My exp with Exploding Head/Insomnia

TestShoot

This is pretty common, but hard to treat, maybe someone else has experienced this?

EHS is noted by having loud sounds or pains like your head will explode just as you fall asleep or wake up. I have been suffering with this lately and briefly in the past. I usually get a good night's sleep, and would be borderline narcoleptic if I am not active. In the past I was known to stay awake for 30+ hours at a time (not out of choice), and then crash hard after or linger a bit in a zombie-like state. I don't have apnea, I snore, but no apnea. I don't get stressed, I let it all roll right off me. I have had a concussion or many, we never got tested for that stuff when we grew up, you just "bumped your head".

Typical experience:

I go to bed, as normal, on an otherwise normal night. Is I fall asleep when suddenly I hear the sound of something hitting the wall behind my headboard. This is really scary because my neighbor's driveway is steep, and he could launch himself into my house, right on top of my bed. Well, theoretically, there is a huge Eucalyptus and concrete railings, but still...

Other nights I hear someone saying my name, firmly but loudly like they are in my face getting my attention and I have spaced out.

I also hear the sounds of things being dropped on my deck, or outside my window. Once I thought I was being robbed so I grabbed my gun.

Every time I wake up, I am vibrant and alert.

Weird.

This is pretty common, but hard to treat, maybe someone else has experienced this?

EHS is noted by having loud sounds or pains like your head will explode just as you fall asleep or wake up. I have been suffering with this lately and briefly in the past. I usually get a good night's sleep, and would be borderline narcoleptic if I am not active. In the past I was known to stay awake for 30+ hours at a time (not out of choice), and then crash hard after or linger a bit in a zombie-like state. I don't have apnea, I snore, but no apnea. I don't get stressed, I let it all roll right off me. I have had a concussion or many, we never got tested for that stuff when we grew up, you just "bumped your head".

Typical experience:

I go to bed, as normal, on an otherwise normal night. Is I fall asleep when suddenly I hear the sound of something hitting the wall behind my headboard. This is really scary because my neighbor's driveway is steep, and he could launch himself into my house, right on top of my bed. Well, theoretically, there is a huge Eucalyptus and concrete railings, but still...

Other nights I hear someone saying my name, firmly but loudly like they are in my face getting my attention and I have spaced out.

I also hear the sounds of things being dropped on my deck, or outside my window. Once I thought I was being robbed so I grabbed my gun.

Weird.

Do you take any prescription drugs?

Do you take any prescription drugs?

nope, no recreational drugs either, little caffeine, do drink on the weekends, but never beyond a buzz.

I set my AC at 65, go to sleep freezing then wake up around 3 am sweating my ass off. I get up and check the temp and its fcuking 65! I've developed this problem over the last four months. No idea wtf is going on.

If you have had a "concussion or many," maybe go see a doctor?
i will be again soon. When i was younger i played rough, fell out of a 2nd story window and dented the hood of a 71 stang with my head, did muay thai in the late 80s in HS and had a few teeth busted, so concussions are very likely. Add in some car wrecks/rolls, getting clubbed with lacrosse sticks and cycling crashes.

Test shoot any history of mental illness in your family?

Nope

i will be again soon. When i was younger i played rough, fell out of a 2nd story window and dented the hood of a 71 stang with my head, did muay thai in the late 80s in HS and had a few teeth busted, so concussions are very likely. Add in some car wrecks/rolls, getting clubbed with lacrosse sticks and cycling crashes.

Nope

Yeah, I'd definitely see a doctor ASAP and make sure to tell them all about those things.

I have had this. It's terrifying. Mine was moreso due to lack of sleep from stress. I was going through one of the hardest times of my life and right before I fell asleep on multiple occasions, I would experience the exploding sound or gunshot like sound. The first few times were gunshot wounds. Even if you're not superstitious, hearing it so realistically to the point that you wake up will make you think about it all day, every day until it goes away. It happened to me more than three times. I hope you're able to get it addressed Tim. I would seek treatment and possibly look at sleep medications.

I set my AC at 65, go to sleep freezing then wake up around 3 am sweating my ass off. I get up and check the temp and its fcuking 65! I've developed this problem over the last four months. No idea wtf is going on.

That's weird me too. Started getting these night sweats about 6 months ago. Could be stress.

I have read Melatonin can give you wicked dreams that seem real for some people.

Typical experience:

Weird.

Hmmm Ill often hear a gunshot as I fall asleep... I kindof wake up and determine if it was real or not and say "fcuk it"... and go to sleep... Didnt know it was a thing... Still not sure I care.

I have had this. It's terrifying. Mine was moreso due to lack of sleep from stress. I was going through one of the hardest times of my life and right before I fell asleep on multiple occasions, I would experience the exploding sound or gunshot like sound. The first few times were gunshot wounds. Even if you're not superstitious, hearing it so realistically to the point that you wake up will make you think about it all day, every day until it goes away. It happened to me more than three times. I hope you're able to get it addressed Tim. I would seek treatment and possibly look at sleep medications.

Damn. Did you eventually stop having these events?

You sound exactly like me on this night sweat thing. After about 6 months of suffering with on & off flu like symptoms, nausea & terrible night sweats, back and forth to the doctor every couple weeks doing various tests, I finally realized my body had developed a physical dependence to Ativan (a benzo). Over a year ago my doc had Rx me very low dose Ativan to "take as needed" for a bit of a sleeping problem I had on occasion due to some work issues mulling around in my head at night. After reading on line about this stuff I discovered the problem with going on and off of this med is that my body became dependent on it and when I would not take it, I would become physically ill as mentioned above. I won't go into detail how sick i was while trying to permanently get off of this medicine and now that I have been off for about 3 months I still have some physical problems (mainly 3pm big time night sweats).

I am only mentioning this to potentially help others who may feel ill and they don't know why, to be sure to look at any meds you may be taking (no matter how small the dose). I saw this mention of night sweats which made me think of my situation. In my opinion Benzos should be avoided at all costs, and used "only" as a last resort, and if needed then the potential consequences of physical dependence and long term harm thoroughly explained by the physician. For those interested, just go to the Benzobuddies.com forum and see how many thousands of people are now suffering from these medicines. Most docs don't even realize how bad this situation is. It does not even depend on the dose size, as I was taking minuscule amounts on and off. Beware!

3pm nights sweats?

Sorry, I meant 3am, but I lost my edit mode timeline to correct it. Plus, my bad, the Benzobuddies is .org and not .com as I had indicated. Maybe this link below works for that website. Was a lifesaver for me in discovering why I was so ill: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php

As you can see if you look at some of that website, most are just ordinary people that got caught up in small doses then their body became physically dependent & now suffering greatly...not what many would think, like "addicts". Anyway, just sharing.