rolls suv

christiann

On 11/23/2018 at 10:16 AM, Destructo said:

Henry Ford would be proud! That looks sharp! I would be curious to see how it would change if the grill was blacked out as well, maybe too far, but it looks incredible.

I wouldn't turn my nose at driving either, the Bentley has its place, and rightfully so.

Agree blacking it out is a good idea. 

Cullinan frame and engine is same as Phantom - mine being a launch edition takes msrp 400k. 

URUS 260k Bentayga Speed will be over 300k which is now the only way to get a V12. 

Base Cullinan 325k IMO won't last long - find it hard to believe Cullinan costs less to build than the Phantom and the ride build quality is on par. 

• 1 month later...

I saw one today at the dealer , i have to eat my words, it is magnificent , pictures don't do it justice .

4 hours ago, LPDADDY said:

I saw one today at the dealer , i have to eat my words, it is magnificent , pictures don't do it justice .

It must be! Plans on getting one now?

4 hours ago, Destructo said:

It must be! Plans on getting one now?

Very tempting I have to say . I was thinking Urus , did not test drive the Cullinan yet , we shall see.

12 hours ago, LPDADDY said:

Very tempting I have to say . I was thinking Urus , did not test drive the Cullinan yet , we shall see.

I feel like both are on two opposite ends of the spectrum, but I don't think anyone can beat Rolls in the comfort game.

23 hours ago, Destructo said:

I feel like both are on two opposite ends of the spectrum, but I don't think anyone can beat Rolls in the comfort game.

Maybe alot of people will disagree..But I daily drove a new phantom 8 at one point and I don't think it was all that great.. The ride is smooth but the suspension doesn't handle bumps very well.. Im not good at writing reviews but I think this video sums up very well on how the RR feels to me in terms of driving: Fast forward to 15:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qpqc3v_CGfI
Alot of reviews said it was the best car ever made..It's the most comfortable car they've ever driven etc..But I was quite disappointed because my 90s Mercedes S class actually have a better ride than the 2018 Phantom 8. The engine is very smooth on a Rolls, be it the Ghost or the Phantom..but the ride quality on both of those cars aren't as good as what people make it out to be..maybe because most of them are forced to say good things since Rolls Royce lend them a car to do reviews or that they've never driven much luxury cars to compare with a Rolls Royce..or simply just bias towards the brand since it was suppose to be the best of the best.. I love Rolls Royce and its brand but having driven one for a long period of time now I don't think its as good as everyone make it to be. They claim its high tech and all but really..everything on a Rolls Royce is old..nothing new..its just new to Rolls Royce but its not new to the car world..a 5 year old Mercedes or Bmw is easily way more advance than the latest RR. In terms of technology, its only half of what the new 7 series is capable of..

Now, I haven't driven the Cullinan(I assume its pretty much just a raised version of a Phantom) but I first saw it during the launch here in Singapore followed by a closer look at the display unit in the showroom..I just don't understand the point of it other than building an SUV for the sake of fighting its rivals with Bentley's Bentayga and every other exotic brands going into the SUV market example Lamborghini, Ferrari etc.. The suicide doors won't work on a Cullinan.. On a ghost and Phantom the back doors are really heavy as it was meant to be open from the outside by the valets/chauffeur when you pull up at a hotel or fancy restaurant..But the design of having to push it open with your wrist from the inside is not easy as compared to pushing a door open with your elbow on a normal style door. The Cullinan is meant for family...I just don't see your kids opening the rear door with ease. It doesn't look good either. If you want a Rolls Royce. Buy the phantom to be driven around in or the wraith if you want to drive it yourself.

The Urus was a much better car to drive than a Bentayga aswell..Lambo did a great job with the Urus but its still not a proper SUV like the G63 and RR Vogue. If I wanted an SUV I would get a G63 or a Range Rover Vogue..

again these are just my 2 cents..

Lambo91, I actually concur to your findings.  I had and still have a number of Rolls and Bentleys over the years starting way back with the SZ series.  While the Phantom, the Ghost and now the Cullinan are better cars per se than those under British ownership (they better be with all the tech advancements), I am not sure if the ride or "feel" of the car are better.  I actually prefer the old "magic carpet ride" from the new.  Sure, the modern cars have much less body roll and are more rewarding to drive.  But if the preference is the ride quality, then there surely are better sedans and SUV's out there.  The latest Maybach, Mulsanne, the Range Rover and the latest G-Wagon just to name a few.  Or imagine driving a BMW M5 vs. an Alpina B5.  There are noticeable differences.

I have driven 2 Cullinan's for a total of 10 days in 2 different climate and continents.  Regrettably, I am not a fan.  It's way too big for most SE Asian countries; a chauffeur is likely the solution but that defeats the entire purpose.  It's not as comfortable as I thought it would be and that applies to both as driver and as passenger.  One either loves or hates its styling; there is no middle ground and personally I am not a fan.  Yes. it oozes opulence and class but then again I would not expect anything less.  Access to many of the controls are odd; just like the Phantom; they exist purely because they are "Rolls Royce" and nothing else although that's personal and subjective.  And while they may "look" the part, the tactile feel of the levers, switches and even the leather just cannot be compared to the Rolls of yesteryear's.  To be fair, yes, there is the environmental and weight-saving issues that the modern cars had to deal with; and for that, it falls short on the "feel".  Ultimately, this is; much like the Phantom; a statement car.  Its size and presence demand attention from others.  Unfortunately, it's more brute and daunting than class and elegance --- imagine the Terminator vs. James Bond.  That's not to denounce the modern cars but there is just something about the older cars that seems more majestic and grandeur whereas the modern cars only win on the physical presence.  Again, different strokes and neither is incorrect nor problematic.  One thing that I would say which is contrary to what a few had claimed: the Cullinan does not have the best OEM sound system for a vehicle.  Again, the manufacturer of the system is chosen primarily because of its uniqueness and scarcity.  The brand made its mark by manufacturing a passive pre-amp using the so-called finest quality materials such as silver wiring isolated by pure cotton shielding and done in point-to-point soldering by hand using silver solder.  Impressive by academic means by that does not necessarily translate into best sound (it's the matching of materials used that counts).  Yes, it's good or even great sounding (again, it better be) but it's definitely not the best.  A standard sound system by Meridian found in the full size Range Rover is far superior in terms of tonal balance, coherence and the vocals and instruments being properly sized.  Bluntly put, as far as the Cullinan's stereo goes, bragging rights, absolutely; the best, hardly.      

Cullinan is just to say F-you to other 4X4 users, i think that's pretty much where its purpose ends and not much else about it is important. 

My issue with range rover is that most people can't tell the difference between the cheapest and most expensive spec which is double the money, if you pay good money you should get something that stands out more than different wheels and a badge. Bentley Bentayga is dong the same with V8 and diesel, they may sell more cheaper ones but are devaluing the top end stuff and to me at least making it a lot less desirable. wish they would just pick one engine and stick with it! Quite frankly at the rate they depreciate fuel is the least of your worries, range of the tank is the only real consideration if you buy a reasonably new one. 

On 2/3/2019 at 5:40 PM, VCR said:

Lambo91, I actually concur to your findings.  I had and still have a number of Rolls and Bentleys over the years starting way back with the SZ series.  While the Phantom, the Ghost and now the Cullinan are better cars per se than those under British ownership (they better be with all the tech advancements), I am not sure if the ride or "feel" of the car are better.  I actually prefer the old "magic carpet ride" from the new.  Sure, the modern cars have much less body roll and are more rewarding to drive.  But if the preference is the ride quality, then there surely are better sedans and SUV's out there.  The latest Maybach, Mulsanne, the Range Rover and the latest G-Wagon just to name a few.  Or imagine driving a BMW M5 vs. an Alpina B5.  There are noticeable differences.

I have driven 2 Cullinan's for a total of 10 days in 2 different climate and continents.  Regrettably, I am not a fan.  It's way too big for most SE Asian countries; a chauffeur is likely the solution but that defeats the entire purpose.  It's not as comfortable as I thought it would be and that applies to both as driver and as passenger.  One either loves or hates its styling; there is no middle ground and personally I am not a fan.  Yes. it oozes opulence and class but then again I would not expect anything less.  Access to many of the controls are odd; just like the Phantom; they exist purely because they are "Rolls Royce" and nothing else although that's personal and subjective.  And while they may "look" the part, the tactile feel of the levers, switches and even the leather just cannot be compared to the Rolls of yesteryear's.  To be fair, yes, there is the environmental and weight-saving issues that the modern cars had to deal with; and for that, it falls short on the "feel".  Ultimately, this is; much like the Phantom; a statement car.  Its size and presence demand attention from others.  Unfortunately, it's more brute and daunting than class and elegance --- imagine the Terminator vs. James Bond.  That's not to denounce the modern cars but there is just something about the older cars that seems more majestic and grandeur whereas the modern cars only win on the physical presence.  Again, different strokes and neither is incorrect nor problematic.  One thing that I would say which is contrary to what a few had claimed: the Cullinan does not have the best OEM sound system for a vehicle.  Again, the manufacturer of the system is chosen primarily because of its uniqueness and scarcity.  The brand made its mark by manufacturing a passive pre-amp using the so-called finest quality materials such as silver wiring isolated by pure cotton shielding and done in point-to-point soldering by hand using silver solder.  Impressive by academic means by that does not necessarily translate into best sound (it's the matching of materials used that counts).  Yes, it's good or even great sounding (again, it better be) but it's definitely not the best.  A standard sound system by Meridian found in the full size Range Rover is far superior in terms of tonal balance, coherence and the vocals and instruments being properly sized.  Bluntly put, as far as the Cullinan's stereo goes, bragging rights, absolutely; the best, hardly.      

You write the most detailed yet easy to understand and to the point reviews I've seen anywhere. Thank you for sharing your experiences

On 2/3/2019 at 4:40 PM, VCR said:

Well I gave away my First Edition G slot and have not driven the Bentayga 20 miles since purchasing the Cullinan. Owned a bunch of full sized RR's and own a 2019 sport which is the worst electronic systems ever owned. Just trying to get it to work is an ordeal. 

Cullinan switches dials vents sills doors - I can't imagine anything else but all ears and the ones you mention don't get there not even close. 

The concierge OMG it's like having a Black AMEX card at your finger tips  - satellite positioning who else does this - will actually slow you down if it thinks the car can't handle the next bend and or auto selects gears ratios in nano time. The HUD camera adjust the ride as you drive. 

Cameras site lines HUD gorgeous steering wheel horn the lowering / raising of the hood ornament it's all craziness. 

Size -  rear wheel steering takes care of that and its comfort (huh) being 6'2 220 never been more comfortable and had passengers of all shapes and sizes stated it's the best seat they ever had on wheels. It's adjustments the massage seats never enjoyed better inside a car same goes with sounds. 

Owned a few G wagons - I love them but it's like sitting in a milk truck and drives like one too even the newest one which is better but still a milk truck. 

I am guessing you know quality of sound but the Cullnan makes no apologies especially to a BMW RR or G wagon - they did the R&D required to build something special. 

Being a non professional in the sound department take my systems as serious as any non pro and this thing is rock solid. Spent 24 months designing my home theater in what I believe is sound with d box perfection within a budget. I think the Cullinan as a sum is better than any other from every seat. 

It's not a car that states look at me - fact is everyone thinks it's a big SUV which is fine by me the less attention the more I can enjoy it.

First car ever owned routinely doing the speed limit and if I am late that's ok - it's a level of luxury that is beyond any car I have ever driven. 

Granted it's an expensive SUV but if there is something in it's league I have yet to see it. Had a deposit on the RR 2 door and even they realized in order to compete and actually sell 1000 units - they abandoned the project. 

Cullinan took years and years - did they get it right ... sales department speaks volumes (no pun intended)

On 2/3/2019 at 3:36 PM, Lambo91 said:

Maybe alot of people will disagree..But I daily drove a new phantom 8 at one point and I don't think it was all that great.. The ride is smooth but the suspension doesn't handle bumps very well.. Im not good at writing reviews but I think this video sums up very well on how the RR feels to me in terms of driving: Fast forward to 15:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qpqc3v_CGfI
Alot of reviews said it was the best car ever made..It's the most comfortable car they've ever driven etc..But I was quite disappointed because my 90s Mercedes S class actually have a better ride than the 2018 Phantom 8. The engine is very smooth on a Rolls, be it the Ghost or the Phantom..but the ride quality on both of those cars aren't as good as what people make it out to be..maybe because most of them are forced to say good things since Rolls Royce lend them a car to do reviews or that they've never driven much luxury cars to compare with a Rolls Royce..or simply just bias towards the brand since it was suppose to be the best of the best.. I love Rolls Royce and its brand but having driven one for a long period of time now I don't think its as good as everyone make it to be. They claim its high tech and all but really..everything on a Rolls Royce is old..nothing new..its just new to Rolls Royce but its not new to the car world..a 5 year old Mercedes or Bmw is easily way more advance than the latest RR. In terms of technology, its only half of what the new 7 series is capable of..

Now, I haven't driven the Cullinan(I assume its pretty much just a raised version of a Phantom) but I first saw it during the launch here in Singapore followed by a closer look at the display unit in the showroom..I just don't understand the point of it other than building an SUV for the sake of fighting its rivals with Bentley's Bentayga and every other exotic brands going into the SUV market example Lamborghini, Ferrari etc.. The suicide doors won't work on a Cullinan.. On a ghost and Phantom the back doors are really heavy as it was meant to be open from the outside by the valets/chauffeur when you pull up at a hotel or fancy restaurant..But the design of having to push it open with your wrist from the inside is not easy as compared to pushing a door open with your elbow on a normal style door. The Cullinan is meant for family...I just don't see your kids opening the rear door with ease. It doesn't look good either. If you want a Rolls Royce. Buy the phantom to be driven around in or the wraith if you want to drive it yourself.

The Urus was a much better car to drive than a Bentayga aswell..Lambo did a great job with the Urus but its still not a proper SUV like the G63 and RR Vogue. If I wanted an SUV I would get a G63 or a Range Rover Vogue..

again these are just my 2 cents..

All good stuff man, appreciate the input. Great insights as well, makes a lot of sense.

You'd really go with the G63 over an Urus, I'm not saying I woulnd't, the look of the Benz is classic, however the reported power of the Urus is appealing as well :lol2:

16 hours ago, jtrump said:

You write the most detailed yet easy to understand and to the point reviews I've seen anywhere. Thank you for sharing your experiences

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Destructo said:

All good stuff man, appreciate the input. Great insights as well, makes a lot of sense.

You'd really go with the G63 over an Urus, I'm not saying I woulnd't, the look of the Benz is classic, however the reported power of the Urus is appealing as well :lol2:

Most SUV’s on the market are good; they have to be in order to survive and succeed in this crowded market sector.

Keep in mind that both the G-Wagon and the Range Rover are the pioneers of the SUV’s.  Others just hop on the bandwagon.  Nothing wrong with that especially when competitions up the game.  But we should look back on the roots and both Mercedes and Land Rover didn’t do too shabby of a job reinventing the genre either.

The Cullinan exists for one single purpose only: to not miss out on the lucrative pie.  BMW/RR made the thing for a specific targeted group of people.  Those who rushed in to buy one fitted the profile precisely.  Whether that’s a good or bad thing is discretionary and subjective but it definitely highlights what they are.  And BMW/RR’s marketing research delivered but more so to themselves than to those who truly wants a truly classy SUV.  But then again, it’s entirely market share as far as the manufacturer is concerned.

The Urus also wants a piece of that profitable pie and they have the VAG/Audi’s support; albeit limited; to do it so why not?  Where Lamborghini differs is they likely needed a high volume model to finance their R&D on their more esoteric models; or the survival of the brand for that matter.  The SUV waters down the brand somewhat but if it’s a matter of the sustainability of the brand, then make it so.  We have seen how Porsche had done it with their Cayenne; even with the Panamera; and we can’t argue with success.

• 2 weeks later...

Tax advantage plays a part in SUV success.  

URUS Cayenne Bentayga lots of common parts like Panamera and Bentley GT but Bentley V12 sets them apart from it's like sisters which is now only available in the Speed. 

RR V12 performs on a whole new level - one thing I will give URUS are ceramics why RR doesn't install them on any of their cars makes no sense. 

The Cullinan takes some getting used to - transmission stalk is odd the doors almost require using the electric closers and putting people in the backseat isn't simple as they fumble for the door closer or grunt attempting to close by hand it's a far reach. 

At first it didn't receive the attention but now friends family strangers all want to know about the Phantom SUV and dealers are still charging over MSRP. The idea of a Phantom SUV that is 98% as good blows any other SUV out of the park. 

Rolls Royce house in Monterey was beyond insane - they shuttle customers around in a RR and offer rides the next day. I have not test driven a car before a purchase since I was 16 and denied their offer kicking myself all weekend. 

In Monterey was the first time I had even been in a Rolls and it was like Disney for adults. Fast forward a few months my dealer posted a Cullinan Demo in the morning and that afternoon found myself begging they sell me the car - it took some wiggling but taking it home was the best reward I have ever had. There is something about a Rolls that can not be explained. 

These kind of cars are rewards and being a car guy who loves cars - the Cullinan is beyond what I ever thought would be reality.