Damn, THIS is why you "pop" a warning shot FIRST

Swil

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While this is very sad, you never "pop" a warning shot. You always shoot to stop the threat.

You should always identify your target and anything else that will be put in harms way before you pull the trigger.

Well in that case the guy's a hell of a shot from the bedroom and in the dark, shooting at a shadow down the hall. Identify the target by what, yelling "who's there" or turning on a light??? Either way they're gonna say nothing or run.or shoot at you..Same as a warning shot.

A warning shot at least lets the intruder know you're packing and he has a decision to make: If he's gonna engage in a firefight in a house he knows nothing about, or skip out and mark that house OFF his list of places to return...

AND...............your fiance has a chance to yell, "HEY, its me!!!"

If you buy a gun, you should learn how to use it strategically.

I dont believe in warning shots, if you pull a gun out you should be aiming to kill.

Bullets can penentrate alot of things, including your neighbors home.

That same warning shot can easily kill someone else.

RIP.

Firing a "warning shot" gives away some of your most potent tactical advantages - your position and the element of surprise. Also, as cartman pointed out, bullets will go through walls, ceilings, etc. If you're pulling the trigger, you better know what you're shooting at first. If you're not sure, don't shoot.

All good points. So how do you alleviate something like this happening?? Just chalk it up to a tragedy?? I find that unaccepatable.

I have an 18yr old that rolls into the house sometimes at crazy hours and have thought about this numerous times, and I've always told myself, I would wait as long as I could comfortably wait to identify who's there (no one wants this kind of accident). Fortunately he turns a light on within 2 steps.

So, my vantage point from the bedroom upstairs to the front door is ideal for tact.cover and assualt from behind a stairwell. But once a shot is fired, all bets are off. That person is DEAD!!! Like a sitting duck in a gauntlet even if a 1st shot is missed I have at least 6 more I can let go of before an intruder finds cover (and thats if they know the room). But most times, looking down at that angle, I cant see shit but a silouette... So I've decided I have two choices: to sit until the person is almost on top of me at the top of the stairs (maybe I get time to see if there's more than one), OR a warning shot. The first option, Im not that comfortable with..

Guest SP-superJay
Well in that case the guy's a hell of a shot from the bedroom and in the dark, shooting at a shadow down the hall. Identify the target by what, yelling "who's there" or turning on a light??? Either way they're gonna say nothing or run.or shoot at you..Same as a warning shot.

A warning shot at least lets the intruder know you're packing and he has a decision to make: If he's gonna engage in a firefight in a house he knows nothing about, or skip out and mark that house OFF his list of places to return...

AND...............your fiance has a chance to yell, "HEY, its me!!!"

:iamwithstupid:

I dont own any firearms...but couldnt you just shoot the ground as a warning shot? I can understand that it will give your "enemy" a slight advantage of your whereabouts, but from what I understand...MOST burglars dont want to be detected, and will most likely run if they sense harm or being caught. If it's not a burglar and it's a rapist or something I can understand not wanting to give away your position, but like Swil mentioned, at least he knows he's up for a gun fight. I'd much rather fire off a warning shot, and take my chances going head to head with him rather than kill an innocent being, especially if its someone I love dearly. I wouldnt be able to live with myself knowing I took my love's life. Regardless, owning a firearm is definitely a heavy responsibility, and this is very sad to hear.

First of all you should always have a light on your personal defense weapon. Also, NEVER fire a warning shot. If you fire your firearm in your home and a neighbor calls the cops you will get a fine AND more importantly lose your concealed weapons permit if you have one - law in AZ.

Very unfortunate but the guy is an idiot! Always have a light system on your firearm for home defense and NEVER fire a warning shot.

Put the guy in jail, imho it's stupid that he did this. What if she got out of bed and got something to drink and was still sleepy (so she wasn't paying attention and couldn't hear him) and was walking back towards her bedroom and he shot...

And if you think there is an intruder, the first thing is (atleast I would do this) is touch and wake up your wife and whisper to her '' I think we got an intruder'' or whatever you want to say. Again, he didn't do this either.

And it seems you guys are really scared (of intruders entering your house), is it that easy to break into your homes, you got a lock on your door right or an alarm? If anyone would want to enter my home, well they can't, not that easily and the alarm would go off so they get no chance whatsoever. Only thing they could do is gun me down, but when the alarm goes off that means it's someone who doesn't live here and they better get the hell out of there.

And someone mentioned that the bullets could go through walls and hurt someone else, perhaps a neighbour. Really, is a gun that powerful that it goes through at least 2-3-4 wooden walls ?

Very sad yes. Story seems a little hard to belive though. He doesn't notice that she isn't in bed when he wakes up and hears the "intruder"? And doesn't say anything to the dark figure in the hall just pops around the corner and rips one off? I feel bad for the guy but the whole situation could have gone alot better had he just used some logic rather than spring out of bed and with no questions asked and just shoot the person in the hall. And if he thought his fiancee was sleeping next to him why wouldn't he wake her up to let her know what is going on? I mean if someone is breaking into my house in the middle of the night, I'm waking my wife up and getting all my kids together(if I had them), and then focus on getting the intruder. RIP.

Very sad yes. Story seems a little hard to belive though. He doesn't notice that she isn't in bed when he wakes up and hears the "intruder"? And doesn't say anything to the dark figure in the hall just pops around the corner and rips one off? I feel bad for the guy but the whole situation could have gone alot better had he just used some logic rather than spring out of bed and with no questions asked and just shoot the person in the hall. And if he thought his fiancee was sleeping next to him why wouldn't he wake her up to let her know what is going on? I mean if someone is breaking into my house in the middle of the night, I'm waking my wife up and getting all my kids together(if I had them), and then focus on getting the intruder. RIP.

That was my thought exactly. If I hear someone in my house, 1st step is to grab the gun and the 2nd step is to tell my wife to call 911. Step 2 serves the purpose of getting help on the way and more importantly verifies that my wife is next to me and not walking around the house in the dark. If my wife is in bed, I know the person in the hallway isn't welcome and probably isn't there to borrow sugar.

Swil, as far as having kids that come home late at night, they should know not to come home and sneak around in the dark. When I was old enough to come home after my dad was asleep, I always made plenty of noise and turned on lights as I walked through the house. It allowed my dad to know I made it home safely and also made sure he dad didn't mistake me for a criminal since he slept with a shotgun within reach of his bed.

Never own a gun as a first line of home defense.

My 2 cents...

1. alarm

2. trained dog

3. properly trained in firearm use, proper training (for all people living in the home) when an intruder enters, and proper selection of the type of weapon and ammo.

4. practice often various scenarios of home invasion. In the heat of the moment, only your training will save you /family.

5. pray it never happens

All good points. So how do you alleviate something like this happening?? Just chalk it up to a tragedy?? I find that unaccepatable.

I have an 18yr old that rolls into the house sometimes at crazy hours and have thought about this numerous times, and I've always told myself, I would wait as long as I could comfortably wait to identify who's there (no one wants this kind of accident). Fortunately he turns a light on within 2 steps.

So, my vantage point from the bedroom upstairs to the front door is ideal for tact.cover and assualt from behind a stairwell. But once a shot is fired, all bets are off. That person is DEAD!!! Like a sitting duck in a gauntlet even if a 1st shot is missed I have at least 6 more I can let go of before an intruder finds cover (and thats if they know the room). But most times, looking down at that angle, I cant see shit but a silouette... So I've decided I have two choices: to sit until the person is almost on top of me at the top of the stairs (maybe I get time to see if there's more than one), OR a warning shot. The first option, Im not that comfortable with..

You "alleviate" it with proper training. See my first reply above. You do not fire a warning shot. You know what your target is before you pull the trigger. If you don't know what the target is, you shouldn't be pulling the trigger. If you get the drop on someone and you have your gun drawn, you have an advantage. If you shoot a warning shot and the guy is ducking and weaving you have lost that advantage. Have you tried to hit a running target? It is fairly difficult. Look at all the shootouts with cops where they empty a clip and miss the bad guy. If someone is in my house intending harm, I would like them to be dead, not running down the street, or wounded and ready to sue. I would rather do that with at double tap at a still target than someone ducking behind walls and couches.

This is a general statement, not directed at Swil. If you have a gun for home defense, please get some tactical training on how/why/when to use it. Don't just get a gun and think you are safer. The opposite is probably true. There are lots of news stories (like the one that started this thread) to support this.

Never own a gun as a first line of home defense.

My 2 cents...

1. alarm

2. trained dog

3. properly trained in firearm use, proper training (for all people living in the home) when an intruder enters, and proper selection of the type of weapon and ammo.

4. practice often various scenarios of home invasion. In the heat of the moment, only your training will save you /family.

5. pray it never happens

Sounds great but: In my area, most invaders aren't coming for the family jewelery. They're coming for YOU or someone in your family...

1) Have an alarm, so what, they kick in the door and walk right to your bedroom alarm blaring.

2) Dog gets picked up by its snout and its throat is slashed or its shot dead on the spot (a real criminal doesnt care about a few nicks).

3) Duh, check..

4) Sounds cool but the movie scenario kinda freaks the family out and pisses the wife off.

5) Everyday, all the time.

Firearms in some cases are the ONLY line of defense...

Sounds great but: In my area, most invaders aren't coming for the family jewelery. They're coming for YOU or someone in your family...

1) Have an alarm, so what, they kick in the door and walk right to your bedroom alarm blaring.

2) Dog gets picked up by its snout and its throat is slashed or its shot dead on the spot (a real criminal doesnt care about a few nicks).

3) Duh, check..

4) Sounds cool but the movie scenario kinda freaks the family out and pisses the wife off.

5) Everyday, all the time.

Firearms in some cases are the ONLY line of defense...

A trained dog will bark at a suspicious person, and that can give you a heads up. Not to be underestimated

Don't even have to open it to say this...

IDENTIFY YOUR TARGETS! Anyone who owns a firearm for home defense must have a light attached to it.

It's easy to get esoteric with home defense, and there's a reason for that - it's very complicated. Attaching lights to handguns and clearing your house (effectively and safely) is not as simple as some may think. Many police officers and even military soldiers do it COMPLETELY wrong.

What makes you think you can do it better?

Answer in short is, you really can't. Just hope you can do better than the intruder, without harming any family members.

In short, get a tac. light before you go down the hallway squeezing off shots like a jackass.

RIP

Proper training is key when owning a gun.

Soup - to answer your question - yes - a 22 round can even easily go thru sheetrock, stucco and thru another home and kill a neighbor.

Some advice for rounds for home defense is the rubb tip bullets.

You are always better off detaining the suspect, not killing the suspect - you will have some major headaches even if the intruder is not supposed to be in your home.

Also note a light source ON the firearm will easily blind a person in a dark house - the intruder will just be able to see a white light, will not be able to see your or the firearm which is good.

The light makes sense...My only issue with the light is that you have now exposed your position. From my vantage point in my house, I could drop a person and the other guy (if there's more) wouldnt know where it came from, and would have to expose himself to look before getting drilled as well.

I dunno about you, but when I wake up in the middle of the night I'm dazed and confused. This guy is 60+ yrs old, who knows what his mental capacity was at the time. Probably not in the sharpest state of mind to be handling a firearm. And shooting randomly into the dark? Don't they require firearm training in FL? That has to be rule #1

btw You can't turn on the light at night to ID your target. It takes too long for your eyes to adjust. You need a flashlight

I dunno about you, but when I wake up in the middle of the night I'm dazed and confused. This guy is 60+ yrs old, who knows what his mental capacity was at the time. Probably not in the sharpest state of mind to be handling a firearm. And shooting randomly into the dark?

That was one of the first things I thought too. 60yr old dudes (no offense to those out there) always seem to be a little more "gung-ho" about doing defined stuff when pushed to a brink of a little higher stress. I wondered why he didnt just make sure she was in the bed too. When she's not there, "honey is that you??" problem solved.

And someone mentioned that the bullets could go through walls and hurt someone else, perhaps a neighbour. Really, is a gun that powerful that it goes through at least 2-3-4 wooden walls ?

this should answer your question

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot1.htm

Also a tactical light is a must on a home defense weapon, it distracts and blinds the target and as long as you aren't an idiot and shine it in your own eyes you shouldn't have a problem with your eyes adjusting.

This guy was an idiot and broke some of the main rules of firearms safety, be sure of your target is number 2 on the list only behind allways treat a gun as loaded.

Proper training is key when owning a gun.

Soup - to answer your question - yes - a 22 round can even easily go thru sheetrock, stucco and thru another home and kill a neighbor.

Some advice for rounds for home defense is the rubb tip bullets.

You are always better off detaining the suspect, not killing the suspect - you will have some major headaches even if the intruder is not supposed to be in your home.

Also note a light source ON the firearm will easily blind a person in a dark house - the intruder will just be able to see a white light, will not be able to see your or the firearm which is good.

In Socal, home invasions are increasing and usually these people come with real bullets and will cause harm. I would stick with real bullets and shoot to kill, just get the proper training.

this should answer your question

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot1.htm

Also a tactical light is a must on a home defense weapon, it distracts and blinds the target and as long as you aren't an idiot and shine it in your own eyes you shouldn't have a problem with your eyes adjusting.

This guy was an idiot and broke some of the main rules of firearms safety, be sure of your target is number 2 on the list only behind allways treat a gun as loaded.

Holy shit. A .223 went completely through TWELVE PINE BOARDS

In our home, we've got a tact. shotgun, a .223 M4, two 9MM's, a .45 and a revolver (caliber of which, Im unsure of). All handguns loaded with with a cocktail of ammunition. The first few rounds are not so extreme, then if the target lives to see the end of the mag, he's dodging hydrashok's (basically, if you're in the house with bad intentions, you're completely fucked. After target has been identified as a threat, it is dying. Period.)

1. I dont buy the guy's story. I just dont.

He thought he heard an intruder..... So he goes and gets his gun.... But doesnt bother waking up his fiance?

BULLSHIT

2. Plus one on the "As many other things as you can have"... They buy you time to get to the gun...

I don't have one, but I will have a shotgun loaded with rock salt for the first couple rounds. Pretty non lethal and if they want more, they will get it with rounds three and four. Racking a shotgun will usually make people rethink what they are doing. As for the lady, I think Roman is right. I don't buy it.