Low Body VS later Countach

Lamborghinikid

I think it was Tony that posted a side by side pic of the Low Body next to a later car that showed just how low the early cars were. I was unable to find that pic , does anyone else have it ? Thanks

I think it was Tony that posted a side by side pic of the Low Body next to a later car that showed just how low the early cars were. I was unable to find that pic , does anyone else have it ? Thanks

It was two cars, but not side by side. let me go find them...

Okay...here is a good example.

You go out and find a set of original Bravos or the repros and put them on a S3 or 5000S or QV.

The result is not the same.

post-5766-1190763986_thumb.jpg

post-5766-1190763997_thumb.jpg

post-5766-1190765848_thumb.jpg

post-5766-1190765857_thumb.jpg

The newer car looks like a 4x4 compared to the S1

The front lower chin spoiler is not the big difference as much as the overall body difference to the wheels...

Look at this.

post-5766-1190770500_thumb.jpg

post-5766-1190770507_thumb.jpg

that red one in the last photo looks amazing.. what year is that? and they call it a low body? I would like to get one of those one day..

that red one in the last photo looks amazing.. what year is that? and they call it a low body? I would like to get one of those one day..

Thank you.

That is my car #1121036. It is one of the last 1978 or the first 1979 Countach LP400S Series One Lowbody.

It is all original with 9,800 original miles and has been in the US since day one.

Only 50 were ever made between 1978 - 1979 and maybe 35-40 still exist.

There is another Lowbody class called Series Two, 105 cars were made between 1980 -1981.

There is an overall floor pan to roof size difference as well as a different suspension and ride height.

post-5766-1190773211_thumb.jpg

post-5766-1190773219_thumb.jpg

You can really see the difference in the black car / red car pic. On my old countach i always hated how much fender well room that the front wheel had.

Tony, on your red car , are the wheels magnesium or alloy ? I was always under the impression that the early magnesium wheels were brittle and hairline cracks were common ? I was also looking at the radio. That has to be one of, if not THE, first Alpine tape decks. I was trying to date the tape player and in my mind that has to be one of the earliest tape deck option cars because i was thinking most cars were still 8 track in the late 70s. You should send a pic of it in to Alpine. I bet they would get a kick out of seeing one that old, in that car, and it still working !

There is another Lowbody class called Series Two, 105 cars were made between 1980 -1981.

There is an overall floor pan to roof size difference as well as a different suspension and ride height.

Are you saying that there are 2 types of low body cars? Are the dimensons the same for the 78-79 and the 80 lowbody cars?

The newer car looks like a 4x4 compared to the S1

I know you are not part of the anti-political discussion click, but this kind of statement is asking for trouble. :icon_mrgreen: :lol2:

I was also looking at the radio. That has to be one of, if not THE, first Alpine tape decks. I was trying to date the tape player and in my mind that has to be one of the earliest tape deck option cars because i was thinking most cars were still 8 track in the late 70s. You should send a pic of it in to Alpine. I bet they would get a kick out of seeing one that old, in that car, and it still working !

we could send 2!!

post-4328-1190791968_thumb.jpg

Are you saying that there are 2 types of low body cars? Are the dimensons the same for the 78-79 and the 80 lowbody cars?

no, same dimensions

the wheels are the main difference BTW a 78-79 and a 80

John Hermann posted the pic of his 80 and 82 nose to nose - JohnMH on this board??

Here is that pic again. I will eventually get them side to side and take a picture with a tape measure or something. The 82 LP5000S is definitely taller. Just try getting a lift under the S1 car. (Ask the guy just who did it).

Never changed the oil on a Countach myself until this time. Ok smart guys, how do you get the rest of the oil out of it? There must be something like 5 liters of oil stuck in the oil cooler and the oil lines which run to the front of the car. Maybe I just turn it upside down and shake it. Amazing.

post_4560_1189329986_thumb.jpg

Brian,

As Emilio said, the series one lowbody 50 cars between 78-79 and the series two lowbody 105 cars between 80-81.

The body size is the same. The wheels are the difference. That is all. The first "highbody" car was a LP400S and it is a series three.

:)

John , you a got a good shot of that black car ? I would love to see it. Also .. when was the first year for the gold wheel's and did they ever make gold bravos or campy's or were all gold wheels OZ ?

John , you a got a good shot of that black car ? I would love to see it. Also .. when was the first year for the gold wheel's and did they ever make gold bravos or campy's or were all gold wheels OZ ?

Here is one with gold bravos!

post-7323-1190938570_thumb.jpg

Here is one with gold bravos!

Imagine that car with a tan interior....

I was thinking of buying a set from eurospares and painting them gold as a driving set with new tires and put my P7's on the original wheels for show.

I was thinking of buying a set from eurospares and painting them gold as a driving set with new tires and put my P7's on the original wheels for show.

GOOD IDEA, Tony

Although my car did not have bravos originally (1980) I was going to purchase a set as well. If you do decide to buy Tony, see if they will make you a deal on 2 sets. Thanks

Brian

The shocks on mine allow me to lower the entire car, which I would love to do and make its' stance like Johns

old DD but I've almost scraped the front-end already so I think I'll just leave it.....as far as the lower roof goes, I'm

glad you guys fit in them..they sure look cool, but I'm six three and barely fit in the highroof cars. Not that I drive

THAT aggressive, but I guess the lowbody cars at the extreme, would handle a little better.

The shocks on mine allow me to lower the entire car, which I would love to do and make its' stance like Johns

old DD but I've almost scraped the front-end already so I think I'll just leave it.....as far as the lower roof goes, I'm

glad you guys fit in them..they sure look cool, but I'm six three and barely fit in the highroof cars. Not that I drive

THAT aggressive, but I guess the lowbody cars at the extreme, would handle a little better.

Ken,

That is a wise move, don't lower it. I am the one who lowered John's ex when I owned it and it did not work well...

It looked cool but there was no range in the springs and the car hit everything.

The lowbody cars have a different setup. The car was not simply raised up in the later cars.

See these pictures of my car... see how high the lower rocker is above the ground while the body is low on the tires.

If you look at the lower chin spoiler you will see they are a little lower on the early cars but when you lower a later car so the front wheels look like an early car the lower chin and the body under the rockers are way to close to the ground.

PS: I got your PM and if I am free I will meet up with you guys.

post-5766-1191073870_thumb.jpg

post-5766-1191073879_thumb.jpg

Tony, let's find ANY excuse to keep posting photos of your CT...!!!! Looks really nice!

....now let's see - we better see 30 - 40 more detailed photos of your entire car...I want to compare stereo knobs with my '86, lol!

Tony, let's find ANY excuse to keep posting photos of your CT...!!!! Looks really nice!

....now let's see - we better see 30 - 40 more detailed photos of your entire car...I want to compare stereo knobs with my '86, lol!

Here ya go...LOL!

I'm working on more.

post-5766-1191080426_thumb.jpg

Beautiful car Tony...

The picture between black and red is a slight optical illusion due to the angle of the lens when the shot was taken..the black car seems much lower due to the amount of air grill visible over the red one...in fact I would imagine the actual difference is only a few mm.