Olympics Thread - All Things Vancouver Olympics

lambo1

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you know what?

I am not convinced there is another sporting festival in the world that is as boring as the Winter Olmypics. Honestly I came home and the options to watch were Curling and Biathalon.

So that is sliding a stone across ice or watching someone going through the same body motion for hours on end then the breathlessly shoot at some discs. And you get a medal for that?

If spent the afternoon watching either of those fcuking sports I would expect a medal for it.

Then look at some of the other events.

Now luge, okay, one guy died, it is sad, there are some outstanding jokes on the subject.

But when all is said and done it is a sport gravity does all of the fcuking work whilst you wear a Lycra suit whilst lying on a tray whilst sliding down a fcuking icey path.

Bobsleigh is the same but you brought some mates along for the gay spandex ride.

Ice Skating. Really? That is not a sport, that is mincing about without falling over.

Snowboarding/Skiing. Now no way should a the words Olympic should be associated with sports whereby you strap some poles to your extremities and then tuck yourself into a crouched position whilst again gravity does the job for you.

Now come on.

Seating here scratching my nuts I could come up with some better more worthy events.

:eusa_wall:

I can understand someone questioning the athleticism behind curling, but the rest of what you said wins bronze in the Most Rediculous Thing on LamboPower this week, right behind the "can you see the UFO" photo and AmberLamps....

I ski once in a while, and ill be honest, I cannot for the life of me fathom the skill and BALLS thats needed to go 130 km/h down the side of a mountain without dying, let alone doing it with the precision and class they do it with.

I hope you can skate like a god to discount ice skating like that.

Do you know what?

I am not convinced there is another sporting festival in the world that is as boring as the Winter Olmypics. Honestly I came home and the options to watch were Curling and Biathalon.

So that is sliding a stone across ice or watching someone going through the same body motion for hours on end then the breathlessly shoot at some discs. And you get a medal for that?

If spent the afternoon watching either of those fcuking sports I would expect a medal for it.

Then look at some of the other events.

Now luge, okay, one guy died, it is sad, there are some outstanding jokes on the subject.

But when all is said and done it is a sport gravity does all of the fcuking work whilst you wear a Lycra suit whilst lying on a tray whilst sliding down a fcuking icey path.

Bobsleigh is the same but you brought some mates along for the gay spandex ride.

Ice Skating. Really? That is not a sport, that is mincing about without falling over.

Snowboarding/Skiing. Now no way should a the words Olympic should be associated with sports whereby you strap some poles to your extremities and then tuck yourself into a crouched position whilst again gravity does the job for you.

Now come on.

Seating here scratching my nuts I could come up with some better more worthy events.

You are so right. Have you heard about the Summer Olympics? I hear it's just a bunch of people running for different lengths of time, or sometimes even jumping or throwing things!? It must pretty easy, right? I heard they also swim? And dive!? Wow... :jackoff:

Seriously dude...if you break down ANY sports to the level you did...YES...they are (almost) all very simple things taken to extreme levels of precision and speed. Don't get your panties in a bunch because as I kid you were not bio-mechanically gifted to do any of this in any sort of sports in a reasonable fashion.

I've been doing sports all my life, some of them for a very long time (I'm 26, and I've skied for 23 of those years, and although I've never trained for it, I've tried doing slalom and GS gates before...and it's quite challenging, let alone doing them at the speed and accuracy they are doing them), others for a shorter times (did my first marathon this year in 3h56min....qualifying for Boston: 3h20 last time I checked. World record!? 2h3minutes...that's 26 MILES!!!! it's only running, right!?), and after all these years of trying many different sports, I've gained a LOT of respect for the dedication, discipline and time put towards obtaining a gold medal or a world championship for athletes.

I see your "point"...but it is extremely primitive and degrading to these people IMO.

Captain, I think you overly-summarized things a bit. :) For one thing, working with or against gravity (depends on how one looks at it) on a slippery surface with precision and control is no easy task at all.

And if we were to apply your interpretation on other sports, then wouldn't football, soccer, ruby, basketball, baseball or golf (the list can go on and on) be termed as grown men or women merely kicking, hitting, throwing, chasing after balls of various sizes and shapes? Wouldn't F1 be simply men trying to roll on four wheels as fast as they could?

I hope you can skate like a god to discount ice skating like that.

Shut down the internet because we have found the funniest thing written with a soupçon of sexuality preference questioning from its author.

Whilst I admit I do have an ability to break things down to a core level (eg The Shawshank Redemption; a film that dodges the real story about prison love between two blokes.) I just think the need for the Winter games really needs to be questioned

For me the Summer Olympics is the proper thing, the Winter games is just a mincey add on to appease people that live in cold places.

Running the 100m is a pure athleticism event. No other real element is added into it.

But the only thing that comes near to it in the winter events is speed skating.

Whilst people competing in the majority of the winter sports are no without question fit, no doubt have some balls to carry out their event, it is still fcuking boring to watch and still have gravity and friction to assist them.

Look at Downhill mountain biking. Not an Olympic sport but in context of athletic ability it requires more than Downhill skiing and I know which one I would rather watch too.

Now if they had the 100m race across some really deep snow with no skis that would be comedy gold plus the competitors will be built like this

NicerQuads.jpg

Lovely.

I actually dont find anything really exciting to watch, except basketball and hockey when I am rooting for one of the teams. Even F1 is pretty boring when unless its REALLY close. I dont see how the summer olympics are any more exciting than the winter ones. who cares how far you can throw a pole? or a disk? and triple jump, what the hell is that?

most sports are boring to watch, unless you're rooting for someone. and in the case of the winter and summer games its usually your country.

most sports are boring to watch, unless you're rooting for someone. and in the case of the winter and summer games its usually your country.

Yes, but there are other stories about athletes who go through there young lives with one dream and to capture a medal representing their country for national glory captivates many people. I am not a down hill skiing fan, but to watch Vonn cry when she won the gold was heartfelt.

There arent too many competitions where the world gets together in one place, puts behind ideology, and competes solely for sport. That to me is the essence of the Olympics.

NicerQuads.jpg

Lovely.

Who the hell is this!?!? :shock: I wonder what sports she does...speed skating!?!?

some of the canadian players need to get slapped upside their heads. we played so well and got SO MANY chances, yet in this game and the last one against Switzerland a few of the players were the downfall of the team.

I can't believe I missed the game...

I can't believe what happened in that game.

you guys have a hell of goalie.

I don't know if can handle watching anymore, my blood pressure and heart rate were through the roof.....but it ain't over yet.

I can't believe what happened in that game.

you guys have a hell of goalie.

I don't know if can handle watching anymore, my blood pressure and heart rate were through the roof.....but it ain't over yet.

Miller saved the game for team USA. It was one of the best games I've ever witnessed. The guys played HARD, from both teams. This is what hockey should be like.

IOC wants to protect a clean image of sport. Beer guzzling, Cigar smoking women this does not portray.

Hey that's our women for ya...........we're just used to it :icon_mrgreen:

What a good game. Is this the first time both women and men won gold in hockey?

Good for Canada. Host nation won lots of gold. So much better than the past two olympics.

Again.....Great for Canada.

What a good game. Is this the first time both women and men won gold in hockey?

Good for Canada. Host nation won lots of gold. So much better than the past two olympics.

Again.....Great for Canada.

Thank you! :icon_thumleft:

A great ending for our Winter Olympic Games. And of course, the entire City of Vancouver is going wild right now.

It was a great hockey game and US team made a great come back and put up a good fight.

Congrats Canada. Dominating hockey and winning the medals that really matter! :)