Don't follow a speeding cop.

sprite

Normally if I see a cop I just stay off in the distance and follow their pace. I've done this many times before and never gotten pulled over even though the cops are doing way over the speed limit, so I've always assumed that they won't pull you over for this. Guess I was wrong.

Driving up from Florida I saw a state trooper get onto i75 in front of me. He was in the far left lane doing 90 so I simply followed him a good distance back doing the same speed as him. He then got over a lane and slowed down to 40-50mph and I slowed down to 70mph. As soon as I passed him the lights came on and he said he paced me at 90mph. No fcuking shit, I was following the pace he was setting. I guess cops are exempt from following the own laws that they enforce.

Lesson learned, even though I don't feel like he got a "clean kill". LOL.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:lol2: So did he give you a ticket or did you say to him, "Yeah, I was following the pace you set!"

I told him I was following his pace and he comes back with some smart ass remark about "Does your car not have a speedometer". I told him it was Italian and not very accurate LOL.

Then he tried to claim I was pulling on him (which I was not) and that he was speeding up to follow my pace (even though he was in front of me) stating that he had some exemption to speed in order to pace me.

No he gave me the ticket for the full 90mph. It's inconvenient for me to go to court and I can do the online driving school so just going to do that.

It also shows how they profile, another cop walked up and goes "You are in a Lamborghini, of course you were speeding".

I knew I was getting a ticket as soon as he walked out of the car though. I've found out that if they put their hat on before getting out of the car you are nearly guaranteed a ticket.

If you don't have anything better to do, just go to court to waste time and, like someone said, have him give his reason in front of the judge for going 90. It's not a crime to make someone look bad or waste their time -- especially when they are doing dumb shit like that.

If you don't have anything better to do, just go to court to waste time and, like someone said, have him give his reason in front of the judge for going 90. It's not a crime to make someone look bad or waste their time -- especially when they are doing dumb shit like that.

It would be a complete waste of time for me as the court is ~5 hours away and I would probably get another ticket getting there and back, not to mention all the miles. The cop won this one.

You might be able to fight it as entrapment as I would not have been speeding if the cop didn't.

why was he going 90mph? could this be a case of entrapment?

No. ITS NOT ENTRAPMENT.

You have no idea WHY the cop is going 90.... He might have been on the way to an officer needs help call.... Or a kid drowning..... Or he may have just wanted to see if you were dumb enough to try to PACE HIM so he could ticket you.... (congratulations on that, BTW....)

Either way, he didnt INVITE you to follow him (if he had, you would be guilty of racing as well, and it still wouldnt be entrapment).

PLEASE.... For the love of God.... IF you go to Court, dont even think about saying the word "entrapment...." If I was the judge, before you got the first syllable "ent" out, I would cut you off, and spend the next several minutes laughing my ass off, and then, once I managed to control myself, Id throw the book at you.

and RomanDad has spoken :)

If the cop is responding to a call does he not have to turn his lights on to signal that he is speeding and that others should move out of his way?

and RomanDad has spoken :)

If the cop is responding to a call does he not have to turn his lights on to signal that he is speeding and that others should move out of his way?

I dont know procedure in Atlanta, but in California- nope.

Ive been in a cop car- no lights- no sirens, going 80 in a 35.

Generally the rule is they need to get to their calls as promptly as they can, without endangering the public safety... No judge is going to tell a cop he drove too fast, unless his actions result in a wreck.

I was silly enought to slowly overtake a slightly speeding cop when I was younger. I was in a pack of cars that all crept up on this cop so the cop knew we were all speeding, then no one overtook him so I did lol. The cop tailed me for a while then pulled me over. Actually it was no big deal, he was not a highway patrol car and just made me wait while he dug up my driving record only to find it was clean, gave me a short lecture and let me go haha. Defenitely wasted 10 minutes of my life, but it was interesting to see how they reacted :icon_mrgreen: .

If you care about the points on your license or your time take traffic school, but if you don't, ask for your day in court. he shouldn't running that fast without his roof-lights on during normal

traffic patrol. If you go to court the cop might not think its worth his hassle to show up, or at least you might get a reduced fine and you get to tell your side of the story.

I dont know procedure in Atlanta, but in California- nope.

Ive been in a cop car- no lights- no sirens, going 80 in a 35.

Generally the rule is they need to get to their calls as promptly as they can, without endangering the public safety...

A kid I went to school with became a cop and did that without his lights on. He hit a car and killed the person. An ambulance also was speeding without it's lights on and hit my grandmother as she pulled out. She ended up in the hospital, but recovered fine.

Sprite, you can write a letter in lieu of your appearance such it is so far away. Who cares if you lose anyway. If you write it, the judge has to read it, and what gets said gets said. Only take a minute to do. You were speeding and breaking the law, and there is no way around that so don't even try to get out of it. However, if speed limits are set for safety, then speeding without your lights on as a police officer is always unsafe. That is what I'd say in court whether I'd win or not, and it would certainly reflect poorly on the officer. You never know, maybe the judge will also be of your opinion and tell the officer not to do that again. The law tends to side with the law, but you never know what happens behind closed doors and sometimes cops are very wrong and will be told so.

Gotta follow ambulances, they don't pull you over

None has gotten away from me yet...

A kid I went to school with became a cop and did that without his lights on. He hit a car and killed the person. An ambulance also was speeding without it's lights on and hit my grandmother as she pulled out.

If speed limits are set for safety, then speeding without your lights on as a police officer is always unsafe.

One reason they might not, I remember Romandad mentioned in a post some time ago, is that people driving cars can react in extremely stupid ways if a cop or ambulance flicks on their lights and/or siren. To try to keep the traffic acting normal, they thus may leave them off.

What happened to your friend?

One reason they might not, I remember Romandad mentioned in a post some time ago, is that people driving cars can react in extremely stupid ways if a cop or ambulance flicks on their lights and/or siren. To try to keep the traffic acting normal, they thus may leave them off.

What happened to your friend?

He wasn't a friend, but I knew his older brother from way back. He was convicted of something, didn't go to jail, but was of course removed from the force among a lot of other things. Not sure what happened after that, but I imagine it ruined his life more or less. City was sued for some huge amount of money and I'm pretty sure they won.

Obviously the cop wasn't going anywhere important if he decided to pull Sprite over. Setting a great example about safe speed :rolleyes: What makes it unsafe for Sprite to drive at 90 mph, but safe for the cop? is he somehow a significantly better driver? His car surely isn't safer at that speed than a Lambo.