popular vote by 3 million (or winning the electoral college by a razor thin 70k) is hardly an indication the people have spoken. I agree Lynch's judgement is just as troubling as Sessions.

Losing the popular vote by 3 million (or the electoral college by a razor thin 70k) is hardly an indication the people have spoken. I agree Lynch's judgement is just as troubling as Sessions.

Ha, is that with or without the millions of illegal votes? Hopefully with an administration that actually cares about the country they get some decent voter id laws in place.

There are a lot of shit public, charter and private schools. I don't see blowing up the system and I guess deregulating makes any of them better. Oversight and reform - yes, which would mean taking the unions to task. Devos isn't qualified to handle either brief - maybe an ice cream social for reader of the month at a private school.

She is against federal government power in education, which unto itself makes her better probably than anyone the Democrats would want. Also I do not see limiting the federal government's role in education as blowing up the system. I also don't really see how anyone could "take the unions to task" with education. They are too powerful. What is needed is a way to just pull the rug out completely from under them and remove their power altogether.

Saint Reagan couldn't get him nominated as a Federal Judge 30 years ago. Republicans controlled the committee at the time and he was denied 10 - 8. Never made it to a Senate vote. The main reason Sessions is up for AG is, he was literally the first Republican willing to stick his head up Trump's ass.

That was a very different world politically then. The GOP was less conservative then and the Democrats at the time had still, overall, had control of the legislature for decades (they lost it in 1994 to the shock of many).

That was a very different world politically then. The GOP was less conservative then and the Democrats at the time had still, overall, had control of the legislature for decades (they lost it in 1994 to the shock of many).

Yes, it was very different. Sessions couldn't get nominated out of a REPUBLICAN controlled committee for a Federal Judge appointment 30 years ago.

Ha, is that with or without the millions of illegal votes? Hopefully with an administration that actually cares about the country they get some decent voter id laws in place.

Not sure if you are kidding. Though if you actually believe there were million(s) of illegal votes cast, I have a bridge I would like to sell you. It's red, in No Cal.

She is against federal government power in education, which unto itself makes her better probably than anyone the Democrats would want. Also I do not see limiting the federal government's role in education as blowing up the system. I also don't really see how anyone could "take the unions to task" with education. They are too powerful. What is needed is a way to just pull the rug out completely from under them and remove their power altogether.

She is a wealthy donor, nothing more. Plenty of Republicans think she is utterly unqualified. Should have given her an Ambassadorship to Australia instead.

Yes, it was very different. Sessions couldn't get nominated out of a REPUBLICAN controlled committee for a Federal Judge appointment 30 years ago.

I don't know what the exact makeup of the legislature was then, but perhaps the Republican committee thought that there was a good chance he'd never make it with the strength of the Democrats throughout the rest of the chambers. But also you said the vote was 10-8, which was pretty close.

I guess things change, like Chucky and the rest of the hipocrites that confirmed Gorsuch in 2006 now think he is unqualified? Can't wait for Maxine Waters to start impeachment proceedings.