Only 12 RWD Diablos made in 96?

beachbummed

Fox Valley is listing a 96 Diablo here and touting it as only 1 of 12 produced. Is it because of the RWD? If so, and you can easily convert a VT or RWD by removing the front diff, what makes this one so special?

Im sure it works like most of the rest of the AWD cars. You cant just remove the front diff, the VC would burn up in a few hundred miles.

Im sure it works like most of the rest of the AWD cars. You cant just remove the front diff, the VC would burn up in a few hundred miles.

What else is done besides removing the front diff to convert to RWD? (I have no technical knowledge in this area at all.)

What else is done besides removing the front diff to convert to RWD? (I have no technical knowledge in this area at all.)

I'm no technician either, but I guess locking the VC somehow.

Fox Valley is listing a 96 Diablo here and touting it as only 1 of 12 produced. Is it because of the RWD? If so, and you can easily convert a VT or RWD by removing the front diff, what makes this one so special?

Its special, because it was factory.

If the front diff is gone, then the front half axles and front drive shaft are also gone and that is more than is needed to convert to 2WD.

-mick

Would it have different front hubs as well? Anyone converted a normal Diablo to a VT?

There is a black '96 or '97 normal Diablo getting around Sydney somewhere.

I have posted twice over the years on this board, requesting information about the unusual 96 2wd Diablo series. I know that Symbolic, has or had a dark blue 96 D car forsale.

Nobody seems to know the story behind these rare factory 2wd cars. From what I had read, the 96 2wd was offered forsale, as a less expensive alternative to the VT, before the SV was released. I also read that the 2wd "slick" post 93 Diablo, was offered as late as 1998, in other RoW markets.

There are some mechanical changes with the car. The 94 dash, is the most obvious cosmetic change, when comparing the car to the 2wd 91-93 series. I do know that Lamborghini USA, has a thin seperate shop manual, devoted just for the 96 series 2wd cars.

This car is also very special, on account of the hot silver exterior color. I hope the car is sold to an enthusiast. Bill is a fun guy to talk with, when negotiating a deal. No need to tell him stories, how you do not like the color, and that you really want a yellow 95VT. He cuts thru the b.s. immediately. :icon_thumleft:

I have posted twice over the years on this board, requesting information about the unusual 96 2wd Diablo series. I know that Symbolic, has or had a dark blue 96 D car forsale.

Nobody seems to know the story behind these rare factory 2wd cars. From what I had read, the 96 2wd was offered forsale, as a less expensive alternative to the VT, before the SV was released. I also read that the 2wd "slick" post 93 Diablo, was offered as late as 1998, in other RoW markets.

There are some mechanical changes with the car. The 94 dash, is the most obvious cosmetic change, when comparing the car to the 2wd 91-93 series. I do know that Lamborghini USA, has a thin seperate shop manual, devoted just for the 96 series 2wd cars.

This car is also very special, on account of the hot silver exterior color. I hope the car is sold to an enthusiast. Bill is a fun guy to talk with, when negotiating a deal. No need to tell him stories, how you do not like the color, and that you really want a yellow 95VT. He cuts thru the b.s. immediately. :icon_thumleft:

I remember reading somewhere a while ago now that the 2wd was offered right up to the MY99 and are rare because the SV was available as well, so most people wanting a 2wd went for the SV. Other upgrades are the bigger side air scoops, brembo brakes, revised front bar and engine bay like the VT. Also that the VTs and normal Diablos after a certain date have the same 510hp engine as the SV.

I remember reading somewhere a while ago now that the 2wd was offered right up to the MY99 and are rare because the SV was available as well, so most people wanting a 2wd went for the SV. Other upgrades are the bigger side air scoops, brembo brakes, revised front bar and engine bay like the VT. Also that the VTs and normal Diablos after a certain date have the same 510hp engine as the SV.

FoxValley advertises the 96 2wd car, with a 492bhp V-12 engine.

98+ SV's+Vt's have the 530hp Variable valve timing motors. There was no 510Hp motor in the U.S , this was on the Euro 96-97 SV's without Variable valve timing.

What we do know now, is that Lambo was pretty much full of crap on the Diablo motor specs. I know for fact that early Diablos, and the variable valve timing motors, make exactly the same amount of power on the dyno. no more than 5hp seperates them. The Diablo SV also does not weigh 3300lbs like stated for the U.S. market, as it weighs over 3600lbs AFTER the exhaust change. The Diablo 6.0's make slightly more power, approx 30rwhp over a stock 91-99 Diablo, not enough to make up the 400lb weight difference between it, and a 91.

I know that Symbolic, has or had a dark blue 96 D car forsale.

At the time i purchased my Diablo, Symbolic had this diablo. i never got into price, but I am sure it wasnt as much as the Silver Diablo.

They still have it on their site for sale. As I recall, the body was a bit beat and tired but not too bad.

Back in '96, you have to remember the factory was in great trouble of going out of business. This is primary reason the SV was created, to create a lower priced Diablo.

For 96 model year, the records I have show 17 VTs and 17 RWD Diablos being produced. The 12 RWD '96 Diablos that came to the USA were offered at a lower price than the standard VT model. Remember, 96 was also the introduction of the Roadster, 118 built (not entirely sure how many made it to the USA in 96).

The SV would have been sent to the USA in 96 except the factory did not have the $ to certify the car. The SVs that made it over in 98 were nothing like the original idea of the SV (light weight, lower cost, not a lot of frills).

So, in summary, the small production of RWD Diablos were to help make a more sellable car (i.e. lower price), not as low as the SV but the SV could not come to the USA. These RWD/VTs were made early on (I believe) before Roadster production cranked up (in early 1996). I have pics from the factory floor in March 96, wall to wall Roadsters, most the SVs were already produced by then.

BTW, only 71 SVs were made in 96 (not including the 32 SVRs)

Back in '96, you have to remember the factory was in great trouble of going out of business. This is primary reason the SV was created, to create a lower priced Diablo.

The factories instability created a lot of cool cars, cars today whose economically derived variations make them future collectors items. Unfortunately this is all but lost with VAG.

The SVs that made it over in 98 were nothing like the original idea of the SV (light weight, lower cost, not a lot of frills).

I looked at and posted pics, of a yellow 97 Canadian SV, that at one time was forsale in L.I., N.Y. It had a grey suede interior, no chicken bar, speedo in KM, and no shock lift system etc... Kewl car. I think ZR automotive, has the car listed forsale on their website today.

The factories instability created a lot of cool cars, cars today whose economically derived variations make them future collector items. Unfortunately this is all but lose with VAG.

:iamwithstupid:

The old Lamborghini company, built all kinds of special cars. You can write a hardback book, on just Countach interior variations. The silver 96 car, is something different from the others.

I looked at and posted pics, of a yellow 97 Canadian SV, that at one time was forsale in L.I., N.Y. It had a grey suede interior, no chicken bar, speedo in KM, and no shock lift system etc... Kewl car. I think ZR automotive, has the car listed forsale on their website today.

Never said anything about Canada (I do not know how many 96/97 SVs were made for Canada, would bet very few)...

First SVs made specifically for USA (ZA9D...) was '98MY. There were no 96 or 97 SVs specifically made by the factory for USA.

By the way, the 97 SV is specifically allowed for importation and that's probably how that 97 Canadian SV is here, legally speaking.

The list here:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/elig010807b.htm

-J

Never said anything about Canada (I do not know how many 96/97 SVs were made for Canada, would bet very few)...

First SVs made specifically for USA (ZA9D...) was '98MY. There were no 96 or 97 SVs specifically made by the factory for USA.

By the way, the 97 SV is specifically allowed for importation and that's probably how that 97 Canadian SV is here, legally speaking.

The list here:

-J

John

That is all true. I do know their were no official pre-98 SV cars, imported into the USA, by the official factory distributor.

I doubt that 97 car was officially imported. The cabin was not compliant, with the DOT requirements. The speedometer was in KM only, and the dash was a Euro. If the car was legal, it would have had to be modified, and then later returned to the stock configuration. I would "guess" it was driven across the border, and titled in a state with liberal paperwork requirements. A large # of DMV employees, have a hard time spelling their own names.

The silver 96 car, is something different from the others.

There are only a handful of these SPECIAL cars produced in 1996. IMO, it is undoubtedly the best driving Diablos I have experienced (AND I have driven a lot of Diablos including my 6.0), the best of both world if you will.

I speak from first hand experience because I have one sitting in my garage at this writing (the silver is #12443 and my serial # 12442).

Ps: Coincidentally, my 96 was at LofC two weeks ago for complete major 15k service.

98+ SV's+Vt's have the 530hp Variable valve timing motors. There was no 510Hp motor in the U.S , this was on the Euro 96-97 SV's without Variable valve timing.

What we do know now, is that Lambo was pretty much full of crap on the Diablo motor specs. I know for fact that early Diablos, and the variable valve timing motors, make exactly the same amount of power on the dyno. no more than 5hp seperates them. The Diablo SV also does not weigh 3300lbs like stated for the U.S. market, as it weighs over 3600lbs AFTER the exhaust change. The Diablo 6.0's make slightly more power, approx 30rwhp over a stock 91-99 Diablo, not enough to make up the 400lb weight difference between it, and a 91.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Italians, gota love em! does the variable valve timing do anything at all? surely it beefs up the torque down low or something??

• 7 years later...

I have a 1996 White Factory RWD (ONE OF THE TWELVE) special cars made in 1996.

There are only a handful of these SPECIAL cars produced in 1996. IMO, it is undoubtedly the best driving Diablos I have experienced (AND I have driven a lot of Diablos including my 6.0), the best of both world if you will.

I speak from first hand experience because I have one sitting in my garage at this writing (the silver is #12443 and my serial # 12442).

Ps: Coincidentally, my 96 was at LofC two weeks ago for complete major 15k service.

The list here:

-J

That particular 97 Canadian SV I know well. The owner at the time could not get it inspected as it did not have the OBD plug to get it inspected. If I recall correctly it was sold through Champion Motors on L.I. at the time. The previous owner from LI if he sees this will add further detail, also from what I understand when it went to the Canadian Dealer the mileage came into question as it had changed to much lower digits once they tried to sell it.

I own 12443 now. Have been through the mechanicals (engine, clutch, brakes, shocks, exhaust), paint had some nicks and dings so had them repaired and car painted.

Looks and runs great now.

Diablo.JPG