Test drove an 02 Murc and now I have questions

Dj_Diablo

I own a 2006 orange/black 6spd Gallardo and I thought about switching sides to a Murc as it's always been the favorite car.

A local dealer has this 02 6spd for sale with the new style wheels:

FEBRUARY%202010%20001.jpg

My gallardo is CLEAN. Rock solid, and never a single squeak, creek, or rattle. It sometimes feels too perfect, like a well-build Audi, because it obviously is.

This Murc has the exact same mileage as mine but I have to admit, I wasn't very impressed.

The rear tires were almost toast, which I don't think makes a difference, but everytime I got on the throttle this car would rattle like a mofo. I think even the side mirrors were shaking. I can't pinpoint all the spots, but there were rattles from the dash and also from somewhere behind me. The car has no accidents or any paint work. All original. 20k miles.

Those of you that own Murc's, is this normal and acceptable? I can't say I'm a huge fan of the interior either. The stock deck feels like something out of a car audio store, the buttons are pretty plain, and the gas pedal is just plain odd. You have to use your toes and you need to lift your heel in order to go WOT properly. Idk if it's me, but the Gallardo really spoils me.

Power also wasn't very impressive. If anything, it felt slower down-low than the Gallardo. The G seems to have a ton of torque with a nice initial hit as soon as you bury the throttle, whereas the Murc feels pretty sluggish. I would have thought the extra torque from the larger displacement would be noticeable, but apparently not.

At the end of the day, the best way I can describe the two cars is that the Gallardo feels like driving with a surgeon's precision scalpel, while the Murc feels like you're driving with a chainsaw.

Any elaboration or insight would be a great help.

Cheers,

Adam

the rattles and squeaks are normal. i have loads of them in my car. i just learn to live with it. it's the character of the car. get a stage 2 exhaust and it will give you more power.

the gallardo is the easier drive and the better chassis. i just like the character and the joy the big brother gives me so i stick with it since i don't use the car often.

Having owned both, I would agree with your assessment. There's just something about having a V12, though.

Gallardo feels better, is probably more reliable, but the door doesn't swing up :)

My Murcielago has very few rattles and squeaks and it has 20,000 miles and it's now 6 years old. I drove a 2006 Gallardo and my Murcielago back-to-back and the torque seemed to me to be quite a bit better in the Murci, but then it had a non-stock exhaust, so that might account for some of the difference. I agree that the interior is not the best looking.

I've owned my Murci for 5 years and it's 7 years old. No rattles or squeaks at all.

To me, only a V12 with scissor doors makes a lambo.

I don't think you'd regret it.

Just my .02 but, for a few extra bucks, get an '03; they were the best of the 6.2Ls.

I just got my 03 Murcielago about weeks ago. It has no rattles in it or squeaks in it and it has 15,000 miles on it. The power between the 95 and the 03 is real nice. I have not drove a Gallardo but I am sure that it is a solid car but the doors don't go up.

If I was you I would drive another one and see if it is more impressive to you.

02 Murci has a different center support then the 03 and up. If we had customer complain about the vibration under warranty there was a updated center support we could install that reduced the amount of vibration during accel. It made a big difference in the car. The car you drove most likely had the early center support.

I rode in both Wiggs Murcielago and Andrew's 06, both VERY tight cars and not a squeak in them. Granted this 02' may be a little less cared for.

The Murcielago has the true character of Lamborghini and for that I would trade the nimble tightness of the Gallardo, (unless you are going all out a TT that thing) There is nothing like a V12 behind you with a stage 2, or straight system in Wiggs case. I'd say keep looking for another Murcielago and give it another try. When you find the right one, you'll know it. I just don't think this one is it for you.

Best of luck!

It's normal. I'd suggest to buy the newest M you can afford or better yet stick with G based upon your comments. I personally prefer the M warts and all but that's a different conversation.

02 Murci has a different center support then the 03 and up. If we had customer complain about the vibration under warranty there was a updated center support we could install that reduced the amount of vibration during accel. It made a big difference in the car. The car you drove most likely had the early center support.

Jeff,

Do you have any more details about this? Part numbers or anything I can reference?

Thanks,

Adam

could you describe this part more? i am wondering if my car has one. do you have a part number?

thanks

I have owned a 2004 G and currently own a 2003 M. I would agree with your points but to me the cares just can not be compared. The G feels like a smaller, sportier car to throw around, very solid, great motor, extremely reliable but just did not have the Lambo feel I had in my Diablo SV. So, sold the G and got the M and now I personally feel I am driving a real Lambo again. Love the doors, the large car feel, torgue etc.

Mine does not have rattles or squeaks like you are commenting on. BUT, when I go in someone's driveway tht is angled from the street it will creek unlike the G. Torgue - by far my Murcie pulls more than the G....though the G feels lighter!

You can not go wrong with either car. I personally will never own another G.

For me, the G is a cool car, it's just not a Lambo.

:iamwithstupid: :icon_thumleft:

Good to see a thread with some love for the M

I have a squeak or two - but I havent been able to hear them since I got the stage 2 exhaust.

I recall Eric LV saying those same words a while back....

Words to live by! :icon_mrgreen:

very interesting, of the two early M's I've been in one had that vibration, the other didn't. The one that had the vibration was a e-gear though. Car didn't feel right.

I have owned a 2004 G and currently own a 2003 M. I would agree with your points but to me the cares just can not be compared. The G feels like a smaller, sportier car to throw around, very solid, great motor, extremely reliable but just did not have the Lambo feel I had in my Diablo SV. So, sold the G and got the M and now I personally feel I am driving a real Lambo again. Love the doors, the large car feel, torgue etc.

Mine does not have rattles or squeaks like you are commenting on. BUT, when I go in someone's driveway tht is angled from the street it will creek unlike the G. Torgue - by far my Murcie pulls more than the G....though the G feels lighter!

You can not go wrong with either car. I personally will never own another G.

Never had the quality(squeeks/rattles) concerns with the M versus the G. Knowing the M is much more pure Lambo that the G from a relilability perspective could be a minor consideration mainly because the G is such a damn good car. Personally I just couldn't rationalise trading up to an M until I drove the LP640...the whole car seemed to twist when I mashed it. I've not felt power and torque like that since I flew the P-41 Mustang "Crazy Horse".

My 06 roadster is tight as new , no rattles or squeaks . The murc is 12 cyl exotic period .

I respect the G but would never consider one .

The G drives and handles better and has a better chassis.

The Murcielago gets more attention and has scissor doors.

Personally I went from 05 Gallardo -> 06 Murcielago -> 08 Gallardo SL and just picked up a 08 G Spyder as well.

The G drives and handles better and has a better chassis.

The Murcielago gets more attention and has scissor doors.

Personally I went from 05 Gallardo -> 06 Murcielago -> 08 Gallardo SL and just picked up a 08 G Spyder as well.

I'm willing to bet that the Spyder will be your all time favorite :)

Get an LOC exhaust installed ASAP. Nothing sounds better with the top down.

Congrats!