McLaren MP4-12C master thread, details

capt_chaos

and the 458 feels quicker..

That's just that, a feeling. You can't possibly feel the different between say 0-60 in 3.0 or 3.2, or 0-300 in 31 or 32 secs etc.

If you can feel the difference between cars where one pulls slowly ahead, and is just in front from 0-200, you have some superawesome built-in organic-VBOX in your head :icon_mrgreen:

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im willing to bet a Balboni from a roll is a good bit faster than the lp560 and lp570..

From a pure engineering standpoint it absolutely should be due to less drive-train loss.

and I am willing to bet that it isn't :icon_mrgreen:

yea the balboni is faster than the 560 from a roll , i raced 2 560 from 70-300 and i was aprox 3 cars ahead

yea the balboni is faster than the 560 from a roll , i raced 2 560 from 70-300 and i was aprox 3 cars ahead

He said 560 and 570, let me clarify, I was talking about the 570, sorry for the misunderstanding :icon_mrgreen:

Light colors really suit this car.

The exhaust note is not very exciting.

and the thing that worries me the most about this car

"It is just a little bit clinical in its method; it doesn't quite set the old ticker on fire when you start to drive it quickly."

To me, it just doesn't look like a supercar from the rear at all? Looks like a 90's Japanese hatchback. I wonder, how can it do quantomfiably or whatever his words was, better than er 458, when the 458 is car of the year so many places:

Top Gear: Car of the Year 2010

Top Gear: Supercar of the Year 2010

What Car? Magazine: Best Performance Car 2011

Daily Telegraph Motor: Car of the Year

CAR Magazine: Performance Car of the Year

Fifth Gear: Fast Car of the Year

MSN Cars: Car if the Year

Auto Express: Performance Car of the Year

Top Gear China: Super Sports Car of the Year

Car Middle East:Car of the Year 2010

and these were only the ones I found in a quick search. I know the MP4 is out this year, and not last year. But is there such a big difference between two cars developed at the same time? I would imagine that "quantomfiably" would mean that on a track, the times would be quantomfiably different too then? Does anyone know if Autocar has compared the two cars in different challenges? Off cause, I am biased as a Ferrari nut. But a british journalist could also be biased towards a british supercar? :D Damn it, I wish I could drive both. Allan, we need you to test drive a MP4 to compare if it really are so much better as Autocar describes it :D

PS: (I'd better put this in here: Mako, I am not giving facts or anything here, trying to sound smart :D Just so an episode like yesterday doesn't arise again, where I presented my opinion as more than just an opinion. This post, is pure opinion, nothing else :D hehe )

as far as looks, McLaren strikes me as a company that does a lot of work with aerodynamics. Sometimes, looks come second to making a car slippery in the wind. There were a lot of comments about speed, and questioning how a car like this could go as fast as it did. Maybe it has to do with its wind cheating abilities.

He said 560 and 570, let me clarify, I was talking about the 570, sorry for the misunderstanding :icon_mrgreen:

im also in on the bet, the 570 will take it! stock vs stock

PS: (I'd better put this in here: Mako, I am not giving facts or anything here, trying to sound smart :D Just so an episode like yesterday doesn't arise again, where I presented my opinion as more than just an opinion. This post, is pure opinion, nothing else :D hehe )

This is actually a decent post, I give it an C+ (your highest grade yet). You are learning...somewhat.

Areas for you to improve on:

Professional paid Brittish journos are far less biased than you are as a closet F-car freakfest, you didn't win any debate points by trying to muddy their well thought out and clear reporting with your fanboy nonsense. It's too much of an insult to those of them who do try hard to report what they see as it's their career to equate them to your obession with Ferrari test-driver used underwear.

It's also perfectly ok that the MP4 is absolutely as good as claimed, and not some cosmic injustice as you're seeming to infer with post after post. This is how progress is made, a car arrives that moves the bar higher and makes the others adapt. It's constant one-upmanship and it's very good for us as consumers. Otherwise we'd all be driving piece of shit 308s the rest of lives.

You were doing well, but the closing argument of "But..but...but...the 458 is the bestest guys! I swear it is! Since they're only a year apart so it must be close! Oh Allan, won't you save me by driving both and declaring a winner??" was weak, it didn't sway me. I didn't find myself thinking "yes this is a good point to consider".

Still, a good post for the most part, your thougths were laid out a little better this time instead of just your normal incessant and annoying "FERRARI FERRARI FERRARI FERRARI" crap. Keep up the good work. :icon_thumleft:

I think I will keep up your edjucation process Hostrup, every post you make that is asinine, belongs on the F-chat cheerleader board, or is just lacking in anything besides fanboy drivel, will be offered as a grade to help you more effectively make your points. :icon_mrgreen:

This is actually a decent post, I give it an C+ (your highest grade yet). You are learning...somewhat.

Areas for you to improve on:

Professional paid Brittish journos are far less biased than you are as a closet F-car freakfest, you didn't win any debate points by trying to muddy their well thought out and clear reporting with your fanboy nonsense. It's too much of an insult to those of them who do try hard to report what they see as it's their career to equate them to your obession with Ferrari test-driver used underwear.

It's also perfectly ok that the MP4 is absolutely as good as claimed, and not some cosmic injustice as you're seeming to infer with post after post. This is how progress is made, a car arrives that moves the bar higher and makes the others adapt. It's constant one-upmanship and it's very good for us as consumers. Otherwise we'd all be driving piece of shit 308s the rest of lives.

You were doing well, but the closing argument of "But..but...but...the 458 is the bestest guys! I swear it is! Since they're only a year apart so it must be close! Oh Allan, won't you save me by driving both and declaring a winner??" was weak, it didn't sway me. I didn't find myself thinking "yes this is a good point to consider".

Still, a good post for the most part, your thougths were laid out a little better this time instead of just your normal incessant and annoying "FERRARI FERRARI FERRARI FERRARI" crap. Keep up the good work. :icon_thumleft:

I think I will keep up your edjucation process Hostrup, every post you make that is asinine, belongs on the F-chat cheerleader board, or is just lacking in anything besides fanboy drivel, will be offered as a grade to help you more effectively make your points. :icon_mrgreen:

I love how you are not even disguising how condescending your post is towards me.. Very direct :) But I can take it, it's an internet board :) All though I don't completely agree with your analysis of my posts (E.g Ferrari ferrari ferrari ferrari). I am a Ferrari fan, but I am first and foremost a exotics enthusiasts, that is why I am a member on different boards with different brands. I just like Ferrari a little better than the rest. And you don't need to drive one, to comment on it's looks. Everyone here seems to do it. And I really don't think the back looks like a supercar, and I am certainly not the only one who thinks so judging from other posts :) - So I don't see the need to single that out as something I shouldn't comment on? Looks is something people comment on a lot here :)

But thank's for the C+ ;) I did get a tad bit higher grades in real life, but I guess good internet grades are harder to come by ;)

I promise, as tempting as it may seem for me to be condescending, those are my actual thoughts about it as an evaluator.

Plus it's good for the lurkers to learn as presenting thoughts and debating from logic seem to be lost arts in the world currently.

Hey C+ is good, that is passing! :eusa_dance:

You're getting better Hostrup, yesterday's revelation from your friend that Ferrari is absolutely full of shit as a company (just as they all are) helps you see that the world is not black and white. There are no truly pure or truly evil factions in life outside of a few extremes...just many shades of grey.

At the end of the day ALL companies have one goal: To take money out of your pocket. Nothing more.

You're on the right track and I'm sure you'll add some great thoughts to the board if you continue presenting well thought out arguments. :icon_thumleft:

A successful F1 program makes TONS for a company. In house R&D from the F1 program helps alot as well (so less expenditure is required on new development, and F1 is DECADES ahead of anything on the street). The MP4-12C is definitely one heck of an entry level model to introduce (to say the least).

No direct F1 money has gone into this project. Sure some F1 funds have gone into some of the resources used at the manufacturing centres but this project and the next two are funded privately - in excess of £800 million.

Sensible outsourcing has been the key here which also is a wakeup to Lambo. The majority of the stuff in this car can be obtained from suppliers!

I wasnt referring to the F1 team directly funding the project. I was referring to McLaren's bottomline.

And most of the materials didnt need to be obtaimed from suppliers, including R&D. As they have stated in many a press release that a lot of their research equipment and engineering came direct from the things they have learned in F1. F1 team involvement in BUILDING and DEVELOPING the CF, aero and tech, surely helped in reducing costs of materials and research since they already knew the majority of what would work as well as had the equipment onsite or in inventory to test it.. Having that ability inhouse without needing to develop an additional R&D department definitely lowers the cost to "get it done"..

THAT IMO is the advantage McLaren has over the mighty VAG and all their money. Mac is WAY ahead.....VAG and Lambo are still learning how to lay a cf weave up at UW while McLaren has been doing it for at least 20yrs...

Is there a point where a car becomes too perfect? Too overly engineered from aerodynamics to raw power?

That would be the Veyron...

will take the balboni or the 458 ?

Im thinking the Balboni will take both the 570 and 458, and those two( 570 and 458) would be dead even looking at the back of the Balboni...

Im thinking the Balboni will take both, and the 570 and 458 dead even....

If I really had to bet based on all the tests that have been done, I'd say the LP570 from a dig would match the 458 with LC, and the 550-2 would be last.

From a roll the 550-2 would be equal to the other two cars, which would also be equal to each other. 3-way tie! :icon_mrgreen:

The driver quality, whoever jumps the 3rd horn blast, whoever is in the right gear at the right rpm, etc, is going to win regardless of the car in this case. You could run 5 tests and have a different winner each time...they're that close with power/weight/grip.

Good to have so many options.

Is this standardized test day on LP? what grade do I get Mako!?!? :icon_mrgreen:

F !!!!!!!!

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Nima is a graduate student of the Mako Acedemy of logical arguments, he is magna Cum Laude! :icon_mrgreen:

this new mclaren humiliated everything not just lambo , nothing out there can touch it except the veyron

How do we know this yet ?

I promise, as tempting as it may seem for me to be condescending, those are my actual thoughts about it as an evaluator.

Plus it's good for the lurkers to learn as presenting thoughts and debating from logic seem to be lost arts in the world currently.

Hey C+ is good, that is passing! :eusa_dance:

You're getting better Hostrup, yesterday's revelation from your friend that Ferrari is absolutely full of shit as a company (just as they all are) helps you see that the world is not black and white. There are no truly pure or truly evil factions in life outside of a few extremes...just many shades of grey.

At the end of the day ALL companies have one goal: To take money out of your pocket. Nothing more.

You're on the right track and I'm sure you'll add some great thoughts to the board if you continue presenting well thought out arguments. :icon_thumleft:

If I may Mako...

If history is to be believed, then the auto company to which this forum is dedicated was formed with very different goals....one-upmanship. :icon_mrgreen: