Visa Black Card

fmari

Is it any good? Any feedback?

I want to see if the $495 yearly fee is worth it or not.

If you want to be laughed at for a credit card with little rewards and a huge annual fee to look like a fake amex black card, go for it!!

On the same subject, does anyone feel there's much benefit to paying $450 for the Amex platinum card? I upgraded from Gold to Platinum a few months ago because they offered me 50,000 points to upgrade, which made it worth the additional fee, but I'm thinking of downgrading back to gold before the year is up because it's only $150 a year and for the life of me I haven't seen any benefit from the platinum.

Am I missing something?

from what I have found, the days of points being valuable are gone. You have to accrue so many points to get next to nothing. And just when you know what you get and how much the fees are, the rules change.

They definitely play fast and loose, changing the rules on you, but I wouldn't say they're worth next to nothing. A hundred thousand Amex points will get you 2-4 (coach) domestic flights, at least, loosely speaking. That doesn't change too much.

from what I have found, the days of points being valuable are gone. You have to accrue so many points to get next to nothing. And just when you know what you get and how much the fees are, the rules change.

Got this in the mail today. What a joke. Does not offer me anything more than my existing but a sick $495 fee. Fcuk them. Tries to sell you on 1% USA people to deserve this card with 720 plus credit score. Think about it. I estimate 300 million people in the USA so 1% = 3mil x 495.00. DUH.

I agree....

The people at the cards department just keep coming up with superfluous ideas to reach into your pockets...

On the same subject, does anyone feel there's much benefit to paying $450 for the Amex platinum card? I upgraded from Gold to Platinum a few months ago because they offered me 50,000 points to upgrade, which made it worth the additional fee, but I'm thinking of downgrading back to gold before the year is up because it's only $150 a year and for the life of me I haven't seen any benefit from the platinum.

Am I missing something?

Absolutely worth it if you travel frequently.

If you fly American Airlines, the Amex Platinum grants you free access to the Admirals Club regardless of which class you're flying.

Many hotels give you a third or fourth night free.

I used the free concierge service to get a reservation at a booked Paris restaurant.

At many hotels, they have special (larger) rooms set aside for Amex Platinum/Centurion members.

There's a 40 page booklet containing all of the special perks associated with the card. From onboard cruise cash to lux car rental upgrades, it's a REAL value, compared to the BS Visa "Black Card".

While we are talking about credit cards, which one has the lowest foreign transaction fee? Skank of America raised mine to 2%, what a rippoff!

While we are talking about credit cards, which one has the lowest foreign transaction fee? Skank of America raised mine to 2%, what a rippoff!

Capital one, zero percent.

i actually just received mine in the mail. it looks pretty dam cool (carbon)

i will let you know if it is worth it or not

Thanks!

Careful getting a capitaL ONe card. Apparently that company has some dishonest practices where they somehow lower your credit rating so that you can't get cards elsewhere. May be more of an issue for someone starting out or with minimal funds, but still shitty practice.

Got this in the mail today. What a joke. Does not offer me anything more than my existing but a sick $495 fee. Fcuk them. Tries to sell you on 1% USA people to deserve this card with 720 plus credit score. Think about it. I estimate 300 million people in the USA so 1% = 3mil x 495.00. DUH.

Comes out to about $1.5B :icon_thumleft:

Good thread, I just got my invitation in the mail myself so I was wondering the same thing. I'm not going to throw $500 a year away if its just a fancier looking card.

Careful getting a capitaL ONe card. Apparently that company has some dishonest practices where they somehow lower your credit rating so that you can't get cards elsewhere. May be more of an issue for someone starting out or with minimal funds, but still shitty practice.

Thanks for the headzup, but turns out I already have one, a biz card..... imo, every credit card company is sketchy. I pity the people with balances, who lose their jobs and just when they need a break, their interest rate gets jacked to 30%.... those rates used to be called usury, something only a loan shark, or Shylock would try to pull down. The recent credit card "bill of rights" is a fcuking sham.

IMO, the best CC I've had is the my AMEX Platinum Plus Aeroplan For Business card... I use it only for my company in Canada, but it by far has givin me the most flexability in spending (unlimited; business or personal) and in flights. I travel world wide with my fiance every month and through my Aeroplan points(1.5 pts for every $ spent) I'm able to fly first/business class on every flight AND book hotel suits through Amex concierge..

$500 per yr and $200 per additional cards, per yr. At 3 cards I pay $900 a year, but well worth it.

Do the benefits really make it worth it?

if you travel, yes. They enroll you in a bunch of the airline frequent flier clubs so you can use the nice lounges. Also, the conceirge service is nice.

I've been carrying my Black for 5 years and like it. Of course it is a conversation piece when you use it (kinda like Lambos as conversation pieces).

if you travel, yes. They enroll you in a bunch of the airline frequent flier clubs so you can use the nice lounges. Also, the conceirge service is nice.

I've been carrying my Black for 5 years and like it. Of course it is a conversation piece when you use it (kinda like Lambos as conversation pieces).

Conversations like "Ooops my panties just fell off!"

On the Visa Black Card I got the invite and packet in the mail and my first thought was what a AMEX ripoff!