McLaren MP4-12C master thread, details

capt_chaos

im willing to bet that the lp700s performance will be at the lower end of the spectrum in all but top speed..

ill bet that it beats your 458! have you seen the new 700 yet? (im surprised your not crazy about it)

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like you year-one owners in the US are going to be more special than most thought...just 333 coming Stateside the first year of production:

"Total customer-destined production this year from Woking will be just 1,000 cars, one-third of those coming to the United States' nine dealers. By 2015 full capacity of 4,000 cars per year will be reachable, with that total being split between three separate MP4 models."

Looks like you year-one owners in the US are going to be more special than most thought...just 333 coming Stateside the first year of production:

"Total customer-destined production this year from Woking will be just 1,000 cars, one-third of those coming to the United States' nine dealers. By 2015 full capacity of 4,000 cars per year will be reachable, with that total being split between three separate MP4 models."

One of those new models comprising the 4000 production figure is supposed to be a 911 rival, so it looks like the 12C's number won't rise above the 1k/year mark. Seems like they're taking a long view and avoiding the saturation that Lambo managed by raising Gallardo production.

Sorry, the Lp700 is outdated before it arrives.. Its a blend of all aspects of old styling wise..murci,gallardo and revolting.. It will no doubt be a better car than what it is replacing but it will NOT be a world beater.. There have already been initial test drives of the car given to journalists world wide, and the initial Mclaren reports have just surfaced.. How many of the Lambo reports started with saying it was the WORLDS BEST CAR? :lol2: :lol2:

well you cant really compare them like that. The LP700 reports are prototypes, and those who wrote the reports have clearly been restricted on publishing a thorough article.

I dont think anyone sees the LP700 being a world beater, but neither is this new Mclaren. Of all the DSG monsters its the most powerful (save the veyron) and the lightest. To beat this new car, Ferrari and Porsche need do nothing more than develop a compatible dual clutch into cars like the Enzo, CGT or GT2 RS. Alas, they will be doing much more than that.

99% of my time spent looking at the interior or overall exterior.

Last time I looked at wheel arches and door sills it was because I noticed a bunch of mud on them. Last time I looked at the engine compartment it was because I was checking oil levels. Splitter I scrape the hell out of and rear diffuser is, well, at the underside of the rear end of my car.

Unless you are worried about the next guy, I'd save a few (tens of thousands) bucks and go for the core/useful options.

I agree. Back to basics; all the extras do not make it any better to me. Like you said...maybe for "the next guy", but I would rather save the 'tens of thousands' and not miss the things I really don't care about.

well you cant really compare them like that. The LP700 reports are prototypes, and those who wrote the reports have clearly been restricted on publishing a thorough article.

I dont think anyone sees the LP700 being a world beater, but neither is this new Mclaren. Of all the DSG monsters its the most powerful (save the veyron) and the lightest. To beat this new car, Ferrari and Porsche need do nothing more than develop a compatible dual clutch into cars like the Enzo, CGT or GT2 RS. Alas, they will be doing much more than that.

:iamwithstupid:

As Bill said, the 458 hasn't even been delivered long enough to say "oh, we should have left Lambo years ago". In reality both of you (Alex and Allan) have had so many L-cars the past five years that you're burned out. They seem old, boring, etc. Plus the newer cars from Porsche and Ferrari (and now McLaren) are loaded with cool shit, especially on the tech front. That 458 steering wheel really is impressive for the man/machine interface, as is the rest of the car.

And Lambo's management (or whomever makes the bottom line decisions) is to blame for a lot of your L-car fatigue because they haven't provided either the Murcie OR Gallardo replacements in a timely manner. They have to take the responsibility for that.

The bottom line is that you'll both own L-cars again in the future, just as you will P-cars and F-cars, depending upon which has the newest hottest model. The one thing you won't own again are any v-ettes. That part I think we all can agree on. :icon_mrgreen:

As Bill said, the 458 hasn't even been delivered long enough to say "oh, we should have left Lambo years ago". In reality both of you (Alex and Allan) have had so many L-cars the past five years that you're burned out. They seem old, boring, etc. Plus the newer cars from Porsche and Ferrari (and now McLaren) are loaded with cool shit, especially on the tech front. That 458 steering wheel really is impressive for the man/machine interface, as is the rest of the car.

And Lambo's management (or whomever makes the bottom line decisions) is to blame for a lot of your L-car fatigue because they haven't provided either the Murcie OR Gallardo replacements in a timely manner. They have to take the responsibility for that.

The bottom line is that you'll both own L-cars again in the future, just as you will P-cars and F-cars, depending upon which has the newest hottest model. The one thing you won't own again are any v-ettes. That part I think we all can agree on. :icon_mrgreen:

:iamwithstupid: :iamwithstupid: :icon_thumleft:

It may be a technical marvel but I think it looks like an old Toyota MR2. No Thanks

The LP700 is just around the corner, no journos drove the road car yet, they drove the prototype, at least in the articles I've read, they were extremely impressed with it.

A car that has, new carbon tub, new engine, new gearbox, new suspension set up, new diff, new 4WD system, new interior, new instruments display, new out of this world design even if "borrowed" from cars you are familiar with it, to call that outdated is a bit of a stretch.

I think I know the manner in which you referred to it as outdated , the fact that design elements were borrowed from previous models, but you haven't seen it yet, before you take the wind out of the sails of all your Lambo buddies that are really looking forward to this car, why not be a bit patient? Some of the guys on the board are very excited about the car and they value your opinion.

I know you are pissed Allan and rightly so, I would feel exactly the same but you should give it a chance until you see it and your sit your ass in it, screw Winkelfag you know how I feel about it but this brand isn't all about him.

It's a bit of a shame that what it could possibly turn out to be the best thing that happened to Lambo in recent history it's being overshadowed by the love fest for a car that wouldn't even look cool in the 80's and all this on a forum that has the largest concentration of Lamborghini owners and enthusiasts on the planet.

None of this affects my buying decision because I still buy the car that gives me butterflies in my stomach when I look at therefore I don't really care about the comments/stats,driving impressions etc it's just a bit disappointing that most of the LP members decided to engage in a full time Lambo bashing around the time we should be looking forward to what Lambo has in store for us.

Ah well I said my piece so please angry mob holding torches carry on :icon_mrgreen:

It may be a technical marvel but I think it looks like an old Toyota MR2. No Thanks

i happen to agree. im sure it will perform incredible but the looks just dont cut it for me (maybe some aftermarket mods and a matte black bonnet) will set it off. lol

The LP700 is just around the corner, no journos drove the road car yet, they drove the prototype, at least in the articles I've read, they were extremely impressed with it.

A car that has, new carbon tub, new engine, new gearbox, new suspension set up, new diff, new 4WD system, new interior, new instruments display, new out of this world design even if "borrowed" from cars you are familiar with it, to call that outdated is a bit of a stretch.

I think I know the manner in which you referred to it as outdated , the fact that design elements were borrowed from previous models, but you haven't seen it yet, before you take the wind out of the sails of all your Lambo buddies that are really looking forward to this car, why not be a bit patient? Some of the guys on the board are very excited about the car and they value your opinion.

I know you are pissed Allan and rightly so, I would feel exactly the same but you should give it a chance until you see it and your sit your ass in it, screw Winkelfag you know how I feel about it but this brand isn't all about him.

It's a bit of a shame that what it could possibly turn out to be the best thing that happened to Lambo in recent history it's being overshadowed by the love fest for a car that wouldn't even look cool in the 80's and all this on a forum that has the largest concentration of Lamborghini owners and enthusiasts on the planet.

None of this affects my buying decision because I still buy the car that gives me butterflies in my stomach when I look at therefore I don't really care about the comments/stats,driving impressions etc it's just a bit disappointing that most of the LP members decided to engage in a full time Lambo bashing around the time we should be looking forward to what Lambo has in store for us.

Ah well I said my piece so please angry mob holding torches carry on :icon_mrgreen:

well said!

Sorry, the Lp700 is outdated before it arrives.. Its a blend of all aspects of old styling wise..murci,gallardo and revolting..

And the MP4-12C brings us awesome new styling? :lol2:

What about the Porsches, they have been looking the same since forever!

And how is the fact that a new Lamborghini borrows a few styling cues from past Lamborghinis a bad thing? Better than borrowing from everyone else, or not changing a bit like the two other.

The styling angle can't be diminished. To some these cars are art, and half the enjoyment is seeing their precious every time they walk into the garage. A few 10ths of a second in the 1/4 mile is irrelevant when you're talking about the design of these cars from a visual standpoint.

We shouldn't minimize it as much as we're doing, both with the LP700 (most of whom are talking the loudest have NOT seen it) and the MP4-12C (it's not like this car is a beauty queen, it still reminds me of something that should have a "Tesla" badge).

Have to keep open minds guys, no one is more "right" than the other. They simply have a different viewpoint.

Even numbnuts Wilson made a good point about it, that while you don't "drive" the exterior, you DO drive the interior, and the LP700's interior has been described as fantastic by those who have seen it.

The real truth is that we all need bigger garages...because these cars are all stunning in their own way.

it still reminds me of something that should have a "Tesla" badge

funny because I see a lot of the Lotus Evora in this design.

But, still, I wish the I could justify the coin on this car. Everything I read looks like its going to be a huge performer.

But, still, I wish the I could justify the coin on this car. Everything I read looks like its going to be a huge performer.

You and me both. :eusa_wall:

Nice swil. :icon_thumleft:

Another gem from EVO's write up:

What’s it like to drive?

Unlike any other sports car because it separates the roles of ride and roll-stiffness. On a straight, bumpy road, it’s more comfortable than a Merc E-Class, change direction and it’s sharper than a 997GT3.

ill bet that it beats your 458! have you seen the new 700 yet? (im surprised your not crazy about it)

Im willing to bet it will NOT beat my 458 :icon_mrgreen:

They need to do nothing more than develop dual clutch cars? :lol2:

Heck, I hope I own Lambos in the future.. But as of now only one Id really like to own is a pristine Countach to display in my living room!

Im sorry.. But i used to think about new lambos before they were released for months on end.. the excitement would never subside.. for the first time ever.. I feel ZERO excitement for the new model.. And when you find out how many people I have personally spoken to who have put down deposits on the Mclaren instead of the Lp700, you ill be amazed.. You will also be amazed at how many people WOULD consider the Mclaren as a purchase instead of the lp700.. There have been conversations of the demographic not being the same... Youd be AMAZED.... I know of 2 today... :icon_mrgreen: