Lamborghini will no longer attend motor shows

sl55

The move was confirmed by chief marketing and communications officer Katia Bassi, who told Autocar India: “We decided to abandon the motor shows because we increasingly believe that to have an intimate relationship with the customer is key and motor shows are no longer aligned with our philosophy.”

It means the company's new Sián FKP 37 hypercar will likely be the last Lamborghini to be unwrapped at a public motor show. The striking 808bhp hybrid made its debut at the Frankfurt motor show in September 2019, following the launch of the new Huracán Evo Spyder in Paris and the Aventador SVJ Roadster in Geneva several months previously. 

Bassi told Autocar UK that Lamborghini will continue to run a “constant program of exclusive customer events”, including “unveils of exclusive new cars in special locations, exclusive tours and driving programmes for both customers and prospects, and lifestyle events where we can invite our clients, prospects and VIPs to join other like-minded people in appreciating many different aspects of the Lamborghini brand”. 

She added: “Lamborghini always proves a significant attraction at motor shows, for both our clients and followers, as well as the broader public in attendance.

“Motor shows in their traditional format have provided an opportunity for people to see new cars and technologies under one roof in a timely way, but influences such as the internet and social media have fundamentally changed that traditional motor show role. 

“Moreover, Lamborghini needs to consider its customers, who want exclusivity, personalisation and one-to one contact with our cars and our personnel.”

The Italian brand has yet to confirm when its first bespoke unveiling will take place, but a likely candidate is the 819bhp V12-powered, Aventador-based ‘SVR’ track car that has been previewed in a series of videos and images over the past few months. 

The cancellation of the Geneva motor show in March this year and its subsequent semi-official transition to a digital event prompted widespread speculation that motor shows could be on the verge of dying out altogether.

Lamborghini was one of several brands to confirm its non-attendance prior to the event’s cancellation.

Sant’#### will continue to reach out to its wider, non-customer fanbase with a new esports championship, partnerships with well-known clothing brands, a new app and its existing Super Trofeo and GT motorsport programmes. 

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/lamborghini-will-no-longer-attend-motor-shows

What a way to distance yourself from new potential customers. One would expect this news from Ferrari, not Lamborghini. 

I am one to normally sound the alarm, but this move doesn't surprise me and I don't necessarily think it's a terrible idea.

Motor Shows are such a large expense I'm sure this boils down to a cost-saving procedure with a spin on it to appear as some sort of targeted marketing scheme. 

At the end of the day, they are still going to do events and while the general public may not get as much exposure in the traditional sense, with social media and the plethora of cameras in everyday life, I think they'll weather this one just fine.

I get why, but I feel it's a real shame. I've been to GIMS every year since 2011 and I've seen cars like the Centenario, Veneno and special Ad Personam cars because of it. Cars of that caliber just do not make it to Sweden where I live, so I am out of luck now. Thanks Lambo !;) 

On 6/16/2020 at 9:18 AM, Luckydaff said:

I get why, but I feel it's a real shame. I've been to GIMS every year since 2011 and I've seen cars like the Centenario, Veneno and special Ad Personam cars because of it. Cars of that caliber just do not make it to Sweden where I live, so I am out of luck now. Thanks Lambo !;) 

I am with you on this. GIMS has been a pilgrimage for me too--too bad.

On 6/16/2020 at 7:52 AM, Destructo said:

I am one to normally sound the alarm, but this move doesn't surprise me and I don't necessarily think it's a terrible idea.

Motor Shows are such a large expense I'm sure this boils down to a cost-saving procedure with a spin on it to appear as some sort of targeted marketing scheme. 

At the end of the day, they are still going to do events and while the general public may not get as much exposure in the traditional sense, with social media and the plethora of cameras in everyday life, I think they'll weather this one just fine.

I too am not surprised but the rationale is somewhat shortsighted. How do you get the next generation connected other than paying a nominal fee to go see dream cars on display at say the NY International Autoshow or GIMS? It is definitely a delicate balancing act and increasingly, the cost of these show to manufacturers have made it hard to keep making the case for them to attend, so I get it. Post-COVID, its probably for the better anyway. 

Any indication about events like Quail and Pebble Concours?  I think its likely they'll still hold a private event during Monterey Car Week (2021) but is Quail exclusive enough for them? 

2 hours ago, falconsprint said:

Any indication about events like Quail and Pebble Concours?  I think its likely they'll still hold a private event during Monterey Car Week (2021) but is Quail exclusive enough for them? 

I believe Monterey Car Week and Goodwood are exactly the type of events they want to target. More exclusive and provide an offsite VIP experience that caters to future and current customers.

I assume they must have data to support their decision to drop auto shows, maybe the ROI wasn't there for them to continue with the bigger shows.

On 6/15/2020 at 2:04 PM, LamboCARS said:

Making it exclusive and out of reach for most people ... not sure if that's a good idea

Shows are expensive and don't have the ROI of dealer-hosted private events where you feel like a person and not just a drooling meatsack. If you want the attention for having a car or standing on the other side of the velvet rope in front of the commoners, that's on you. (not you specifically, obvs) It is not alienating from potential customers, it is knowing your customer. 

There are other brands that are everywhere, the lease queens with down-syndrome, a low down payment drives a mclaren off the lot right now like damned camry.

On 6/23/2020 at 4:54 PM, TestShoot said:

Shows are expensive and don't have the ROI of dealer-hosted private events where you feel like a person and not just a drooling meatsack. If you want the attention for having a car or standing on the other side of the velvet rope in front of the commoners, that's on you. (not you specifically, obvs) It is not alienating from potential customers, it is knowing your customer.

I totally understand the massive costs of those big shows ... but isn't that kid drooling behind the velvet rope a possible customer in the future?

Today it's all about Social Media influencers, they get invited to everything, and I get it, they have a large audience ... but 99.9% of their audience are the drooling meatsacks you mention, so what's the point?

I was fortunate enough to be able to visit the shows as a member of the press, so I did have access to all the stands ... but I still think it's a pity they won't be showing the new cars to the general public anymore ... there is no Reventon, no Veneno, no Centenario, no Sian in Belgium ... so without those shows I would never see any of these cars in real life, and even if one or two get sold in Belgium, many owners over here never drive these cars, so not even at events will you run into anything really special (apart from the yellow and black Centenario in the Netherlands).

I think the bigger, more important shows are still a massive exposure for makes like Lamborghini ... but sales are strong, so general public shows are no longer important it seems.

I have been able to visit nearly every IAA in Frankfurt, the Mondial de l'Automobile in Paris and the Geneva Motor Show since 2007 ... I loved it, hard work getting decent photos each time, but such an amazing experience each and every year ... so I'm sad this has come to an end, sorry.

10 hours ago, LamboCARS said:

massive exposure for makes like Lamborghini ... but sales are strong, so general public shows are no longer important it seems.

Doing things for "exposure" is pretty stupid. You are totally right, when sales dip next time, they will show up and maybe the shady-as-fk dealers will pay for booth time.

10 hours ago, LamboCARS said:

so without those shows I would never see any of these cars in real life

I'm not a doctor, but I think you'll live if you never see another exotic. I get more excited seeing a Z4M coupe, they made 2500 of those for the world, never see them.

• 2 months later...

The idea sounds worse than the reality I think, with the exception of Geneva.

In the states, for quite a number of years, Lamborghini and Ferrari were no shows at the NY Auto Show (consolation prize was Manhattan Motorcars had a booth right outside the main gate). I think maybe in the late '80s/early '90s they had a presence then by mid '90s to mid '00s were missing. Eventually they returned and then they all came (McLaren). 

Detroit I believe had exotics uninterrupted, with them being the center of the auto industry here obviously. LA I don't recall, but I believe they were slightly up over NY.

IMO, this was all a big deal in the good ole days pre-internet. Now with Cars and Coffee everywhere and the multitude of non corporate events, it's easier to see these cars. 

12 hours ago, Smash Boy said:

The idea sounds worse than the reality I think, with the exception of Geneva.

In the states, for quite a number of years, Lamborghini and Ferrari were no shows at the NY Auto Show (consolation prize was Manhattan Motorcars had a booth right outside the main gate). I think maybe in the late '80s/early '90s they had a presence then by mid '90s to mid '00s were missing. Eventually they returned and then they all came (McLaren). 

Detroit I believe had exotics uninterrupted, with them being the center of the auto industry here obviously. LA I don't recall, but I believe they were slightly up over NY.

IMO, this was all a big deal in the good ole days pre-internet. Now with Cars and Coffee everywhere and the multitude of non corporate events, it's easier to see these cars. 

Detroit actually lost exotics and even brands like Porsche in the past few years. Probably since 2012 or so. There was, like Manhattan Motorcars, the collection of dealers and some factory support doing a private expensive event nearby which was fine.