Jay Walker's Amazing Private Library

WheelsRCool

That is tits....

I can never have enough shelves in my library.... I average 2 books a week.... That adds up Fast.

* An original 1957 Russian Sputnik, the world’s first space satellite (one of several backups built by the USSR) and the U.S. response, a Vanguard satellite made from surviving parts of the actual American satellite that blew up on the launch pad.

* Jewel-encrusted illuminated manuscripts and a complete Bible handwritten on sheepskin, from 1240 AD.

* The first illustrated history book, printed in 1493; the first illustrated medical book from 1499; the first medical book to illustrate the human brain in 1550; and a copy of the 1664 Micrographia, the first book to illustrate the astounding images seen through the very first microscopes.

* An instruction manual for a Saturn V rocket, along with a signed American flag carried to the surface of moon and back on the first lunar landing.

* A spectacular chandelier from the James Bond movie “Die Another Day,” internally lit by thousands of computer-controlled LEDs.

* The napkin on which President Franklin D. Roosevelt jotted down his plan to win World War II, just four months after Pearl Harbor… and the Top Secret memo written by the General with whom FDR was having lunch… and which kept FDR’s napkin classified until 1966.

* One of two known Anastatic Facsimiles of the original 1776 Declaration of Independence (made directly from the original using a wet-copy process).

* A specially commissioned, internally lit sculpture by Clyde Lynds, depicting a massive book whose facing pages symbolize humanity’s search for knowledge both on the cosmic scale, and on the scale of the human mind.

* A 1699 atlas containing the first maps to show the sun, not the earth, as the center of the known universe. ("This map, by far the most important map in history, divides the Age of Faith from the Age of Reason,” says Jay.)

* A finely detailed book, filled with text and pictures, woven entirely in silk using Jacquard loom cards. These cards were the forerunners of the modern computer punch card — but the book was created in 1868.

* A leaf from a Gutenberg Bible, the first book printed using movable type.

Does anybody have an idea of how much any of these would cost to purchase?

This is incredible :icon_pray:

My library is all now in Audible, so I have all the space in the world. Along with the tempo sped up 3x so you go through a 30 hour audiobook in 10 hours.

* An original 1957 Russian Sputnik, the world’s first space satellite (one of several backups built by the USSR) and the U.S. response, a Vanguard satellite made from surviving parts of the actual American satellite that blew up on the launch pad.

* Jewel-encrusted illuminated manuscripts and a complete Bible handwritten on sheepskin, from 1240 AD.

* The first illustrated history book, printed in 1493; the first illustrated medical book from 1499; the first medical book to illustrate the human brain in 1550; and a copy of the 1664 Micrographia, the first book to illustrate the astounding images seen through the very first microscopes.

* An instruction manual for a Saturn V rocket, along with a signed American flag carried to the surface of moon and back on the first lunar landing.

* A spectacular chandelier from the James Bond movie “Die Another Day,” internally lit by thousands of computer-controlled LEDs.

* The napkin on which President Franklin D. Roosevelt jotted down his plan to win World War II, just four months after Pearl Harbor… and the Top Secret memo written by the General with whom FDR was having lunch… and which kept FDR’s napkin classified until 1966.

* One of two known Anastatic Facsimiles of the original 1776 Declaration of Independence (made directly from the original using a wet-copy process).

* A specially commissioned, internally lit sculpture by Clyde Lynds, depicting a massive book whose facing pages symbolize humanity’s search for knowledge both on the cosmic scale, and on the scale of the human mind.

* A 1699 atlas containing the first maps to show the sun, not the earth, as the center of the known universe. ("This map, by far the most important map in history, divides the Age of Faith from the Age of Reason,” says Jay.)

* A finely detailed book, filled with text and pictures, woven entirely in silk using Jacquard loom cards. These cards were the forerunners of the modern computer punch card — but the book was created in 1868.

* A leaf from a Gutenberg Bible, the first book printed using movable type.

Does anybody have an idea of how much any of these would cost to purchase?

This is incredible :icon_pray:

I assume most are somewhat priceless.

I have no idea as to this gentleman's level of wealth, but I wouldn't sell them unless I was in serious financial distress.

That library is SIIICCCK!!!

Looks like the etched panels from that movie where the house was supposed to kill the entire group. Forget the name of it.

Just googled him. His net worth was at about 4 Billion.

Founded Priceline.com

I think it might be somewhat less now, as that was at the height of the Dot Com bubble, mostly due to Priceline stock. But I'd venture it still is up there.

I think it might be somewhat less now, as that was at the height of the Dot Com bubble, mostly due to Priceline stock. But I'd venture it still is up there.

Um, I think he'll be fine. Priceline's stock is up roughly 7X in the last two years.

Interesting note - William Shatner took Priceline stock instead of being paid for his "Priceline Negotiator" commercials... Great move.

That library is stunning and very inspiring. Sure to be one of the greatest private collections in the world.

What an amazing collection of Manuscripts and First editions! I aspire to hold a fraction of that collection some day. Amazing acquisitions, and the architecture is to die for! Bravo on an amazing find. Nice to see some people on here with class and good taste in art :)

That place is like a candy store. Love the architecture and the design aspects of the place. But with that said I wouldnt like to own it, I would want to read the books and be hands on but I would be too worried about damaging a book or an artifact to even touch them. The building is a work of art to house works of art and I love it.

Um, I think he'll be fine. Priceline's stock is up roughly 7X in the last two years.

Well then I guess he's doing fine then!

The design of the library is based off of M.C. Escher.

Here is a website with some pictures of the home itself: http://www.markfinlay.com/nr6%20ridgefield.html To see pictures of the library, click the left pointing arrow, and you'll go to them immediately. Clicking right you go through pics of the home first.

And here is Mr. Walker giving a talk about the library: http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/jay_wal...magination.html

Also here is another stunning private library, not unique in the way Walker's is, but still very nice (owned by Dallas real-estate mogul Harlan Crow):

Picture-1112.png

Picture-78.png

Picture-87.png

Picture-1612.png

Did anyone notice it looked like he had authentic dinosaur remains as well.

That has to be a pretty penny.

Did anyone notice it looked like he had authentic dinosaur remains as well.

That has to be a pretty penny.

Yeah, looked like Compy bones, like the little dinosaur from the beginning of Jurassic park 2 that attack the little girl.