• Hillary Clinton
    • Donald Trump
    • Gary Johnson
    • Jill Stein

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the majority of the government spending, pork and fat!

Well I don't know about that. The vast majority of it is Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, and defense. A lot of each of those has waste, abuse, and corruption that is akin (to use a term Roman once used) to the marbling in a steak, i.e. it's webbed throughout the system and impossible to get rid of. But in terms of big hunks of fat that can be easily cut off, I do not know if there is much of that in the system.

Well I don't know about that. The vast majority of it is Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, and defense.

Add interest on the national debt to that.

post-13077-1485921596_thumb.png

Damn @ that social security bill, get them freaking working! LOL

Well the funny thing about Social Security is that originally, the idea was that most people would die before they'd be eligible to get on it. The starting age for receiving it was originally 65, and the life expectancy at the time was around 64 I think. Today the life expectancy is in the 70s, so they had raised it to I think 68. Technically-speaking, SS was supposed to be a system that you pay into and then get paid back out what you paid in, but that is a sham, in reality those paying in now are paying for those receiving benefits. This used to not be a problem, except that the government robbed SS a good deal and also there aren't enough people to keep paying for everyone now. It used to be multiple people to pay for every one recipient, now it's getting to one person for multiple recipients.

A huge problem will be if healthcare improves to the point that old people start living into the 90s and 100s regularly.

I'm blown away with the interest we pay.

And Thats at near 0% interest rates... WAIT til they go up...

(which, btw, is a reason to think they WONT go up and to invest accordingly... CBs will talk about raising them, because they have to to keep markets on their toes... But ANY attempt to raise them will create a world wide crisis.... That will cause them to come back down either intentionally, or by their own gravity. Even raising them a pt or two would be unsustainable.)

Terrible analogies... Hostage negotiators negotiate from a position of weakness. They have to. The hostage taker holds all the cards. The strategy is "tell him whatever he wants to hear/ give him whatever he wants" that prevents him from killing ALL of the hostages. Which is the position the negotiator goes in with... Getting ONE hostage out alive is a win, because for all intents and purposes, they've entered Schrodingers box. They're all dead, even though some may still be alive for the time being... Saving ANY is a victory.

Thats NOT the situation here. AMERICA is the hostage taker, in terms of that analogy... WE HOLD ALL THE CARDS... Mexico needs US far more than we need them, and any trade war (or any other kind of fight for that matter) THEY fcuking LOSE. Like it or not, we are still the big dog on the block... And we've elected the guy who is the equivalent to taking off the leash. Don't fcuking piss us off any more. Cause we're tired of it.

I asked a question of Pshiko earlier... And I havent gotten an answer... Maybe youd like a swing at it? (its easy to find... Im the guy with the dog avatar and Ive got very few comments in this thread.)

Terrible analogy?

I´m sure you know the concept that is called the " paradox of power".

You overuse your power and people will slowly start pissing in your soup anyway they can(most of the time you won´t even notice until it´s too late).

Go and fcuk over you worker for the overtime that he worked by not not paying him. How often you gonna get away with it before he is gonna quit on you, after he deliberately fucks up the work he does?

It works the same way in politics and between nations.

And in regards to morals what I was trying to say is that this kind of sentiment creates a "we" and "us" view across the world. It divides and radicalizies.

And can I assume, since this has been the stance of the democrat party since 1928 and the left since MARX, that Pashiko and the rest on the liberal side of the forum who won't answer me, agree with this as well?

Atleast to some extent, yes.

WHY DOESN'T MEXICO HAVE THE SAME OBLIGATION WITH REGARD TO ITS POOR PEOPLE???

Mexico's welfare system is "send them to the U.S. and let them struggle there." (or, collect from the same American welfare/education systems that American taxpayers already pay for).

Under what theory or justification is the Mexican taxpayer absolved from this burden to care for HIS fellow citizens?

And don't tell me there aren't rich tax payers in mexico... One of the richest men in the world is Mexican- Carlos Slim.... Mexico city has a metric crap ton of RICH people. They have as much coastline as the U.S. and its a tourism haven! THEY CAN AFFORD TO CARE FOR THEIR OWN!!!!

So its really just a matter of Mexico not wanting to do it? And GUILTING American liberals into thinking somehow its OUR obligation to do it for them!

Christ! What a fantastic IDEA!!!!

The U.S. should adopt the same welfare system!!! We can round up all of the dregs on skid row, all the poor Apalchians, empty all the inner city projects, and put them all on buses to Vancouver and let the Canadian tax payer and economy provide for them!!!!

We can call it "The War on Poverty (via I-5 and greyhound)".

I don´t know how your welfare system works so I can´t really comment.

We had to evolve the way we evolved as a species to get to a certain point of advancement.

The fittest/strongest/smartest/richest survives had to be the law of nature and society(capitalism) until we as a species and as societies can/could overcome that very law thanks to enough technological advancement thanks to that very law.

We are close to that point now(atleast in some regions of the world) were we can render our old ways obsolete. Trump is a relict of that old world gasping for it´s last breaths.

If science is correct in less than a 100 years robots will do all the work and people will have whatever they want without doing anything and this kind of talk will be gone(unless we catapult ourselves to the stoneage through nuclear warfare :icon_mrgreen: ).

..... in reality those paying in now are paying for those receiving benefits. This used to not be a problem, except that the government robbed SS a good deal and also there aren't enough people to keep paying for everyone now. It used to be multiple people to pay for every one recipient, now it's getting to one person for multiple recipients.

I have always thought that the pension and social security systems in our country ( and possibly yours) are nothing but a giant pyramid or ponzi scheme.

It sounds great in theory but depends on an ever increasing level of new comers to fund the existing ones.

The issue is that as the "boomer" generation begins to retire en mass, the pyramid will become cylindrical and then ultimately inverted.

My fear is that it will lead to the complete failure of the entire system as those who depend face severe economic hardship.

Terrible analogy?

I´m sure you know the concept that is called the " paradox of power".

You overuse your power and people will slowly start pissing in your soup anyway they can(most of the time you won´t even notice until it´s too late).

Go and fcuk over you worker for the overtime that he worked by not not paying him. How often you gonna get away with it before he is gonna quit on you, after he deliberately fucks up the work he does?

It works the same way in politics and between nations.

And in regards to morals what I was trying to say is that this kind of sentiment creates a "we" and "us" view across the world. It divides and radicalizies.

Atleast to some extent, yes.

I don´t know how your welfare system works so I can´t really comment.

We had to evolve the way we evolved as a species to get to a certain point of advancement.

The fittest/strongest/smartest/richest survives had to be the law of nature and society(capitalism) until we as a species and as societies can/could overcome that very law thanks to enough technological advancement thanks to that very law.

We are close to that point now(atleast in some regions of the world) were we can render our old ways obsolete. Trump is a relict of that old world gasping for it´s last breaths.

If science is correct in less than a 100 years robots will do all the work and people will have whatever they want without doing anything and this kind of talk will be gone(unless we catapult ourselves to the stoneage through nuclear warfare :icon_mrgreen: ).

Yes... Still a terrible analogy.

Mexico has been pissing in our soup for fifty years now. Thats the point. We're tired of it and are putting an end to it.

WE ARE THE ONES WHO ARE LASHING BACK AFTER MEXICO ABUSING US. See how that works? It goes two ways... SO fcuk THEM. WALL!

Im sorry... But there has been a "we and us" mentality world wide since the end of World War 2....

Trump is a relict of that old world gasping for it´s last breaths.

Nah. 32 here, my brothers younger than me and all my friends and family that voted Trump don't see it as a relic of an old world. We simply Want an American made future built on nationalism instead of globalism.

I hope Austria opens its borders and you guys letting every single person you please and I hope the future for your country is just as bright as you hope it will be. For us here we loudly rejected the call and I'm very pleased for the future I see being built.

Nah. 32 here, my brothers younger than me and all my friends and family that voted Trump don't see it as a relic of an old world. We simply Want an American made future built on nationalism instead of globalism.

I hope Austria opens its borders and you guys letting every single person you please and I hope the future for your country is just as bright as you hope it will be. For us here we loudly rejected the call and I'm very pleased for the future I see being built.

Amen

:icon_thumleft:

I'm 36 and feel the same way. Not at all a relic, finally putting our collective foot down and telling everyone else they can fcuk right off if they don't like it. We're running the country the way EVERY SINGLE PERSON runs their lives, looking out for yourself and your family first. If/when you have the ability to help others then awesome, but you sure as fcuk aren't skipping mortgage payments to make charitable donations.

We need to get our own house back in order, and truthfully, much like a spoiled kid, when booted out on their own and left to their own devices, hopefully these other countries will get their shit together as well. If not they will fail and that is ok, it's the way things fix themselves.

Trump is a relict of that old world gasping for it´s last breaths.

This is a view that many seem to hold without really giving it much thought IMO. It's kind of like the saying, "the wrong side of history." What exactly does that mean? Nothing really. There is no "wrong" side of history. History is just history. Also look at how you phrase it: "old world gasping for its last breaths." In other words, you make it sound as if there is some special invisible force that is moving the world towards globalization, lack of borders, etc...and that Trump is some old dinosaur who is trying to stop this inevitable force. But the reality is that no such force exists.

Reminds me of when then-Secretary of State John Kerry said on "Face the Nation" in 2014 about Russia's invasion of Crimea: ""You just don't in the 21st century behave in 19th century fashion by invading another country on completely trumped up pre-text." So to him, Putin is some dinosaur who is "behaving wrongly" for the 21st century. I mean really? By what law of nature is Putin behaving in a "19th century fashion?" There is no law that says that now that it is the 21st century, that countries are to naturally behave in a different fashion.

Just wondering about the Austria reference...? Also good post :icon_thumleft:

We're running the country the way EVERY SINGLE PERSON runs their lives, looking out for yourself and your family first. If/when you have the ability to help others then awesome, but you sure as fcuk aren't skipping mortgage payments to make charitable donations.

This is a profound statement.

I know some people who piss me off in my personal life for their general selfishness towards THEIR life and needs, not having time for everyone....and that's cool, I get it.

But then they shove down the "help everyone, everything, save the world" BS simultaneously and you just shake your head.

They have no clue the hypocrisy in that.

I am notably younger than that and also voted for him.

I'm 36 and feel the same way. Not at all a relic, finally putting our collective foot down and telling everyone else they can fcuk right off if they don't like it. We're running the country the way EVERY SINGLE PERSON runs their lives, looking out for yourself and your family first. If/when you have the ability to help others then awesome, but you sure as fcuk aren't skipping mortgage payments to make charitable donations.

We need to get our own house back in order, and truthfully, much like a spoiled kid, when booted out on their own and left to their own devices, hopefully these other countries will get their shit together as well. If not they will fail and that is ok, it's the way things fix themselves.

Halleluyah!

Fortis, what are the reports in Australia about the call with Trump about taking some refugees that Obama agreed to take? Here they are reporting that it was an argument with Trump but haven't seen details.

I am deeply skeptical of a lot of Trump's nominees - DeVos, Sessions, Pruitt - top of mind. Initially Tillerson too. Having done some research on him, my opinion has changed.

I thought Tillerson hit it out of the park this morning with his speech. Hopefully, he and Mattis can be a counter balance to hair trigger Flynn and that racist nut Bannon.

Meanwhile Treasury dept. is rolling back sanctions on FSB. Happy about that? I wonder if State was notified first....

Yesterday Trump went to privately visit the family of the dead seal from the recent raid in Yemen. Which is great, however, the narcist couldn't help tooting his own horn at the prime time swearing in of Tillerson last night. At the prayer breakfast, Trump brings up the declining ratings of the Apprentice. Insulting Australia...really? This behauvior is not normal.

Out of curiousity, where, besides in accusation only in the MSM's witch hunt, have you ever seen Bannon do or say anything Racist????

I cant find one shred of evidence, and literally cant stand people throwing that title out based on no facts.