What did you do today?

topcabron

I don't know. I have never done it, but I started becoming curious after seeing the competition at the recent Arnold Classic and the advertisements for it at my local Powerhouse gym.

I *think* I can do my body weight 20x, but that is just a guess. I don't have good endurance and I build up lactic acid fairly quickly because of the type of training I do, so I don't expect to do too many reps. I am going to try it on Monday and I'll report back with a video.

If you did 185 15x AFTER doing 225 8x, you will most likely get it 20x when fresh (after proper warm-up, of course) Only issue I foresee in your case is a spotter. Don't you work out by yourself? An exercise such as this, and given that you will go to failure to maximize the most amount of reps, you are going to need a spotter.

I have a trainer that I workout with 4 times a week. He comes to my house, and also trains my wife. Of course he just went out of town for the next week and a half, so I have to workout friday by myself and all of next week. I have no muscle endurance either, we normally do sets in the 8-12 rep range.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I may try this on friday with the smith machine (chest day). The smith machine bar only weighs 20 pounds so I will have to add 25 more pounds than I do to the free weight bar to compensate. I know the smith is different than the free weight bar, but it will give me a good idea of what I can do. And I wont need a spotter.

I wonder if this is below average, average, or above average?

It is hard to say because you know how the youtube vids are..You are more than likely only going to see the best. But IMHO if you can do your own bodyweight 10x, there is no arguing that you are very strong for your size.

I have a trainer that I workout with 4 times a week. He comes to my house, and also trains my wife. Of course he just went out of town for the next week and a half, so I have to workout friday by myself and all of next week. I have no muscle endurance either, we normally do sets in the 8-12 rep range.

Got ya. Definitely don't perform this without a spot! But I am sure you already know that.

I may try this on friday with the smith machine (chest day). The smith machine bar only weighs 20 pounds so I will have to add 25 more pounds than I do to the free weight bar to compensate. I know the smith is different than the free weight bar, but it will give me a good idea of what I can do. And I wont need a spotter.

Right, keep in mind that the Smith machine, even when the same weight is on it that's on the free weight bar, is still a little easier due to the lack of stabalizer muscles used. But like you said, it will give you an idea. Make sure to let us know. :icon_thumleft:

Right, keep in mind that the Smith machine, even when the same weight is on it that's on the free weight bar, is still a little easier due to the lack of stabalizer muscles used. But like you said, it will give you an idea. Make sure to let us know. :icon_thumleft:

Yes, its easier in some ways, but harder in others. The fact that the bar only moves in 1 plane is a disadvantage. Also the fact that you cant move the bar up and down as fast is a disadvantage. In the past the comparison of what I can do on each has been pretty much the same. If I can do 17 on smith, I know what to shoot for on the free weight when the trainer comes back, and I think it will be really close, within 1 rep either way.

Yes, its easier in some ways, but harder in others. The fact that the bar only moves in 1 plane is a disadvantage.

I have always thought this is an advantage of the smith machine. No stabilizer muscles involved with the movement in 1 plane.

Personally, I have always been able to do about 20 lbs more on the smith machine than the free weight bar. But who cares, it doesn't matter. Go out there and let us know how you do.. :icon_thumleft:

Yeah, let's hear the report when you're finished vbox.

I'm doing back tonight so I'm thinking of using the dip belt and putting a 45 and a 25 on there and see if I can get 1 dead hang pull up with it. That would be a 295lb pull up for me.

Yeah, let's hear the report when you're finished vbox.

I'm doing back tonight so I'm thinking of using the dip belt and putting a 45 and a 25 on there and see if I can get 1 dead hang pull up with it. That would be a 295lb pull up for me.

That would be impressive. I havent done 1 rep max on pull ups in several weeks. I might give it a shot today for fun.

I have always thought this is an advantage of the smith machine. No stabilizer muscles involved with the movement in 1 plane.

Personally, I have always been able to do about 20 lbs more on the smith machine than the free weight bar. But who cares, it doesn't matter. Go out there and let us know how you do.. :icon_thumleft:

Well last time I used the smith machine for presses I did decline bench press, and did 17 reps at 200 pounds. Then the next week I did the same workout again but with the trainer and we used the freeweight bar. I got 17 reps at 200 again. I really only ever use the smith machine for chest presses when the trainer is out of town which is like 4 times a year lol.

Well last time I used the smith machine for presses I did decline bench press, and did 17 reps at 200 pounds. Then the next week I did the same workout again but with the trainer and we used the freeweight bar. I got 17 reps at 200 again. I really only ever use the smith machine for chest presses when the trainer is out of town which is like 4 times a year lol.

hey vbox - you said your trainer comes to the house. Do you have a big enough set up to get all your workouts done there, or do you still have to hit the gym here and there to do some stuff you don't have the equipment for?

We have a bench, bar, plates, e-z curl bar, and a dumbbell rack with 10's through 50's, and I have a set of 70's. I will get a shoulder workout at home here and there but I'm not really satisfied with doing other bodyparts at home because I always miss 1 or 2 exercises that I don't have the equipment for.

hey vbox - you said your trainer comes to the house. Do you have a big enough set up to get all your workouts done there, or do you still have to hit the gym here and there to do some stuff you don't have the equipment for?

We have a bench, bar, plates, e-z curl bar, and a dumbbell rack with 10's through 50's, and I have a set of 70's. I will get a shoulder workout at home here and there but I'm not really satisfied with doing other bodyparts at home because I always miss 1 or 2 exercises that I don't have the equipment for.

Have you seen the pictures I posted in this thread of my home gym?

Sweet set up man. What's the purpose of the raised area? How many sq ft is the total space? Is that space on the first or the second floor? The ceiling looks like it would be above a garage or something with the canted sides.

I have all Life Fitness and Hammer Strength commercial grade equipment. The plates and dumbells/barbells are all from Intek.

In my home gym I have the following pieces of equipment:

8 foot half rack with pull up handles, spotter platforms and removable heavy duty dip handle

smith machine

cable motion dual adjustable pulley machine with 3 different pull up handles

seated calf raise machine

back extension

Leg extension/Leg curl combo machine

Plate loaded preacher curl

Linear Leg press

dumbell pairs going up in 5 pound increments from 5 pound to 110 pounds

ez curl barbell going up in 10 pound increments from 20 pounds to 110 pounds

Treadmill

Elliptical

adjustable decline bench

adjustable multiple adjustable bench

Lots of plates, 2.5 pounds, 5 pounds, 10 pounds, 25 pounds, 35 pounds, 45 pounds, 100s.

Sweet set up man. What's the purpose of the raised area? How many sq ft is the total space? Is that space on the first or the second floor? The ceiling looks like it would be above a garage or something with the canted sides.

The gym is upstairs over my rec room. There is a crap load of weight in that room, so we had a structural engineer come out and tell us what we need to do for support. The raised part is due to the golf simulator in the rec room downstairs. Although the raised part worked out great the way I set up the room, and it allows for steps which helps with certain excercises. I think its about 700 or so sqft. I had this room built out after buying the home, it was nothing but a dark semi finished attic. I spent 100s of hours figuring out what to get and how to place it. It really is the perfect set up for the room and limitations I was dealing with.

What did you have to do structurally to reinforce the house with all that weight?

I have a big media room over my garage that is probably about 600ft - and we thought of converting it, but like I said, it's over the garage and if something wasn't supported properly, that would be bad. lol

What did you have to do structurally to reinforce the house with all that weight?

I have a big media room over my garage that is probably about 600ft - and we thought of converting it, but like I said, it's over the garage and if something wasn't supported properly, that would be bad. lol

We already had a really good start with the materials used and the distance apart of the beams in the floor. We had 3/4 inch plywood already down, so the engineer suggested another 1/2 inch on top of that. Then we put about 1 and 1/2 inches of rubber in 3 layers over that. My cable motion dual adjustable pulley machine weighs 1200 pounds just on its own and its the heaviest piece and the foot print of that is fairly small so its a lot of pressure in a small space.

Okay, did back tonight and tried the 1RM dead hang right out of the gate. Got the 45lb plate no problem. Added a 25lb plate and no problem. Added another 25lb plate and squeezed one out. Stopped there. Funny thing, my next sets of pull ups were a joke after doing 3 1RM sets. I busted out 3 sets in a row of 15, 15, 12 and it was like dropping the weighted donut off a baseball bat. I felt like I weighed 150! Lol.

Anyways, I can now say that I can dead hang a 320lb pull up - my bodyweoght plus 95lbs. Good day at work and in the gym. Can't beat that with a stick.

Funny thing - everyone around me in the gym was looking at me funny as I waddled up to the pull up bar with those plates hanging off me. Must have been a sight.

Okay, did back tonight and tried the 1RM dead hang right out of the gate. Got the 45lb plate no problem. Added a 25lb plate and no problem. Added another 25lb plate and squeezed one out. Stopped there. Funny thing, my next sets of pull ups were a joke after doing 3 1RM sets. I busted out 3 sets in a row of 15, 15, 12 and it was like dropping the weighted donut off a baseball bat. I felt like I weighed 150! Lol.

Anyways, I can now say that I can dead hang a 320lb pull up - my bodyweoght plus 95lbs. Good day at work and in the gym. Can't beat that with a stick.

Thats impressive, good job. I got 316.8 pounds today, body weight of 186.2 with 130.6 pound added. Thats 70.1% of my body weight added.

Thats impressive, good job. I got 316.8 pounds today, body weight of 186.2 with 130.6 pound added. Thats 70.1% of my body weight added.

Shit man that is ridiculous. You're 4lbs off what I did and I outweigh you by 40 lbs!! Guess I have some work to do.

And to think I was going to eat fajitas and drink some stellas this weekend...boooooo. Hahahaa

Shit man that is ridiculous. You're 4lbs off what I did and I outweigh you by 40 lbs!! Guess I have some work to do.

And to think I was going to eat fajitas and drink some stellas this weekend...boooooo. Hahahaa

Yeah but this is your first time doing it, so ull improve quickly.

I was 4.8 pounds lighter than the last time I went for 1 rep max (191 vs 186.2) and my total went up from 308.4 to 316.8, so I pulled 130.6 pounds vs last time 117.4 pounds added to me.

So my % of body weight pulled went from 61.5% to 70.1%

I barely got it by the hair of my chinny chin chin.....literally, haha. Thats a 100 pound plate which actually weighs 103 pounds, and a 25 pound plate, which actualy weight 25.6 pounds, the belt weighs 2 pounds. I weighed myself on a scale with all the weight on, thats how I know how much total im doing.

post-6539-1299817809.jpg

whoa - now that is close. Looks legit though. I'm liking these little sidebars to my workouts. Looking forward to legs today, arms Saturday, and the bodyweight bench press challenge on Sunday or Monday.

whoa - now that is close. Looks legit though. I'm liking these little sidebars to my workouts. Looking forward to legs today, arms Saturday, and the bodyweight bench press challenge on Sunday or Monday.

I am going to do the body weight bench press thing today. This morning I weiged in at 184.8 when I got up, so I will just go with the 185 pound press. I am a little tired out from all the weighted pullups I did yesterday, so that will probably affect my press reps a little. Also I am going to be using the smith machine, which I am not all that thrilled about, since I am really not used to using it for bench presses.