What books have you been reading lately?

ameer

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

This month I've read:

1.Meditations- Marcus Aurelius ( I cant remember the last time Ive enjoyed reading the thoughts of someone as much as this man. To think he put the ink to paper 2000 years ago amazes me)

2.The richest man in Babylon- George S. Clayson. ( A short read and Ive read it before but I re-read it to brush up on the timeless basic financial principles in the book and the story always entertains me)

3. The power of now- Eckhart Tolle ( I'm not usually one for spiritual/self empowerment books but Tolle has a writing style that speaks directly to me. If you haven't read any of his work I would suggest you give it a read!)

The power of now is really good. Even though it is in the enlightenment/spiritual vein there's a lot of common sense to the basis of the book. His other ones are good too.

This month I've read:

1.Meditations- Marcus Aurelius ( I cant remember the last time Ive enjoyed reading the thoughts of someone as much as this man. To think he put the ink to paper 2000 years ago amazes me)

2.The richest man in Babylon- George S. Clayson. ( A short read and Ive read it before but I re-read it to brush up on the timeless basic financial principles in the book and the story always entertains me)

3. The power of now- Eckhart Tolle ( I'm not usually one for spiritual/self empowerment books but Tolle has a writing style that speaks directly to me. If you haven't read any of his work I would suggest you give it a read!)

The power of now is really good. Even though it is in the enlightenment/spiritual vein there's a lot of common sense to the basis of the book. His other ones are good too.

I was really impressed how he took examples of modern problems and turmoil and by using his reasoning and common sense made them seem very small on the grand scheme of things. Enjoyed it thoroughly.

Just finished Area 51, by anne jacobson. Real info from people who worked there over the years. No aliens, but some very interesting testing, coverups, and shady shit the gov't did/does. Note, can't think of a single shady thing they did that I wouldn't repeat in a second, espionage is sweet.

Just downloaded Race Against the Machine. Should be quick, but delves into how technology is changing the workforce and redefining the worlds economy.

Also want to pick up Adam Corollas new book Not Taco Bell Material. I find him amusing and his stories are interesting, not getting hired at taco bell, etc.

ive been going real oldschool lately.

Lord Byron, shakespear les miserables etc etc

This month I've read:

I don't usually like to read, but I think I will have to check some of those out. Sound interesting.

I don't usually like to read, but I think I will have to check some of those out. Sound interesting.

Meditations was fantastic because it was all about mastering yourself and finding your strength through inner peace. He wrote the 12 books as Emperor when on battlefields and camping with his troops in his later life.

You can read it online here:

http://classics.mit.edu/Antoninus/meditations.html

And here's "The richest man in Babylon"

http://www.maximumlearning.co.uk/the_riche..._in_babylon.pdf

post-10945-1334693640_thumb.png

I'm in the middle of this excellent (very detailed) book about Andrew Carnegie. I was interested to learn more about him both due to his business success, upward mobility, etc and because he is from Scotland and so is my family. This is definitely not a "page-turner" in terms of excitement but it gives great insight into the Gilded Age and the Industrial Revolution. There were some really amazing things going on back then involving business, the railroad system, and iron/steel.

56720696.JPG

Very good autobiography of Joey Giambra "The Uncrowned Champion" based on his life experiences in the world of boxing controlled by the mafia. Took place in the Golden Era of boxing from the 40s, 50s, and 60s. I am half way through the book and it has been great to read.

theheartandthefist.jpg

Fantastic book so far, this guy is amazing. Rhodes Scholar, Duke University, Golden Gloves Boxer, PhD, Humanitarian, Motivational Speaker, Navy SEAL....this guy does it all, and there isn't a bit of arrogance in him.

• 4 weeks later...

This week I've read Outliers & Tipping point both by Malcom Gladwell. I'd highly suggest both.

Outliers really intrigued me in the way that he does an excellent job of showing there is more that contributes to success then the obvious things like IQ & raw talent that we usually chalk it up too. Some of the stories he shares are really interesting.

This week I've read Outliers & Tipping point both by Malcom Gladwell. I'd highly suggest both.

Outliers really intrigued me in the way that he does an excellent job of showing there is more that contributes to success then the obvious things like IQ & raw talent that we usually chalk it up too. Some of the stories he shares are really interesting.

I have read Outliers, and I agree, it is a very good read.

I am reading Cashvertising right now, I highly recommend it if you are into marketing/advertising. Or if you are into internet marketing, which I know some of you are.