I really need to buy a new gun...

Roman

I'm in harford county. Yeah you can get one but you have to carry 60% of your income in cash. And you can only carry when working. Being an electrician and having tools on me all day it wouldn't really do me any good to have a loaded handgun on me as well lol and plus I'm still in school for it so I couldn't carry it on Campus at night either. My birthday is in 2 months so I'm going to take my class the day after it and get my handgun that day. We have a 7 day wait period here, not sure if that's everywhere or not.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a 7 day wait period here, not sure if that's everywhere or not.

The 7 day wait period is not everywhere. A lot of states have instant background checks that take 30 minutes to an hour. Once approved you pay and walk out with your firearm. There is also no special license required to purchase handguns.

Yeah I knew about the license thing. They do the background check there when you purchase it. It's just like a 7 day "cool of" period I guess. Idk when I was 18 I walked in a bought an AR15 with all the ammo I wanted in 20 minutes. And they say AR15s are banned in Maryland too. Just has to be a heavy barrel lol

No waiting period in PA! Just have to pass the Instant Criminal Background check. Usually I spend less than 2 minutes waiting for approval.

Why wait for your birthday? Go get one sooner!

Have to be 21 lol I wish man. That's why I'm trying to get all my stuff in line before hand. It kills me because like I said I bought my AR and a Remington 870 but I can't get a handgun.

Get a sig.

(Like when I picked up that truck the other day... I had my .22 in my pants, a 9 in a shoulder rig, and my wife had my .32 in her purse and an mp5 under the seat of the car....)

I'm just fcuking sayin'...

http://abcnews.go.com/US/bodies-vehicle-fo...ory?id=28484457

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Mi...-279629282.html

This shit is popping up more and more.

Alkadi sold his car to a man he met through Craigslist when we went missing, but police said they contacted the buyer and cleared that person from any involvement in the disappearance.

If anyone is looking for PS90 ammo my guy has SS198 for $1200/2000 rounds shipped. I haven't researched it enough to know how good/bad that price is.

In maryland if you shokt someone who's breaking into your house your just as likely to go to jail as the burglar. God help you if you actually kill him. I remeber this guy aaw someone stealing his rims off his car and he went out and shot him and he went to jail. Another guy had a burglar in his garage so he went out with a sword and killed him. He went to jail too. You pretty much have to be dead in order to kill someone. Like the knife has to be in your throat a little before you do anything.

Need a recomendation for COLD weather gloves that I can work and SHOOT in. I have the standard "mechanic" gloves that are great for dexterity. But my fingers freeze in them.

First an old trick we use is the medical gloves under our tactical gloves. So try this first - cheap and works pretty good without loosing much dexterity. I have used Outdoor Research gloves that were really good but do not remember the name of them. Some guys liked the Camelbak winter gloves they make. Hope this helps.

I'd rather carry extra ammo with a 9 or stopping power with a 45. The FBI only went with 40 cause they couldn't handle 10mm.

Just a heads up with going through layers of denim and/or other materials we tried then flesh the Hornady Critical Defense and the Speer Gold Dot personal protection (9mm Luger+P 124 gr GDHP or something like that) performed about the same as the 40...no real difference. One did not outperform the other.

GOV/MIL guys are going with 9/40 is because the magazines carry more rounds and less recoil (shooter is more accurate with 9 over a 45 in stress shoots). They also find with the ballistic tests on 9/40/45 that using the right ammo is more important than the right caliber.

Just a heads up with going through layers of denim and/or other materials we tried then flesh the Hornady Critical Defense and the Speer Gold Dot personal protection (9mm Luger+P 124 gr GDHP or something like that) performed about the same as the 40...no real difference. One did not outperform the other.

GOV/MIL guys are going with 9/40 is because the magazines carry more rounds and less recoil (shooter is more accurate with 9 over a 45 in stress shoots). They also find with the ballistic tests on 9/40/45 that using the right ammo is more important than the right caliber.

Always appreciate your real world testing! I'm stuck reading and researching.

Any thoughts on the 5.7 round and PS90 now that I bought my wife one? ;)

Need a recomendation for COLD weather gloves that I can work and SHOOT in. I have the standard "mechanic" gloves that are great for dexterity. But my fingers freeze in them.

I just always shoot with my ragwool fingerless gloves or an old pair of insulated receiver gloves in the cold....have you looked into any of the insulated mechanix wear gloves?

First an old trick we use is the medical gloves under our tactical gloves. So try this first - cheap and works pretty good without loosing much dexterity. I have used Outdoor Research gloves that were really good but do not remember the name of them. Some guys liked the Camelbak winter gloves they make. Hope this helps.

I will have to try that.

In other news these are my favorite summer shooting gloves:

http://www.mechanix.com/hardware/cg-framer

The extra padding/durability of the palm and thumb area is perfect for a hammer or a firearm and the fingerless thumb/pointer/index leaves me full dexterity for manipulating a safety/hammer/AR charging handle while still offering the rest of the hand protection. I was just going to buy a pair of the M-pact gloves and cut the tip of the thumb/pointer off and then sew it up so that it didn't keep tearing but these seem to do the trick.

In maryland if you shokt someone who's breaking into your house your just as likely to go to jail as the burglar. God help you if you actually kill him. I remeber this guy aaw someone stealing his rims off his car and he went out and shot him and he went to jail. Another guy had a burglar in his garage so he went out with a sword and killed him. He went to jail too. You pretty much have to be dead in order to kill someone. Like the knife has to be in your throat a little before you do anything.

Neither of those cases have anything to do with the state.... And in fact, neither meet the premise you started with regarding people "breaking into your house."

You have a right to Self Defense.... Meaning if you are faced with an imminent threat to your life or the life of others, then, and only then, may you use deadly force to prevent it.... Whether you are in Maryland, California, or Texas...

The first scenario you give SHOULD get you prosecuted in any state of the Union.... You do not have a right to use deadly force to kill the guy stealing your rims.... Why? You're in your house. You are safe. You are not being threatened... Your rims are not people... You can't defend their lives. Call the police.

The second case I remember well... The young man saw somebody breaking into his detached garage... He went out to the garage with a samaraii sword (the technical term for this is this "fcuking stupid") and stabbed a guy in the garage...

Please... For the love of God... Do not buy a firearm until you understand this rule, inside and out...

Please... For the love of God... Do not buy a firearm until you understand this rule, inside and out...

He is a youngin'...we have to bring him along slowly. He already owns a shotty and an AR though. The 4 hour class will probably do him some good.

This story made me think of another.

Years ago, a very well-known PA residing member on a car forum I frequented had a similar situation.

As he told it, he had been lying awake one night when he looked out his bedroom window and saw 2 people with flashlights at the side door of his detached garage (he was a well-known gear-head in the area with several project vehicles, cars behind the house on jack stands, etc. Tens of thousands of dollars in tools in the garage. Luckily, he ran through that "common sense" decision making process before he acted. (Realized that there was no way it could be looked at as self-defense, put the gun he had instinctively grabbed immediately back in his nightstand, called 911 to say he was being robbed, and then went out armed with just a flashlight and fury instead.

As he quietly slipped in the side door of his garage, he found two teenagers in there with backpacks, busily loading up everything they could grab out of his wall of tool boxes. When they saw him running around the car towards him as he flipped the lights on, they almost shiit their pants, and one of them ran around the other side of the car and took off through the same side door getting away. The other one ran the wrong way and got cornered before the guy laid him out, then put a knee on the back of his head and waited for police. (One can imagine the restraint he must have showed to not beat the kid to a bloody pulp while he had him pinned down, instead all he did was make the kid call his buddies phone and threaten him to get him back there with his tools.). Being that we are all car guys on this forum, I'm sure it would be hard for any of us to stay calm if we cornered someone inside our garage or car helping themselves to our possessions!)

As Romandad said, I'm sure that had he lost his cool and gone out there with a gun, the story could have ended a lot differently. In the end, he got all of his stuff back, and the two kids (who were scared sh!!tless) learned a hard lesson about thievery. Fortunately for the guy, the thieves in this situation ALSO weren’t armed, as that is another way this story could have ended MUCH differently (plenty of ways to arm-chair quarter back this one!).

I'm in harford county. Yeah you can get one but you have to carry 60% of your income in cash. And you can only carry when working. Being an electrician and having tools on me all day it wouldn't really do me any good to have a loaded handgun on me as well lol and plus I'm still in school for it so I couldn't carry it on Campus at night either. My birthday is in 2 months so I'm going to take my class the day after it and get my handgun that day. We have a 7 day wait period here, not sure if that's everywhere or not.

Not true about 60% cash to get a permit.

Check out www.mdshooters.com since you are local. There is a wealth of info there

And as Roman said this isn't the wild wild west. You CANNOT shoot someone unless you are in fear of your life or someone elses.

This story made me think of another.

Years ago, a very well-known PA residing member on a car forum I frequented had a similar situation.

As he told it, he had been lying awake one night when he looked out his bedroom window and saw 2 people with flashlights at the side door of his detached garage (he was a well-known gear-head in the area with several project vehicles, cars behind the house on jack stands, etc. Tens of thousands of dollars in tools in the garage. Luckily, he ran through that "common sense" decision making process before he acted. (Realized that there was no way it could be looked at as self-defense, put the gun he had instinctively grabbed immediately back in his nightstand, called 911 to say he was being robbed, and then went out armed with just a flashlight and fury instead.

As he quietly slipped in the side door of his garage, he found two teenagers in there with backpacks, busily loading up everything they could grab out of his wall of tool boxes. When they saw him running around the car towards him as he flipped the lights on, they almost shiit their pants, and one of them ran around the other side of the car and took off through the same side door getting away. The other one ran the wrong way and got cornered before the guy laid him out, then put a knee on the back of his head and waited for police. (One can imagine the restraint he must have showed to not beat the kid to a bloody pulp while he had him pinned down, instead all he did was make the kid call his buddies phone and threaten him to get him back there with his tools.). Being that we are all car guys on this forum, I'm sure it would be hard for any of us to stay calm if we cornered someone inside our garage or car helping themselves to our possessions!)

As Romandad said, I'm sure that had he lost his cool and gone out there with a gun, the story could have ended a lot differently. In the end, he got all of his stuff back, and the two kids (who were scared sh!!tless) learned a hard lesson about thievery. Fortunately for the guy, the thieves in this situation ALSO weren’t armed, as that is another way this story could have ended MUCH differently (plenty of ways to arm-chair quarter back this one!).

his reminds me of that story from when I lived in Hollywood... I think I've told it here before, but its worth repeating...

Its right after my son was born. so my wife and I were sleeping in shifts... I had the midnight to six gig so at 7 or 8 pm or so I was asleep... Anyways... Wife wakes me up... The valets are saying "somebody ran into our garage." So I assume they mean they crashed into it with a car or something.... So I get up, grab my gun (Id never go outside there without a piece) go out the back door and start walking towards our shitty little detached garage... Look up, and realize the light is on... "huh? Did I leave the light on earlier? thats weird?" Still not getting whats going on... Im about halfway there when the fcuking door pops open and this piece of shit homeless dude walks out.

I say something like "what the fcuk are you doing in there?"

Anyways, he says something like, "I was just looking for a place to stay... I dont have anyplace to stay. Is it ok if I stay here?"

And the question, as stupid as it is, sets me back... "No... You CANT fcuking stay here...." (Im now debating with my burglar...)

Then it occurs to me, the whole time this conversation is going on, He's moving towards me. I've stopped dead in my tracks... The exit out of my yard (the way he came in) is BEHIND him.... But he's coming AT me... Then the inventory of all the shit I keep in the area he just came out of goes through my head, "Axe-check, hatchet-check, machete-check, scythe-check").

I draw down on him and say "dont take another step or I WILL shoot you."

hands fly up, and he says (and I will always remember this) "Dont shoot, I've got a little dog." And he turns and runs back out the way he came in.....

LAPD told me I should have shot him... But I went to law school... And they didn't.

LAPD told me I should have shot him... But I went to law school... And they didn't.

Yeah cause the LAPD is the bastion of what to do/not to do.

rtr3dgqk.si.jpg

Yeah cause the LAPD is the bastion of what to do/not to do.

rtr3dgqk.si.jpg

Oh fcuk... I remember that....

They totally burned that dudes house down...

Oh fcuk... I remember that....

They totally burned that dudes house down...

The blue truck was the first thing I thought of when you said LAPD. And yeah they burned the shit out of that house. Like we all said during the live chase...no way was he coming out alive to testify.

The blue truck was the first thing I thought of when you said LAPD. And yeah they burned the shit out of that house. Like we all said during the live chase...no way was he coming out alive to testify.

Remember how we were listening to them live? The dude literally says, "yeah, uh, remember that plan we talked about? its approved."

"which plan?"

"The plan to burn the house down."

And then the sheriff did verbal gymnastics to try to act like it was just a "whoops" that the house burned to the ground and nobody put any water on it for 6 hours.

Remember how we were listening to them live? The dude literally says, "yeah, uh, remember that plan we talked about? its approved."

"which plan?"

"The plan to burn the house down."

And then the sheriff did verbal gymnastics to try to act like it was just a "whoops" that the house burned to the ground and nobody put any water on it for 6 hours.

Yup. The craziest part was just before they found him and they stumbled up and then RATATATATATATATAT. I was sitting their at work with my headphones on listening and then all of the sudden I was in the middle of a gun fight.

NUTS!

He is a youngin'...we have to bring him along slowly. He already owns a shotty and an AR though. The 4 hour class will probably do him some good.

Yeah I'm definitely here to learn. Lol. I do think the class is going to help I'm looking forward to it. I was hoping that Roman would chime in and clear it up for me. I appreciate it. I've always wondered how it actually works because everyone always says something different. Even the "pros".