I really need to buy a new gun...

Roman

Sorry Stig I was wrong. It was a 14.5in with a flash hider NOT an 11.

The standard M4 Type Carbine features a permanently fixed "Izzy" flash suppressor attached to a 14.5 in (370 mm) barrel which brings the barrel to a total length of 16 in (410 mm).

I still believe it was a screw on that was then pinned and welded over.

Couple links to help if you go that route:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/archive...p/t-309561.html

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3...=4&t=228886

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did I answer everyone's questions?

Yes it will be going on a Form 1. Yes I will be having it engraved with the name and location of my trust. I do agree that you should go with the nicest lower possible. Since I was building this on the cheap just to see how it goes I broke that rule. The lower and the upper have the same manufacturer. If I love it I saved some money. If I hate it I will sell it (the lower included) and have an SBR that matches top and bottom. Like I said I am going to be into this for like $800 including the tax stamp (before any badass furniture or optics) so I am sure I can recoup that no problem.

As for the Form 1 I see David said the BATFE is returning Forms 1 that list it as "Multi Caliber". Is that true and did they give a reason? I could in theory run this as a 5.56/223 as well as a 9mm, 40sw or 45acp. as well as a whole host of other calibers (300blk, 6,8spc). I would hate to be restricted to only 5.56/223.

Also did we ever get resolution on the overall length question? For instance this will have a 6 position stock. Do I measure the shortest OAL possible (collapsed) or the longest (fully extended)?

Thanks guys!

Regarding Multi Caliber - If you fill out multi caliber on the SBR form they will ask you to correct it and send back the form. On the SBR form just put exactly what your lower states (556/223). You will not get kicked back but have to do the form correction which can add time instead of just getting approved. If you want to do multi caliber with the SBR lower docs you simply want to do the multi caliber as a separate page doc (FFL will know what you are talking about). Easy process.

In looking at my AR build ideas, I'm at a crossroads: Those of you who have done tactical AR training, is a 16" barrel kosher? Does the 14.5 really make a difference and justify the SBR red tape and $?

(BTW, I sold the AK and am now coming back to the dark side). :D

Alot of guys still run 16" for tactical training - some feel they get on target faster - from one target to another and feel that they can "drive" the gun better as a 16" This is all personal preference. Doing CQB or suppressor then some opt for SBR. I would not bother doing a SBR for a 14.5" If you are doing an SBR do 10.5"

I would not bother doing a SBR for a 14.5" If you are doing an SBR do 10.5"

Agreed. 14.5" doesn't justify the hassle/expense of the tax stamp. 10.5" gives you the shortest possible barrel length while maintaining "decent" ballistics. My nicest .223 AR SBR is a 10.5", and my next project is a 10.5" ACR.

• 3 weeks later...

I broke my MPA 9mm today.... Bent the upper receiver in a vice... So I had to fix it... I RULE!

a recent pic and Comp-Tac sent me this nice set up!

post-10287-1376423612_thumb.jpg

post-10287-1376423676_thumb.jpg

To revive this thread.. I just bought a Glock 33 357 sig, Glock 19 Gen 4, and Mossberg 12 gauge Blackwater... juuuust in case.

I have a USP-C in 357 Sig but after about 6 months I decided to stick a 40 barrel in it and never went back. Ammo was much more of a PITA and the 40 is just more pleasant to shoot for me, but I can see where others may have different opinions.

I have a USP-C in 357 Sig but after about 6 months I decided to stick a 40 barrel in it and never went back. Ammo was much more of a PITA and the 40 is just more pleasant to shoot for me, but I can see where others may have different opinions.

You are absolutely right. It was PITA just to find a 357 Glock 33. I got the 9mm Glock 19 only because the 9mm rounds are available anywhere.

So will this UN Arms Trade Treaty affect gun rights in any way? I know they say that the Senate will never ratify it, but I've read some saying it could still be used to infringe on gun rights in certain ways via changes the President could make to the enforcement of certain laws. Is this true?

So will this UN Arms Trade Treaty affect gun rights in any way? I know they say that the Senate will never ratify it, but I've read some saying it could still be used to infringe on gun rights in certain ways via changes the President could make to the enforcement of certain laws. Is this true?

Relax.

If you need practice targets, here are good offerings of fugly hipsters from Helsinki.

http://www.hel-looks.com

That needs to be posted in the LOL thread.... But it doesnt belong in this one...

Any AK owners? Recommendations?

Before the Obamanator, I bought my WASR-10 in the Cabela's parking lot, outta some guys trunk, from an ad on craigslist, for $300 cash. You know, exactly the type of scenario demonized by the investigative reporting shows.

It's what a WASR-10 is supposed to be: inexpensive, basic, somewhat clunky and loose, and goes bang every single time.

It's what a WASR-10 is supposed to be: inexpensive, basic, somewhat clunky and loose, and goes bang every single time.

I know what you mean. I wish we could get back to the times of sub-$400 WASR-10s...but those times are long gone I'm afraid. A WASR-10 is exactly what I'm looking for though, nothing fancy. If I can find one at $600 or less I'm a buyer all day long. They're getting closer and closer to that point at least.

a recent pic and Comp-Tac sent me this nice set up!

Nice! Are you a lefty?

Mind sharing what your kit consists of? I have been in the market for a plate carrier and accessories but not sure where to start.

Also, is this a hobby for you or a profession?

Nice! Are you a lefty?

Mind sharing what your kit consists of? I have been in the market for a plate carrier and accessories but not sure where to start.

Also, is this a hobby for you or a profession?

Yes I am a lefty.

For a kit - their are some great deals out there. Depends what you are going to really want to accoomplish with a kit. But in general and for the money I would recommend this: http://lbtinc.com/vest-h-gear-carriers/pla...te-carrier.html

I also run this belt - http://lbtinc.com/extra-large-padded-equip...belt-11269.html and have this belt - which I prefer http://www.highspeedgearinc.com/proddetail...SGPB&cat=18 and this under ttp://www.highspeedgearinc.com/proddetail.php?prod=HSG-Cobra1.5

I think we discussed this on this thread before but will make a quick run down of what I use on kit/belt:

By far the best mag (pistol and Carbine) pouches I have used. I can go from 556 to 762 to AK mags on my kit without doing anything! Same with the pistol mags from 1911 single stack to glock 34 mags. http://www.highspeedgearinc.com/proddetail...TACO&cat=34

Blowout kit - if you are going to be wearing a kit you must have a blowout kit. I have one that I can access with either arm. Some guys like to put their kit in the side leg pocket. I personally like it on my kit. I also run two TQ's - one where it is easy access where I do not have to unzip or open anything and one in my kit. Here is a link about a kit - http://www.itstactical.com/medcom/medical/...a-blow-out-kit/

Something to write with and paper - should be somewhere on your kit.

If you do not have a knife on you then you may put one on the kit - I prefer fixed.

hydration - I run a camelback on mine.

This is pretty basic but again I gave my personal kit details on here I think in the past. Hope this is a start.

Ive got the obligatory WASR10 and a yugo I built myself....

If you have the tools the homebuilt will be more sentimental....

milled if you want "the best" ak, ive had luck with Arsenal, Norinko's, Bulgarian builds, etc..

Before the Obamanator, I bought my WASR-10 in the Cabela's parking lot, outta some guys trunk, from an ad on craigslist, for $300 cash. You know, exactly the type of scenario demonized by the investigative reporting shows.

I've had a few WASR's as well, always worked for me! i also got them for $300-ish, i laugh when i see them for $800+ recently

milled if you want "the best" ak, ive had luck with Arsenal, Norinko's, Bulgarian builds, etc..

I've had a few WASR's as well, always worked for me! i also got them for $300-ish, i laugh when i see them for $800+ recently

I sometimes wonder what my gun collection is worth now... My guess is it has doubled in value in the last few years.....

Ive got the obligatory WASR10 and a yugo I built myself....

If you have the tools the homebuilt will be more sentimental....

Are all 'Yugo's going to be a PAP rifle? And are all PAP rifles Zastava M70s?

$69 lower.....$69 lower. Through 9-3.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Aero-Precision-...-p/ap501102.htm

FYI, Primary Arms also has a good deal on Gen II PMags right now too; $8.99 if you use the code PMAG2 at checkout (limit 10). They're not hard to find anymore but I haven't seen them lower than that anywhere else, without buying mass quantities.