I really need to buy a new gun...

Roman

Appreciate all the information I've been given and yes I was looking from something that I could have fun with. What do you guys thing about this pistol seems like it would be a good gun and not to mention I also like the looks of it.

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_in...ducts_id=111789

Is this going to be the first gun you've ever shot or just the first one you ever owned? The reason I'm asking is because if this is going to be the very first gun you've ever shot, make sure you take some lessons or make sure you go out and shoot with someone with experience. Not only will it be safer, but then you can possibly get some time in with various pistols and you can figure out what suits you the best. I'm a bit old fashioned and so I would offer the advice of going with a revolver if it is your first time shooting/owning. They are less complicated and less intimidating than a semi-auto and, imho, safer for a first time user. I could be in the minority here with this bit of advice, but its just food for thought.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fun if you have other guns, I have purchased 4 of these "Draco" ak47 pistols. 2 are in hard chrome. I know its in bad taste, but i think they will be collectible!

Classic arms sells them: http://classicarms.us/

Really silly fun. ( be safe out there! )

I love the Draco pistol. Shot a bunch of them but never seen one as small as what they show on the website with the muzzle hidden by the handguard practically. I want one to SBR it but I'm not sure how easy it would be to add a stock ( fixed or folding).

The Mini Draco does not have the proper rear trunnion, so that would require drilling out 4 rivets and installing the underfolder trunnion. The larger Draco, called a Draco -C all have the Romanian underfolder trunnion installed. Once the SBR Form 4 is approved, you can just open the holes up and add a side or undefolder stock.

I have a YHM Phantom suppressor I am going to install on the Mini Draco and see how loud it still is. I need to order the 14x1 LH QD adapter.

all NFA laws apply blah blah. :)

Your question on the S&W... I think if you are looking for something to have fun and go out and shoot (target work).

I would get something with either a 4" or 5" barrel. Once you get down to the Sub and Ultra Compacts (3.6" - 3.0") you will loose a lot of accuracy.

I would look at a Tactical set up which is typically 5" or look for a nice full size 4" barrel. You will have much more fun shooting longer targets, etc.

I personally am not a fan of the S&W polymers. I love their 1911's. I think for the price you can have a Glock or Spring field (550 - 600 price range) and you would have 140 left over for ammo for what you spend on a S&W poly.

If you are going to the 700 range, you can do much better than the S&W.

As others mention, if this is your first handgun, or one that you just want to have some fun with - go with Glock or Springfield. PS. I bought my springfield XD tactical came with 2 mags, etc. for 550 a few years back. Earlier this year, I hadn't really used it much at the range compared to some of my other HG's - so I traded it in to buy a new Kimber 1911, the dealer gave me 550 for my springfield - AKA they hold their value and are in high demand. Same would go for Glocks, high demand guns that if you decide on something else, you will get a good trade in/up for your next purchase.

• 4 weeks later...

Got my LC9 about a week ago. Very happy with it so far. I need to shoot a couple hundred rounds through it probably this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

just picked up a beretta cougar in absolute mint condition (less than 50 rounds put through it). Headed to the range now to try it out.

I put a little over 100 rounds through the gun today and I love it. the only thing was it had 3 double feeds, i was told that since the springs in the mag sat for 3-4 years with no stretching that the spring is just so stiff that its trying to feed 2 rounds at once and that with a little time it would get better does that sound right to anyone else?

I put a little over 100 rounds through the gun today and I love it. the only thing was it had 3 double feeds, i was told that since the springs in the mag sat for 3-4 years with no stretching that the spring is just so stiff that its trying to feed 2 rounds at once and that with a little time it would get better does that sound right to anyone else?

:confused:

Are these true "Double Feeds" (Gun strips 2 live rounds at the same time- This is incredibly rare, especially in a semi auto pistol) or are they "stove pipes" (expended shell in chamber fails to extract while new round gets fed behind it)?

If its really double feeding, Get a new magazine... Theres something seriously fucked up with that one.

Stove pipes can be caused by all sorts of things... Issue #1 with a new gun would be user error- You may be limp wristing it, not knowing what to expect from recoil and such. Watch your form on the next 100 rds. If youre sure thats not it , next Id try a different magazine.... If it keeps doing it, you need to look at the extractor.

Finally is the "Shit happens" factor... Thats why we spend so much range time on "tap rack bang" drills.

:confused:

Are these true "Double Feeds" (Gun strips 2 live rounds at the same time- This is incredibly rare, especially in a semi auto pistol) or are they "stove pipes" (expended shell in chamber fails to extract while new round gets fed behind it)?

If its really double feeding, Get a new magazine... Theres something seriously fucked up with that one.

Stove pipes can be caused by all sorts of things... Issue #1 with a new gun would be user error- You may be limp wristing it, not knowing what to expect from recoil and such. Watch your form on the next 100 rds. If youre sure thats not it , next Id try a different magazine.... If it keeps doing it, you need to look at the extractor.

Finally is the "Shit happens" factor... Thats why we spend so much range time on "tap rack bang" drills.

It was a true double feed.

I have 3 mags already and now im wondering if it was the same mag that was double feeding. Gonna have to number em and check and see.

It was a true double feed.

I have 3 mags already and now im wondering if it was the same mag that was double feeding. Gonna have to number em and check and see.

Good idea... What type of ammo are you using???

Id use factory loaded HP or flat nose until you get it figured out... Its extremely unlikely, but you can theoretically have an out of battery discharge (AKA "KABOOM!!!") from round nose during a 2x feed.

Good idea... What type of ammo are you using???

Id use factory loaded HP or flat nose until you get it figured out... Its extremely unlikely, but you can theoretically have an out of battery discharge (AKA "KABOOM!!!") from round nose during a 2x feed.

I was using some flat nose ammo that i bought off a friend who hand loads (as this is my first 40 and didnt think to bring any to the range stupidly) i think it was something like PPU casings and not sure on the bullets but they where flat nose.

I went to the range today with some different ammo and I had left about 6 rounds in the mags overnight in hope of stretching the springs out. No double feeds at all today, we shall see.

I went to the range today with some different ammo and I had left about 6 rounds in the mags overnight in hope of stretching the springs out. No double feeds at all today, we shall see.

:icon_thumleft:

Does anyone have a Sig P238? I'm thinking of picking one up to replace my Ruger LCP, which I hate.

Look at the Ruger LC9. It looks very similar to the Sig P238(specs wise), but a couple hundred bucks cheaper. I bought one after JoeBiz posted about his. I love it, way better than the LCP(never shot one). I put about a hundred rounds through it a few weeks ago and its perfect, my wrist did hurt a little after that but it isnt a gun you would shoot like that often. Ill probably shoot a hundred rounds through it every few months to remain proficient with it, other than that it will be my concealed carry gun. I would highly recommend it!

Look at the Ruger LC9. It looks very similar to the Sig P238(specs wise), but a couple hundred bucks cheaper. I bought one after JoeBiz posted about his. I love it, way better than the LCP(never shot one). I put about a hundred rounds through it a few weeks ago and its perfect, my wrist did hurt a little after that but it isnt a gun you would shoot like that often. Ill probably shoot a hundred rounds through it every few months to remain proficient with it, other than that it will be my concealed carry gun. I would highly recommend it!

Thanks, I've glanced at the LC9 online but I haven't had a chance to look at one in person yet. I found a lightly used P238 locally for a lot less than new (those F-ers are expensive!) so it'd be about the same price as a new LC9. I'll have to shoot them both and see what feels better.

Do any of you guys own a SCAR? I'd love to hear about it. Or thoughts from anyone who knows about them.

Used one once, if that means anything to you. It was OK. One thing I didn't like was the charging handle moves with the bolt, just don't see any reason to have a part of the gun moving on the outside. But other than that, it worked.

Do any of you guys own a SCAR? I'd love to hear about it. Or thoughts from anyone who knows about them.

They are neat guns. But unless you are getting a good deal on it it is basically a more expensive piston AR-15.

Anyone familiar with antique firearms? My dad asked me to research my Grandfathers rile for him. I don't have any photos yet but I know its a Winchester 1873 second model 44 built in 1891

Anyone familiar with antique firearms? My dad asked me to research my Grandfathers rile for him. I don't have any photos yet but I know its a Winchester 1873 second model 44 built in 1891

My dad has four mint 1873 Winchesters. He has always called them model 73s, so idk what the model 44 part is. But my dad knows a lot about them, I will ask him about them. If you have any pictures pm me for my email and I'll show my dad and see what he says. 73s are worth some money but nothing like a Henry(60,000+).

My dad has four mint 1873 Winchesters. He has always called them model 73s, so idk what the model 44 part is. But my dad knows a lot about them, I will ask him about them. If you have any pictures pm me for my email and I'll show my dad and see what he says. 73s are worth some money but nothing like a Henry(60,000+).

For the 44 I meant .44-40 which I think is the caliber?? Im new to guns so exuse my lack of knowledge

My grandfather used it has his hunting rifle so I doubt its anything special but it is 100 years old.

Im working on getting photos and I will let you know when I have them.

For the 44 I meant .44-40 which I think is the caliber?? Im new to guns so exuse my lack of knowledge

My grandfather used it has his hunting rifle so I doubt its anything special but it is 100 years old.

Im working on getting photos and I will let you know when I have them.

That's what I assumed you meant too. I was going to ask my dad anyway, he has gulf me a lot but he knows way more. That is the caliber of those guns. There is a lot of different things with the 73s. Once you get pictures it will really help.