Park Place strikes again! Buyer beware!

Ray G

Park Place Ltd of Bellevue, WA has done it again. I just purchased a 91 Diablo from them and they have completeley screwed me over. I am going to do my best to keep this story brief:

1. I called them to inquire about buying the 91 Diablo they had for sale, spoke to the salesperson Barry and was told that the car was perfect. I asked to get the car inspected. Barry faxed me several receipts showing work done to the car including a full engine out service and clutch inspection in January of this year. He then said, "with all of those receipts what would you possibly need inspected? The car is perfect." This is where I was stupid, very stupid, I trusted him. :eusa_wall:

2. Arrainged to have my trades sent to them and finish the deal. (traded a Jalpa and a 911) At this time I asked Barry again, "Everything is perfect right? Nothing stupid like a dead battery or anything" He laughed and said "of course not, the car is perfect".

3. Transport company comes to pick up the car - guess what - dead battery. No problem I say, shit happens. In the process of putting in a new battery they break the latches that hold the hood closed. No problem I say, shit happens.

4. They send me the car with the broken hood latch pieces in a plastic cup in the passenger seat. meanwhile they have my trades which are perfect.

5. 12 days later the transport truck delivers the Diablo to me. I let the car run for a while to properly warm up. I hop in the car and release the Emergency brake. It won't release fully. Common problem with Diablo's, no problem, shit happens.

I slowly pull away and the check engine left light comes on. Now the steam is starting to come from my ears but hey you know what, shit happens. I drive the car very carefully for about 8 miles when I decide I'll give it a little gas. Sure enough I get to about 2800-3000 rpm's and nothing. Total clutch slippage and the car won't move. It will only move if I get on the gas very slowly and below 3000 rpm's. Now I am actually pissed which is quite an accomplishment. (Usually hard to do)

6. I dig through the receipts that Park Place gave me. They tried to white out the previous owners name and telephone number but I could still read it. I gave the previous owner a call and he said "yeah I knew the clutch was slipping" I call Park Place and tell them this and they are silent. I get a call today (two days later) and they are telling me that the car was perfect when it left their shop and there is nothing else they can do. They even tried to blame the shipping company. Now as I am talking to Chris Lowell at Park Place he then accuses me of sending him two cars that needed work and says "hey we're just trading headaches for headaches!" I asked him if my cars had problems why didn't they bring it up over a week ago when they got them. They even required me to have them inspected for them! Now suddenly they have problems! Why wasn't his mentioned before? He had no explanation for me.

7. When I started this transaction with them I mentioned that I had read bad things about them online but I believe everybody deserves a second chance, maybe it was an isolated incident, etc. They assured me that is was and they have excellent customer service.

8. I just can't believe that they are not even willing to make the slightest gesture to make me happy. I sell watches and when I sell something whether new or used I stand behind it. I pay for a ton of repairs regardless of whose fault it is just to keep my customers happy and coming back. Park Place doesn't seem to care.

Other than that it was a perfect transaction. :)

That is ridiculous! They should pay for repairs as it was a verbal commitment from them that the car was perfect. I would have the previous owner write a letter that states that he knew the car had a slipping clutch when he sold it to them if he had disclosed it to them. If they had full knowledge of it, and sold it to you as a perfect car, I think you would have a case for sure.

Sorry to hear... How come Roys name always pop up when someone gets screwed over with a Lambo ? :rolleyes:

Actually I have to say Roy has been quite helpful. I talked to him about the car before and he offered to help with the transaction. He even helped me find a good shipper. After I received the car I told him my problems and he gave me the cell phone number of the manager there. He had acknowleged in the beginning that the car was very clean but had not given it a full inspection yet.

I live near Park Place, and am less than impressed with them. I went in once to inspect a Gallardo that someone off of Ferrarichat was buying. It was set up with the salesperson, so I looked it over for an hour and a half and asked to do a paint depth check.

There was a manager (I think?) standing by me, who laughed and said "the depth check won't work" and kept making jokes about it. Well, salesguy brought out the correct depth checker for the car, and it worked perfect. Manager didn't say much after that, but just had a bad feeling from the place.

That, and the scrateches, dings on the car didn't match up with what the buyer had been told--of course he had been told "flawless paint and rims--they've never been rubbed." Uhhhh...right....

PPI! PPI! PPI! PPI! PPI!

:iamwithstupid:

I will be posting a story soon of a friend of mine who bought a Lambo from an "authorized" dealer and was also taken advantage of.. He also purchased site unseen..... Too much trash in this industry.

How do these people sleep at night?

:iamwithstupid:

How do these people sleep at night?

Its easy when you're sleeping on a mattress stuffed with money.

I am sorry this happened to you.

I am actually surprised with your experience that you trusted anybody in the exotic dealer arena.

Shit doesnt just happen. At least not like this.

Sounds like they fucked you over and had a good laugh.

Here's another tough one though. I called the Lambo dealer up there and asked them if they could inspect it and they started saying bad things about the car before they even took a look at it. I go the impression that they were going to trash the car regardless just becasue I wasn't buying from them. You can't win!

If a new clutch was in fact installed and then "glazed" before proper break in (by delivery driver) it will be 100% obvious to a trained naked eye as opposed to a old clutch that is worn out with a heat checked pressure plate that hasnt been replaced for years....

Make them provide proof clutch was 'replaced' and by what facility. Verify if you can, then remove clutch on video. If they purposefully lied to complete the fraudulent sale, the proof IS between the tranny and engine block!

Either way "needs nothing, is perfect" isnt "needs clutch NOW to even drive reliably!"

I personally would take it to the limit in a court. At this point you have nothing to lose. What else is JUNK you havent yet discovered? Is the 20K in repairs all nothing but lies A-Z? Maybe needs majors right now!

It would not be difficult to prove they commited theft by ommision of known facts, pay the previous owner to serve as witness out of pocket.

Offer to "allow them to pay for all return shipping and give your cars back, and theirs to them, before you sue the fcuk out of them" once you ducks are in a row.

Sorry for your woes. Buying a new toy should be a good experience from the get go. I really hope it all works out in your favor. Silver lining, you have a matching set of white lambos. Best of luck.

I go the impression that they were going to trash the car regardless just becasue I wasn't buying from them. You can't win!

I am sure you can get a good mechanic that is local to you to fly over and do a PPI on the car where ever its located. Even with you paying for his airfare, decent hotel and some pocket money, you would be WAY AHEAD! Or talk about the car on LP and I'm sure one of us would be close enough to take a look at the car. I can't believe a place like Park Place would behave like this.

If a new clutch was in fact installed and then "glazed" before proper break in (by delivery driver) it will be 100% obvious to a trained naked eye as opposed to a old clutch that is worn out with a heat checked pressure plate that hasnt been replaced for years....

Make them provide proof clutch was 'replaced' and by what facility. Verify if you can, then remove clutch on video. If they purposefully lied to complete the fraudulent sale, the proof IS between the tranny and engine block!

Either way "needs nothing, is perfect" isnt "needs clutch NOW to even drive reliably!"

I personally would take it to the limit in a court. At this point you have nothing to lose. What else is JUNK you havent yet discovered? Is the 20K in repairs all nothing but lies A-Z? Maybe needs majors right now!

It would not be difficult to prove they commited theft by ommision of known facts, pay the previous owner to serve as witness out of pocket.

Offer to "allow them to pay for all return shipping and give your cars back, and theirs to them, before you sue the fcuk out of them" once you ducks are in a row.

Good advice thank you. Lamborghini Boston is checking out the car right now. (Very nice people by the way)

• 2 years later...

I should have searched better before buying this car (I am the current owner) Looks like this car has had a lot of work done and it just had more!

Funny there was a certain "dealer" marketing that car on another site as "VERY, VERY NICE!", for more money than park place was!

He had acknowleged in the beginning that the car was very clean but had not given it a full inspection yet.

Is this standard? To sell cars without having checked them out but somehow be in a position to say its very very nice?

Yep, it's the one! Chad found lots of little issues during the repair. Whoever was into the engine last did some below standard work for sure. But at least I know about everything now and it should be running great very soon!

Wow, I met barry before.

Almost bought an m5 and m3 from him , Thanks for the heads up.

Alot of their cars are outta shape when I see them in person.