I really need to buy a new gun...

Roman

MaciekR - tons of ACOG experience. Any of the ACOG's will be different from the Mark 6 CQB 1-6. For me to better answer your question if you do not mind answer these questions so I can taylor the question to your specific need and ACOG: Which ACOG are you considering? What type of "work" will you be using the optic for (CQB, an all-in one option, longer range with some CQB work, 3 gun, etc). What are you used to using as an optic for this weapon? Will this optic be your only optic for this weapon?

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MaciekR - tons of ACOG experience. Any of the ACOG's will be different from the Mark 6 CQB 1-6. For me to better answer your question if you do not mind answer these questions so I can taylor the question to your specific need and ACOG: Which ACOG are you considering? What type of "work" will you be using the optic for (CQB, an all-in one option, longer range with some CQB work, 3 gun, etc). What are you used to using as an optic for this weapon? Will this optic be your only optic for this weapon?

I currently have the ACOG 4x32 with the green chevron for a midrange platform on a 14.5" carbine. I'm currently building a longer range bull barrel AR, and then planning to follow that up with a CQB build, so I was curious about what your stance would be on how the Leupold stacks up against some of the lesser magnification ACOGs or say an Aimpoint M4s red dot setup.

This is all purely for fun, not for any competition or work.

I have had friends do the Adams Arms with success.

Cool, I'll check that retro kit at my dealer tomorrow, and price out a whole new upper too... I have one "main" suppressed AR15 SBR and it makes sense to have it set up as nice as possible.

My "under the pillow" friend:

IMG_20130501_180742_091.jpg

Not sure if its been discussed here, but figured id ask the experts. A couple of the gun stores around here have been getting in POF AR10 style rifles. They look and feel pretty sturdy but ive never spoken to anyone who has any experience with them and they run just shy of 3G's a pop. Just curious about the brand, your thoughts and if they are any good. They had one with a nickel lower that looks pretty cool. but i have no idea about the performance. Have a friend looking at .308 rifles.

Not sure if its been discussed here, but figured id ask the experts. A couple of the gun stores around here have been getting in POF AR10 style rifles. They look and feel pretty sturdy but ive never spoken to anyone who has any experience with them and they run just shy of 3G's a pop. Just curious about the brand, your thoughts and if they are any good. They had one with a nickel lower that looks pretty cool. but i have no idea about the performance. Have a friend looking at .308 rifles.

For that amount of cheddar, my pick would be an FN SCAR-17 for a piston rifle, or and LMT or LaRue for a DI AR.

Uzzirider - Love the Osprey Silencer - got a 45 Osprey coming for me. Great silencer and love that you do not have to change sites. I think you will be very happy with Adams Arms!

Kevin2772 - I would strongly recommend the Scar 17 over any other tactical 308. The Scar 17 is the lightest 308 I have ever had, ambi controls, piston system is amazing...have shot over 3k rounds through it in a three day training and was never cleaned and ran perfectly! If you get one get a silencer and you will swear it is like shooting a 556 = same recoil with the silencer. They are well worth the money. If you do not like the Scar 17 get the OBR!

MaciekR - Your ACOG 4x32 is great! Probably the most popular out there for an ACOG. They have been around for ages! You are using the right optic for midrange. Only problem I found with this ACOG is eye relief. If you were to compare your current ACOG 4x32 to the Mark 6 CQB 1-6 it is a no brainer that the Mark 6 1-6 will out perform simply because the 1-6 is much more versatile. You are never going to consider using the 4x32 for CQB where as you can get away with using the 1-6 though parallax is an issue sometimes when getting on target fast in CQB. When I am doing CQB I honestly do not even use my optic to hit a 1'x1' target within 15 feet when moving fast (for example entering a shoot house). This will come naturally when you train and always have both eyes open. Next time you are at the range just try shooting with your eyes closed...It always cracks me up when you see people shooting at a gun club and have a pistol and they are focusing really hard at a target 10 feet away or using an AR15 and shooting at a traget only 25 feet. Next time you are at the range with your pistol just comfortably aim, close your eyes and you will be surprised at how well you hit the target without even looking with a tight group! Okay...sorry for rambling...been drinking too many of these Lagunitas IPA sudz. To be honest if you have a 14.5" 556 do not "build" a longer range barrel for a 556...I would move to a 308 for a true long gun AR style if you are serious about a "longer range" AR style gun (like a Scar 17 or OBR). The ballistics for a 556 is crap once going "longer range." If you want to move to a long gun and get a little more serious do a 300 win mag bolt.

For your CQB build - just get an Aimpoint T1 (I personally like to run) or Eotech red dot - that is all you need and you will be dead accurate with a red dot even with the SBR set up easily at 100 yards. You can go with an ACOG 1x or you mentioned the Aimpoint M4s which alot of the Army guys like. BUT, for true CQB run an Eotech or T1 sytle optic.

If you are looking for an all in one option then the Leupold Mark 6 1-6 CQB is the only optic you need. I also like the Elcan 1-4 alot for the 556. It is a toss up for me for these...well sort of like the Elcan more (do not mind the weight of either). I got a smoking deal from Leupold for the Mark 6 so that is what I am running right now.

Here is a good link for you in general regarding a general answer for your original question: http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3...18&t=382638

Looks like it happened years ago...

regardless it still isnt heard of in the debate over gun control.

(and I may have been a little tipsy when i stumbled upon that and didnt notice the date)

RD - once you go piston you will never go back. So much cleaner, less gas in your face, and a MUST with a silencer. It is well worth the money! As for AR grips I am running mostly Ergo Suregrip and if you want - a little heavier the Ergo tactical deluxe grip. My favorite grips even with gloves.

Went w/ the suregrip... feels good.

Right on RD! Happy Cinco De Mayo!

post-10287-1367810364_thumb.jpg

Very good articles RC - thanks for sharing!

Regarding the claim that that background check bill would have required background checks for online gun sales, don't all online gun sales already require a background check, because the only way to acquire the gun is through an FFL, new or used?

Regarding the claim that that background check bill would have required background checks for online gun sales, don't all online gun sales already require a background check, because the only way to acquire the gun is through an FFL, new or used?

That may be New York?

If the gun crosses state lines, or is sold by a dealer, it must go through an FFL in the new state, who does the NICS check. But in many states, a private party can sell a gun on line to somebody else in his state, and meet the buyer face to face and do the deal no FFL or NICS involved.

That may be New York?

If the gun crosses state lines, or is sold by a dealer, it must go through an FFL in the new state, who does the NICS check. But in many states, a private party can sell a gun on line to somebody else in his state, and meet the buyer face to face and do the deal no FFL or NICS involved.

But the way it is often worded, it's made to sound like one can just go online to a gun auction site and buy a gun and have it shipped right to their front door, bypassing any background check. My understanding is that unless the person comes to you and does it person-to-person, then if the gun is purchased online and shipped to you, it must be shipped to an FFL dealer who then would do a background check on you before acquiring it. Paying for it online but then acquiring it face-to-face would be a version of the person-to-person gun sales, right?

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, Pmags are coming back steady...pic from a friend of delivery for his company...this was probably a month ago...

post-10287-1369185860.jpg

What I would like is realistic pricing on ammo. Even .22LR is crazy high, if anyone even sells anything.

What I would like is realistic pricing on ammo. Even .22LR is crazy high, if anyone even sells anything.

I've been having decent luck finding tolerable prices on Armslist

Then there is always finding out what local stores will be getting shipments in and checking in ASAP the morning of those days to see what they have. I was able to score a CCI 500 rd brick or .22 LR for $40 at Dick's the other morning.

• 2 weeks later...