my first miles in a Countach

Albert-LP

yesterday (friday 13...) Salvioli finally put the engine in my car, a carbed 5000S with Ansa sport exhaust, and gave me the car for a ride: that was my first ride ever on a Countach and on a Lamborghini too.

It was just a very short ride, three miles more or less, but it was enough to have a first impression of the car for a total rookie like i am.

Well, the car is by far easier to drive than expected, at least at normal speed.

Clutch is not so heavy and lateral visibility is bad but not dramathic as read.

The shifter is a bit hard but not too much.

I had no problems with pedals despite my big 12 1/2 foot, also wearing common shoes.

There is enough room inside for a 6' 0" guy like me, but i think if you are 6' 2" or more you won't be happy in that car.

I did a short reverse, moving the car backward while sitting on the door panel: very easy, good rear view, you can reach easily the clutch an brake pedals when sitting on the door panel and you do not need to push the throttle pedal to move the car. If you do not seat on the door panel, rear visibility is almost nothing.

You can leave a crossroad without pressing the throttle pedal, with the engine idling: very useful to increase clutch life...

Engine has big low RPM thrust and at 4000 RPM you have enough power to get rid of the traffic with very quick overtakes.

The most amazing thing was the level of noise in the car: despite the Ansa exhaust, when the car goes to normal constant speed the noise is very very low for an old mid mounted engine car, but when you open the throttle the engine roars and your smile grows up. I was told by Salvioli that this does not happen with QV or 25th because they have engine air intakes just behind your ears so they do much more noise.

All good? no, i did not like just two things: throttle and steer at low speed.

The throttle pedal is too heavy and it's not easy to dose it at low rpm: i need more practice to learn how to dose it.

The steer is very good when the speed is over 40-50 MPH, but quite hard at low speed, due to the lack of a power steering: you need to rotate the steer with strenght, or the car won't turn.

ciao

All good? no, i did not like just two things: throttle and steer at low speed.

The throttle pedal is too heavy and it's not easy to dose it at low rpm: i need more practice to learn how to dose it.

The steer is very good when the speed is over 40-50 MPH, but quite hard at low speed, due to the lack of a power steering: you need to rotate the steer with strenght, or the car won't turn.

ciao

Congratulations, remember to eat your spinach.

popeye.jpg

nice to hear you like it

the steering is heavy at park imo...while moving is just perfect

as for visibilty....wait till you will drive it in regular traffic or roads ;)

Glad you likes it.

Without doubt it is probably one of the most unique drives of all time.

When I first drove mine, 60s/70s Le Mans cars, etc for the street was the first thing to come in my head.

Congratulations

When you become more experienced with the car, you will find it easier to drive.

I like the steering.

Congratulations

When you become more experienced with the car, you will find it easier to drive.

I like the steering.

yes, the steer is very good, but i need just a bit of time to remember how to use such a steer: too many years spent with power steering made me forget how to use a steer without any aid. This is mine problem and not a car ploblem.

Throttle pedal is hard to push due to six caburators springs: i never opened six caburators togheters as my youth car had just one... i need practice also here... but i think that after 300 miles (and not just three) i will be able to use very well both steer and throttle pedal, or at least i hope...

Funny to read that your first impressions of the Countach was just like mine was. When I had the chanse a few months ago to drive one, I was POSITIVELY pleased that the car actually was better to drive than expected. Having read roadtests in magazines and books for 20+ years, I was afraid that this heavy-worked machine would not be a fun drive, and as such smash all my dreams of ever owning one. Why have a car that is terrible to drive? And to my luck, it was a much easier car to drive than i expected (might have something to do with that my Pantera wich I have to measure it to, is allmost a racecar, and not the smoothest drive). King of supercars!!

Yesterday the car was finally delivered and i could do a longer road test: i think there are too much legend on this car, as Countach is very simple to use at normal speed.

I do not know how it handles when you reach its the limits, but do not want even know...

Engine is very very smooth and powerful: this car is very simple to use even judged today.

Just brakes show their age: pedal is very heavy and braking force is just enough.

here the pic just after delivery

dscf2739p.jpg

Your car looks great! Now you an start to enjoy it. You will get used to driving it . You need to be real careful of the blind spots when changing lanes.

Thanks, guys: i will post friday the official set of pics we did this morning for ASI papers.

ciao