I really need to buy a new gun...

Roman

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SHOCKED at the hate for the 1911 here. I think they are overpriced but I never had an issue with reliability or being picky. I would still recommend a Glock as a first purchase for a newbie.

I hate the design and function of the 1911.

I like how heavy it is, I don't think my wife could shoot me with it very easily.

Looks awesome hannibal! So what would you guys recommend for a first handgun then? I have always loved the 1911s but if its not a good choice what else? What model Sig or glock?

I like how heavy it is, I don't think my wife could shoot me with it very easily.

Hahahaha.

Looks awesome hannibal! So what would you guys recommend for a first handgun then? I have always loved the 1911s but if its not a good choice what else? What model Sig or glock?

Thanks! I am a big fan of Glocks. They just always work and they are easy to clean and take care of. That being said the best thing you can do is go to a range that rents guns and rent a bunch of different guns. Try out a SIG or an S&W Shield or a Kahr or a Taurus. See what feels good in your hand and what you are comfortable with. Best gun in the world means nothing if you don't like holding it or shooting it.

What do you want to do with your handgun? List the top 3 to 5 desires in order of preference. This was my order:

1. Reliability

2. Accuracy

3. Concealability

4. Ergonomics

5. Aftermarket support (holders, sights, etc....)

For the record I carry a Glock G36. Glock fit the bill for me on points 1, 2, 4 and 5. Wanting to carry a 45ACP narrowed me down to a G30 or G36. I went with the G36 because it was a bit smaller and I figured what is the point of 6 rounds vs. 10 rounds if I leave the bigger gun at home more often because I don't want to carry it. I'd rather have 6+1 rounds I have to use carefully than 10 sitting in a gun in my safe.

Alright sweet I'll check the glocks and the sigs out. I definitely won't be able to carry in maryland lol thats pretty much a given.

Alright sweet I'll check the glocks and the sigs out. I definitely won't be able to carry in maryland lol thats pretty much a given.

Forgot you lived there. Glad I moved out. ;)

Love my Kimber Team Match .45 ACP. Never had a problem with it, beautiful comfortable gun, shoots very accurately.

Have Glock 19 too, functional gun (like Honda), but that's it. I hate the fat uncomfortable grip, sloppy trigger and the barrel/grip angle. One more thing, the gun is fuckin* ugly.

Yeah, I know about cleaning 1911 and springs bouncing off the ceiling, but it happens only when I'm drunk :)

Whoever said, go and rent few is absolutely correct.

Thanks for the info guys. Anyone have a tavor? That's one of the only few assault rifles you can get in maryland. Is it any good?

have you guys had success with the MAGPUL stuff?

We have had all kinds of issues using their mags on the full auto setting on the M16. It seems to only like the Metal mags for full auto.

Also realized the 30 round Glock mags which I realized were more designed for the Glock 18 when used in my Glock 26 were pretty pointless. They got jammed after 2-3 rounds each time. So I know I now have to stick to 15 rounds at max.

I guess I have to go shooting more often! Would have thought I had 28 more rounds to go in a 30 round mag if I had an intruder, and realized I was grossly mistaken!

Oh man that is SWEET! I really want to do one but they are a bit $$$$. I have other "needs" to fill in the armory first.

have you guys had success with the MAGPUL stuff?

We have had all kinds of issues using their mags on the full auto setting on the M16. It seems to only like the Metal mags for full auto.

Also realized the 30 round Glock mags which I realized were more designed for the Glock 18 when used in my Glock 26 were pretty pointless. They got jammed after 2-3 rounds each time. So I know I now have to stick to 15 rounds at max.

I guess I have to go shooting more often! Would have thought I had 28 more rounds to go in a 30 round mag if I had an intruder, and realized I was grossly mistaken!

My magpul stuff works great on non-FA. With their reputation I can't imagine them having issues with FA though. Sounds really weird.

As for your 30rd mags are they Glock OEM or Korean? Glock mags are designed to work in every gun Glock makes in that caliber. The only exception is the G36 which is a single stack 45 and can't take the double stack 45 mags from the compact or fullsize Glocks.

Thanks for the info guys. Anyone have a tavor? That's one of the only few assault rifles you can get in maryland. Is it any good?

They look pretty sweet but I've never really considered going with them as a bullpup. Figured I would get a PS90 first.

As for your 30rd mags are they Glock OEM or Korean? Glock mags are designed to work in every gun Glock makes in that caliber. The only exception is the G36 which is a single stack 45 and can't take the double stack 45 mags from the compact or fullsize Glocks.

I have 2 of each. They both did the same thing. We were shooting with our gun broker who has been in the business 30 years, and he said it is best to only load 15 or so rounds unless you are going full auto on a G18 on the 30 round mags.

He also recommended (for any magazine cartridge) to only leave one mag loaded as it wears on the springs and causes them to jam over time.

That thing looks freaking awesome.

Thanks. This is my anti Riot gun for Miami. :icon_mrgreen: figure if multiple people are attacking me and my family, and the first few get blown in half it would provide incentive to stand down.

Oh man that is SWEET! I really want to do one but they are a bit $$$$. I have other "needs" to fill in the armory first.

Thanks!

Only 2 things I want now are a .50 semi auto sniper rifle and a sig or two.

SHOCKED at the hate for the 1911 here. I think they are overpriced but I never had an issue with reliability or being picky. I would still recommend a Glock as a first purchase for a newbie.

My only complaint with the glock for a new shooter is the "you'll shoot your eye out kid" design on the field stripping process... Any gun that requires the operator to break two of the rules to field strip is an accident waiting to happen for new shooters... And, lets face it... We've seen a lot of "NOT" new shooters shoot themselves in the process.

Speaking as an attorney now, the 1911 is just fcuking unsafe. The cocked and locked design basically forces one too keep the gun unloaded, or with one in the chamber and cocked. And that opens up way too many avenues for "I thought it was unloaded" tragedies. I know I don't have to prove my gun loving credentials here, so I can say this- There are way too many gun guys who treat these preventable tragedies like darwin awards... Immediately screaming about four rules and what an idiot the shooter was... There are a lot of people who arent gun people who will come into contact with a firearm. They think they know how to operate it and unload it safely. But the 1911 makes it much more likely they'll have an UD. And everytime somebody is unintentionally injured by a gun, gun rights also suffer.

I wouldn't drive a model T on the freeway... I wouldn't fly on the Wright Brothers plane... Believe it or not, technology in cars and planes has come a long fcuking way in 100 years... The same is true for guns.