Lp560 Dyno... Slowpoke will cry

Allan-Herbie

Well RS911Turbo just dynoed their Lp560 and i have to say we now have 2 solid dynoes that show that the lp560 will demolish the Gallardo SL. When I first drove one it didnt feel any faster than the 08 Gallardo we had just driven, but as i noted we were never really able to get out of 2nd gear. Im going to have to get my hands on another Lp560 to do a much more indepth review, but with 2 conclusive dynos now the Lp560 makes massive amounts of power over the previous Gallardos.

Dynos to follow shortly..

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we already have one dyno at 500ish rwhp which is a HUGE underrating by Lamborghini. when Allan's G was dynoed it made 410ish rwhp (correct me if im wrong allan) and this translates into 493 crank hp (lambo's claim) given 17% drivetrain loss. at 17% loss 500 rwhp is 602 crank hp.

if thse new dynoes mirror Heffner's it will be very impressive.

I cant understand why there would've been an argument. Ahhh, 556hp vs 520hp (factory claims), it's obviously gonna be huge, no?

I cant understand why there would've been an argument. Ahhh, 556hp vs 520hp (factory claims), it's obviously gonna be huge, no?

Nope, 35/40+ hp is an incremental power bump by today's standards. We have seen the videos, read the magazine articles, and reviewed/compared the performance data of the two models and the LP is in a different, much faster class.

Factory claims are the key words here..... through dyno testing we can conclude that the LP engine is making around 600hp at the crank while the earlier Gs are making around 480/500 hp at the crank. Yes, Lamborghini has intentionally OVER stated the power on the pre LP model, and UNDER stated the power on the LP!

Still on the dyno, just finished lunch and going to do another pull. Stock # 483 whp. and with mods put down over 500 (this is done on a dyno dynamics)

Still on the dyno, just finished lunch and going to do another pull. Stock # 483 whp. and with mods put down over 500 (this is done on a dyno dynamics)

what mods? do you have a shop down here in SOFL?

this is rwd right? 483 would be about 580 hp! :o

Guest dhagans
this is rwd right? 483 would be about 580 hp! :o

those are quite the numbers

I can understand a manufacturer over-quoting horsepower for one of their models, but why on earth would they UNDER-quote the HP, especially to such a big degree??

Makes no sense to me . . .

The good news is, when the F450 comes out and Lamborghini has to bump up the power in the G again to compete, they can bump it up by only 10 or 15 HP and now claim (accurately) that it's got 590 horsepower, or something. :-)

I can understand a manufacturer over-quoting horsepower for one of their models, but why on earth would they UNDER-quote the HP, especially to such a big degree??

Makes no sense to me . . .

The good news is, when the F450 comes out and Lamborghini has to bump up the power in the G again to compete, they can bump it up by only 10 or 15 HP and now claim (accurately) that it's got 590 horsepower, or something. :-)

It makes perfect sense from a marketing perspective. Do you think Murci buyers would be as anxious to drop another 100-150k over and above the price of a G if the choice was LP640 v. LP600? This kind of thing has been going on forever, even when the different models had the same engine--the LS1 in the more expensive V e t t e was rated at 30 hp more than the same engine in the F-bodies, the 55k Benz engine in the more expensive SL, S, and CL models was rated at almost 30 hp more than the less expensive E55, etc. But when the cars hit the dynos, they were virtually identical. It's all about making the buyers of the upline models feel more special.

Yes, Lamborghini has intentionally OVER stated the power on the pre LP model, and UNDER stated the power on the LP!

Companies would NEVER overstate horsepower intentionally. I can think of three cases where it was proven cars were not making the advertised horsepower (Ford with the '99 Cobra and Mazda with the RX8 and Miata). There were class action lawsuits and Ford had to recall all the Mustangs and swap out the intake to bring the cars up to advertised HP and Mazda gave the option of buying the cars back or a few other incentives.

My guess is that the Gallardo numbers were correct and that the LP560 is making significantly more than advertised to avoid from cutting in on LP 640 sales.

My guess is that the Gallardo numbers were correct and that the LP560 is making significantly more than advertised to avoid from cutting in on LP 640 sales.

My 06 SE dynoed at around 400 rwd hp stock. At 520 crank horsepower, assuming a 15 to 18% driveline power loss, it should have dynoed at around 430 to 440 hp, so that's why I am assuming the factory over rated power on the early models. The car's performance bears that assumption out as well, basically it is a 12.2@116 mph quarter mile car. A 520 hp car weighing in at 3500lbs should do much better.

Nice!! The 5.2L engine in the 560 shares less than 15% of its compoents with the previous 5.0L unit, that may explain some of the "underrated" claims due to the impressive dyno figures.

The amazing thing is that the 560 puts down more rwhp than a pre-LP640 Murcie, but with 500 fewer pounds to haul around...

Nice!! The 5.2L engine in the 560 shares less than 15% of its compoents with the previous 5.0L unit, that may explain some of the "underrated" claims due to the impressive dyno figures.

The amazing thing is that the 560 puts down more rwhp than a pre-LP640 Murcie, but with 500 fewer pounds to haul around...

Don't forget about the new fuel injection system, which Lamborghini claims improves low end grunt. On the first LP dynoed, the power gains(over a early model G) were even more impressive at mid range rpms. It will be interesting to see if RSturbo's LP power band plots out the same way on the dyno chart.

Benchrace all you want, in the real world, it's on the streets it all matters! :icon_butt:

Soon my children, soon.... :icon_thumleft:

Ps. What mods have been done to the 560 except exhaust? Ds.

Let's be fair & rational: the LP560-4 simply has to out-perform a SL from both a marketing and engineering perspective; otherwise who would buy one? The successor plainly needs to succeed. That said, though, the 560 feels totally different and whether that is better or not is purely subjective. If one expects/prefers a Lambo to have the feel of a Mercedes SL63 then the 560 is his car. But if one wants the raw, unabashed and perhaps the demonic feel, the SL is it! It may be slightly slower, but the feel and the aesthetics (carbon fibre & Alcantara) made it up.

And afterall, aren't we keep saying "welcome to the dark side"? :icon_twisted:

Now, should they ever make a LP560 Superleggera, however... :eusa_think:

Let's be fair & rational: the LP560-4 simply has to out-perform a SL from both a marketing and engineering perspective; otherwise who would buy one? The successor plainly needs to succeed. That said, though, the 560 feels totally different and whether that is better or not is purely subjective. If one expects/prefers a Lambo to have the feel of a Mercedes SL63 then the 560 is his car. But if one wants the raw, unabashed and perhaps the demonic feel, the SL is it! It may be slightly slower, but the feel and the aesthetics (carbon fibre & Alcantara) made it up.

And afterall, aren't we keep saying "welcome to the dark side"? :icon_twisted:

Now, should they ever make a LP560 Superleggera, however... :eusa_think:

:eusa_clap: