Discuss: Toyota is the best manufacturer of cars on the planet

joebiz

Enough said really... :P

Toyotas range is much larger than Fords, probably not in the US market but on a worldwide scale its range is probably the largest using only the Toyota badge i.e. not including Lexus. I am not that clued up on GM's range as they have too many brands.

And yes they make reliable cars but number 1 manufacturer I am not too sure about.

Most reliable and best are two different things, of course.

I'd take a Toyota over any American offering up until the last few years - (aside from Plastic mess-06 or Tahoe). GM's quality has been crap since the 70s. Dodge isn't much better. Ford tops the list for me for American cars manufacturers.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ford might be the real winner in this whole shakedown.

I read through the TARP report. It's bleak that we'll ever see a ROI on our investment. This guy is better at condensing and articulating the major issues. Not fun reading.

http://www.autofinancenews.net/profiles/bl...chrysler-new-gm

Basically, at no point can GM have a market cap large enough to be able to cover it's debt, after adjusting for inflation and interest.

To me, the biggest "tell" is secondary resale values, and nobody can argue that Toyotas and Hondas aren't amazing on depreciation. I see 3 year old Camrys selling for 70% of new price, all the time. That's incredible. Hondas, even more so. I see 10 year old Accords for 50% of their new price pretty frequently.

What is a Chevy Malibu worth @ 1 year? 3 years?

Ford cut costs and they'll walk away from this smelling like a rose, if they can get through the ABSecuritization glut.

Toyota and Honda. Still the co-Best.

I owned few Toyotas, best resale out there but far from being the best!

I had a Landcruiser Prado, brand new car I drove off the lot I felt a vibration after 100 km/h, few weeks later I took the car back and complained about the noise, it was the tailshaft ,after lots of backwards and forwards they admitted that they were aware of the situation and that all of them had this problem, they were trying to insulate the floor pan so I won't hear the noise anymore :lol2:

I bought a work vehicle with a tray back very popular here Hilux 2.7L 4 Cyl VVT-i engine manual, that car was absolutely shocking on fuel, it used to waste as much as my Lambo this is not a joke, I called Toyota the guy that answer the phone was trained to reply to my questions, he had a comeback for whatever I was trowing at him, than I realized this is common, I asked few other guys and they all bitched about the fuel consumption.

Now the best part, I drove the Prado for 1 year done 80,000 km and sold it for $5k less than what I paid for, I auctioned the Hilux after 6 months and lost $1500.

There is no brand on the road more bland than Toyota. Yack.

As far as the Ford F-150, add up the number of Silverados and Sierras sold in a year's time, and get back to me. I don't see how the Tahoe/Freshcalade can be the best SUV since sliced bread, but the trucks are inferior to the F-150.

As much as folks love to hate on the big 3, there's no denying the performance of the CTS-Vs and C0RVETTES, or the 180° turnaround of quality seen in the CTS, Malibu, and Buick models, and the Volt is on the way.

We can't leave out Ford, Praise be to Allah, they have finally put some nuts back into the Mustang with the new 5 liter. This coupled with the new Taurus, Fusion, and hopefully a decent motor in the new SuperDuty, perhaps some haters will be muzzled.

I heard Chrysler is putting fuel injection on the Hemi for 2010.

Ford might be the real winner in this whole shakedown.

I read through the TARP report. It's bleak that we'll ever see a ROI on our investment. This guy is better at condensing and articulating the major issues. Not fun reading.

http://www.autofinancenews.net/profiles/bl...chrysler-new-gm

Basically, at no point can GM have a market cap large enough to be able to cover it's debt, after adjusting for inflation and interest.

To me, the biggest "tell" is secondary resale values, and nobody can argue that Toyotas and Hondas aren't amazing on depreciation. I see 3 year old Camrys selling for 70% of new price, all the time. That's incredible. Hondas, even more so. I see 10 year old Accords for 50% of their new price pretty frequently.

What is a Chevy Malibu worth @ 1 year? 3 years?

Ford cut costs and they'll walk away from this smelling like a rose, if they can get through the ABSecuritization glut.

Toyota and Honda. Still the co-Best.

Yes and Consumer reports and JD powers does validate Toyota/Lexus, I cant post the consumer reports as I have a log in..

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/articles/2009...-Results/page-2

This morning on the news, they reported Stan Chesley (huge blood sucking lawyer here in cincy with a helluva collection of incredible cars) has filed a class action suit against Toyota for this. Currious to see where this goes....

out of tm or hmc, i choose honda.

vw is the best, range every car market there is and are great, not always the best, but great in all of them.

If you're not at all concerned about reliability. Sure they are.

The accelerator pedal made in Japan (Denso) is not having sticking issues.

The one made in US/Canada by CTS is sticky.

On a side note, CTS produces accelerator pedals for many manufacturers. Be looking for more recalls from other car companies.

The other recall is to shave to bottom of the pedal. But if you keep the original mat hooked to the floor, and don't double stack your mats, there wouldn't be a problem anyway.

I'm not so sure that you'll see recalls from other companies. I work for Honda and the information we were just given says that we do buy some pedals from CTS, however , they are not the same part and do not have the same issue that the model # that went Toyota does. Essentially, not the same internals, no issues so far on our end.

I think that this whole thing is a conspiracy, seeded by the UAW fertilized by our unrecoverable investment in the General. I really, truly believe this. Pick on me if you'd like.

I think that this whole thing is a conspiracy, seeded by the UAW fertilized by our unrecoverable investment in the General. I really, truly believe this. Pick on me if you'd like.

:iamwithstupid: And i know you arent alone in this thought. Its either the Senators or Reps of Indiana and Kentucky who are taking action against this exact thought.

:iamwithstupid: And i know you arent alone in this thought. Its either the Senators or Reps of Indiana and Kentucky who are taking action against this exact thought.

lots of people are saying that this is a problem, but usually wouldn't be a big deal, but given the investment the government has in the bad automakers, they are trying to milk this for all they can

Tell that to the people who have family members who have died because of stuck accelerator pedals.

You think that is conspiracy?

Tell that to the people who have family members who have died because of stuck accelerator pedals.

Ford has had more problems than Toyota has with this same issue, in fact I heard on the news that the California Highway Patrol swapped out their accellerator pedals on all their patrol cars for the same reason, but that was kept on the down low...not to say Toyota doesnt have their problems, but its being spun into something else. Also put the car in neutral, car slows and stops..no big deal its happend to me before.

I don't think it's a true conspiracy, I think toyota has a real problem here. That being said I think the goverment and their willing

accomplishes in the media are making as much hay out of this as they can. Like I told someone the other day, I still trust toyota

more than the goverment. Toyota actions have financial ramifications, where as the goverment can do what it likes without any

consequences.

In a typical day 100 people are killed on our roads in traffic accidents. More than 419,000 have died in traffic crashes over the past decade.

Over the same decade 21,110 people have been killed in Toyota vehicles. 1998-2008 NHTSA data has confirmed that these deaths had NOTHING to do with technology, faulty vehicles, or otherwise.

According to various reports 19 deaths have been associated with Toyota's gas pedal problem. Even though the claim states that the 19 deaths were linked to the defect, it in no way implies that it was the main factor.

At the end of the day, safety is about good driving habits. The next time you worry about a recall, just look at that 16 year old next to you texting on thier cell phone while on the freeway.

I'm not trying to discount any death or tragedy. I just want to express that the odds of dying in or from a "runaway" Toyota are not much different than being struck by lightning.