2010 F1 thread

capt_chaos

Um, yeah... http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2010/5/10824.html

This sounds like it's got as much chance of happening as the US F1 team.

This Tavo Hellmund doesn't sound like he's got any money.

He can't even seem to come up with the money needed to properly run a junior Nascar series, so where the hell is he going to come up with the 9-figures needed to build an F1 track and pay Bernie his fees???

Yeah, unless someone wants to explain to me where the money, and a LOT of it, is coming from I'll believe this one when I see it.

Formula One returns to the United States

Formula One World Championship Limited and Formula One Administration Limited (together, the F1 Commercial Rights Holder) and Full Throttle Productions, LP, promoter of the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™, announce that a historic agreement has been reached for Austin, Texas to serve as the host city of the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ for years 2012 through 2021.

“We are extremely honoured and proud to reach an agreement with the F1 Commercial Rights Holder. We have been diligently working together for several years to bring this great event to Austin, the State of Texas and back to the United States. All parties involved have a great amount of trust and confidence in each other and are committed to establishing the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ in Austin, Texas as a prestigious global event,” stated Tavo Hellmund, Managing Partner of Full Throttle Productions, LP.

Bernie Ecclestone, President and CEO of the Formula One Group stated: “For the first time in the history of Formula One in the United States, a world-class facility will be purpose-built to host the event. It was thirty years ago that the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ was last held on a purpose-built permanent road course circuit in Watkins Glen, NY (1961-1980), which enjoyed great success. Since then, Formula One has been hosted by Long Beach, Las Vegas, Detroit, Dallas and Phoenix all on temporary street circuits. Indianapolis joined the ranks of host cities in 2000 when they added a road course inside the famed oval. Lewis Hamilton won the last Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ in 2007, signalling the end to eight years at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. This however, will be the first time a facility is constructed from the ground up specifically for Formula One in the US.”

Mr. Hellmund added: “This is a case of the right timing in the right place. As many Americans know, Austin has earned a reputation as one of the ‘it’ cities in the United States. Austin features that rare combination of ideal geographic location and beauty. Its fine dining, world-renowned hospitality and excellent transportation infrastructure make Austin ideally suited to host and manage an event of this magnitude. Few cities if any in America could rival the connectivity of all the key elements needed for hosting a Formula 1 event as well as Austin. Now, many people around the world will have the opportunity to experience a world-class event, facility and city.”

“We are pleased Texas has the opportunity to be involved with Formula 1 and that an event of this magnitude is coming to Austin,” said Susan Combs, Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts. “It has been a pleasure working with Full Throttle Productions, LP and Mr. Hellmund on this project. Their tradition of producing successful major events coupled with a thirty year relationship with Mr. Ecclestone has us looking forward to this worldwide event and the benefits it will bring, including local job creation, increased tourism and a significant economic impact added to our state economy. The visibility and prestige of this event will spotlight our state on an international stage.”

Texas Governor Rick Perry conveyed his enthusiasm for the project, explaining “Texas’ relatively strong economy continues to draw both national and international attention and I commend Comptroller Combs for her work in bringing this exciting event to the Lone Star State.”

City of Austin Mayor Lee Leffingwell continued the positive sentiments, adding "The City of Austin will be proud to host this magnificent event and I look forward to welcoming the participants and fans of Formula One to our City."

Full Throttle Productions, LP acknowledges with great appreciation the efforts of all parties involved including Bernie Ecclestone, President and CEO of the Formula One Group, and the local and state officials of Texas.

“It has been a shared vision and monumental task to reach this agreement. We realize that over the last 30 years there have been one or two missing pieces from the previous editions of the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™. We have a tremendous opportunity at hand to do it right - to feature Austin as the backdrop and produce the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ as one of the great sporting events in the world,” stated Hellmund.

In addition to the State of Texas being the 11th strongest economy in the world, it has more Fortune 500 company headquarters than any other state. Key features of Austin include:

- State capital nicknamed ‘Silicon Hills’ for being one of the most important regions in the US for the Technology Industry;

- USA’s 15th largest city and is located 145 miles from Houston (4th largest US city), 70 miles from San Antonio (7th largest US city), and 180 miles from Dallas (8th largest US city), population in this triangle is over 22 million;

- perfectly located geographically for North, South and Central American visitors;

- over 130 daily departing international flights within 180 miles;

- over 250,000 hotel rooms within 180 miles;

- desirable year-round climate, with an average annual temperature of 68 degrees Fahrenheit (20 Celsius);

- geographically located in the Texas Hill Country, easily the most beautiful city in the State, and considered one of the most in the US;

- hotels/downtown/Formula 1 circuit/airport located within close proximity of each other, which is nearly impossible for any other large city in the US;

- world class night life entertainment along renowned ‘Sixth Street’; and

- large film industry presence - many movies filmed in the area.

Austin’s National Recognition

- Known as “The Live Music Capital of the World”

- Voted “Greenest City in America” (MSN)

- Voted “Least Stressful Large Metro” in the United States (Forbes)

- Voted Top Two “Best Cities” in the United States (Money Magazine)

- Voted Top Three “Hippest Cities” in the United States (Forbes)

- Voted Top Five “Safest Cities” in the United States (Forbes)

- Voted Top Ten “Sports & Fitness Cities” in the USA (Sports Business Journal)

Full Throttle Productions, LP is an Austin, Texas, special event and sports production company that provides event conception, event project management, day of event oversight, staffing and volunteer services, venue planning and logistics support.

More information on the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ will be forthcoming shortly. In the meantime, all queries should be directed to [email protected].

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those that quite like Jenson's girlfriend and fancy their chances... well she is single now.

Turkey qualie

No way, sweet little Jessica is on the market? I thought those two would have gone the distance.

No way, sweet little Jessica is on the market? I thought those two would have gone the distance.

Yeah way. PS up till now I have just thought of her as a sweetie until I google imaged her.

Sweet lord.

Snigger

I was switching between that and the football and flicked back in time to see the Red Bulls spining and thought "What the fcuk has Hamilton done now?"

Still not sure who is at fault there.

Happy Birthday Jim lad btw.

Yeah, the news reports are interesting between the two.

And thanks mate. A MW win would have been a geat present.

nice race

the battle btw Button and Hamilton was great to watch

a pity somebody told them to STOP THAT QUICK (....they had not enough fuel apparently ;) )

p.s. despite all his hand gestures, it was Vettel's fault on the accident

So Jensen loses his girl and then Lewis turns around and is engaged to his girl? and wins the race? Still a great 1-2 for them, sucks that they did have to conserve fuel but that is what RedBull is forcing them to do in order to keep up and it paid off. In my honest opinion after watching, I think it may have been Vettel suddenly just swerving a bit to the right and Webber just not going to budge one bit. Who's to have more of the blame? I cant say for certain but let the rumors fly from now till Canada.

What a boring shocker of a race. I was always critical of Ham in the past, but he is the best driver in F1 bar none.

As for Vettel, sorry kids, but I'm sticking with him on this one. He had the inside line, he was faster, Mark knew he was gonna lose the lead and the right thing to do would have been to give him some room and try to get him on the next lap. Instead, he just parked his car in the middle of the track and forced Vettel to hit him.

It was a bitch move, but what are you gonna do?

What a boring shocker of a race. I was always critical of Ham in the past, but he is the best driver in F1 bar none.

As for Vettel, sorry kids, but I'm sticking with him on this one. He had the inside line, he was faster, Mark knew he was gonna lose the lead and the right thing to do would have been to give him some room and try to get him on the next lap. Instead, he just parked his car in the middle of the track and forced Vettel to hit him.

It was a bitch move, but what are you gonna do?

Lots of people (including Horner) are looking at Vettel being at fault, after all he did not have the racing line and moved right too soon.

I think the pair are both to blame, they should not be in that position, Webber was playing it cool, keeping his powder dry, preserving the car and Vettel was uneasy over the McLarens pace in his mirrors so wanted to push on.

I thought the brief tussle between Ham and But showed that they are two different drivers but both very classy.

I think Hamilton was told to cool it and preserve fuel before Button turned up on his wing but I want them to really go for it one race because that sequence of corners and straight were fantastic to watch.

Am I the only one that is building up this impossibly illogical hatred of the red bulls in fact Horner in particular.

Am I the only one that is building up this impossibly illogical hatred of the red bulls in fact Horner in particular.

I'm not quite that far along, but I've never been at all fond of Red Bull despite the fact that they're the closest to being my home team (my dad lives in Milton Keynes so I'm up there pretty often). And it's totally irrational. The only cause I can figure out is Christian Horner's horrendous hair and terrifying teeth.

Vettel is an ass!

You could clearly see his left front wheel departing from the white line towards the middle of the track when the next turn was a left hander.

The only cause I can figure out is Christian Horner's horrendous hair and terrifying teeth.

He has this smug factor that Ron Dennis has, like I have just urinated into your shoes and now you have to wear them type smug grin. It is really apparent when they talk about the team, ride height and qualifying.

I don't know. I watched the replay a couple of times and IMHO it seems to be both drivers fault almost 50/50. Vettel probably should not have tried to pass ( But on the flip side, why not?) but Mark knowing that Vettel had an obvious speed advantage, which he admitted during the post race interview, should have given a little more room. If he was indeed holding off some to save the car, then he should have given it his all when he saw that Vettel was pushing. While they are on the same team, they are still going for an individual Drivers title.

The swerve itself did not seem to be intentional. It seems that when they were wheel to wheel Vettels tire came in contact with Marks tire and Vettel ended up with the short end of the stick and his tire locked sending him to the right, causing the eventual crash.

Just my opinion.

Some reports are saying it seems that Webber was told to conserve fuel.

What is interesting is that it is unclear Vettel was told the same and if so did he ignore.

Horner has changed track and his pointing towards

"Seb had top-speed advantage and went down the inside and I was thinking about the braking point. We were still a way from the corner. He came to the right pretty fast and it looked like he turned pretty quickly right.

We were wheel to wheel at that point and there was no real give. It was not a major contact but at that speed it was a massive problem for us"

"We'd done everything right. We'd out-thought McLaren and to see both cars crash out is very disappointing. They should never have been where they were and they have cost the team a great deal of points.

Mark had changed down to a fuel-saving mode which lost us a little bit of performance in the straight and that also explains how Sebastian got a clear run on him.

Seb managed to save an extra kilo of fuel, both cars started with the same fuel, so he had one more lap of the optimum engine mode, if you like.

We could not tell him to back off because he was under pressure from Hamilton behind.

The large mistake was that not enough room was given.

We always ask drivers to give each other room, but we handed 43 points on a plate to McLaren. We had two guys racing hard, but you ask that they give each other space.

Mark has put Seb on the dirty side, he gave him just enough room and Seb cut across aggressively. He was a long way down the side but neither yielded and the net result is everybody loses.

Our priority is that we want to win the race, even if the cars had changed position we were still first and second.

Now I think I know why he is siding with Vettel and that is the team owners like Vettel and like having a young fellow countrymen at the wheel and the rumours of Webber moving off are not entirely about as a result of Webber's people talking to the press.

A number of factors I think are telling are that Horner wanted a 1-2 and Vettel could not be told to back off because of the McLarens, so what would passing his team mate achieve here?

Webber in fuel saving against the pressure of Lewis "I will take you anywhere" Hamilton which would not equal a 1-2 for Red Bull.

With Marko and Horner publicly blaming Webber they have shot themselves in the foot. They have told everyone that Vettel is their guy, he is the number one in the team so Webber might as well not bother. Two poor results from him and he will not care about the manufacturer title as the two at the top don't care for him.

He didn't have to leave any room for Vettel but Vettel went on the dirty part of the track anyway and he hit Webber.

Lost in translation in a second language or not he has said this...

We were all pretty much same conditions, same pace, and I felt I was able to go quicker. I was able to come closer the last two or three laps. I was just trying to get the braking point and suddenly I lost the car. You can see we touched.

I'm not the kind of guy who pushes the fault to one guy. We are a team and we have to respect that.

You can carry on about whose fault the crash is for days, the biggest problem is the team. Webber had fought for nearly 40 laps to keep the Maclaren behind him even though they were significantly faster in a straight line. He had done all the hard work and deserved the win. His team tells him to conserve the engine and fuel, yet then tell his team mate that has been sitting back all race to have a go at him for one lap before he has to turn down his engine. That's pretty poor form from my point of view. That will be Webber's biggest complaint

During the beginning of the season I really liked Vettel much more than Webber, but that has shifted entirely now.

During the beginning of the season I really liked Vettel much more than Webber, but that has shifted entirely now.

:iamwithstupid:

I like the interview at the end.

This was the same race that he was in P2 and was vomiting in his helmet.