McLaren MP4-12C master thread, details

capt_chaos

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only problem I'm having with this car is that it's just not this and I really want it to be this:

***picture of McLaren F1 deleted, too wide skippy, resize it.***

I'm getting the feeling based on the 458, LP700, and Zonda that the best form these days just isn't the best performing one. Bummer. I'd give up some performance for a better look.

The 0-124 number is an abolutely ridiculous farytale. I believe it when other magazines achieve it!

Let´s put some commen sense here guys! How could a car weighing 200kg more and being down on power by more then 200hp(taking the CCX as an example here) be faster to 0-124 by almost half a second??

Impossible, it won´t happen no matter what!

Of course one has to consider the fact that this might very well be a ringer as it woul be quite easy to just nudge up the boost by a little bit....

The 0-124 number is an abolutely ridiculous farytale. I believe it when other magazines achieve it!

Let´s put some commen sense here guys! How could a car weighing 200kg more and being down on power by more then 200hp(taking the CCX as an example here) be faster to 0-124 by almost half a second??

Of course one has to consider the fact that this might very well be a ringer as it woul be quite easy to just nudge up the boost by a little bit....

I don't think the figures quoted in the article are those generated by newspaper but figures released from McLaren. As I keep saying tomorrow we will know more.

if the performance is true then the looks dont matter so much anymore. its certainly not ugly.

also, it will be interesting how it performs in independent tests. I remember Porsche's claim for the CGT 0-124 was 9.9 seconds and the best I saw anyone do was 10.3. Also, will this car be in the same price category as the 458 once its been optioned out?

For once I will actually have to tune in and watch Top Gear!

It's only been years since I've watched, did they get rid of that tall blowhard know-nothing guy and the two other boring guys who are his lackeys? :icon_mrgreen:

I'm with you, but these days thanks to the tech involved physics have been rendered obsolete. :icon_pray:

The 997 Turbo S has been clocked doing high TEN SECOND quarter mile runs, which is "impossible" by any standard or traditional power/weight ratio measurements...yet it does it.

Same with the heavy Nissan GT-R, which produces even more mind-boggling times for the power levels it has.

With the MP4 it seems that dynamite launch control + the best dual clucth transmission yet developed + light weight = insane times. We'll see if it can achieve McLaren's quoted times, but even if it's a little off it's still going to be the fastest car in the segment by a wide margin.

I'm with you, but these days thanks to the tech involved physics have been rendered obsolete. :icon_pray:

The 997 Turbo S has been clocked doing high TEN SECOND quarter mile runs, which is "impossible" by any standard or traditional power/weight ratio measurements...yet it does it.

Same with the heavy Nissan GT-R, which produces even more mind-boggling times for the power levels it has.

With the MP4 it seems that dynamite launch control + the best dual clucth transmission yet developed + light weight = insane times. We'll see if it can achieve McLaren's quoted times, but even if it's a little off it's still going to be the fastest car in the segment by a wide margin.

It will be the fastest car over all not only in it's segment ( excluding the bugatti )

Since the Nissan GTR nothing surprises me, the gearbox makes HUGE difference.

I would still hold my horses crowing it the greatest and the fastest etc, we are yet to see the real figures the LP700 puts down.

Something else I was going to ask, how many of you though LP playboys would take home the ugly chick just because she's better in bed? :icon_mrgreen:

Something else I was going to ask, how many of you though LP playboys would take home the ugly chick just because she's better in bed? :icon_mrgreen:

I can always make it darker! :icon_mrgreen:

light_switch.jpg

Sometimes I don't even check for a pulse, in fact it comes quite far down the list of my "criteria".

But don't bother watching Top Gear. The above report is bogus, they just have it in the studio and open the door.

Amazing numbers, can't wait for real world ones. While the car isn't ugly, it just looks boring in a way. And got a lot of clues from other cars etc.

But at that price and performance, I could certainly learn to live with the looks. I mean, it's no 458!

Amazing numbers, can't wait for real world ones. While the car isn't ugly, it just looks boring in a way. And got a lot of clues from other cars etc.

But at that price and performance, I could certainly learn to live with the looks. I mean, it's no 458!

Words of wisdom :icon_thumleft:

CAR magazine roadtest here. Basically, it's tits. It's curious that the turbocharged car has a more broad-ranging power band than the naturally-aspirated 458.

I know a few people around here have been a bit down on Evo lately - you may want to give CAR a try. It usually matches Evo's photography and beats the news coverage (they go into a lot of depth about industry stuff). Evo gives you more of a feel for the way a car handles, but CAR tends to be better at summing up the whole thing. They also have enormous road trips in every issue.

From the CAR article:

Quite simply, this is the most complete supercar the world has ever seen. Quicker than a McLaren F1, easier to live with than an Audi R8 and more economical than a BMW M3, it rides like an executive saloon when you’re not in the mood but thrills like any supercar should when you are.

Really really impressive. Can't wait until deliveries start.

Really really impressive. Can't wait until deliveries start.

To be so good right out of the gate, with not having done a street car since the SLR, is just incredible.

If this thing is as solid as it appears, how amazing is the F1-successor going to be?? :shock:

Crazy.

To be so good right out of the gate, with not having done a street car since the SLR, is just incredible.

If this thing is as solid as it appears, how amazing is the F1-successor going to be?? :shock:

Crazy.

You know seeing how good this thing apparently is I have to question how much involvement McLaren actually had with the SLR.