Kerplop

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone have a preferred cigar to go with their scotch? Looking to celebrate in a week (been a very stressful few months) with a glass or two and a good strong stogie. Best I ever had was a Cohiba Sig VI and the Opus X. Not much of a snob on scotches - I usually drink whatever Costco carries! And cigars - I know what I like... and they're usually cuban and $$$.

I've actually become less of a scotch snob over the years... I used to go for whisky that was old enough to vote, independent bottlings, etc. I've finally realized that there isn't much that I really like THAT much better than Highland Park 12 or Laphraoig 10. I'll go for the fancy stuff on special occasions, but most of the time I'd rather do something else with the money. The same thing has happened to me with bourbon... these days I stick to Buffalo Trace most of the time.

My wife was going to buy me a bottle of Maccallan 25 for my birthday last month.... I told her not to... Good thing, because I cant drink now, and that would make me nuts.

• 8 months later...
Just picked up a couple of bottles of this. Not because it's any better than regular blue, but I'm a sucker for the branding.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/01/porsche...blue-label-col/

I recently picked up a 14yr Balvenie Carribean Cask. Really fantastic stuff I love it. I brought some over for my dad's birthday to celebrate. He mixed it with coca cola :( Apparently he doesn't get scotch.

In my cabinet currently:

JW Red, green, black, double black, gold, blue.

Oban, Glen Fiddich 12 and 15, Glen Livet 18 and 21, Dalwhinnie, Bavlenie, Lagavullin, Laphroaig 10 and 15, Macallan 18 and 21, and a couple more Im forgetting.

I love scotch.

Nowhere near snob level though. Like em all.

In my cabinet currently:

JW Red, green, black, double black, gold, blue.

Oban, Glen Fiddich 12 and 15, Glen Livet 18 and 21, Dalwhinnie, Bavlenie, Lagavullin, Laphroaig 10 and 15, Macallan 18 and 21, and a couple more Im forgetting.

I love scotch.

Nowhere near snob level though. Like em all.

I'm actually having some Glenfiddich 12 right now. It's quite nice.

I'm about to stock up the scotch cabinet again. Anyone order online? I really want to try JW Green (and blue just for kicks) but local stores charge outrageous prices.

Im still fairly new to the scotch game, however my current faves are; glenmorangie quinta ruban, glenmorangie nectar de oro, and Oban 18yr. I typically enjoy with a good stogie.

I also just got a set of Ice sphere makers for my birthday (just the silicone molds) and love em.

I recently picked up a 14yr Balvenie Carribean Cask. Really fantastic stuff I love it. I brought some over for my dad's birthday to celebrate. He mixed it with coca cola :( Apparently he doesn't get scotch.

I picked up Balvenie for a friend when I heard it was one of his favorites. Was pretty good...

Pretty jealous of most everyone on here having the taste for Scotch. :icon_mrgreen:

I picked up Balvenie for a friend when I heard it was one of his favorites. Was pretty good...

Pretty jealous of most everyone on here having the taste for Scotch. :icon_mrgreen:

I would recommend starting with bourbon or rye whiskey rocks and slowly start working towards a blended scotch then move on to small amounts of single malts neat.

(At least that's how I did it)

It's definitely not something most people enjoy off the bat, it takes some work/time.

I would recommend starting with bourbon or rye whiskey rocks and slowly start working towards a blended scotch then move on to small amounts of single malts neat.

It's definitely not something most people enjoy off the bat, it takes some work/time.

Thankfully I'm inpatient as hell and don't want to put in the time to try and enjoy something I don't like, so I just stick with stuff I like.

I'm lazy like that.

I'll try out this formula...looks good.

How long was this process?

Thankfully I'm inpatient as hell and don't want to put in the time to try and enjoy something I don't like, so I just stick with stuff I like.

Hahaha!!

"Inpatient".....

I assume I meant impatient. Maybe I should lay off the enjoyable beer and try some of this scotch you are all talking about.

I'll try out this formula...looks good.

How long was this process?

I would say a couple weeks if you are already fine with bourbon rocks.

Disclaimer: I'm not your conscience, your mother, or your priest.

Want my advice STOP DRINKING. I stopped drinking about 3 years ago and I don't miss it. I don't have any regrets about the drinking

itself I never got in trouble the law, it never ruined any relationships, I was perfectly happy to stay home and drink.

What I do regret it the money I spent on the habit. Once I really stopped drinking I took a look at all the money I spent and I was

depressed. With interest I'd have enough money to buy a lambo, or to buy enough guns to take over Belize. :lol2:

Consider this a cautionary tale.

I'm lazy like that.

I understand the point you're trying to make; however did you really grow up enjoying the taste of beer? I found it vile for quite a long time.

Disclaimer: I'm not your conscience, your mother, or your priest.

Want my advice STOP DRINKING. I stopped drinking about 3 years ago and I don't miss it. I don't have any regrets about the drinking

itself I never got in trouble the law, it never ruined any relationships, I was perfectly happy to stay home and drink.

What I do regret it the money I spent on the habit. Once I really stopped drinking I took a look at all the money I spent and I was

depressed. With interest I'd have enough money to buy a lambo, or to buy enough guns to take over Belize. :lol2:

Consider this a cautionary tale.

Same could be said about Women.

I don't think I'll be stopping either anytime soon :eusa_dance:

Same could be said about Women.

I don't think I'll be stopping either anytime soon :eusa_dance:

Pussyjuice doesn't count its a naturally occurring labiation I mean libation. :rolleyes:

I understand the point you're trying to make; however did you really grow up enjoying the taste of beer? I found it vile for quite a long time.

I really like the taste of the beer I drink. Not Coors Light and stuff like that, really "hoppy" brands like Tree Brewing Company Double IPA and Dogfish 120, plus one of my fav's Chimay Blue Cap. But that's not to say that everyone should enjoy those.

We like what we like. If I like a black car, it doesn't mean someone that likes a white car is right or wrong. So I'm cool either way and completely respect that some people either like scotch or want to acquire a taste for scotch. It's all good!

:icon_thumleft:

I must say I am not a big fan of Balvanie. It is a bit too hot for my taste. I must say, McCallan seems to be a preferred go to for me, take your pick of vintage. I can point you to more specific single malt vintage stuff but for the bang for the buck, it is hard to stray too far from McCallan. I have had through their 30 year and it is just difficult to point you to any others for daily drinkers.

I'm a novice as well and don't drink often, but I'm a big fan of Balvenie. Got a bottle of the 12yo double wood. I think it has a great taste and goes down smoothly with a nice warm finish.

I've tried a smoky whisky and hated it. Not my thing at all.

I really like the taste of the beer I drink. Not Coors Light and stuff like that, really "hoppy" brands like Tree Brewing Company Double IPA and Dogfish 120, plus one of my fav's Chimay Blue Cap. But that's not to say that everyone should enjoy those.

We like what we like. If I like a black car, it doesn't mean someone that likes a white car is right or wrong. So I'm cool either way and completely respect that some people either like scotch or want to acquire a taste for scotch. It's all good!

:icon_thumleft:

Still didn't answer his question, lol.

I agree with Vyce....I forgot how long it took to like beer, but it certainly wasn't a few weeks.

Laphroaig is probably my best pick.

it's hard to go back to anything from Laphroaig.

Since trying Laphroaig with a friend years ago, its been among my favorites, truly unique smokey flavor.

Johnny Walker Blue - you hear about it all the time. But it is the best Blended out there - like butter it is. PS. I do not like any other JW's at all. Gold, red, green, black - don't like em at all. But blue is good stuff and just a few hundred a bottle.

However any Macallen 25 year old is very good as well and also only normally 200 or so per bottle.

When in doubt, Blue & Macallen 25 is the way to go. Blue is the non-hangover choice for many !