I really need to buy a new gun...

Roman

I set a personal ELR (extreme Long Range) record of 2,398 yards (1.35 miles) with my McMillan Tac50 (2'x2' target). This is pretty good for me considering I am not a long gun type of guy.

:icon_fU: "pretty good" rigggghttttt.

what was the elevation change at 2400 yards? what optic was on the gun for that shot? that's insane.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.223 goes through walls like shit through a goose.

The idea that 223 breaks up on impact is completely determined by WHAT TYPE of 223 you're firing. Ball, hollow point and frangible will fragment/deform/disintegrate on impact whether its fired from a 223 or a 9mm...

FMJ doesnt. It just keeps going.

Why is it reported then about the FBI conducting testing on this and finding that the .223 penetrates house walls less than the 9mm? I know that certain armored vehicles, to defeat ammunition like .223, will have armor that consists of two layers of armor with a layer of spacing in between so that when the ammunition hits the first layer, provided it manages to penetrate, if something like a fragmenting .223 round, it will expend its energy, fragment, and then be unable to penetrate the second layer of armor. From what I have read, the walls of a house, since they are two layers of wall board generally, can have this same effect on .223.

Here is the article I linked to on this: LINK

My (albeit amateur) understanding about pistol rounds is that they are generally too slow to fragment, because the fragmenting of something like a .223 requires a minimum velocity it has to travel at which pistol rounds don't reach.

Why is it reported then about the FBI conducting testing on this and finding that the .223 penetrates house walls less than the 9mm? I know that certain armored vehicles, to defeat ammunition like .223, will have armor that consists of two layers of armor with a layer of spacing in between so that when the ammunition hits the first layer, provided it manages to penetrate, if something like a fragmenting .223 round, it will expend its energy, fragment, and then be unable to penetrate the second layer of armor. From what I have read, the walls of a house, since they are two layers of wall board generally, can have this same effect on .223.

Here is the article I linked to on this: LINK

My (albeit amateur) understanding about pistol rounds is that they are generally too slow to fragment, because the fragmenting of something like a .223 requires a minimum velocity it has to travel at which pistol rounds don't reach.

Read between the lines wheels....

anyone that has run an IDPA or 3 gun match, or even spectated will find this hilarious

Part 1 and 2 of IDPA

http://thefirearmreport.com/2013/10/an-urb...a-match-part-1/

http://thefirearmreport.com/2013/10/an-urb...a-match-part-2/

3 gun

http://thefirearmreport.com/2013/10/the-su...takes-on-3-gun/

:icon_fU: "pretty good" rigggghttttt.

what was the elevation change at 2400 yards? what optic was on the gun for that shot? that's insane.

David, Here is the info on the .50:

Hornady 750gr A-MAX

Altitude 3,600 from top of butte where we fired from. The target was on another mountainside with higher elevation.

80 degrees

Optic Leupold Mark 6

60 degree base - I can still zero at 100 yards with this base.

If I remember correctly I think I dialed 27 mils. Wind call 4 mils

.223 goes through walls like shit through a goose.

The idea that 223 breaks up on impact is completely determined by WHAT TYPE of 223 you're firing. Ball, hollow point and frangible will fragment/deform/disintegrate on impact whether its fired from a 223 or a 9mm...

FMJ doesnt. It just keeps going.

5.56/223 green tip goes thru AR500 steel like butter. Frang is the only way to go if you are using for home defense in my eyes...but again the last firearm I am going to grab for home defense is an AR.

but again the last firearm I am going to grab for home defense is an AR.

For sure. If an AR is your only option, than it's better than dying... but it has a lot of home defense downsides. Has anyone ever fired an AR inside a room without ears on?? jesus, that's gotta hurt...

What's in your nightstand Charlie?

Has anyone ever fired an AR inside a room without ears on?? jesus, that's gotta hurt...

No kidding, firing an AR outdoors without ear protection is painful. I can't imagine being indoors firing one.

Buddy at work is throwing a range day in a week and is bringing a couple of toys along. A 1919 and 2 full auto tommy guns. Never shot a full auto before let alone a belt fed. Can't wait!

Buddy at work is throwing a range day in a week and is bringing a couple of toys along. A 1919 and 2 full auto tommy guns. Never shot a full auto before let alone a belt fed. Can't wait!

it's twice as fun as you're imagining.

Oh snap I can't wait! He has barrels for the 1919 in 30-06, 8mm and 7.62x54r. He just got the 54r barrels so he is pretty pumped. He ordered up a pallet (10k rounds) for the shoot.

Not being the aficionado most of you guys are, I have no idea if this is accurate "market" pricing right now, but figured I'd pass it on. :)

The Heritage Guild in Easton, PA (20 minutes from NJ border) is selling 1987 Century Arms AK47’s with TEN boxes of 7.62x39 ammo for $679.99 today through Sunday (reg $1099).

http://www.heritageguild.com/

http://store.heritageguild.com/product.cen...-ak-47-1987-293

No NJ or NY sales of course.

I have no affiliation with this shop and have never been there, but a PA residing friend of mine posted the deal on Facebook and was excited about it, so figured my LP bretherin would enjoy.

post-424-1382537441.jpg

Especially if you dont have to pay for the ammo....

Especially if you dont have to pay for the ammo....

:icon_thumleft:

For sure. If an AR is your only option, than it's better than dying... but it has a lot of home defense downsides. Has anyone ever fired an AR inside a room without ears on?? jesus, that's gotta hurt...

M4 shotgun with light source & a Glock 22 that I never use with a light source.

M4 shotgun with light source & a Glock 22 that I never use with a light source.

Cool-

An autoloader seems like a good choice to prevent short stroking or something when you're under stress. Right now I have my Mossy 500 shorty with a surefire fore end, but someday when I finish building my Saiga shorty I'd like to use that.

BTW.. I was looking over this thread today and wanted to mention: I LOVE the Keg12. Have to be careful with ammo, because anything heavy hurts... But damn its fun!

BTW.. I was looking over this thread today and wanted to mention: I LOVE the Keg12. Have to be careful with ammo, because anything heavy hurts... But damn its fun!

HE'S ALIVE!

So I'm driving my self nuts trying to get my hands on a Walther PPQ, the only way is to SSE which is not a big deal (I found a place that'll do it for $125). My questions is I was looking online and I noticed that Walther makes a 10 round mag for it, does this mean that maybe they are going to get it registered with the CA DOJ?

So I'm driving my self nuts trying to get my hands on a Walther PPQ, the only way is to SSE which is not a big deal (I found a place that'll do it for $125). My questions is I was looking online and I noticed that Walther makes a 10 round mag for it, does this mean that maybe they are going to get it registered with the CA DOJ?

What is SSE? I may have a lead for you on a Walther. As for the mags I'd be surprised if any shop or online place will sell you one with a hi-cap mag cause of the restrictions.

What is SSE? I may have a lead for you on a Walther. As for the mags I'd be surprised if any shop or online place will sell you one with a hi-cap mag cause of the restrictions.

Single shot exemption, it's a way to get around some off roster stuff in CA.

SSE is single shot exemption. They put a 10 inch barrel and disassemble the 15 round mag for the 10 days it's in mandatory DROS. It's a loop hole, you can by pass the roster and reassemble it to original configuration before you pick it up. I just found out Walther will not try to pass it in CA because of the new micro stamping law going into affect next year. I'm just going to pony up and SSE it.

Are 12-gauge shot guns okay for home defense sound-wise? I know they make special earphones now that will enhance the sound you are hearing so you can better hear things like intruders from a distance, but then if the sound exceeds a certain level of decibels, the earphone shuts off so that you hearing is protected by the earphones. So you get the benefits of both enhanced hearing and hearing protection.