What the fuck is going on with our navy?

abolfaz

Another navy vessel collides with a ship. I own cargo ships, I know how diligent my officers are when the ships are at sea and we only have ten crew members on board and only four officers. The navy ships have dozens of officers on the bridge alone at all times as well as military grade state of the art electronics. wtf is going on??

bizarre how this can keep happening... these are our warships and they are getting taken out by cargo ships....

I'll pitch in. I have no idea why this is becoming a constant occurrence. It completely saddens me. I used to be stationed on a ship and realize how easily this could have happened to us. This comes down to human error, once again. We have many, MANY systems to avoid incidents like these, but they still happen. Complacency kills.

Standby for speculation that all us navy vessels are arrrogant and determined that everyone will move for them and that we are extraordinarily exposed to terrorist attacks at sea, sinking megamillion aegis ships with crappy cargo vessels. Insert "I'm the captain now" pic here.

Something is something shady honestly, with technology these days it should be able to detect close proximity of another vessel and shut off the engines or throw an alarm of some sort.

Something is something shady honestly, with technology these days it should be able to detect close proximity of another vessel and shut off the engines or throw an alarm of some sort.

It doesn't work like that. Human error. Plain and simple.

It doesn't work like that. Human error. Plain and simple.

No, it does work like that. There are proximity alarms you can set on your radars as well as ais monitoring. Not to mention a bridge full of officers and seamen. There is no excuse.

No, it does work like that. There are proximity alarms you can set on your radars as well as ais monitoring. Not to mention a bridge full of officers and seamen. There is no excuse.

Well, I was talking about the shutting off of engines. That will never just happen automatically. I've been in the Navy for 8 years Albofaz. I know. You have all sorts of warnings.

And you don't have dozens of officers on the bridge of a destroyer. Maybe a handful at one time and half a dozen seamen, each with the job of making sure you don't collide with anything. I did take shipboard navigation classes aboard the USS Nimitz.

Just got word that the McCain had a loss of steering prior to the incident but steering was restored before impact. Regardless, there had to have been room for the collision to be averted.

Can you detect an oil tanker?

No.

Can you detect a submarine?

Also no.

Can you detect an icbm?

Weeeeeellll?

Collisions happen, people get complacent, it doesn't reflect the ability of the Navy to perform as a whole.

As for submarines, trust me when I say this, WE KNOW WHO IS IN OUR WATERS or who is following us. We have microphones located all over the world's oceans and can hear what is going on at all times as well. We have many other systems. So when a Russian sub surfaces in our waters, we know they are there. We do it to plenty of other countries all the time. If you're not familiar, look up the Glomar Explorer and how we figured out a Russian sub had sunk.

ICBM are another story but are detectable without a doubt.

If the destroyer didn't have officers on the bridge...

Not possible. Officers must be on the bridge while the vessel is underway. Furthermore, there are safety systems in the bridge, namely BNWAS, who's sole function is to make sure someone's in the bridge and is awake.

Smaller ship should always give way, maybe these military sailors are too cocky?

No, not at all. There are rules of the road while at sea that are clear cut. The military vessel is highly maneuverable and fast while the other ship is slow and takes miles to stop and maneuver.

We have to wait and see the other vessels ais track to see what's happened.

I agree with Doc K that there are no systemic problems with the Navy as the thread title asks/implies. The big ocean, little boat theory just doesn't always work and people make mistakes. Civilian shipping in no way has their shit suitcased, whereas somehow, the military doesn't.

Smaller ship should always give way, maybe these military sailors are too cocky?

That would be a subplot for a movie. The people who do this for a living aren't like that.

The latest is that the Navy will now investigate possible hacking of both destroyers' navigation systems.

The latest is that the Navy will now investigate possible hacking of both destroyers' navigation systems.

Bullshit. Vessels always have lookouts.

Bullshit. Vessels always have lookouts.

Yep! Forward and aft, in the case of a Destroyer. Now ten men are dead because of someone's fcuk up.

Yep! Forward and aft, in the case of a Destroyer. Now ten men are dead because of someone's fcuk up.

Completely inexcusable. Heads should roll because of this, what are we up to now, 13 dead between both incidents?

Completely inexcusable. Heads should roll because of this, what are we up to now, 13 dead between both incidents?

I agree 100%. In situations like this, Skipper, XO, CMC are always fired and sent to a desk job, regardless of it they're at fault or not after something like this. Unfortunately, whoever was responsible will get a slap on the wrist after being responsible for the deaths of their fellow sailors.

17 dead with both collisions. This hits near and dear to my heart because I was was a sailor asleep in a berthing for 3 years. You always have it in the back of your head that something could happen, but you always trust those around you to take care of you and for those people to do their jobs so that this doesn't happen. You go to bed every night telling yourself you'll be safe.

Doc_K - when you say "fired" - you don't mean terminated from the Navy? You said they'd be sent to a desk job.

In my experience (corporate) when you're "fired" you are terminated from the company. When you are demoted you might go from being in a higher responsibility position to something lower ranked.

Are you saying whomever was in command will be demoted? So they still keep their benefits and will receive an honorable discharge, and still get paid - but will have the "shame" (an assumption on my part) of being demoted to a lower status job.

Do they keep their rank even if they are demoted?

If this happened because of hacking - what does that say about the security of military secrets, weapons, etc? If someone can hack into the controls of a war ship - what else is at risk?

Geez....