Concealed carry gun? Recomendations?

joebiz

And again, a thread that puzzles my mind, damn you guys, you are packing serious shit! Makes me hardly want to come visit :lol2:

You can come on out, just don't fcuk with us. :icon_mrgreen:

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I never had to use or pull my gun out in public.

However I have been exposed to a couple situations that if they had escalated it was very nice to know that I had a handgun with me.

I like to be proactive in life especially when it involves the use of a gun.

I've got the XD-9mm it's just a little too big to stuff in my front pocket. Love that gun, my favorite Semiauto right now.

I decided to go with the Ruger LCP Coyote special- thanks to you guys!

-off topic, yes I have had to use a gun before. Was a home invasion in 2004. BG was between me and my wife with our little one and I had the laser on his breast plate. I would have not hesitated to pull the trigger, but it was an AR15 and he was (unknowingly) directly between me and my 18 month old girl in her crib, though she was behind a wall. I walked him to the door. Ended up catching the guy, he was freaked out on PCP and had hit several houses in the area.

Only reason I grabbed the AR was because it had night equipment on it and the lights were off.

I hate the AR for home defense.... For all the reasons you mention. If you have to carry a rifle on foot patrol for marathon distances, and engage badguys wearing body armor at 200 Meters.... Hands down its the gun to grab.

But for home defense grab a pistol, shotgun or SMG, and make sure before hand theyve got a light on them.

I hate the AR for home defense.... For all the reasons you mention. If you have to carry a rifle on foot patrol for marathon distances, and engage badguys wearing body armor at 200 Meters.... Hands down its the gun to grab.

But for home defense grab a pistol, shotgun or SMG, and make sure before hand theyve got a light on them.

Thanks to Redlambo, RomanDad and Joebiz for answering my question.

I agree: you can not use a rifle like the AR15 at home: you could kill other relatives or your neighbor too. And it is too long ang big: it's not an MP5...

Better have a shotgun (my personal choice if i had to face a burglar at home): a devastating stopping power at short range with low penetration force.

Here you can have a gun at home (but not out of home), but you had better not use it: law here is terrible and if you kill (or wound) the burglar you probably will sentenced to 10-20 years of jail. Better help the burglar to stole your things...

this is my bedside hole-popper. XD9mm w/ super-bright-burn-your-eyeballs flashlight and laser. I've tried w/ and w/o a laser and I can just say for me- I can shoot straighter with a green pulse laser. Just me though.

gallery_xd_1.jpg

:iamwithstupid:

1 well placed (i.e. hitting the target) 9mm rounds is better than missing 3 with a high caliber pistol (or a pistol you don't know well).

I have the USP (full size) in .40. Can't recommend it for CC, as it was intended for frog-men or spec ops guys with gloves on. The trigger pull is horrendous for that reason. If you get the "LEM" trigger, it might be better.

To OP:

Buy whatever is most comfortable for you and that you can shoot well. I found I can shoot a SIG 229 (9mm) better than any gun out there. My next pistol will be a SIG.

Kel-Tec I've heard a lot of good about - buddies of mine carry them as backup guns all the time.

HK, SIG, Glock, Springfield XD, Kel-Tec, you can't go wrong. I would pick from that pool IMO

I totally agree with the Sig. I've never owned one but that's on my list.

Another favorite is my tried and true Ruger P-89 (with the 16mag). A little long for CC but I love it as an all arounder it's soo smooth and I'm dead-eyed with it.

I have 2 I use for my CC. Both are the subcompact and can fit and conceal easily.

1.) Kahr CW40 (also can get the 9mm or 45cal). Very small and can fit into a pants pocket or waist band easily. I went with the 40 for a little more HP than a .380 that you mentioned. Would not be a gun I would fire at the range often, but handles nice and great accuracy from 20 yards or less. I shot the 45 version and the kick is just a bit to much due to the short barrel. The 40 does kick a bit to much but manageable.

2.) A little bigger but one of my favorite CC guns is the Kimber Ultra Carry Crimson chambered in .45 cal. It is an awesome 1911 and very small for a 1911. Accurate, dependable, and extremely well made. With only a 3.8 inch barrel it is as accurate in medium range 25 yards as my full size Autos (Kimber and Springfields). You can shoot it all day at a range with little fatigue. It is also a great looking piece. It is wider and a bit longer than the Kahr for Concealed, however it is still small enough to hide in a waist band or coat pocket nicely. It does run about 2X the price of the Kahr (400ish) vs the Kimber at (1000ish).

The Kahrs are notorious for needing to really have a break in period to be fully dependable as a CC gun. And mine was no different - I had several FTF's with my CW40 until I got close to the documented 300 rounds through the gun. Now with over 500 through it, I can put any ammo in it, and it shoots like a champ. I nearly traded it in before that 300 rounds due to the occasional failure to feed issues - but the small size which is awesome for deep concealed carry kept me putting rounds through it for the documented break in period - once I got to around 250 through it I have had no FTF's or any other issues.

Just some thoughts.

Also. Don't get too hung up on caliber. Being able to perform a proper mozambique drill with the recoil is far more important than the size of the bullets. If you can put 3 where you need to you can be firing hypodermic needles and the bg will be down for the count.

...'mozambique drill'.. ?! ... WTF ?!

Every day is a schoolday. I've clearly lead a sheltered life. And where guns are concerned I get the feeling RD knows his onions.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozambique_Drill

...'mozambique drill'.. ?! ... WTF ?!

Every day is a schoolday. I've clearly lead a sheltered life. And where guns are concerned I get the feeling RD knows his onions.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozambique_Drill

I only know what Ive learned over the years..... But THESE are the guys I train with....

(The first guy out of the vehicle is "Voodoo" the Second is "Hollywood"... Two of the greatest guys, and best firearms trainers Ive ever met...)

If youre ever in California, let me know.... Ill take you up to the middle of nowhere and let you shoot some shit....

Romandad- Spreading the 2nd amendment one European at a time.

If youre ever in California, let me know.... Ill take you up to the middle of nowhere and let you shoot some shit....

Thanks RD - or Sir as I'll refer to you.... Down Tustin/Irvine way in the new year may catch up...

Thanks RD - or Sir as I'll refer to you.... Down Tustin/Irvine way in the new year may catch up...

Perfect!

I only know what Ive learned over the years..... But THESE are the guys I train with....

(The first guy out of the vehicle is "Voodoo" the Second is "Hollywood"... Two of the greatest guys, and best firearms trainers Ive ever met...)

Just looked at Falcon's website.. What a great range of courses, I like the sound of Tactical Pistol I & II....

Also great videos you posted...

• 3 months later...

My Boy Hollywood....

Hollywood.jpg

I carry a Walther P99, its slightly bigger then the PPK (which I also like) but I am more accurate with it. before that I had a glock, but the glock was heavier and when you carry all day a few ounces make a big difference. never had to use it.

for home defense I have a 20 gauge remington compact shotgun, I have had to pull it out a few times, caught a few people snooping around my property, never shot it at anyone yet.

For those of you with a subcompact Glock, how do you carry it? What holster and do you keep a round in chamber?

I'm looking at the Kel-Tec 380s for something easier to carry everyday.

For those of you with a subcompact Glock, how do you carry it? What holster and do you keep a round in chamber?

I use a Crossbreed Supertuck to carry my G36. I also have a simple and cheap Uncle Mike's IWB holster depending on the situation. I currently do NOT carry a round in the chamber. My thoughts are that if the situation requires me to pull out my gun I better have time to chamber a round....if not then I probably shouldn't be showing my hand yet.

I do have an inert safety round in the chamber. Bright translucent red plastic with a spring so that if the trigger is pulled I don't damage the firing pin. Plus it allows the wife a very easy visual indicator as to whether or not the gun is hot.

I carry the glock in a galco ankle glove..... Which is kindof awkward since I wear shorts most of the time....

O

Kel tec p3at's feel like a cheap pos gun imo. Make sure to handle one before you buy one.

I just about bought the lcp today but I wasn't going to pay full retail for a gun at a gun show.